PDA

View Full Version : Carey Davis: Food for thought

TheWarDen86
08-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Okay, I like Carey Davis. Not sure why, maybe it's his size. But what does he actually contribute besides pretty good special teams tackling? I guess the question is: Upon seeing the performance of our "potentials" last night, who loses out on a roster spot due to Carey Davis?

*disclaimer: I realize it's only one preseason game. But I'm bored and was thinking about it. k?

Indo
08-14-2009, 03:02 PM
The better question is -- Who does Davis lose to?

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 03:04 PM
I think it's going to go the other way. I bet Frank Summers takes his spot. I know ever since we've been hearing stories about Summers struggling in camp and getting blown up by Gay, that people have been starting to think he's not going to even make the roster. But he did very nicely at fullback against the Cards and had a good ST tackle. Davis is on the roster because of his ST ability and FB. Summers is pretty much the same, except he's bigger, younger, and possibly faster. I think Summers takes his spot.

MasterOfPuppets
08-14-2009, 03:07 PM
I think it's going to go the other way. I bet Frank Summers takes his spot. I know ever since we've been hearing stories about Summers struggling in camp and getting blown up by Gay, that people have been starting to think he's not going to even make the roster. But he did very nicely at fullback against the Cards and had a good ST tackle. Davis is on the roster because of his ST ability and FB. Summers is pretty much the same, except he's bigger, younger, and possibly faster. I think Summers takes his spot.
summers didn't help himself much by dropping that pass ...:doh:

Psyychoward86
08-14-2009, 03:11 PM
summers didn't help himself much by dropping that pass ...:doh:

Haha, yeah that's true. And his sucky carries didnt help either. But his FB and ST work was good, just sayin'. Summers has a good chance to knock Davis out of the roster.

SteelLloyd95
08-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I disagree. I think Tomlin puts too much value is veteran experience and he will keep Davis over the Tank. I hope I am wrong.
Also, Redman, who showed himself as our new short yardage guy (albeit against 2nd/3rd team d..but he had 2/3rd team line blocking) will miss a spot.
I think Arians is a big part of this as well. He seems to think Davis is better than he is. If you look at the games last year, there were times when Davis was put as a 3rd down back in critical situations when Moore would have done much better. Maybe Davis is one of those guys who looks good in practice so he stays on the team. In reality, he is weak and feeble and gets tackled easily. I hope I am wrong and Tomlin keeps either Summers or Redman instead.

steelreserve
08-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I think keeping Summers instead of Davis is the pretty obvious call.

Neither one has done shit for us, but Summers has potential and Davis doesn't.

tyler289
08-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Summers has the potential to be a pretty decent FB/HB, while Davis is just kind of "meh"

Preacher
08-14-2009, 04:52 PM
IMO... Davis was last years' Mahan....

Scapegoated for all the woes that we didn't like. Was he steller? Absolutely not. Probably not even average. But he definitely wasn't the bumbling fool many have made him out to be over the last 10 months.

I think Davis stays this year, and Summers works his way into the game in the late minutes.

Next year or the year after, Summers becomes the FB... but oNLY if he can prove to be effective as a runner, pass catcher, and also ST's player.

steelreserve
08-14-2009, 05:06 PM
IMO... Davis was last years' Mahan....

Scapegoated for all the woes that we didn't like. Was he steller? Absolutely not. Probably not even average. But he definitely wasn't the bumbling fool many have made him out to be over the last 10 months.

I think Davis stays this year, and Summers works his way into the game in the late minutes.

Next year or the year after, Summers becomes the FB... but oNLY if he can prove to be effective as a runner, pass catcher, and also ST's player.

Maybe we are being too critical of Davis, but I sure hope he's gone. Mostly because I want to see how Summers turns out, but there's no way we keep 6 RBs, or probably even 5 RBs. And if we tried to hide Summers on the practice squad for a year, I bet someone would snag him.

Seriously, cutting Davis would be no great loss. At worst, we'd just go back to McHugh or singleback -- neither of those worked great, but we weren't a hell of a lot more productive with Davis in there either.

revefsreleets
08-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Tomlin has a hard-on for Davis though...I think Summers has a TON more upside, and would probably chew the side of his own face off to play for the Steelers...

Preacher
08-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Maybe we are being too critical of Davis, but I sure hope he's gone. Mostly because I want to see how Summers turns out, but there's no way we keep 6 RBs, or probably even 5 RBs. And if we tried to hide Summers on the practice squad for a year, I bet someone would snag him.

Seriously, cutting Davis would be no great loss. At worst, we'd just go back to McHugh or singleback -- neither of those worked great, but we weren't a hell of a lot more productive with Davis in there either.

I completely agree with you. I don't see Davis as the horrible player other do. But I would rather look for potential in SUmmers than keep Davis. Nothing against davis, I just don't think he has the ability to be a star.

wootawnee
08-14-2009, 07:24 PM
I disagree. I think Tomlin puts too much value is veteran experience and he will keep Davis over the Tank. I hope I am wrong.
Also, Redman, who showed himself as our new short yardage guy (albeit against 2nd/3rd team d..but he had 2/3rd team line blocking) will miss a spot.
I think Arians is a big part of this as well. He seems to think Davis is better than he is. If you look at the games last year, there were times when Davis was put as a 3rd down back in critical situations when Moore would have done much better. Maybe Davis is one of those guys who looks good in practice so he stays on the team. In reality, he is weak and feeble and gets tackled easily. I hope I am wrong and Tomlin keeps either Summers or Redman instead.

I totally agree......Davis goes down way too easy......He should have been a lb........He does not have any burst..........Kreider would own Davis even now at his age......He seems like he has no desire to get those yards.........Bring on the tank.....

SteelersinCA
08-14-2009, 07:36 PM
All I can think of when I hear the name Davis is that he always come up 6 inches short of the first down line. Some people are unlucky, some people just aren't good. Davis is somewhere in the middle. I hope Summers can show enough to claim his spot.

Steeldude
08-14-2009, 09:50 PM
davis is easy to bring down. a replacement would be most welcomed.

LVSteelersfan
08-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Sorry, I can't even defend Davis for a second. He totally sucks. Period. How can someone who gets knocked down like a feather be a fullback? If the coaches hang onto Davis and dump Summers, I will be greatly disappointed and not so sure they know what they are doing when it comes to talent all the time. If Arians has his way, he will probably keep Davis. When all along, we should have gotten rid of Arians AND Davis at the end of last year.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-14-2009, 11:16 PM
I am not a Carey Davis hater-- I like all the guys who wear black n gold and are out there giving it their all, but....

He looked bad last night. His one run around RT was slow and ponderous, and he got his feet swiped out from under him by a 180-lb CB for a loss.

Our run game when the first unit was in was less than stellar as well. Granted, Arizona seems to have our number when it comes to stopping our run game (ahem, maybe Whiz and Grimm inside knowlege of all of our guys?), but that was an awful debut.

On the other hand, I don't think they gave the Tank many carries because they were specifically trying out Redman. But Summers DID look good at FB. On that one TD of Redman's, the Tank friggin blew up (I think it was the Cards' DE?) the defender, sent him stumbling, arms pinwheeling and all....

mmalone
08-15-2009, 08:26 AM
I think keeping Summers instead of Davis is the pretty obvious call.

Neither one has done shit for us, but Summers has potential and Davis doesn't.

10 plays vs Over a year on the team.

kinda hard to evaluate just yet....

Summers will get his chances the next 3 games. then the sword will make the cuts.

I still say, Tomlin should call the game... Arians doesnt need to do it.
BA's our offenses major problem.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I was critical of Davis before camp last year as he is too light to be an effective blocker and is neither quick, elusive to be of much value as receiver out of the backfield. That all proved true last season.

IMO, he is just a special teamer, but the Steelers havent brought in anybody to really compete with him, so I think he stays for another year and unfortunately takes up a roster spot of an otherwise promising prospect like Summers, Redman or Logan.

McHugh or Johnson are better lead blockers. Moore, Logan and others are better receivers from the FB position.

X-Terminator
08-15-2009, 02:52 PM
10 plays vs Over a year on the team.

kinda hard to evaluate just yet....

Summers will get his chances the next 3 games. then the sword will make the cuts.

I still say, Tomlin should call the game... Arians doesnt need to do it.
BA's our offenses major problem.

You know, it's always a broken friggin record with you.

Arians sucks *click....Arians sucks *click*...Arians sucks *click*

We freaking get it already! Sheesh! :banging:

He is NOT going anywhere, so you may as well get the F over it and move on to something else.

Preacher
08-15-2009, 04:15 PM
I was critical of Davis before camp last year as he is too light to be an effective blocker and is neither quick, elusive to be of much value as receiver out of the backfield. That all proved true last season.

IMO, he is just a special teamer, but the Steelers havent brought in anybody to really compete with him, so I think he stays for another year and unfortunately takes up a roster spot of an otherwise promising prospect like Summers, Redman or Logan.

McHugh or Johnson are better lead blockers. Moore, Logan and others are better receivers from the FB position.

El G. Go read my breakdown... What I found (at least in the two series) in that first game, was that he actually did a good job sealing off a guy and creating a place to run. He was actually a decent lead blocker... Not once did he wiff, miss, or get pushed back. Of course, this was two series on one night. But I think, like Mahan, Davis is being scapegoated a bit here.

If you have the game on DVR, go back and watch it... I would ALSO be interested in your thoughts on my breakdown compared to what your eyes are telling you when you watch it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2009, 09:41 AM
El G. Go read my breakdown... What I found (at least in the two series) in that first game, was that he actually did a good job sealing off a guy and creating a place to run. He was actually a decent lead blocker... Not once did he wiff, miss, or get pushed back. Of course, this was two series on one night. But I think, like Mahan, Davis is being scapegoated a bit here.

If you have the game on DVR, go back and watch it... I would ALSO be interested in your thoughts on my breakdown compared to what your eyes are telling you when you watch it.

Preacher, I can go look at Davis again in 2 series of the preseason game, but I have watched him in regular season and playoffs for the past 2 years to see that he really isnt an effective blocker, or an asset as a RB or receiver from the backfield. The fact that he may of played adequately on 2 series thusday vs playing poorly the last 2 seasons doesnt change my opinion.

I saw some of your breakdown, but hadnt watched the game yet so could not comment. I know that I totally agreed with your assessment of Essex being late on the pull left, Starks getting beat repeatedly by Calais Campbell in pass rushing. Nice work.