PDA

View Full Version : Porter Worth $5m?

Dook
01-16-2006, 05:18 AM
I'm sure some think Porter had an outstanding game yesterday because of that late sack he got against Manning. It was a big play but Porter was completely unblocked.

Porter had zero tackles yesterday and 1.5 sacks. The sack he got .5 credit for he shouldn't even have gotten any.

Not all of it is Porter's fault, it's the scheme. They often have Porter playing up on the line as a speed rusher so he gets no tackles but he never pursues. He stands and watches the play go up the middle or to the other side.

Now he did keep some pressure on Manning but it seems to me that we could insert any decent LB in his place and get the same production, and save about $3.5m a year toward re-signing Kimo, Randel El, and Townsend.

Rotorhead
01-16-2006, 07:13 AM
I think we will have plenty of cap room to resign ARE, Kimo and Ike while keeping Porter. Remember Bettis will retire after we get him is ring so that free's up enough to sign Kimo or Ike. I dont see us drafting Lendale White (GreenBay is frothing at the mouth for him) so whoever we do sign probably won't demand all that much money. Remember Porter's role is to rush the QB, he had 9.5 sacks on the year and we used him in coverage alot this year, he could have easily been the sack leader. His kind of rushing ability is key to our defense backs. I think we should keep him.

MichiSteeler
01-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Of course we need to keep him:dang:

Avoid Lloyd
01-16-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm going to pretend I didn't just read this thread....

Should we keep Porter? Are you being serious? He had 1.5 sacks in the Colts second to last series which should have ended the game. If that isn't coming through in the clutch then I don't know what it is.

He had more sacks this year than any other linebacker in football. He is also the emotional leader of our defense.

So I have to agree with Michi when I say: :dang:

Stlrs4Life
01-16-2006, 09:27 AM
I don't know, i think you still keep Porter. El, I get rid of, unless we can sign him cheap. Besides, Porter is very aggressive, we need that.

Da'Burgh
01-16-2006, 09:37 AM
I don't know, i think you still keep Porter. El, I get rid of, unless we can sign him cheap. Besides, Porter is very aggressive, we need that.

Get rid of El? You really think we can afford to give up another receiver? We don't have enough depth there to give one up. We need to resign El, not just anyone can fit in a Steelers uni, and do you think you find someone cheaper than him that match his skills? Nah. Plus, he has some potential.

SteelCityMan786
01-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Keep ARE, And Porter and any good guys we got.

Milkman
01-16-2006, 10:48 AM
We keep the guys who don't ask for too much money...plain and simple.
Just look at last year when we let Burress go because he wanted too much.
We survived and actually look to do more damage in the playoffs w/o him.

Remember, this is a team that has no room for the greedy mofos.

P.S. - I would love to keep all our guys, but the salary cap always has something to say about it.

Tooquickrich
01-16-2006, 11:26 AM
C'mon now. You know Cower has that "Linebacker" tree out behind Heinz field. If we do lose Porter Cower just plucks another ripe 'backer and we're good to go (Kreiwaldt filled in just fine while Farrior was out).

I hope we keep him, but I don't see us spending $5 million on Porter. Porter has excelled in the defensive scheme, so I hope he'll resign for under market value :bouncy: .

Besides, we need to keep some extra cash around for when we need to resign Polomolu (Cower ain't got a "Safety" tree out back......lol).

Milkman
01-16-2006, 11:28 AM
C'mon now. You know Cower has that "Linebacker" tree out behind Heinz field. If we do lose Porter Cower just plucks another ripe 'backer and we're good to go (Kreiwaldt filled in just fine while Farrior was out).

I hope we keep him, but I don't see us spending $5 million on Porter. Porter has excelled in the defensive scheme, so I hope he'll resign for under market value :bouncy: .

Besides, we need to keep some extra cash around for when we need to resign Polomolu (Cower ain't got a "Safety" tree out back......lol).

Well said Bro. Glad you could make it to the best site on the 'net. :sign01: :helmet:

clevestinks
01-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Porter is thier leader on defense!
Porter is the loud emotional leader in the locker room!
Porter has come up huge the last six weeks, stats? Who needs them? All th offenses know where he is, he is accounted the majority of the time.
I think if we let him go now, the team will feel as if it falling apart. He is the heart and soul of this team

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
we need porter he is a leader on defense

ngreene15
01-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Porter is thier leader on defense!
Porter is the loud emotional leader in the locker room!
Porter has come up huge the last six weeks, stats? Who needs them? All th offenses know where he is, he is accounted the majority of the time.
I think if we let him go now, the team will feel as if it falling apart. He is the heart and soul of this team

Exactly... And I think he is one of the main reason why the defense has that swagger and the identity of smashmouth.

Avoid Lloyd
01-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah, you don't just pick up another Joey Porter. It was the same thing when we lost Lloyd...yeah we had Gildon, but he was no Lloyd.

Being a leader is just as important as, if not more important than, being a sack master.