PDA

View Full Version : Donovan Woods

Steel Head
08-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Here is a nice write-up on Woods: http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=7258

I had no idea he played QB in college then switched to Safety.

The Steelers may have found another diamond in the rough in Woods. He could be a valuable back-up linebacker and is also good on special teams. I think the final roster spots for LB'ers will look something like this:

starters: Woodley - Farrior - Timmons - J. Harrison

backups: B. Davis - Fox - Woods - A. Harrison (or Frazier)

If god-forbid Harrison or Woodley were to get hurt, they should move Timmons to OLB and plug Fox or Woods in the middle

mmalone
08-18-2009, 03:33 PM

Keenan Lewis could be a FS also, he seems to like contact

steelreserve
08-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Now there's a guy I hadn't heard anything about for a long time. I hope he's as good as it sounds. I'm kind of worried about who we have to back up the ILB spots. From what I've heard so far, it's been Fox and then nobody.

ricksteelers55
08-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Now there's a guy I hadn't heard anything about for a long time. I hope he's as good as it sounds. I'm kind of worried about who we have to back up the ILB spots. From what I've heard so far, it's been Fox and then nobody.

I wonder if Derrick Brooks could play some inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.I know he's not very big but still think he can cover and do a decent job as a backup

Men of Steel
08-18-2009, 05:19 PM
a linebacker that can run like a safety and throw passes too!

lets just hope arians doesn't want to implement woods in the wildcat formation and have him throw passes ( and if he throws a pic.. single handedly tackle the defender force a fumble and recover the ball again )
:chuckle: :rolleyes:

The Lakelander
08-18-2009, 05:41 PM

The Steelers may have found another diamond in the rough in Woods. He could be a valuable back-up linebacker and is also good on special teams. I think the final roster spots for LB'ers will look something like this:

If god-forbid Harrison or Woodley were to get hurt, they should move Timmons to OLB and plug Fox or Woods in the middle

What about Bailey?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2009, 06:13 PM
What about Bailey?

They have Bailey at OLB. I think Woods makes it as the #4 ILB and it might be Frazier, Harrison Bailey at OLB. If they keep 9 LB's.

steelreserve
08-18-2009, 06:28 PM
a linebacker that can run like a safety and throw passes too!

lets just hope arians doesn't want to implement woods in the wildcat formation and have him throw passes ( and if he throws a pic.. single handedly tackle the defender force a fumble and recover the ball again )
:chuckle: :rolleyes:

No, man. They're going for something even better. Wildcat on DEFENSE.

Think about it. It's enough to blow your mind.

Steel Head
08-18-2009, 07:53 PM
What about Bailey?

yeah, i dont think Bailey makes the team. i think they'll go w 8 LBers.

Steel Head
08-18-2009, 07:54 PM

I'm more worried about OLB depth. We are fine at ILB with Fox and Woods as backups

tony hipchest
08-18-2009, 07:59 PM
kevin colbert has already said that if woodley or harrison are hurt, timmons moves into the position he was drafted for and fox takes his spot on the inside.

if the team was concerned they woulda taken a look at willie mcginnest already.

d. brooks isnt happenin.

we're set at lb. if we only carry 8, the 9th one cut will almost undoubtedly make some other teams 53 man roster (detroit and denver quickly come to mind- or even the patriots or packers).

Steel Head
08-18-2009, 08:07 PM
kevin colbert has already said that if woodley or harrison are hurt, timmons moves into the position he was drafted for and fox takes his spot on the inside..

That would be smart

Tempted not to say this for fear of getting bashed but I bet our D would be better off with Timmons and Harrison switching spots :jawdrop:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2009, 11:57 PM
That would be smart

Tempted not to say this for fear of getting bashed but I bet our D would be better off with Timmons and Harrison switching spots :jawdrop:

Yeah, I think Harrison has the best rip move of any pass rusher in the NFL. Timmons on the other hand has no real pass rush moves and gets his on blitzes.

Switching Harrison with Timmons would probably mean 8-10 fewer sacks per year.

SteelMember
08-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I think Harrison has the best rip move of any pass rusher in the NFL. Timmons on the other hand has no real pass rush moves and gets his on blitzes.

Switching Harrison with Timmons would probably mean 8-10 fewer sacks per year.

Yeah, that does sound better. :rolleyes:

Is it the rip move where he rides the blockers outside shoulder and swings his right arm in circles to leverage himself around the corner? Because that's my favorite.

Steel Head
08-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Woods looked pretty good again

Fox looked freakin awesome. They brought him in with the 1st team D and he stuffed Portis (i think it was Portis) on the 3rd and goal

We are set at MLB depth (which was a concern for some people)

mesaSteeler
08-23-2009, 02:26 PM

Good find Thanks for posting.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Yeah, that does sound better. :rolleyes:

Is it the rip move where he rides the blockers outside shoulder and swings his right arm in circles to leverage himself around the corner? Because that's my favorite.

Yeah....the tall guys try to "swim" over the OT, while the shorter guys try to get the OT's hands off them and dip the shoulder first to rip the arm thru and go by. "Dip n Rip" is Harrison's bread and butter.