PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Holmes motivation to win was not ring, but Hines Ward

mesaSteeler
08-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Steelers Holmes motivation to win was not ring, but Hines Ward
August 18, 2:14 AM · Matt Pawlikowski - Pittsburgh Sports Examiner
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m8d18-Steelers-Holmes-motivation-to-win-was-not-ring-but-Hines-Ward

LATROBE - Over the years the Steelers have produced some great wide receivers. Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Louis Lipps and of course Hines Ward.

While both Swann and Stallworth are in the Hall-of Fame and Ward should one day be there, one wideout stands out and he is just in the infancy of his playing career and not yet mentioned with the above.

But that guy, Santonio Holmes made history. Not only was his spectacular catch in the corner of the end zone during the Super Bowl one of the best all-time in that game, it also enabled the Steelers to win a record sixth Lombardi trophy.

"It probably took the whole off-season to sink in," Holmes said. "Just to have the opportunity to fly around and meet new people, it’s been a lot of fun."

Surprisingly, Holmes said he had a mission when it came to winning the Super Bowl and it wasn't the ring.

"My goal was to win that Super Bowl for Hines Ward, to solidify his place in the Hall of Fame," said Holmes.

Holmes was a standout receiver at Ohio State, where he finished fifth on the all time reception list with 140, and third with his 25 receiving TDs over his three seasons.

But after being drafted by the Steelers with the first pick of the 2006 draft, he struggled to find his niche. He attributes his early success to both Ward and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

"They've both been a part of my life since I came into the NFL and they put me in the right direction from the start," Holmes said. ”I definetly give a lot of credit to coach Arians for allowing me to grow and Hines being there. Not rushing me to be a top player when I stepped into the NFL but to take my time and grow into a great player."

Holmes ‘catch’ has helped him with what he is most proud of, his charitable causes.

“It’s always good to give back," Holmes said. "Like with my charity I starting I'm definitely giving back to the families of the less fortunate kids who are having trouble with sickle cell, so I'm trying to help as much as possible."

Although Holmes was the Super Bowl MVP, something players dream about, he still thinks he has a lot of work to become the complete player.

"I can improve by being a smarter player," Holmes said. "By taking my time to understand the offense, being more responsible for my actions, playing different positions helping out the team as much as possible, I think those type of things will help me become a better player."

Holmes says that one of the biggest reasons he enjoys being a Steeler as opposed to playing for another team in the NFL, is the fact the Steelers are like a family.

"It's about the family, it’s the camaraderie, a group of guys that stick together whether we are on or off the field, we always spend time together, we can call each other and we are always there to help each other out.".Holmes said. “That is the way it is here in Pittsburgh."

Copyright 2009 Examiner.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Author
Matt Pawlikowski is an Examiner from Pittsburgh. You can see Matt's articles at: "http://www.Examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner"
Print

HometownGal
08-18-2009, 07:07 AM
He attributes his early success to both Ward and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. ”I definetly give a lot of credit to coach Arians for allowing me to grow."

:jawdrop: Say it aint so Santo! :chuckle:

Great read. :thumbsup:

"I can improve by being a smarter player," Holmes said. "By taking my time to understand the offense, being more responsible for my actions, playing different positions helping out the team as much as possible, I think those type of things will help me become a better player."

I think it is obvious that Santo has not only done a lot of growing up within the system, but a lot of growing up as an adult as well. :applaudit::hatsoff:

scsteeler
08-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Great Read! Being Humble always takes you far in life.

O Sensei
08-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Good, good stuff.....attaboy BA! Best Damn OC in the bidness!:hug:

Wonder, does 'Tone have someone close afected by sickle cell?

Santo has not only done a lot of growing up within the system, but a lot of growing up as an adult as well

You said it, thats what it's all about right here! :hatsoff:

Indo
08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Good, good stuff.....attaboy BA! Best Damn OC in the bidness!:hug:

Wonder, does 'Tone have someone close afected by sickle cell?

Santo has not only done a lot of growing up within the system, but a lot of growing up as an adult as well

You said it, thats what it's all about right here! :hatsoff:

Holmes son has Sickle Cell Disease

CanadianSteel
08-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Hopefully he considers Piitsburgh family when it comes time to sign his second contract....:applaudit:

Looking for a big year from "Tone" to build off his playoff run from last year....