PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Best Rookie

Nadroj 20
08-14-2009, 09:48 PM
I know its early but i thought this could be an interesting topic....Who will be the Steelers best rookie this year? Does anyone think any rookie can have a decent impact this year or not.......thoughts?

IMO Mike Wallace

SteelTalons
08-14-2009, 10:03 PM
I know its early but i thought this could be an interesting topic....Who will be the Steelers best rookie this year? Does anyone think any rookie can have a decent impact this year or not.......thoughts?

IMO Mike Wallace

Im going to say Mike Wallace, the dudes speed with arms. Definitely has a lot of potential, and Im not having to much trouble imagining Santo, Sweed, and Wallace out there once Ward retires.

Personally Im rooting for Frank Summers the most though... Id love to see the run game improve just so we can be able to move the chains not only by the air but on the ground.

Wallace wins this easy for me though, definitely gonna be a factor as time progresses...

Indo
08-14-2009, 11:24 PM
I have to agree----he looked Smoooooooth

Preacher
08-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Great... A Positive thread!!! Thank you!

I gotta say. . . from just seeing ONE game, Wallace might be it. THat kid looked pretty dang good out there last night.

Hotrodder07
08-15-2009, 12:02 AM
I have to agree with the rest of you. Mike Wallace looked pretty great out there. He caught the ball cleanly every time, from what I can remember. Plus his 4.28 forty time is just amazing. I don't know if we have any other rookie capable of making an immediate impact on the team like Wallace can.

devilsdancefloor
08-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Burnett looked good i know he fumbled, but after that he seemed to get his head into the game and his INT was pretty sweet. He was more determined to get the the ball. :tt03:

Steelboy84
08-15-2009, 12:21 AM
I have to agree. Wallace has good hands and will provide speed and a nice 4th option for Ben.

:tt03:

The Lakelander
08-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Wallace should get more chances than the other players. But I would expect his chances to mostly come on kick returns. He's going to have a tough time getting looks among the group we have! Hines Ward and Heath Miller, Santonio, Mewelde and Sweed will all get the majority of Ben's looks. God are we deep!

My choice is still Wallace with Ziggy a close second.

pancake
08-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Burnett looked good i know he fumbled, but after that he seemed to get his head into the game and his INT was pretty sweet. He was more determined to get the the ball. :tt03:

I think he has the early lead... He reminds me of W Gay...

Galax Steeler
08-15-2009, 06:54 AM
My choice is still Wallace with Ziggy a close second.

That is what I was thinking as well. Wallace played well for his first game and will only get better. Ziggy was in on a few plays as well looked good.

HometownGal
08-15-2009, 07:42 AM
While it definitely is a little early, I'm also going with Wallace. He's impressed me from hello! :banana:

Nadroj 20
08-15-2009, 02:22 PM
I do like Burnett too that INT was a nice play but i dont see him being that big a factor early while wallace could be

JackHammer
08-15-2009, 11:04 PM
I think it will be Ziggy. Between spelling our DE's and also coming in on passing downs, I expect him to get a lot of playing time(for a rookie, at least) this season and a lot of chances to get to the QB.

Aussie_steeler
08-16-2009, 03:46 AM
From what I saw I would like to add Keenan Lewis. In my view he looked liked he belonged out there. I can see him handling CB or FS pretty comfortably in the future

MongoSteeler
08-16-2009, 05:09 AM
One can only hope it comes down to a toss up between Ziggy and Wallace for our rookie of the year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Unfortunately I was in the middle of a 30 mile canoe trip during the game so I can only go by what the highlight reels show....I knew that he had the speed, but Wallace is a much better route runner than I had anticipated.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2009, 09:14 AM
I like most of this rookie class. Wallace looks like he has progressed the quickest.
-Burnett has the change of direction that makes him a ball hawk.
-Ziggy has the quickness and motor like no other DE on the roster.
-Urbik looks stout, drive blocks well and pass blocks well.
-Sonny Harris looks promising as a DE, so too does David Johnson as a blocking TE or Hback.
-Shipley looks comfortable and has nice technique. I just want to see him vs a big NT.
-Ramon Foster may just be the next Keydrick Vincent.
-The only guys that didnt show much in that game were Keenan Lewis and Frank Summers.

mmalone
08-16-2009, 09:29 AM
-The only guys that didnt show much in that game were Keenan Lewis and Frank Summers.

this is what tomlin said???

“I think (Summers) is showing the aptitude of a lead blocker, a guy who is capable of generating power on contact,” said Tomlin. “He has a good demeanor for it. I think he is doing a nice job. He is open to it, so we are just trying to find more things that young men are capable of doing. This guy likes the combat. So we will continue to work with him in regards to the fullback position.”

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2009, 09:34 AM
this is what tomlin said???

“I think (Summers) is showing the aptitude of a lead blocker, a guy who is capable of generating power on contact,” said Tomlin. “He has a good demeanor for it. I think he is doing a nice job. He is open to it, so we are just trying to find more things that young men are capable of doing. This guy likes the combat. So we will continue to work with him in regards to the fullback position.”

Exactly!! He makes a nice block on the Redman TD to kick out the defender and appears to throw his body into defenders like he enjoys it. All I was saying is that many on this board think he is the next great short yardage back, Bettis jr. or a special teams ace....but none of that was show in the preseason game.

7th round TE David Johnson looks to be one of the better blockers in space. I would say he is the 3rd, if not the 2nd best blocking TE on the roster. Hope he makes the practice squad.

#1LambertFan
08-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Redman ran good. Wallace reminds me of Hester but I think Wallace will be a better receiver and a little shy of Hester on the return game. Joe Burnett needs to focus on being a CB but still needs to hold on to the ball. Ziggy was a wrecking ball (enough said). I didn't see enough of Summers to make anything out of him. I didn't pay much attention to the line so I have nothing to say about Urbik or Shipley. But I think that's a good thing.

Too early to determine. I might have an answer before PS game 4.

AllD
08-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately I was in the middle of a 30 mile canoe trip during the game so I can only go by what the highlight reels show....I knew that he had the speed, but Wallace is a much better route runner than I had anticipated.

Did you by chance happen to be canoeing in Aintry? What do you want to go down that river for anyway?

FSUBoo
08-17-2009, 01:53 AM
I know people are gonna think I'm retarded, but you could virtually call Mendenhall a rookie again from what little time he has actually had on an NFL field. So I'll throw his name in this mix

O Sensei
08-17-2009, 01:59 AM
Wallace.....crazy potential, just crazy....he may end up being better than sweed. As HTG said though....very early.