PDA

View Full Version : Did Anthony Madison get the ax???

tony hipchest
08-17-2009, 03:29 PM
twitter rumor time! (as per wexell)-

Madison not here. Looked like he got bad news from Colbert earlier in day and left.

12 minutes ago from txt we all knew he was hanging by a thread. if true this does one of 2 things... assures that smokin joe burnett makes the squad.

opens a spot to keep summers AND redman (im thinking the former).

plus its actually better to cut him now so he has a better chance with a new team to learn the system and make the squad.

steelreserve
08-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Well, that would be neat. I can't remember Madison ever doing a hell of a lot for us.

I'm thinking the same as you -- that'll free up a spot for a young, less expensive DB like Burnett (or Mundy?).

Carey Davis getting cut is what'll let us keep Summers and Redman.

mmalone
08-17-2009, 03:35 PM
he blew like 7 plays in a row against the cards.... he was lost out there.....

he had a pick, but we seen that horrible call..

either way.. will we miss him this year?

tony hipchest
08-17-2009, 03:50 PM

either way.. will we miss him this year?madison was a ST demon and was picked on in coverage vs. the cardinals on 3 straight plays until that great int.

we will miss him less on st's than we would davis (who reportedly has taken on a leadership role and is one of their best).

i think mundy is a lock unless he is injured or d. richardson pulls a rabbit out of his hat and flat out beatsh him for the job. mundy seems to have too much FBI and a year in the system for that to happen though.

i think burnett showed all the coaches they needed to see, do do madison the favor and seek another team before it got too late in camp.

burnett sounds like a veteran when asked about his interception-

http://pit.scout.com/2/888309.html

Q: What do you think? Is this anything close to how you envisioned your debut at Heinz Field?

A: Actually, Iíve been thinking about this a long time. I thank God for allowing me to be here today with the Pittsburgh Steelers, but I did, Iíve been thinking about this moment and itís been building up, building up, building up to the game, and I thank God for the opportunity.

Q: On the interception, what did you see? What did you do?

A: It was a great call by the coach. I read a three-step (QB drop) and I expected three-step and as soon as he got to that third step I put my eyes on the wide receiver and saw that he was chopping down, so that was the signal for me to go. I went, the quarterback threw it, and I picked it.

Q: What do you mean that it was a great call by the coach?

A: Coach put us into coverage where I had quarters (zone) and safety help, so I knew I could break down a little bit more and focus on the quarterbackís drop. I got my pre-snap read, I knew I had a safety over the top, and coach told me he likes to throw off his third step, so it was the perfect call for that.

Q: Why didnít you score?

A: Being a rookie, youíve got to play 13 positions out there, so my legs were gone. They were out of order from playing defense, returning punts, playing gunner, I guess.

Q: What about the punt you dropped?

A: I actually fumbled a punt. I caught the punt and ran into one of my guys. I have a short memory, though

7willBheaven
08-17-2009, 03:51 PM
IF he is gone...i think we'll be fine...he was mainly a ST player...but we have Bailey among others that do good on ST, as much as i liked the guy on ST...if it makes it so we can have our CBs like...Ike, Gay, Towns, Ratliff, Lewis, Burnett..i have no problem with it one bit.

steelreserve
08-17-2009, 03:52 PM
burnett sounds like a veteran when asked about his interception-

http://pit.scout.com/2/888309.html

Hey, man, forget that. I want to know what he thought the first time he saw the six Lombardi trophies.

pancake
08-17-2009, 03:57 PM
A good sp player, but I didn't expext him to make the team anyway this year with the new CB on the roster.

tony hipchest
08-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Tomlin: Tank, McDonald prob back Tuesday, Aaron had day off, Madison death in family.

looks like he wasnt given the ax... yet. he's too 1 dimensional with little to no upside.

Dino 6 Rings
08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
well he's still on the roster per the website...so...nothing official.

http://www.steelers.com/team/player/

BlastFurnace
08-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Got this from another board...Wexell just announced that Madison had a death in the family. Apparently, that is the reason he is missing.

Dino 6 Rings
08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
That makes sense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Damn you twitter!!!! :old:

A death in the family of Madison turns into a rumor he was cut. Where is the journalistic integrity of it all? :rulez:

mesaSteeler
08-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Madison leaves practice after a death in his family
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/08/17/sports/steelers/doc4a89c9d745c7b734081191.txt
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Monday, August 17, 2009 5:25 PM EDT

LATROBE -- Steelers cornerback Anthony Madison left this afternoonís practice after learning that one of his family members had died.

A native of Thomasville, Ala., Madison is a reserve corner whoís played primarily on the Steelersí special teams the past three years.

A team spokesman didnít know which of Madisonís relatives had died.

fansince'76
08-17-2009, 05:11 PM

A death in the family of Madison turns into a rumor he was cut. Where is the journalistic integrity of it all? :rulez:

But Twitter is the most reliable source of news out there! :rolleyes:

43Hitman
08-17-2009, 06:03 PM

Jim Wexell of all people..Now that's news you can rely on.:chuckle:

steelreserve
08-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Tweet.

Fire Haley
08-17-2009, 06:17 PM
The only one jumping to conclusions is Wex.

Maybe this will teach you not to believe everything you read on twitter.

Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff

Published: Monday, August 17, 2009 5:25 PM EDT

LATROBE -- Steelers cornerback Anthony Madison left this afternoon’s practice after learning that one of his family members had died.

A native of Thomasville, Ala., Madison is a reserve corner who’s played primarily on the Steelers’ special teams the past three years.

tony hipchest
08-17-2009, 06:47 PM
wexell seems a little irritated you guys are twisting his tweets into wildfire like spreading internet rumors...

To those who can't read, no one here reported Madison was cut. How dumb are some of you?

In fact, I don't see Madison getting cut anytime soon. Another roster lock. Best gunner by far, and salary won't matter to the coach.

:chuckle: twitter rumors are fun.

i dont know.... i think his days are numbered. losing morey sucked too, but i wasnt like he was ever gonna play wr.

mmalone
08-17-2009, 07:04 PM

either way.. will we miss him this year?

i have to take my bad plays back, someone must have died close to game time for him. he probably shouldnt have played.. his head was not in the game for sure.

7willBheaven
08-17-2009, 09:54 PM
well he's still on the roster per the website...so...nothing official.

http://www.steelers.com/team/player/

Hahah...if you go by the Steelers site as far as being updated info, thats no the best source...haha, it took them a while to update the rosters with signings before. Its sad...i rarely ever rely on their site for anything anymore.

BlastFurnace
08-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Madison is this team's Chidi. Sometimes, you make sacrifices to keep someone that good on Special Teams. To me, Madison is worth it.

tony hipchest
08-17-2009, 10:43 PM
madison = chidi = morey.

with townsends career near end, along with his contract, and gay and ike taylor being potential high dollar free agents, i would say rookies like k. lewis and j. burnett are at a premium as opposed to a special team ace who shows no potential of ever being a starting positional player in this league.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2009, 10:38 AM
madison = chidi = morey.

with townsends career near end, along with his contract, and gay and ike taylor being potential high dollar free agents, i would say rookies like k. lewis and j. burnett are at a premium as opposed to a special team ace who shows no potential of ever being a starting positional player in this league.

True, but the guy that might be the odd man out is Keiwan Ratliff.

CB depth could be Taylor, Gay, Townsend, Lewis, Burnett and Madison. Although, I said that Burnett would supplant Madison on the roster back before camp started.