PDA

View Full Version : Ben's passing interest? More rings

mesaSteeler
08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/08/16/sports/steelers/doc4a88ca31cfd6b559401805.txt

[B]
Ben's passing interest? More rings[/B

AP photo by GENE J. PUSKAR BEN AT WORK: Ben Roethlisberger had an easy time of it Thursday night in the Steelers’ preseason opener against Arizona at Heinz Field.

By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff

LATROBE Even with two Super Bowl titles to his resume, Ben Roethlisberger believes hes still a work in progress.

Already an elite quarterback in the National Football League, he wants to get better.

How can that be?

For me, its just learning the offense, and I say this every year, learning about defenses, he said Sunday at St. Vincent College.

What plays work with certain defenses just making sure I dont make mental mistakes. Right now, its about getting my footwork up and going, working on quick feet and getting away from center, getting back there so I can get the ball out on time.

Those are things a superstar fine-tunes in order to keep his game at the highest level.

Those are things hes working on in his sixth training camp with the Steelers.

And as far as his right throwing arm is concerned, Roethlisberger says its right where it needs to be at this stage of the preseason.

This is his football team now, offensively for sure, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. You know, he came in here as a rookie on a very veteran team, but now he is the man. It takes time to develop that. You earn respect. Its not given to you. And Bens earned it.

Roethlisberger began earning that respect the moment he started his first game. In Week 3 with Tommy Maddox out with an elbow injury, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to a rain-soaked 13-3 win over Miami. Hes gone on to win 50 more regular-season starts and has set a record for most victories by a quarterback in his first five pro seasons.

What can you ask for from a 27-year-old quarterback? said tackle Max Starks. Hes showing everyone that there was a reason why he got picked so high in the first round of the draft (11th overall in 2004).

Ive had the pleasure of being Bens locker room mate ever since weve been in Pittsburgh. You can see his maturation process over the years. Hes a tough, hard-nosed football player. He wants to make plays. He wants to be the best he can be. He wants to win.

Since Roethlisberger directed the game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLIII, there have been newspaper stories written about him suggesting that hes a Hall of Fame shoo-in. There have been stories suggesting hes a better quarterback that Terry Bradshaw, the QB of the Steelers dynasty teams in the 1970s.

Roethlisberger almost cringes when he hears such fanfare. But if his next five years are anything like his first five, hell be ranked among the greatest quarterbacks of all-time.

For me, its about championships and Bradshaw has four, Roethlisberger said. Im not saying Im the next Terry Bradshaw because hes one of a kind. They were big shoes when I first got here that I said I had to try and fill, and Im still not going to try to fill them.

Im just going to try to be me because (Bradshaw) is the all-time Steelers quarterback. Im just trying to be Ben, and win as many (championships) as I can.

So to be the best he can be, Roethlisberger has been working hard at training camp. Hes studying his playbook. Hes trying to learn more about defensive tendencies. Hes working on his footwork. Hes also trying to build relationships with new wide receivers he may be throwing to this year like Limas Sweed and Mike Wallace.

Its a dream come true, Arians said of working with an athlete the caliber of Roethlisberger. You want to be a coordinator when you have a quarterback who can play like this one and (be) the leader that he is.

If you dont have a (quality) quarterback, youre not going to win in this league.

The Steelers have one, and they believe his best is yet to come.

wootawnee
08-17-2009, 02:38 PM
“What can you ask for from a 27-year-old quarterback?” said tackle Max Starks. “He’s showing everyone that there was a reason why he got picked so high in the first round of the draft (11th overall in 2004).

“I’ve had the pleasure of being Ben’s locker room mate ever since we’ve been in Pittsburgh. You can see his maturation process over the years. He’s a tough, hard-nosed football player. He wants to make plays. He wants to be the best he can be. He wants to win.”

Well said Max......You da Man......

The Lakelander
08-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Ben was the lone slacker on Saturday at camp. Over and over again he was sitting out even the least stressful of drills.

When it was time to throw his reps, Ben was in there firing away.

When it was time for conditioning reps, Ben was sitting on his helmet.

He's surely getting special treatment!

He did run a 200 yard "hot potato" drill with a trainer after the players broke away at 5:00. But that was it!

pancake
08-17-2009, 04:53 PM
What can you ask for from a 27-year-old quarterback? said tackle Max Starks. Hes showing everyone that there was a reason why he got picked so high in the first round of the draft (11th overall in 2004).

Ive had the pleasure of being Bens locker room mate ever since weve been in Pittsburgh. You can see his maturation process over the years. Hes a tough, hard-nosed football player. He wants to make plays. He wants to be the best he can be. He wants to win.

You should have seenhim play in the first preseason game. The big guy has seen better days, but I like what he has said about Big Ben...

AllD
08-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Finally puts those experimental days of Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart behind us.

siss
08-17-2009, 10:57 PM

Oh but his team mates don't like him! :coffee:

scsteeler
08-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Ben was the lone slacker on Saturday at camp. Over and over again he was sitting out even the least stressful of drills.

When it was time to throw his reps, Ben was in there firing away.

When it was time for conditioning reps, Ben was sitting on his helmet.

He's surely getting special treatment!

He did run a 200 yard "hot potato" drill with a trainer after the players broke away at 5:00. But that was it!

Hey if that helps him be theQB he is now I have no problem with that.