PDA

View Full Version : Browns game thread

Fire Haley
08-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Follow along as their little hearts get crushed ...

"same ol ****"

ha ha

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1547&t=4610319&p=3

RoethlisBURGHer
08-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Another two guaranteed wins this year.

The Browns have looked horrible, just about what I expected.

They will go another six straight regular season games without scoring an offensive touchdown.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Anderson sucks

We have no pass rush

Jamal is past his prime by 2-3 years

Edwards is dropping balls

And Quinn has looked extremely "meh".

Pretty much all that I expected.

Gonna take a season for Mangini's system to sink in.

Cya'll in 2010-11. Maybe we'll have a competitve team by then.

Dan LeFevour for Browns QB in 2010! Wee!

MasterOfPuppets
08-15-2009, 10:11 PM
throwin in the towel after 1 preseason game ? :doh:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-15-2009, 10:49 PM
throwin in the towel after 1 preseason game ? :doh:

With that much of a pitiful preformance? This is usually the first sign of a pathetic team like the Browns, they did look this bad last season and seasons before.

Browns ain't going anywhere this season...4 wins this season I see.

And it pains me saying this, I love the Browns, I want them to suceed, I'm sick of seeng them as a punchline to a joke by you guys.

Now with all that being said, I liked what I saw from Quinn thus far, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good, I can deal with that in QB play, at least he was able to sustain a drive unlike Derek Anderson who literally had two throws tonight, one of them going for an INT.

The defense started to show some interesting schemes one of them the ol Bear 46, and had a few blitzes, but the browns don't have the personel to carry it out

Coye Francises and Eric Wright also looked pretty good, I also liked what I saw out of Mike Furrey, dude is like the poor mans Joe Jurevicious.

As for the negatives, Anderson is done, Lewis is done, Mack is struggling, the defense is pretty weak especially in the pass rushing dept.

But it's looking like I'm going to be counting down the days until the Cavs play again every sunday in the fall.

CantStop85
08-15-2009, 10:54 PM
28 quarters without an offensive TD and counting...

MasterOfPuppets
08-15-2009, 11:06 PM
With that much of a pitiful preformance? This is usually the first sign of a pathetic team like the Browns, they did look this bad last season and seasons before.

Browns ain't going anywhere this season...4 wins this season I see.

And it pains me saying this, I love the Browns, I want them to suceed, I'm sick of seeng them as a punchline to a joke by you guys.

Now with all that being said, I liked what I saw from Quinn thus far, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good, I can deal with that in QB play, at least he was able to sustain a drive unlike Derek Anderson who literally had two throws tonight, one of them going for an INT.

The defense started to show some interesting schemes one of them the ol Bear 46, and had a few blitzes, but the browns don't have the personel to carry it out

Coye Francises and Eric Wright also looked pretty good, I also liked what I saw out of Mike Furrey, dude is like the poor mans Joe Jurevicious.

As for the negatives, Anderson is done, Lewis is done, Mack is struggling, the defense is pretty weak especially in the pass rushing dept.

But it's looking like I'm going to be counting down the days until the Cavs play again every sunday in the fall.

did robiske have a catch ? no rush from vulkrane ? i thought he'd be a solid olber. was mack with the first team ?

Edman
08-16-2009, 01:37 AM
I won't stick a fork in them yet, not until the season starts. Even if they are the Browns.

MACH1
08-16-2009, 01:57 AM
A whole game thread with only 8 replies. :rofl:

There's a joke in there somewhere. Packers Browns. :chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-16-2009, 06:08 AM
How do you keep a Cleveland Brown from masturbating?

Paint his dick black and gold, he will never beat it again!

-------------------------------

Did you hear about what happened at Browns practice on Thursday? Eric Mangini had to stop practice and call the local authorities due to a strange white substance on the field.

After two hours, the FBI told Mangini it was okay to practice. The mysterious white substance was the goal line and the FBI concluded that the Browns most likely won't come in contact with it again.

revefsreleets
08-16-2009, 07:09 AM
The good news for the Pixie lovers is that the Browns second and third stringers are about dead even with the packs second and third stringers:flap:

I watched the first half...I saw no evidence that the Browns will be any better than last year, nor did I see a single shred of proof that Mangini's "Discipline first" policy made any difference at all. The Browns are still a horribly sloppy and undiscipined team, and as RWWPG stated above, while they have some nice new looks, they simply lack the skilled personnel to execute.

Did I mention that Derek Anderson sucks? He's just awful, and either he's got some photo evidence of someone in the front office molesting boys or he made a deal with the devil, because he has NO business under center in the NFL.

5-11 and 0-2 to the Steelers this year.

Fire Haley
08-16-2009, 07:13 AM
A whole game thread with only 8 replies. :rofl:

What?

Theres 27 pages going of hilarity going on - the real game thread is the link I provided.

I love how their fans get all excited before the game starts - then depression sets in.

revefsreleets
08-16-2009, 07:26 AM
I love how their fans get all excited before the game starts - then depression sets in.

A microcosm for their season. In week one, the Sports Bars will be littered with Browns fans and a few of them, like whipped dogs too stupid to learn their lesson, will actually utter a few scant words of smack talk towards us Steelers fans (those are always the fans that stop showing up in week 3 as opposed to the "true Browns fans" who start staying home at the end of October after mathematical elimination has taken place).

By November there are usually only one or two scattered Browns fans left, usually horrifically drunk, and they are only there to cheer for whatever team the Steelers are playing. If you ask them about the Browns they'll mutter something under their breath about the Browns sucking and (this year at least) make some lame "Rapistberger" joke...

AllD
08-16-2009, 08:07 AM
The Browns can't even get a #1 draft pick for either of their QBs anymore. They should have traded one of them when they had value and offers. Now at best they can get a second round. The season is over already, time to rebuild, again. They suck.

xfl2001fan
08-16-2009, 08:16 AM
The season hasn't started, but there will be some very tired Browns players from all the laps they'll have to run. The drop in the EZ by BE was a real dagger (for me). The very next play, BQ tried forcing the throws to BE and it resulted in the INT. I did like how they were able to move the ball (while BQ was under center) and Ratliff intrigues me some. He's still raw (and that was apparent) but I see no reason why he won't be at least #2 on the depth chart. (Sorry Revs, I'm still not sold on BQ...we'll have to agree to disagree on whether or not he'll be a decent pro QB.) DA is done...that much was evident. Lewis didn't look too bad out there, better than I had expected. Was hoping to see more of our young 6th round RB. Unfortunately, it was time to put the kids down for bed and I missed portions of the game where he was in (if he was in.)

Someone earlier had asked if Robiskie had caught a pass. His first catch came on a screen pass that they did a pretty decent job or running with. He made a few nice moves to set up his blockers and get some extra yardage. Looking forward to seeing him play for the Brown and Orange. Furrey surprised me with his play. He's better than I had anticipated and should probably be our #2. BE needs to go though. The first TD we gave up, I was so mad because we rushed three and dropped 8...and then the Safeties bit when the QB started scrambling. Morons.

Figured I'd show up here today since I will be in Wisconsin for the next 2+ weeks for the military. Didn't want you guys to think I was one of those brash Browns fans who disappears when the going get's ugly.

Fire Haley
08-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I thought Quinn looked OK - I'd say he got the job.

Mankok has a lot of asplaining to do after that effort - I watched the first half.

What I noticed is how S L O W that defense looked - of course I'm probably just used to watching the Steelers D.

And those uni's

C'mon - BROWN pants?

ha ha!

And tuck them jerseys in! - they looked like slobs out there compared to the Pack,

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-16-2009, 10:34 AM
A microcosm for their season. In week one, the Sports Bars will be littered with Browns fans and a few of them, like whipped dogs too stupid to learn their lesson, will actually utter a few scant words of smack talk towards us Steelers fans (those are always the fans that stop showing up in week 3 as opposed to the "true Browns fans" who start staying home at the end of October after mathematical elimination has taken place).

By November there are usually only one or two scattered Browns fans left, usually horrifically drunk, and they are only there to cheer for whatever team the Steelers are playing. If you ask them about the Browns they'll mutter something under their breath about the Browns sucking and (this year at least) make some lame "Rapistberger" joke...

I and a lot of other people were at the Texans game this past year Rev.

Stuck through the whole damn thing, watched it in the cold, in the upper section of the Dawg Pound, watched us not even score an offensive TD.

Couple of folks went to the battle of the intept game with Cincy and the Browns that I know on the board. Not just folks from Cleveland, but, folks from Miami and even the UK. To watch a losing football team, one that was sitting duck.

I still wear a Browns sock hat in the winter and gloves and stuff. Even my shirts. Doesn't matter, they're my team, for better or for worse.

Don't you dare EVER paint me or anyone else with that brush. We've stuck with this team for eons. Hell, I've never ever seen the Browns win a Division title in my lifetime. Try and find an NFL fan that can ever claim that.

Want to find a bandwagon fan rev.? Go look around Stark Co. after the Steelers are in the playoffs. So many weaklings can't take not rooting for a winner that they've switched allegiances and have NO f-ing clue about anything to do with football. Truly sickening.

Not our damn fault our team got moved to Baltimore and now it's successful, not our damn fault our owner hires horrible GM's and Coaches, not our fault we have a receiver can't catch a damn ball.

We're just fans, we root for our team, and wear their jersey's, nothing more, nothing less.

KeiselPower99
08-16-2009, 10:44 AM
the Packers looked pretty good from what I saw of the game.

MasterOfPuppets
08-16-2009, 11:05 AM
How do you keep a Cleveland Brown from masturbating?

Paint his dick black and gold, he will never beat it again!

-------------------------------

Did you hear about what happened at Browns practice on Thursday? Eric Mangini had to stop practice and call the local authorities due to a strange white substance on the field.

After two hours, the FBI told Mangini it was okay to practice. The mysterious white substance was the goal line and the FBI concluded that the Browns most likely won't come in contact with it again.:laughing:

MasterOfPuppets
08-16-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm stoked! I hope they don't let us down this year!....Posted: Yesterday 8:05 PM

Same ole Browns!! IM DONE....Posted: Yesterday 8:08 PM

:rofl:

The Duke
08-16-2009, 11:15 AM
the Packers looked pretty good from what I saw of the game.

Yep, the 3-4 seems to be suiting them well. Kampman could definitely be like jason taylor as an OLB

That said, it was the browns....:flap:

MACH1
08-16-2009, 11:28 AM
What?

Theres 27 pages going of hilarity going on - the real game thread is the link I provided.

:doh: Missed that part. :oops:

xfl2001fan
08-16-2009, 11:31 AM

Stuck through the whole damn thing, watched it in the cold, in the upper section of the Dawg Pound, watched us not even score an offensive TD.

Couple of folks went to the battle of the intept game with Cincy and the Browns that I know on the board. Not just folks from Cleveland, but, folks from Miami and even the UK. To watch a losing football team, one that was sitting duck.

I still wear a Browns sock hat in the winter and gloves and stuff. Even my shirts. Doesn't matter, they're my team, for better or for worse.

Don't you dare EVER paint me or anyone else with that brush. We've stuck with this team for eons. Hell, I've never ever seen the Browns win a Division title in my lifetime. Try and find an NFL fan that can ever claim that.

Want to find a bandwagon fan rev.? Go look around Stark Co. after the Steelers are in the playoffs. So many weaklings can't take not rooting for a winner that they've switched allegiances and have NO f-ing clue about anything to do with football. Truly sickening.

Not our damn fault our team got moved to Baltimore and now it's successful, not our damn fault our owner hires horrible GM's and Coaches, not our fault we have a receiver can't catch a damn ball.

We're just fans, we root for our team, and wear their jersey's, nothing more, nothing less.

I so totally feel your pain bro!

MACH1
08-16-2009, 11:46 AM
We've stuck with this team for eons. Hell, I've never ever seen the Browns win a Division title in my lifetime. Try and find an NFL fan that can ever claim that.

I know a Lions fan. :noidea:

Hmm....As of right now, the Lions>Browns. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
08-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Lions play the Browns next week - that should be a hoot!

CantStop85
08-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Lions play the Browns next week - that should be a hoot!

I plan on watching it, muting the TV, and playing this song in the background.

MK6TXMsvgQg

Should make it more enjoyable. :chuckle:

stillers4me
08-16-2009, 02:03 PM
What a coincidence! I play the same thing during Bengals games!

:chuckle:

Edit: BTW....play that and watch your avatar. :rofl:

revefsreleets
08-16-2009, 02:06 PM

There are few of you out there...you buy the season tickets...you buy the jerseys of the average players who serve their time in Cleveland and move on to bigger and better thing...you drive the engine that keeps pumping out a mediocre product year after year by keeping the revenue streams up in SPITE of the fact that the Browns are not competitive. That's cool...

HOWEVER, I'm speaking strictly of the Sports Bar fan. They are few and far between by November, and THAT'S a fact, Jack...and I'm talking even IN Cleveland....

Fire Haley
08-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Face it Browns fans - Mangini is a miserable coach.

Admit it - You're not excited about this season because your new coach isn't Bill Cowher.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Face it Browns fans - Mangini is a miserable coach.

Admit it - You're not excited about this season because your new coach isn't Bill Cowher.

Cowher's heart was into it, he said as much to Lerner and actually felt sort of bad for him and gave him a few tips on what to look for in a good coach and such.

He's a good guy, and we would have loved to have him, but he's done with coaching for now. Maybe by the time Mangini's fired (which with our track record is probable at this point), he'll be into coaching again.

Oh look, the Browns are up 20......

against Detroit...

I'm thinking that speaks more to how bad the lions moreso than how good the Browns are.

xfl2001fan
08-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Sweet, was hoping someone could tell me how we were doing. How'd we manage 20 points...what time in the game is it? etc...

I can't watch while I'm up in Fort McCoy...and the stupid firewall won't let me on ESPN/NFL/Cleveland Browns.com

revefsreleets
08-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Careful, Browns! You are only going to score a VERY limited amount of TD's this year, don't use them all up in a preseason game against the worst team in the league!

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Careful, Browns! You are only going to score a VERY limited amount of TD's this year, don't use them all up in a preseason game against the worst team in the league!

eh.

:noidea:

We look better tonight..

it's against detroit..but we're at least beating them and beating them by a decent amount like any self respecting team should.

xfl2001fan
08-22-2009, 07:51 PM
How'd we manage to score the points? Running, Passing, KR, Defense?

Stranded Browns fans have inquiring minds.

CantStop85
08-22-2009, 08:05 PM
How'd we manage to score the points? Running, Passing, KR, Defense?

Stranded Browns fans have inquiring minds.

Jamal Lewis 4 yd rushing TD.

2 field goals.

Josh Cribbs 84 yd punt return.

On a side note, Matt Stafford has looked pretty disappointing thus far.

revefsreleets
08-22-2009, 08:18 PM
But Stafford threw a pick to set up that O TD...so it's not like they are sustaining long drives and capping them with TD's.

xfl2001fan
08-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys. I just wanted to get some idea of what's going on. I wouldn't completely sleep on Detroit. I don't remember their games from last year...but I've heard they were fairly competitive in a lot of their games. While that means they're still a likely canididate for cellar dwellar in the NFCN, it doesn't mean that they won't pull off a few "upsets" this upcoming season.

xfl2001fan
08-23-2009, 12:17 PM
What was the final score? Did the Steelers play/win? Any surprises and/or youth stepping up.

I heard a rumor that our young HB broke for a long run...but the guy who told me is as apt to tell a story as to tell the truth...and it's deadpan either way. He does keep things amusing though.

Fire Haley
08-23-2009, 12:26 PM
So DA outplayed Quinn this game and Mangini will have to flip a coin after next week?

revefsreleets
08-24-2009, 08:40 AM
So DA outplayed Quinn this game and Mangini will have to flip a coin after next week?

I don't think he did...DA is still a second rate QB, and I have NO idea why they are still tossing him in the mix. He looks good one series, then sucks the next.

And this Ratliffe kid does NOT look like NFL material to me either...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-24-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't think he did...DA is still a second rate QB, and I have NO idea why they are still tossing him in the mix. He looks good one series, then sucks the next.

And this Ratliffe kid does NOT look like NFL material to me either...

+1

DA over shot his reciever badly a few times, and when Eric "Eazy-E" Wright got an interception in scoring range, DA could only lead the Browns to a field goal.

Quinn was only give like one series, and has looked pretty average. Not good, but not bad.

If it all doesn't work out, I hope the Browns draft this guy:

http://www.collegesportspro.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/dan-lefevour.jpg

revefsreleets
08-24-2009, 12:54 PM
LeFevour COULD be the next great MAC QB. He's definitely got the size (I've seen him liosted at 6'3" everywhere, but weight varies from 29-238 depending on the website). That's prototypical NFL QB size, though. His worst game last year was against Georgia, but he STILL manages a QBR of 114.

He's probably going to be a good one but don't hold your breath on the Browns taking another high round QB.

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 01:21 PM
DA is still a second rate QB, and I have NO idea why they are still tossing him in the mix. ...

That's because you're not the Mangenius

Browns | Starting quarterback for third preseason game undecided

Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:54:30 -0700

CBSSports.com reports Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini gave no indication Monday, Aug. 24, as to whether QB Derek Anderson or QB Brady Quinn will start the team's next preseason game.

Steel Head
08-24-2009, 01:26 PM
That's because you're not the Mangenius

Browns | Starting quarterback for third preseason game undecided

Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:54:30 -0700

CBSSports.com reports Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini gave no indication Monday, Aug. 24, as to whether QB Derek Anderson or QB Brady Quinn will start the team's next preseason game.

time to flip a coin imo

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Their "QB battle" looks more and more like a cripple fight.

revefsreleets
08-24-2009, 01:53 PM
If this is REAL, then Quinn must really suck, because DA never was, isn't, and never will be a starting NFL QB.

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Of course it's REAL - that's what he said.

Cleveland Browns QB competition still very close, Eric Mangini says

BEREA, Ohio -- It will be another week without knowing the Browns' starting quarterback for the next preseason game on Saturday.

Pressed to assess the quarterback competition, coach Eric Mangini maintained that the process is playing out and he will not make a decision until he is able to make the right decision.

Mangini would not say who will start at quarterback against Tennessee in the game typically considered the dress rehearsal for the season opener. It would be Brady Quinn's turn to start based on Mangini's rotation.

The coach insists he is confident a winner will present itself before the opener on Sept. 13, even though he said the competition "is very close."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/08/cleveland_browns_qb_competitio.html

----------------------------------------

My point is, the fact that Quinn hasn't been able to put any distance between himself and Anderson shows how weak his claim to the job really is.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-24-2009, 02:32 PM
LeFevour COULD be the next great MAC QB. He's definitely got the size (I've seen him liosted at 6'3" everywhere, but weight varies from 29-238 depending on the website). That's prototypical NFL QB size, though. His worst game last year was against Georgia, but he STILL manages a QBR of 114.

He's probably going to be a good one but don't hold your breath on the Browns taking another high round QB.

Depends really, I've seen him as a late first rounder, or as low as a third rounder.

I can see, that if the Browns do have a truly horrific season, Mangini trading down and maybe adding him to the roster, and getting a few bonus draft picks.

QB is pretty low on our needs list right now. We need to find some pass rushers, a running back, right tackle/guard and a safety. But if he slips to a 2nd-3rd round he'd be worth drafting.

I've really liked what I've seen out of him though, he's a hardworker (auctually trains with CMU's wrestling program from what I've heard), and the aforementioned stats and size really make me think he could be a good QB in the Pros.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Either Quinn is just average and Mangini isn't impressed with him...or he emulates Bellichick way to much and is going to play this close to the vest until an hour before the season opener.

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 04:03 PM
QB is pretty low on our needs list right now.

Ha!

The Browns' QB's have combined for 0 touchdown passes, 4 INT's and a sack taken every 12 pass attempts this preseason.

No wonder Mangini can't decide on a starter.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Ha!

The Browns' QB's have combined for 0 touchdown passes, 4 INT's and a sack taken every 12 pass attempts this preseason.

No wonder Mangini can't decide on a starter.

I disagree.

I'd rather see the other parts of our team built up before we aim at getting a All-Pro QB.

You can't win with our current defense

You can't win with half of our o-line and an aging running back. Things that are far more in need.

I can deal with re-enacting the '90's Steelers in terms of QB's, so long as the D. and ground game are okay. That's what makes playoff teams. Not having Peyton Manning/Joe Montana/Otto Graham surrounded by absolutely nothing. Heck, if Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hoestetler, Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson can Win a Super Bowl, any team with a subpar QB built the right way can win a super bowl.

I'm not worried about that though, I want to see the Browns be a team built on running the ball and stopping the run. Something they have been unsuccessful at since 1989.

Than we can talk about drafting our "Roethlisberger".

HometownGal
08-24-2009, 04:57 PM

:applaudit::thumbsup::drink:

I really respect the hell out of you true Brownies fans.

I don't believe revs' post was meant to take a shot at those of you who have stuck with the Browns through thick and thin. I feel your pain via the Pittsburgh Pirates. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
08-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Browns fans getting restless

Mangini's patience with QB competition wearing thin with fans

by Bud Shaw/Plain Dealer Columnist Wednesday August 26, 2009, 10:30 PM

John Kuntz/The Plain Dealer
As far as Bud Shaw is concerned, enough already! It's time for Eric Mangini to wave his hands and annoint a starting quarterback for the Browns. For a franchise that has reeked of indecision for 10 years, it's the least he can do.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Is a friendship ring expecting too much?

Eric Mangini's old team is expected to name rookie Mark Sanchez the starting quarterback after less than a month of training camp. The Browns, of course, made the engagement and marriage between Sanchez and Rex Ryan's Jets possible in a draft day trade.

The audible pining from the Browns fan base is not for Sanchez in particular, just for something, anything, resembling love and commitment to a quarterback

------------------------------

Mankok passing on Sanchez is always a good story to follow.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Browns fans getting restless

Mangini's patience with QB competition wearing thin with fans

by Bud Shaw/Plain Dealer Columnist Wednesday August 26, 2009, 10:30 PM

John Kuntz/The Plain Dealer
As far as Bud Shaw is concerned, enough already! It's time for Eric Mangini to wave his hands and annoint a starting quarterback for the Browns. For a franchise that has reeked of indecision for 10 years, it's the least he can do.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Is a friendship ring expecting too much?

Eric Mangini's old team is expected to name rookie Mark Sanchez the starting quarterback after less than a month of training camp. The Browns, of course, made the engagement and marriage between Sanchez and Rex Ryan's Jets possible in a draft day trade.

The audible pining from the Browns fan base is not for Sanchez in particular, just for something, anything, resembling love and commitment to a quarterback

------------------------------

Mankok passing on Sanchez is always a good story to follow.

Honestly, if Mangini wants the team to have any success this season, he needs to pick a QB and let that guy play the entire first half with the rest of the starters in the third preseason game.

I don't think that either QB has much chemistry with the receivers on the offense (or with the center since the center has been flip-flopping all preseason too).

Anderson and Quinn are not very similar quarterbacks.

Quinn can make all the throws an NFL QB needs to make. Anderson can throw it deep, but not very accurately. On short and intermediate throws, Anderson is horrible.

Anderson is way to prone to turnovers. Even in his "good" season he threw 19 of them. He also isn't very good at avoiding the pass rush. Other than that scramble against Kansas City a few years ago subbing in for an injured Charlie Frye, he has shown to not be very elusive.

Quinn isn't a Houdini like Ben Roethlisberger, but he can sense the rush and avoid it somewhat. He's strong enough to shrug off an arm tackle and can scramble for positive yardage.

It's obvious to most that Quinn, with a full healthy season, would be a better option than Anderson.

Will Quinn throw 29 touchdowns this season? Hell, it's possible if the Browns defense can't stop people. But I bet if he does throw 20 touchdowns, he won't throw 19 interceptions to go along with them.

Fire Haley
08-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Boomer jumps in...

Mangini creating insecurity with quarterback competition, Esiason says

''Everything is buttoned up there, everybody's afraid of everybody else,'' Esiason said. ''Eric Mangini and his mental gymnastics thinks he's going to build this team, they're all going to be fighting for one. His zeal to keep everything in-house, he creates an air of insecurity. Guys are afraid to become who they are.

''I don't think he's a bad guy. I think he knows football,'' Esiason said of Mangini. ''But all these little Belichickites are thinking they're Belichick and trying to [run] the team the way Belichick runs it. Belichick gets away with it because he has the credibility."

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/55899922.html

ha

silver & black
08-29-2009, 10:12 AM

I live in Stark county, and what you say is the absolute truth.

Fire Haley
08-29-2009, 11:01 AM
So when was the last time the Browns beat the Steelers, you ask?

Week 5 in 2003.....Couch was QB.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-29-2009, 10:25 PM
I remember that game fondly. Couch had a once in a career game. That's how I'll remember him.

Anyways, Browns got the "W" over the Titans. Quinn like really average, but not bad. Had a nice TD pass to Braylon.

Jamal Lewis is DONE, should be his last year in the league.

Cribbs has been looking good, has been getting 1st team reps and has been looking impressive every time he's got the ball.

Furrey has been the dirt-poor mans Joe Jurevicious, but has been playing really good.

Also, Alex Hall is coming along nicely, had a good INT off of Vince Young. The Defense has been looking improved, still in a transistion period, but it could come around nicely if they continue to get better.

Fire Haley
08-29-2009, 10:48 PM
So the Brady Quinn Era begins.

MasterOfPuppets
08-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Boomer jumps in...

Mangini creating insecurity with quarterback competition, Esiason says

''Everything is buttoned up there, everybody's afraid of everybody else,'' Esiason said. ''Eric Mangini and his mental gymnastics thinks he's going to build this team, they're all going to be fighting for one. His zeal to keep everything in-house, he creates an air of insecurity. Guys are afraid to become who they are.

''I don't think he's a bad guy. I think he knows football,'' Esiason said of Mangini. ''But all these little Belichickites are thinking they're Belichick and trying to [run] the team the way Belichick runs it. Belichick gets away with it because he has the credibility."

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/55899922.html
i thought he got away with it because kraft and goodell were butt buddies ...:noidea:

ha
i thought he got away with it because kraft and goodell were butt buddies ...:noidea:

Fire Haley
08-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Mangini keeps Browns fans stewing in their own juices

Browns | No word when starting quarterback will be named

Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:09:52 -0700

The Associated Press reports Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini has given no indication when he will name his starting quarterback for the upcoming season. QBs Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson entered their preseason game Saturday, Aug. 29, in a virtual dead heat. Quinn appeared to outplay Anderson during the team's preseason game against the Tennessee Titans.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Mangini keeps Browns fans stewing in their own juices

Browns | No word when starting quarterback will be named

Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:09:52 -0700

The Associated Press reports Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini has given no indication when he will name his starting quarterback for the upcoming season. QBs Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson entered their preseason game Saturday, Aug. 29, in a virtual dead heat. Quinn appeared to outplay Anderson during the team's preseason game against the Tennessee Titans.

Frustration and being a Browns fan go hand in hand.

That said, I have a bad gut feeling DA will be named the starter against the Vikings and he'll look like crap, and then it will be Quinn time. :banging:

MasterOfPuppets
08-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Frustration and being a Browns fan go hand in hand.

That said, I have a bad gut feeling DA will be named the starter against the Vikings and he'll look like crap, and then it will be Quinn time. :banging: after giving up what they gave up to get quinn, i just don't see how you can NOT start him. they drafted the guy for a reason and i don't think it was to hold a clip board and watch the pile of suck known as DA lose games. don't get me wrong, everybody loves watching a qb carousel, but i'd think after watching teams like chicago, and tampa using that method, they'd realize it goes nowhere...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-30-2009, 01:04 AM
after giving up what they gave up to get quinn, i just don't see how you can NOT start him. they drafted the guy for a reason and i don't think it was to hold a clip board and watch the pile of suck known as DA lose games.

Remember this IS the Browns you're talking about.

Expect the most snake bitten thing to happen to them, versus common sense/what you'd expect.

and until they prove me wrong on that, I'll hold them to that.

At least they're not on the Bengals/Raiders level of stupidity team management wise. Thank god for that.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-30-2009, 05:42 AM
after giving up what they gave up to get quinn, i just don't see how you can NOT start him. they drafted the guy for a reason and i don't think it was to hold a clip board and watch the pile of suck known as DA lose games. don't get me wrong, everybody loves watching a qb carousel, but i'd think after watching teams like chicago, and tampa using that method, they'd realize it goes nowhere...

However, it wasn't the current regime that drafted Brady Quinn so they very well may not feel that need to name him the starting quarterback.

I am not sure what type of quarterback Mangini wants for his offense.

He had a Quinn-like quarterback in Chad Pennington (smart, careful with the football, good in short to intermediate throws...Pennington throws a bad deep ball and Quinn's is better than expected). That quarterback took him to the playoffs.

But he traded that quarterback for an Anderson-like QB in Brett Favre. Throws a great deep ball but isn't great at the shorter stuff...and also makes a lot of poor decisions and throws the ball into double/triple coverage.

Personally, I would go with Quinn. He may not end up being a superstar QB, but he should be more than good enough to win games and get deep into the playoffs.

Anderson's one good year was a fluke. Yeah, he threw 29 TD's......but he also threw a very high 19 interceptions and choked down the stretch.

Fire Haley
08-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Just to keep things interesting, Dilfer comes out on ESPN and tells the world that DA should be the starter. ha!

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Personally, I would go with Quinn. He may not end up being a superstar QB, but he should be more than good enough to win games and get deep into the playoffs.

Anderson's one good year was a fluke. Yeah, he threw 29 TD's......but he also threw a very high 19 interceptions and choked down the stretch.

If they play the offense that Quinn played under at Notre Dame and from what I've seen it looks similiar, that would seem to work out better than for us, then "Aero-Circ-du-soleil: offense that DA seems to run, that mainly relies on whether he has a hot hand or not, and Braylon catching (:chuckle:) freak of nature bad passes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_g3oLuVMt8

The Quinn offense on the other hand, If it's run properly could give the top dogs in the AFC North (and AFC in general) fits. From a couple of Steeler fans I've met are auctually a bit nervous if the Browns do get their act together and Quinn runs the almost "Spread" like offense. I've heard that the teams that have beaten Pittsburgh and Baltimore before didn't do it through the ground, they did it via the passing game and running slant routes and little dump passes to the running backs.

Fire Haley
08-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Mangini is such a doofus. Name a starter already.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Mangini is such a doofus. Name a starter already.

He could have already for all we know.

Just done in private.

Word is he wants to screw with the Vikings.

Fire Haley
08-30-2009, 06:33 PM
I'd say there's a 50/50 chance Mangeni announces there will be no announcement and the Browns will have dueling starting QB's all year.

MasterOfPuppets
08-30-2009, 06:46 PM
However, it wasn't the current regime that drafted Brady Quinn so they very well may not feel that need to name him the starting quarterback.
no, but its the same owner thats paying his salary. i wouldn't be suprised if they are intentionally holding him out so he doesn't collect that big starter bonus.

The Cleveland Browns will not be in contention this year. Period.

Unless you're a trust fund beneficiary, you also know the economy is not in good shape, and that won't change by September.

Crain's Cleveland Business has reported that as many as 25 percent of the corporate luxury seats at Cleveland Browns Stadium may not be renewed for the 2009 season, and that's no surprise.

National City Bank, one of the 10 largest banks in the United States and the buyer of naming rights to one of the four gates at the stadium, has been swallowed by PNC Financial, formerly Pittsburgh National Corporation.

Call it "Banking With The Enemy," but it could add up to 28,000 more jobs lost in Greater Cleveland. The region is also very dependent on the auto industry, both with Big Three plants and suppliers, and many of those corporate clients are apt to opt out of renewals.

It's the economy, stupid, and even Corporate America will withhold support from a stupidly run team.

What does this have to do with Derek Anderson? Among the manifold sins of former Browns GM Phil "F--- you, go root for Buffalo!" Savage was agreeing to an escalator clause in Brady Quinn's contract for 2009 that guarantees him an extra $11 million for the season if he takes 70 percent of the snaps.

Browns owner Randy Lerner has been called many things, but never cheap. Nonetheless, with Savage having gotten the Browns in cap trouble, $11 million in cap room would look sweet right now to the bean counters. Remember, this is not a team that will be in playoff contention in 2009.

It's tough to read the tea leaves from the Browns' Berea, Ohio headquarters right now, as new head coach Eric Mangini is about as forthcoming with information as the Pentagon. Mangini has, however, promised an "open competition" for the starting QB spot.

Assuming that both Anderson and Quinn are on the roster when training camp begins, Quinn will have to completely light it up in training camp and the preseason to begin the regular season as the starter. In his previous two seasons, he has done neither.

Despite the impatience of an understandably impatient fan base, Mangini and General Manager George Kokinis know they have a "grace period" of one season before they have to show major improvement, and 6-10 could be enough to keep the pitchforks and torches away from Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Mangini, a coaching disciple of Bill Belichick, is also not afraid to alienate vocal fans, who will buy $80 tickets and $8 beers anyhow.

With both QBs on the roster and $11 million of cap space looking good to a team that has stretched itself thin on expensive free agents (Stallworth, Rogers, et. al.), do not be surprised to see Anderson under center for the first six weeks of the 2009 season.

If the Browns go 3-3 or better in those six games, Anderson keeps his job. Even a 2-4 could keep Anderson under center depending on the circumstances. Winless or 1-5 would be enough to bring in Quinn, who still would not rate the $11 million bonus. Remember, the Browns have too many holes to fill to be contenders.

If Quinn replaces Anderson and takes a 1-5 Browns squad to 8-8, Mangini regains his "Mangenius" moniker from New York, and 2010 looks bright on the lakefront. If Quinn proves ineffective, the Browns will be in position to get Colt McCoy from Texas in the 2010 draft.

Either way, the Browns will know what they have going forward, and they'll be $11 million the better for it.
see...and you brownie backers think the management aren't geniuses..
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/154344-eleven-million-reasons-derek-anderson-will-start-for-browns

MasterOfPuppets
08-30-2009, 07:11 PM
but then this would make you go hmmmmm....

I recently spoke with someone I will identify as a league source. This person does not work for an NFL team but works with NFL teams and has a prominent name.

I asked, “Whom do you think will wind up starting at quarterback for the Browns?”

Without hesitation, the answer was, “Brady Quinn.”

The person went on to say that the Browns had two “very subtantial” trade offers for Quinn — each involved a No. 1 draft pick — and declined to trade him.

The source would not speculate on whether a trade of Quinn might have been blocked by owner Randy Lerner. The source believes that there will be a true “open competition” between Quinn and Derek Anderson and that Quinn will prevail.

The source does not believe that newly acquired ex-Jet Brett Ratliff will be thrown into the open competition. The source’s take on Ratliff: “Eric Mangini likes having him around because he feels comfortable with him and he knows the offense.”

I don’t doubt that the Browns could be leaning towards Quinn, but you’re not going to hear Mangini say it. All coaches like to breed competition and Quinn won’t be handed the job, especially not with Anderson already being paid a $5 million roster bonus plus his $1.45 million base salary. Chances are the Browns are going to have both QBs on the roster next year and although Quinn might be the front-runner at this point, he’s going to have to earn the starting gig.
http://www.scoresreport.com/tag/brady-quinn-starting-quarterback/?jal_no_js=true&poll_id=140

revefsreleets
08-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Well, that explains it. The start DA for the first 3rd of the season, let him take his lumps, let the fans cheer for Quinn until they work themselves up into a frenzy, then bring Brady off the bench when it's about the point of the season he can't get in the required snaps.

Since winning is secondary in Cleveland, why not? It's actually quite ingenious!

Fire Haley
08-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Word is he wants to screw with the Vikings.

Joe Montana or Steve Young?......Montana or Young, Montana or Young.
Yeah - I bet your choice is keeping them up at night. HA!

Cleveland Browns' Mangini won't name starting quarterback
by Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
Monday August 31, 2009, 10:28 AM

Will it be Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson? Eric Mangini still isn't saying. Browns coach Eric Mangini declined to name a starting quarterback Monday, saying he and his staff will "continue to go through the process.''

Mangini also declined to name his starter for Thursday night's preseason finale in Chicago. He gave no timetable for naming the winner of the battle between Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson.

-------------------------------------

It's obvious Mankok hates Browns fans and is doing this just to tork them off

RoethlisBURGHer
08-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Another thing that I have heard is that Mangini is going to use this as an "evaluation year" to evaluate who is on the team and make decisions for the future based on what he currently has to work with.

Fire Haley
08-31-2009, 01:44 PM
DA would be making $8M to sit on the bench. I bet he don't care.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-31-2009, 02:20 PM
DA would be making $8M to sit on the bench. I bet he don't care.

I'd take a cool $8M to sit on the bench. :chuckle:

SteelMember
08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Follow along as their little hearts get crushed ...

"same ol ****"

ha ha

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1547&t=4610319&p=3

Killer, you should be fined 100 SF credits for providing a browns link.

There is some good comedy in there though.

Fire Haley
08-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Whenever I need a laugh I go find a Browns board - they still think Jamal Lewis is a great running back and they're already predicting their new messiah at QB will take them to the playoffs.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
08-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Whenever I need a laugh I go find a Browns board - they still think Jamal Lewis is a great running back and they're already predicting their new messiah at QB will take them to the playoffs.

And whenever I need one I bring up how the '70's teams of the Steelers used roids in a thread where you guys keep calling the Pats cheaters. :chuckle::coffee:

Which one do you go to?

The majority of Browns fans I know and sites I go to pretty much know the guy is done. Hell, I said in the quick summary of the game that the guy is past his prime. Many Browns fans are calling for James Davis to start (which I disagree with, he's still a rookie) because of Jamal not looking very good.

Jamal once was a great runningback, perhaps even HOF (?) good, but his last good year was '07. Right now he's just holding a place that will probably be filled by a draft pick next year.

And most Browns fans are predicting a 6-10/5-11 year, 7-9 is the most optimistic I've seen. Perhaps there's an outside shot this season for a playoff run as the NFL is now unpredictable, the freakin' cardinals made the Super Bowl for god's sake, nothing is impossible, but I sincerely doubt it.

Sure some people may say a few things, but from what I've seen it's been done as sort of a running gag "Oh snap, we signed X player, we're going to the Super Bowl!!!"

I'll be real blunt too, Quinn ain't the messiah, he's looking more and more Pennington-like. Not bad persay, just not the 2nd coming of Bernie Kosar everyone else has made him out to be.

Fire Haley
08-31-2009, 09:22 PM
You don't need to defend yourself here - believe whatever you want. In fact, the bigger the bluff the more fun we have.

Psyychoward86
08-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Killer, you should be fined 100 SF credits for providing a browns link.

There is some good comedy in there though.

Woooooooooow....they're trying to have a turnaround season and the 1st reply is about....the Brownies' pants???? :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2009, 10:01 PM
And whenever I need one I bring up how the '70's teams of the Steelers used roids in a thread where you guys keep calling the Pats cheaters. :chuckle::coffee:
. and the only responce needed to that is...was steriods illegal in the 70's and who else was ALSO using them ??? didn't a player from a raider superbowl team ALSO drop dead from roid use ??? :wink02:

revefsreleets
09-01-2009, 11:29 AM
'Roids use?

...Um....pot, meet kettle (cough, cough) Lyle Alzado...

That's some weak-assed shit...and, bad news for you...the Pats cheated when they played the Browns, too...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-01-2009, 12:23 PM
'Roids use?

...Um....pot, meet kettle (cough, cough) Lyle Alzado...

That's some weak-assed shit...and, bad news for you...the Pats cheated when they played the Browns, too...

The Pats cheated when they played the Browns? WOW! I mean that must have really helped them to win, not the fact that the Browns SUCKED back then (and still sort of do) :chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2009, 01:47 PM
The Pats cheated when they played the Browns? WOW! I mean that must have really helped them to win, not the fact that the Browns SUCKED back then (and still sort of do) :chuckle:

Wasn't that the game where Luke McCown started and it was snowing all day?

Every time McCown dropped back to pass, my friend Jesse yelled "THROW IT LUKIE!"

The Pats scored a TD almost every way you can in a game that day, it was pretty funny.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-01-2009, 03:01 PM

Wasn't that the game where Luke McCown started and it was snowing all day?

Every time McCown dropped back to pass, my friend Jesse yelled "THROW IT LUKIE!"

The Pats scored a TD almost every way you can in a game that day, it was pretty funny.

uh-huh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuvimtbAX_M

Funny thing is that at the end of the clip you see Brian Robo's dad, Terrry whom was a interim coach for us after Butch quit.

here's the two other games where they laid a whooping on us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQkQ1OILaBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6M1mhuZ1LI

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I always liked Terry Robiske, class act (unlike Butchy).

revefsreleets
09-01-2009, 03:53 PM

Probably moreso than usual...no way does Belichick let his old team beat him, even if they were right to do so...

Just think, though...had he started cheating just a few years earlier, perhaps the Browns could have had an illegitimate super bowl win or two...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Probably moreso than usual...no way does Belichick let his old team beat him, even if they were right to do so...

Just think, though...had he started cheating just a few years earlier, perhaps the Browns could have had an illegitimate super bowl win or two...

If Art Moddell hadn't moved the team the '95 version of the Browns may have had a shot at one.

Just as he was turning things around in Cleveland, right as he's turning the corner, Moddell packs up.

Also, F-Modell again for good measure. Hope that guy never goes to Canton.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-01-2009, 08:32 PM

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1547&t=4671297

LULZ.

Fire Haley
09-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Lewis:no sign of stopping

If Jamal Lewis has 350 carries we are in the playoffs.

Another 1000 yard season won't surprise me at all. He's a class act, a-z.

http://www.dawgtalkers.net/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/586584/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Lewis:no sign of stopping

If Jamal Lewis has 350 carries we are in the playoffs.

Another 1000 yard season won't surprise me at all. He's a class act, a-z.

http://www.dawgtalkers.net/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/586584/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

We're not going to the playoffs.

I have no idea what that guy is smoking.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore are still in the division, correct?

Fire Haley
09-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Isn't Noah Herron the only RB you have left healthy?

revefsreleets
09-02-2009, 08:26 AM
IF Jamal Lewis carries the ball 350 times, I certainly HOPE he can net 1000 yards...he'll need a whopping 2.85 yards a carry to get there.

IF he averages 2.85 over 350 carries, the Browns will probably not win a single game....

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Isn't Noah Herron the only RB you have left healthy?

No Davis is still healthy and played well the past 2 preseason games. Don't have much faith in him yet being that he is a 6th round draft pick,

and Harrison is supposed to be back. Word is he's auctually going to get some playing time this year unlike with Crennel whom played him sparingly.

Both of the aforementioned are situational backs at the moment, though, if rotated in properly could equal some success in the ground game.

I'm holding out hope that the Browns either nab Spiller next year and complete the Thunder/Lightning Combo or Charles Scott out of LSU in the later rounds. Either would be a great to rotate in with the other two backs we have.

revefsreleets
09-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Oh, I missed the "class act" comment about Lewis...

If dealing coke, and being tried and convicted and serving a prison sentence FOR dealing coke is one's idea of being a class act, perhaps he is...but not in my book...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Oh, I missed the "class act" comment about Lewis...

If dealing coke, and being tried and convicted and serving a prison sentence FOR dealing coke is one's idea of being a class act, perhaps he is...but not in my book...

He's as much a class act as Harrison or Holmes at this point. :chuckle:

In all seriousness, he has really turned his image around in Cleveland. People can change, and until he's proven me wrong on that, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

revefsreleets
09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Having a blunt burning in your ashtray is QUITE a bit different than distributing 5 ounces of coke. I was unaware that Harrison was a drug user/seller...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Having a blunt burning in your ashtray is QUITE a bit different than distributing 5 ounces of coke. I was unaware that Harrison was a drug user/seller...

Harrison didn't do drugs, but he did do a few other things which are not exactly classy. I've heard some pretty negative things about him when he was in Akron.

Holmes has acknowledged selling drugs on the street corner of his hometown of Belle Glade, Florida as a teenager; he says that his mother's influence and a desire to play professional football made him decide to stop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santonio_Holmes

Credit to the guy for stopping, but it still happened. Same with Jamal.

I'm just making the point that very much like the Browns or any given team in the league, the Steelers have their share of troublemakers. To think otherwise is pretty ultra-homerism.

Now I'm not saying that the Steelers don't have classy players. I think folks like Bettis and even Roethlisberger, whom I really despise, with his work with giving the Cleveland PD some dogs is pretty awesome. I'm just saying, they're not perfect, much like how my Cleveland Browns are.

revefsreleets
09-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Lewis was a multi-millionaire when he committed his felony he was convicted, sentenced, and served hard time for...um, I think he had other options and probably should have known better by that point...

RoethlisBURGHer
09-02-2009, 03:13 PM
If Art Moddell hadn't moved the team the '95 version of the Browns may have had a shot at one.

Just as he was turning things around in Cleveland, right as he's turning the corner, Moddell packs up.

Also, F-Modell again for good measure. Hope that guy never goes to Canton.

I agree. Especially with the F-MOdell again part. He's a scumbag who didn't do much for the NFL in his time with it, I don't see why Rod Woodson feels that Modell deserves induction into the Hall of Fame.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-02-2009, 04:27 PM
I agree. Especially with the F-MOdell again part. He's a scumbag who didn't do much for the NFL in his time with it, I don't see why Rod Woodson feels that Modell deserves induction into the Hall of Fame.

Frankly I was a bit disgusted that he thought that way.

Moddell ruined the Browns plain and simple when he bought them

Fired Paul Brown, Forced Jim Brown into retirement, traded away Paul Warfield for an overrated Mike Phipps, Fired Marty Schottenheimer despite Marty turning them into a consitant winner back in the '80s, and then not hiring Cowher whom could have easily worked with the pieces in place rather than blow the whole thing up like what Belichick did.

He moved one of the greatest sports franchises with some of the most loyal fans on the planet just because he sucked at finances. He's ruined a great rivalry that could have had a lot more potential if not for the move.

He can go straight to hell to quote the great Woody Hayes.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-02-2009, 10:06 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html?eref=T1

Anyone see this?

SI picking the Browns to have the Number 1 overall pick in the draft in '10

It'll take a Mangenius to fix all the mistakes by the lake -- and the floundering franchise hopes it has one in its new coach.

Around and around they ran at the practice facility in Berea, Ohio -- players doing one Eric Mangini-mandated lap of the field for each mistake they committed. Drop a pass? Take a lap. Commit a penalty? Take a lap. Miss a block? Get running.

Quarterbacks and linemen, stars and undrafted rookies -- they all ran counterclockwise, as if to turn back the clock to a time when the Browns seemed to be full of promise. Such as this time last year, when they basked in the glow of a surprising 10-6 finish in 2007 and looked forward to five prime-time games in '08. But the season started badly, with three defeats, and ended much, much worse. Cleveland lost its final six games, failing to score an offensive touchdown in any of the six, an NFL record for futility. The nadir came in the finale, a 31-0 thrashing at Pittsburgh that marked the Browns' 11th straight loss to their supposed archrival. Cleveland fired general manager Phil Savage that night and coach Romeo Crennel the next day. "The easy answer is to say we had a lot of injuries," says Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas. "But when things are going bad like that, it's top to bottom."

Enter Mangini, whom the Jets fired in December after three seasons and a 23-25 record, and whom the Browns a week later gave the task of remaking a team that had become rudderless and sloppy. The 38-year-old Mangini's attempt to instill discipline and toughness wasn't manifest only in the punitive laps. He has banned talking on cellphones and playing music in the locker room. He holds players accountable for parking their cars in their assigned spots. He requires that they memorize motivational phrases that he has mounted around the facility. (By the locker room's entrance: the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare.) His practices often exceed their scheduled two hours and sometimes include more hitting, players say, than a week's worth of Crennel's sessions.

"There was all this talk about Mangini coming in and tearing up a happy home, but I'll tell you what: It's been nothing but good for all of us," says fourth-year linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, who led the NFL in tackles with 154 in '08. "What we were doing wasn't enough. We're buying in."

Says Pro Bowl return man Josh Cribbs, "He let us know that things were going to change by moving Kellen" -- Mangini traded tight end Kellen Winslow to the Buccaneers in February -- "and with the rules. We needed discipline, and he brought it to us."

Sitting in his office in early August, Mangini -- who keeps information such as his depth chart and the status of players' injuries not just close to the vest but deep within its lining -- explained his philosophy. "The one thing I learned in New York is the importance of explaining why I'm doing things," he said, sounding close to admitting that he'd been too despotic in his first head-coaching gig after nearly a decade at Bill Belichick's knee. "The rules are there for one reason. We've got white, black, old, young, East Coast, West Coast, all different types in one locker room. But on Sunday we have to be Browns. The rules are designed to let this diverse community operate effectively."

A day later receiver Syndric Steptoe suffered a season-ending torn labrum during what was scheduled to be a walk-through but became a full-speed practice in a heavy rain. Steptoe's agent publicly blamed the injury on the coach, which could be a sign of things to come. If the Browns -- who'll be quarterbacked by either the unproven Brady Quinn or the regressing Derek Anderson, and whose schedule includes four games against the stacked Steelers and Ravens -- don't improve significantly upon last year's disaster, Mangini could quickly turn from discipline-instilling savior into overbearing scapegoat.

-- Ben Reiter

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/08/31/browns/#ixzz0Q0crOAOb

OUCH

Weird, the same mag. picked us a division winner in 2008.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Frankly I was a bit disgusted that he thought that way.

Moddell ruined the Browns plain and simple when he bought them

Fired Paul Brown, Forced Jim Brown into retirement, traded away Paul Warfield for an overrated Mike Phipps, Fired Marty Schottenheimer despite Marty turning them into a consitant winner back in the '80s, and then not hiring Cowher whom could have easily worked with the pieces in place rather than blow the whole thing up like what Belichick did.

He moved one of the greatest sports franchises with some of the most loyal fans on the planet just because he sucked at finances. He's ruined a great rivalry that could have had a lot more potential if not for the move.

He can go straight to hell to quote the great Woody Hayes.

Yep. The man had no idea how to run a football team. Not to mention he told everyone Cleveland wouldn't give him a new stadium when he was offered a new stadium three times, and all three times he said no.

I mean for goodness sakes, I wish someone could tell me why he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Because I don't see it.

fansince'76
09-02-2009, 10:48 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html?eref=T1

Anyone see this?

SI picking the Browns to have the Number 1 overall pick in the draft in '10

OUCH

Weird, the same mag. picked us a division winner in 2008.

And they're still way off. Denver sucks and sucks badly. The Raiders are going to be absolutely horrible too. I think those two teams for starters will have worse seasons than the Browns will.

revefsreleets
09-03-2009, 09:12 AM
That's the problem with a lot of prognosticators: They go to extremes. There was no way the Browns were winning the division last year, especially with DA at QB. They are going to be bad this year, but certainly not the worst team in the league. I'd say they'll probably be drafting 7th or even 8th next year...

KeiselPower99
09-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Anyone wanna take bets on how long before Brett Ratliff is the starter?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Anyone wanna take bets on how long before Brett Ratliff is the starter?

Dear god, I hope not too soon.

He's looked really, really, really bad in comparison. Making DA/Brady Quinn looking like Montana/Young in comparison.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Has Mangina chosen a QB and just not announced it?

I was expecting to see Anderson and Queer, err Quinn. Instead I turn on the TV and I get Brett freaking Ratliff?

I am not even going to watch the game.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Has Mangina chosen a QB and just not announced it?

I was expecting to see Anderson and Queer, err Quinn. Instead I turn on the TV and I get Brett freaking Ratliff?

I am not even going to watch the game.

Mangini apparently wants to make being a Browns fan even more frustrating. :banging::chuckle:

revefsreleets
09-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Ratliff would make a nice pro QB....in the CFL...

RoethlisBURGHer
09-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Mangini apparently wants to make being a Browns fan even more frustrating. :banging::chuckle:

He must have made a decision and is just keeping it under wraps until he absolutely has to announce it, otherwise they would have played.

If he hasn't, then I don't know what the hell he is doing.

Fire Haley
09-04-2009, 01:38 PM
ha ha!

Preseason's done, but the roster questions continue for Cleveland Browns

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter
Thursday September 03, 2009, 10:58 PM
CHICAGO -- Let the speculation begin.

In a surprising conclusion to their preseason schedule, the Browns left everyone trying to read the tea leaves scattered across Soldier Field by Eric Mangini.

The Browns coach did not play either quarterback Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn in a 26-23 loss to the Chicago Bears. Has he made up his mind on his starter for the regular season? Or was he protecting both from injury as a precursor to a trade?

All of these events may amount to nothing or to a shocking resolution of the Browns' quarterback quandary.

"In terms of the quarterbacks, I have no additional information on that," Mangini said after the game. "There's nothing really to add."

He did confirm, however, that the competition is now closed and will not extend into the first practice week of the real season.

Fire Haley
09-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Watch the pats trade a 6th or 7rd draft pick for DA

Psyychoward86
09-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Watch the pats trade a 6th or 7rd draft pick for DA

A 6th or 7th round draft pick that the Browns gladly accept.

Fire Haley
09-04-2009, 09:20 PM
All this secrecy by Mangini is hilarious.

It's football - not the D-Day invasion.

revefsreleets
09-05-2009, 06:29 AM
The Browns are definitely either cutting or shopping the loser of the battle...they claimed the rights to NE's scrub cast-off QB. It will be:

1. Quinn/DA
2. Ratliffe
3. NE dude

And i expect they will dump DA and get like a 5th for him...

Fire Haley
09-05-2009, 06:18 PM
woo-hoo - they kept Jamal Lewis

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-05-2009, 11:17 PM
The Browns are definitely either cutting or shopping the loser of the battle...they claimed the rights to NE's scrub cast-off QB. It will be:

1. Quinn/DA
2. Ratliffe
3. NE dude

And i expect they will dump DA and get like a 5th for him...

I'll take that, even if it means Ratliff at backup QB.

Ratliff hasn't looked that impressive what-so-ever, if he gets in after Quinn gets hurt, the season is over. Though, some could argue (namely me) the season was pretty much over even before it began. :banging:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-05-2009, 11:21 PM
woo-hoo - they kept Jamal Lewis

this year is going to be his last, IMO, he has nothing in the tank.

Browns need to get a RB in the draft pretty badly, maybe Spiller can reunited with Davis and we'll continue on "Thunder and Lightning"

Fire Haley
09-05-2009, 11:35 PM
So who the hell is your QB?

The mangenius is becoming the laughingstock of the league.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-05-2009, 11:40 PM
So who the hell is your QB?

The mangenius is becoming the laughingstock of the league.

http://i.current.com/images/asset/893/160/04/p0vc4D.jpg

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2003/01/18/marvin5_zoom.jpg

http://rootzoo.com/article_photo_uploads/dougied89_15840_8867.jpg

http://stfusports.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/josh-mcdaniels.jpg

Still a long, long way from that.

The QB comp. is over, I'm sure the team knows by now, and Mangini long before that. Couldn't tell you whom it is though.

MACH1
09-06-2009, 12:07 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1OMiSrEJXnY/RaUOPtDCgcI/AAAAAAAAAns/BrTVzM2ZQvM/s320/team-mangina.gif

Fire Haley
09-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Still a long, long way from that..

So you're in the Top 5 of the loser list.

Congratulations!

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-06-2009, 12:47 AM
So you're in the Top 5 of the loser list.

Congratulations!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwqqZPlAI7E

Yeah, but we get lucky sometimes.

revefsreleets
09-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Hmmmmm....Browns cut an EXTRA guy and only have 52 on the roster...AND they haven't dumped DA yet (which would be even up for that NE scrap pile QB)....Isaac Redman, anyone?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Updated 10:55 a.m.Browns coach Eric Mangini said Monday he's made his decision on a starting quarterback, but will keep his identity internal and not reveal it to the Vikings, Sunday's season opening opponent.

He said he will tell the two quarterbacks in the "near future'' in separate conversations with each of them. He said he'll explain to them why and how the decision was made. He said as a defensive coordinator, it's difficult to prepare for an offense when the quarterback is unknown.

He said he expects both quarterbacks to prepare as though they're the starter. He added that both have prepared and competed at a high level. "It was thorough and detailed and we looked at the whole body of work,'' said Mangini. "It was extensive. I feel strongly about the improvement both guys made.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/09/cleveland_browns_coach_eric_ma_5.html

I feel that the guy who's getting the job has probably known of it for a few weeks.

I'm auctually sold that he'll give DA the nod and let him choke himself out of the job, and then give it to Quinn.

Why? I do not know.

revefsreleets
09-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Tougher to prepare for the Browns? Really?

Cleveland should just be happy if they can manage to score one single TD, and it would not surprise me if Peterson sets a new NFL rushing record against that sieve of a defense...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-07-2009, 02:19 PM

Cleveland should just be happy if they can manage to score one single TD, and it would not surprise me if Peterson sets a new NFL rushing record against that sieve of a defense...

wouldn't shock me in the least bit.

Have a chance for tix for that game, as I the Vikes are my 2nd favorite team, almost want to go just on the off chance I'll see history being made.

At the same time though, if Brett Farve is arrogant and insists on control of the team and passing the ball over just giving the ball to AP all day, I could see the Browns having a shot at an upset. Childress seems to be the type of coach Farve could walk all over, so we shall see.

randy06
09-07-2009, 03:10 PM
wouldn't shock me in the least bit.

Have a chance for tix for that game, as I the Vikes are my 2nd favorite team, almost want to go just on the off chance I'll see history being made.

At the same time though, if Brett Farve is arrogant and insists on control of the team and passing the ball over just giving the ball to AP all day, I could see the Browns having a shot at an upset. Childress seems to be the type of coach Farve could walk all over, so we shall see.

Its not Favre's choice to pass or run this is AP's team and I think he knows that all he has to do is manage the game its not on him anymore thats why he wanted to go to the Vikings,

Fire Haley
09-07-2009, 05:40 PM

My brother is stealing my thoughts again.

MACH1
09-07-2009, 08:15 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/Red_Right_88/losers.jpg

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-07-2009, 08:27 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/Red_Right_88/losers.jpg

Just 'cuz my team sucks right now doesn't make me a loser.

Just makes me really stubborn and I like getting my heart broken......repeatidly. :banging:

Anyone can be a fan of a winner, takes a real fan to stick with a truly lousy team like the current edition of the Cleveland Browns.

Though to make a point, the "Charlies' Frye" guy in that pic, whom is now know as "Dawg pound mike" is attention whoring douche bag, that auctually had Chad Johnson jump into his arms at CBS, while others were flicking him off and pouring beer on him. Around 99% of the fanbase really disown him for those reasons.

revefsreleets
09-08-2009, 09:06 AM
After the Vikes jump up 21-0 in the 1st Qtr, there will be no need to pass...and Peterson MAY get the necessary yards he needs in the first 2 or 3 quarters.

That's the problem with this "logic", as if throwing the ball against a very weak secondary is somehow going to slow the Vikings scoring down....it will simply speed it up and put them in conservative run the ball mode. Cleveland won't be able to stop either...

Anybody have the spread on this game? It's got to be double digits at least, and the Browns won't cover no matter what the teaser is.

Fire Haley
09-08-2009, 12:50 PM
He said as a defensive coordinator, it's difficult to prepare for an offense when the quarterback is unknown

Mangini is such a doofus - you think the Colts are giving away a super secret advantage when they announce Peyton is going to start every game?

Browns have dumb and dumber to chose from - no wonder all the Jets fans hated his belichickian cloak and dagger act.

He's a goof.

revefsreleets
09-08-2009, 12:55 PM
No way, man, he's a genius...just look how he turned things around for the Jets when he took over for Herm Edwards and his lowly .488 winning percentage....he took that team and......oh....wait....Mangini had a .479 winning percentage...

Nevermind!

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-09-2009, 01:30 PM
/snickers

DA's a blabbermouth and an idiot.

After handling a few awkward questions, Anderson, who met with reporters first on Wednesday, may have given away Mangini's choice when he said "the rest of us have to go about our regular preparations."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/ohio-news/anderson-quinn-do-best-to-keep-manginis-secret-289985.html

There you go folks, Brady Quinn is the next QB...until he fails, and we have to get LeFevour or somebody else.

Fire Haley
09-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I dub thee

Flounder

http://allthewrightstuff.mlblogs.com/david_wright_and_the_magi/images/mangini.jpg

RoethlisBURGHer
09-09-2009, 04:35 PM
/snickers

DA's a blabbermouth and an idiot.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/ohio-news/anderson-quinn-do-best-to-keep-manginis-secret-289985.html

There you go folks, Brady Quinn is the next QB...until he fails, and we have to get LeFevour or somebody else.

I think DA is smarter than people think.

He doesn't want to stay on the team when he feels he can possibly start somewhere else. So by saying what he said, maybe it will get Mangina to trade him somewhere.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I dub thee

Flounder

http://allthewrightstuff.mlblogs.com/david_wright_and_the_magi/images/mangini.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA5biqrlt3w

I think he's more like Kevin James IMO.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I dub thee

Flounder

:rofl: Hahahahahaha

revefsreleets
09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I think DA is smarter than people think.

He doesn't want to stay on the team when he feels he can possibly start somewhere else. So by saying what he said, maybe it will get Mangina to trade him somewhere.

DA DOES deserve some credit...he's got an extremely limited amount of talent, but he's managed to parlay that little bit (it's really only about 2 months of success way back in early 07 when nobody knew anything about him and he was tossing short balls behind a GREAT OL) into multiple millions, and he may have garnered himself some long-term shelf life in the NFL by Mangina artificially expounding his limited skills.

He's like the Charlie Weiss of NFL coaches....and, although it's dirty and wrong to exploit peoples expectations for money, you have to give them a LITTLE credit for fooling people at the highest levels...and they both are rich from their lies...