PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Madison mourns loss of father

mesaSteeler
08-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Notebook: Madison mourns loss of father
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/08/18/sports/steelers/doc4a8a290440aa4071336919.txt
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:15 AM EDT
Cornerback Anthony Madison will likely miss the last four days of camp due to the death of his father.

In between the two Monday practices, Madison was told the bad news by Steelers director of football operations and special teams coach Bob Ligashesky.

Madison is a second-team corner who’s played primarily on the Steelers’ special teams the past three years.

With the Steelers breaking camp Friday, Madison may not return to St. Vincent College. However, he is expected to play Saturday when the Steelers meet the Redskins in a preseason game in Landover, Md.

SPOOFING REED

If Andy Schantz doesn’t make it in pro football, he may be able to turn to acting. He displayed his acting talent Sunday night at the annual Steelers’ rookie talent show. The rookie linebacker had the team howling in laughter.

Schantz did so by re-enacting an off-season incident in which kicker Jeff Reed was charged for criminal mischief and disorderly conduct for breaking a towel dispenser at a Westmoreland County convenience store.

“Some people asked me to do it,” Schantz said. “I was kind of uncomfortable at first. I really don’t know what kind of guy Jeff is. I didn’t want to offend him in any way. But they told me he was all right with it. I’m glad everyone got a laugh out of it.”

Schantz, a native of Santa Clarita, Calif., had acted in various productions while attending high school and college at Portland State.

Even though he majored in criminal justice, he may try acting some day.

“I’d like to do this for a while and dabble in acting afterwards,” he said.

SPARE THE SPIKE

Veteran free safety Ryan Clark is glad rookie running back Isaac Redman is faring so well in short-yardage situations. But Clark wasn’t very happy about Redman spiking the football after he scored the first of his five touchdowns in a goal-line scrimmage Sunday.

“It’s very premature,” Clark said. “You got to do a little more before you start spiking the ball. Stay humble. And it wasn’t like it was the varsity out there. It really wasn’t the varsity. It was the varsity minus a couple.”

Sitting out that drill were two defensive starters — strong safety Troy Polamalu and Clark.

INJURY UPDATE

WR Shaun McDonald missed practice after suffering a bruised calf after the morning practice. He was hurt getting in and out of an ice tub outside the team locker room.

RB Frank Summers sat out with a minor groin injury as did Mewelde Moore, who missed yet another practice with a nagging hamstring injury.

DE Travis Kirschke also sat out after twisting his ankle Sunday.

After missing several practices and the preseason game against Arizona due to an abdominal strain, wide receiver Brandon Williams returned to practice.

HometownGal
08-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Thought and prayers go out to Anthony Madison and his family on the loss of his father. :tombstone:

Funny stuff on Schantz re-enacting Jeff Reed's going postal on the towel dispenser! :laughing::rofl::toofunny:

“It’s very premature,” Clark said. “You got to do a little more before you start spiking the ball. Stay humble. And it wasn’t like it was the varsity out there. It really wasn’t the varsity. It was the varsity minus a couple.”

:applaudit::thumbsup::applaudit:

O Sensei
08-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Any report on the cause of death?

Tough break for Summers with the RB race apparantly tight.

Ditto McDonald.

Edman
08-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Madison is a rare one. He has a father he knows and upholds with respect. Not many kids have a dedicated father to look up to nowadays.

steelreserve
08-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, to put it in perspective, if your father dies, then getting cut from the team might not be such bad news by comparison. Maybe now would be a good time to break it to him.

bradness113
08-18-2009, 12:58 PM
steelreserve ur an ass. he just lost his father, and IF he gets cut, he'll lose his JOB. Its not a hobby. Its the way he supports his family and himself. So next time u decide to open ur mouth...make sure it doesnt make u look like an idiot first.

RIP. -- Ant u and ur fam r in my thoughts and prayers...be strong bro

steelreserve
08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
steelreserve ur an ass. he just lost his father, and IF he gets cut, he'll lose his JOB. Its not a hobby. Its the way he supports his family and himself. So next time u decide to open ur mouth...make sure it doesnt make u look like an idiot first.

RIP. -- Ant u and ur fam r in my thoughts and prayers...be strong bro

Yeah, yeah, too soon. I don't have that tag under my name for no reason.

I certainly feel bad for the guy, but I don't get this tiptoeing around and treating the players with Extra Respect as if it was your own family. While I'm sure it sucks for him, the reality is, you don't know the guy and he doesn't know you, and if you lost your job, he wouldn't give a shit. It's fair game for jokes just like any other public figure if you ask me.

Also, tip from the top: If you're trying to insult someone, it loses a lot of its effectiveness when you use bad punctuation and words like "u" and "ur."

Steel Head
08-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Well, to put it in perspective, if your father dies, then getting cut from the team might not be such bad news by comparison. Maybe now would be a good time to break it to him.

disagree

if anything this will delay when they cut him probably

the first wave of cuts is next week i believe. Madison should make it past that and be cut later on

steelreserve
08-18-2009, 01:59 PM
disagree

if anything this will delay when they cut him probably

the first wave of cuts is next week i believe. Madison should make it past that and be cut later on

Yeah, I wouldn't really expect them to dump him in the first round of cuts either. There's enough competition at that spot that they'll probably let the battle go on for as long as possible. Plus, if one of the other DBs goes on injured reserve, he suddenly becomes a good guy to have around. But unless that happens, I don't really like his chances. Probably sucks pretty bad for him these days.

bradness113
08-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Well I didnt see your tag before, about you being an inconsiderate S.O.B, but that doesnt even do you justice...And as far as you ASSuming that I dont know him, or that he doesnt know me, we are actually good friends (saw him last week, matter of fact) So next time you try to insult someone, get YOUR facts straight... :thumbsup:

:rofl:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/Bradness113/SUPER%20BOWL%20AFTER-PARTY/CIMG1162.jpg

(This was taken at the Superbowl After-Party)

steelreserve
08-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Well I didnt see your tag before, about you being an inconsiderate S.O.B, but that doesnt even do you justice...And as far as you ASSuming that I dont know him, or that he doesnt know me, we are actually good friends (saw him last week, matter of fact) So next time you try to insult someone, get YOUR facts straight...

Yeah, that doesn't really have anything to do with me "getting my facts straight", so much as you having a special situation that you didn't say anything about. I might be pretty awesome, but I'm not in the mind-reading business yet.

Since 99.9999% of the time, the correct answer is "This guy is not actually friends with a particular Steelers player," I'm going to go right ahead and keep assuming that as a rule.

Guess the one thing I was wrong about was assuming that the average person is smart enough to spot blatant sarcasm or know how to take a joke.

bradness113
08-18-2009, 03:11 PM
maybe you should stop assuming in the first place...

steelreserve
08-18-2009, 04:04 PM
maybe you should stop assuming in the first place...

... and maybe you should get down off your self-important high horse, pull down your pants, and go f*** yourself.

Fine. You had some information I didn't know and made me look bad. You got me. Good for you. Don't go around telling me what to do. Anyone with half a brain would've recognized that as a joke in the first place, so go take your overly-sensitive ass and cry to someone else.

bradness113
08-18-2009, 04:41 PM
no ones crying...i made my point. u made urself look like an idiot. and u now see that...have a nice day.

fansince'76
08-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Please chill out, folks. I don't feel like handing out infractions today. Thanks.

bradness113
08-18-2009, 05:27 PM
its all good '76

steelreserve
08-18-2009, 06:25 PM
no ones crying...i made my point. u made urself look like an idiot. and u now see that...have a nice day.

well, not really, but you go ahead and think whatever you want. this is the textbook definition of not worth the trouble.

bradness113
08-18-2009, 06:51 PM
:coffee:

steelreserve
08-18-2009, 06:54 PM

my thoughts exactly.

tony hipchest
08-18-2009, 07:53 PM

:chug:

(too late and hot for cofee)