PDA

View Full Version : Legursky getting a chance with Steelers

mesaSteeler
08-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Legursky getting a chance with Steelers
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1886684484/Legursky-getting-a-chance-with-Steelers
August 14, 2009 @ 05:58 PM

ANTHONY HANSHEW

Herald-Dispatch.com

HUNTINGTON — Confidence, leading to knowing patience, has paved Doug Legursky’s burgeoning National Football League career.

Following one of his initial Marshall University practices years ago as a true freshman, he spoke matter-of-factly of earning playing time. A pair of veterans, walking by, overheard the statement and smirked at the newcomer’s swagger.

Legursky started four seasons with the Thundering Herd and anticipated a possible call NFL draft call. The athletic offensive lineman wasn’t drafted, but soon was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in April 2007.

Legursky then was released, re-signed, released and re-signed by the Steelers in 2008. He finished the season on the practice squad, watching while Pittsburgh captured an NFL-record sixth Super Bowl.

Earlier this year, he joined the team at the White House when President Obama congratulated the Steelers’ Super Bowl victory over the Arizona Cardinals.

Quite a ride for the versatile lineman. Legursky’s NFL career continued to evolve Thursday night when he started at center in Pittsburgh’s preseason opener. Legursky played in place of usual starter Justin Hartwig, recovering from a broken toe.

The 6-foot-1, 315-pound second-year player performed well in a 20-10 exhibition victory over Arizona before numerous friends and family.

“The stars have kind of aligned to give him this opportunity – nothing against Justin Hartwig,” said Legursky’s Huntington-based agent, Dave Rich. “I’m not saying he’s going to take this opportunity and start the entire season, but if he can play two or three (preseason) games against first-team defenses, that will stand out to personnel directors.

“Pittsburgh is a good regional fit, but if he doesn’t make (the final roster) he’ll make the most of this opportunity and sign with somebody else.”

Legursky’s chances appear favorable. Rich referenced a recent offseason position meeting when an offensive line coach pointed to Legursky as an example of resilience.

Before his peers, Legursky was asked where he was at this time last year. Home in Beckley after being cut, he answered.

“The coach said, ‘Here’s what happens when you work’,” Rich said. “He never gave up and worked his tail off.

“It stands as a testament to what can happen when you put in the hard work. Things have fallen his way.

“He’s as pumped as I’ve seen him, being part of the game.”

Next for Legursky and the Steelers is an Aug. 22, preseason matchup at the Washington Redskins. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. and the game will be televised by FSN Pittsburgh.

KeiselPower99
08-14-2009, 11:35 PM
I was getting ready to post this. I dont think he is going anywhere. His first college start was at Ohio State. Talk about being thrown into the fire!

Preacher
08-14-2009, 11:51 PM
I got some work to do... but plan on going back and watching that game again. I want to watch each lineman individually... I hope Legursky played well, but need to see it again.