PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Steelers need to go on offensive

mesaSteeler
08-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Notebook: Steelers need to go on offensive
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/08/19/sports/steelers/doc4a8b7b49399d9093484920.txt
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:15 AM EDT

Wanting to keep up with the Steelers’ defense, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger says it’s time for the offense to elevate its game.

For the past two years, the Steelers led the NFL in total defense. Last year, they led the league in nine statistical categories, including fewest points allowed.

Roethlisberger and wide receiver Santonio Holmes may have been the heroes for leading the comeback in Super Bowl XLIII but Roethlisberger wasn’t satisfied with how the offense fared during the regular season.

The Steelers ranked 23rd in rushing, 17th in passing and 20th in scoring.

“We need to improve as a total offense,” Roethlisberger said. “We need to set our goals higher and be better because we can’t just rely on our defense to win every game for us.”

MOORE IMPROVING

Running back Mewelde Moore, who hasn’t practiced since pulling a hamstring Aug. 4, worked out on a limited basis Tuesday afternoon.

For the first part of practice, he was in shoulder pads and helmet. But for team drills in the second half of practice, he ran on his own.

“Mewelde Moore is marching his way back,” Tomlin said. “He was able to participate in individual drills, and we’re just going to keep him moving forward. We like where he is.”

Moore, however, said he will not play in Saturday’s preseason game when the Steelers play the Redskins in Landover, Md.

In other injury news, DE Nick Eason left practice with a calf strain. TE Sean McHugh didn’t practice due to swelling in his knee.

PRACTICE ON RUG

For the first time since camp started, the Steelers had an afternoon practice on an artificial surface.

Before Tuesday, all afternoon workouts had been held on the three grass fields at St. Vincent College.

On occasion, the artificial turf field is used for morning practices.

“We got a little rain between sessions today,” Tomlin said. “While it wasn’t bad, we want to be able to use the (grass) the rest of the week. When we put the big men on the grass, they chew it up and then it would not be able to be used here the next few days. We just bit the bullet and worked on this field, which is an awesome field.”

mmalone
08-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Roethlisberger and wide receiver Santonio Holmes may have been the heroes for leading the comeback in Super Bowl XLIII but Roethlisberger wasn’t satisfied with how the offense fared during the regular season.

“We need to improve as a total offense,” Roethlisberger said. “We need to set our goals higher and be better because we can’t just rely on our defense to win every game for us.”.”

Are you allowed to post this stuff on this board, we won the super bowl...

were fine...... come on holmes and ben, im putting you on ignore...

Men of Steel
08-19-2009, 10:39 AM

cmooon bud... we cant be ignorant here. since ben came in the league he knows exactly what he is doing in regards to the team. And if he feels a concern for the offense to improve it is for a reason.

he does have a point, yes we did win the super bowl and yes the defense bailed us out of soo many situations last year... but that wont work forever! once in a while the offense must win a game for the team.

if u want the team to remain the same in regards to offensive performance, thats fine, but just imagine if the defense was ranked number one again... and the offense was in the top five!... ( who could stop us now!!!!! )

:tt03:

mmalone
08-19-2009, 10:57 AM
cmooon bud... we cant be ignorant here. since ben came in the league he knows exactly what he is doing in regards to the team. And if he feels a concern for the offense to improve it is for a reason.

he does have a point, yes we did win the super bowl and yes the defense bailed us out of soo many situations last year... but that wont work forever! once in a while the offense must win a game for the team.

if u want the team to remain the same in regards to offensive performance, thats fine, but just imagine if the defense was ranked number one again... and the offense was in the top five!... ( who could stop us now!!!!! )

:tt03:

my comment was total sarcasm dude, when i say were #23 on this board and we ride the defense.. everyone is on my A$$.. they say im a arians basher...

but when ben and holmes say it, now i feel like i have some local support...

Men of Steel
08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
my comment was total sarcasm dude, when i say were #23 on this board and we ride the defense.. everyone is on my A$$.. they say im a arians basher...

but when ben and holmes say it, now i feel like i have some local support...

aaa i gotchaa.... im all on the defensive right now because theres actually quite a few ppl that really DO think defense will always take care of us and that the offense need not lift a finger to survive.

glad ur not one of those ppl
cheers bud
:drink:

mmalone
08-19-2009, 11:07 AM
aaa i gotchaa.... im all on the defensive right now because theres actually quite a few ppl that really DO think defense will always take care of us and that the offense need not lift a finger to survive.

glad ur not one of those ppl
cheers bud
:drink:

no problem.. we need a sarcasm icon.

fansince'76
08-19-2009, 11:15 AM
my comment was total sarcasm dude, when i say were #23 on this board and we ride the defense.. everyone is on my A$$.. they say im a arians basher....

Gee, wonder why? :rolleyes:

if you do it BA's way. then arians should trade/cut the people that dont fit into his great #23 offensive warship. then find people that will work in his scheme.

before you folks keep blaming mendy, parker and moore, blame arians....

his play calling is not good.

Dont forget we still need to trade Arians for Grimm, then they can have the whole package....

why dont you tell me what is so great about arians. what great plays he calls, what strategies he has that lead the league in offense.. other than he won the SB.. we know that.

ben and the boys win the games and the SB...

maybe you could enlighten the arians bashers and make us change our minds about BC with the great knowledge of yours and of his Offensive Mastery.

im sure you wont.

Dixon in and Arians out we could do it... :-)

More Arians pop warner play calling..... its got to change, hopefully arians is coming to camp in mental shape this year, like the players have to come to camp in physical shape. Maybe arians was in an off season OC camp.. to build play calling techiniques..

vasteeler
08-19-2009, 11:16 AM
this one usually works pretty good :rolleyes:

mmalone
08-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Gee, wonder why? :rolleyes:

good one....

steelreserve
08-19-2009, 12:26 PM

Hey man, I trust the front office more than you.

Parker isn't one-dimensional, even Bettis couldn't run behind this line.

Don't bash the O-Line -- they were good enough to win the Super Bowl, weren't they?

Starks isn't overpaid; OBVIOUSLY the coaches see something we don't.

Obviously we're fine at such-and-such position; if the front office saw a problem, they would've done something.

I'm SO glad none of you are running this football team.

fansince'76
08-19-2009, 12:32 PM
And conversely:

Arians sucks, fire him! If I was OC, we'd score 80 points a game!

Bettis picked up a minimum of 8 yards every time he touched the ball - I mean look at all dem Lombardi Trophies we picked up between '96 and '04 as proof of that!

Arians sucks, fire him!

Don't dare assign any blame whatsoever to the OL for Ben getting sacked almost 50 times a year - it's all Willie's fault 'cause he sucks!

Arians sucks, fire him!

Colbert doesn't have a clue about what he's doing. Our drafts suck every year and we never get anyone worth shit!

Arians sucks, fire him!

The Rooneys are cheap and we suck because we never do anything during FA!

Oh, and did I mention Arians sucks and we should fire him?

steelreserve
08-19-2009, 12:46 PM
If I was the OC, we probably wouldn't score 80 points a game, but I can guarantee you it would be a lot more entertaining. Maybe in a Three Stooges kind of way, but entertaining nonetheless. When's the last time you saw back-to-back fleaflickers, or a nose tackle running the wildcat?

Yeah. You know you like it.

revefsreleets
08-19-2009, 12:47 PM
mmalone is proudly right at the top of my ignore list. I'm confident that by not reading his posts, I am quite literally missing NOTHING...

Anyway, back on task...if we can get above average play from the OL, we have the skilled players to be top 10 overall, and robably back in the top 5 rushing.

Preacher
08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
If I was the OC, we probably wouldn't score 80 points a game, but I can guarantee you it would be a lot more entertaining. Maybe in a Three Stooges kind of way, but entertaining nonetheless. When's the last time you saw back-to-back fleaflickers, or a nose tackle running the wildcat?

:chuckle:

Ok. That was a pretty funny response...

Look everyone.

The issue isn't that some of us think Arians is best OC in the world. It's that people seem to want to blame him for a lot of things, many of those things he has no control over. When you practice something, then the line doesn't execute it, who's fault is that? Fact of the matter is, when I watched the plays and broke them down, I started to see just how smart Arians plays were. We just need better execution.

That isn't to say Arians doesn't have his weak points. I think everyone here recognizes that Arians, along with ALL people have strengths and weaknesses. For Arians, I think setting a play up with another play is his weakness. However, what he has done for Ben and the passing game far outweighs that, IMO.

The same goes for Willie, Memo, Mendy, Ben, etc. etc. They ALL have strengths and weaknesses.

As far as teh FO is concerned. they too, have strengths and weaknesses. However, they are the best FO in the NFL, possible in any of the big four in North America. So my personal attitude about them is... We oughta shut up and take it when they do make a mistake, because we are the luckiest fanbase out there to have this FO.

mmalone
08-19-2009, 01:19 PM

you guys cant read????

i didnt bash anyone.. i am agreeing with what ben and holmes said...

read what he said...

“We need to improve as a total offense,” Roethlisberger said. “We need to set our goals higher and be better because we can’t just rely on our defense to win every game for us.”

you guys are twisting things up as usual.... especially slee boy...

he says were #23 i say that too.

hes says we need to get better... i say that too.

he says we cant let the defense win the games.. i say that too..

he wants higher goals set... i say they should too.

hes says because we won the SB doesnt mean our offense is that good.. i say that too.

when i say that im a arians basher....

so im stupid...??? he said in two paragraphs what ive been saying for a month.
but now im still stupid...

you guys kill me... you guys need to stick with a position and stay with it. you guys are a bunch of butt kissers...

and dont start twisting things up that im bashing the OL. i stick up for the players all the time, remember i bash arians not the team players.

thats my position.. your position seems to be whatever makes your other poster buddy look good. even if its the opposite position of what you say the day before..

scsteeler
08-19-2009, 01:28 PM
I am glad to hear that Ben wants the offense to improve that is how you plan to repeat what you did last year and that is becoming better. Also I think Arians is doing a good job as OC he like any other will not have the perfect game plan but I do like his ability to change during the game and as Preacher said a weakness may be him setting up plays by using something to take advantage of a defensive tendency.

The impact that some may not see is what effect does he have on the players! It seems that Ben, Santonio, and others on the offense like playing for him and Holmes even credits him for helping to mold him into the player he is so we can't ignore that fact.

Our Offense will be in the Top 10 this year if not the top 5.

mmalone
08-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Our Offense will be in the Top 10 this year if not the top 5.

i believe this too. ben and boys will do it.
and the schedule shows a bit less defense coming at us..

statistically we should gain hundreds of yards against the browns and we get them twice. they looked horrible the first game in pre-season.

Men of Steel
08-19-2009, 01:48 PM
aaaaah, the entertainment of the offseason.....

steelers fans hating on steelers fans.... :rolleyes:
im right your wrong... NO im right and YOUR wrong. :chuckle:

cmon ppl.. i know ur all bored and want the season to start already and in the meantime distract yourselves with these silly posts till then.... but get real.

after it was OUR team and not the cards hoisting the Lombardy Trophy, we were all "friends" haha. we're STILL basking in Super Bowl and World Championship GLORY.

cant we all just.... get along? :noidea:
:chuckle:

steelreserve
08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
The issue isn't that some of us think Arians is best OC in the world. It's that people seem to want to blame him for a lot of things, many of those things he has no control over. When you practice something, then the line doesn't execute it, who's fault is that? Fact of the matter is, when I watched the plays and broke them down, I started to see just how smart Arians plays were. We just need better execution.

That isn't to say Arians doesn't have his weak points. I think everyone here recognizes that Arians, along with ALL people have strengths and weaknesses. For Arians, I think setting a play up with another play is his weakness. However, what he has done for Ben and the passing game far outweighs that, IMO.

The same goes for Willie, Memo, Mendy, Ben, etc. etc. They ALL have strengths and weaknesses.

That's pretty much spot-on. I think what's the most frustrating to the fans about ANY player/coach, though, is when there's a problem that looks easily fixable but nothing is done about it. Arians probably generates a lot of those kinds of moments for some people, because the perception is that the OC can do whatever he wants with just a simple attitude adjustment. So he probably takes more heat than he deserves because of that.

The other component to it is just what you said -- EVEN THOUGH WE WON THE SUPER BOWL, no coach or player is perfect, and I think it's only natural to want to take advantage of any opportunity for improvement. Why do some people put Arians at the top of their list instead of Parker or the O-Line? Hell if I know. Why do some people like vanilla.

But once it's accepted that there's always going to be some baseline of background noise about "I don't like xxxxx", those kinds of threads come down to tone and being semi-informed. And for some reason, I think the Arians bashing arguments draw a lot of people who are good at neither and piss everyone off really quickly, thereby drowning out the people who have a point.

Is "Arians sucks" a debatable issue? Certainly. Is it debated very well here? Not even close. I guess the key to keeping your sanity is to not get worked up over the really stupid crap when people are obviously just winging it and trying to get by on bluster alone.

revefsreleets
08-19-2009, 02:58 PM
There is certainly room for improvement in nearly every facet of the Steelers game, top to bottom, from the FO to the coaches to the water boy...

But ignorant hate from people who lack even a rudimentary understanding of the game bothers me immensely...and I don't care WHAT team those fans cheer for...it doesn't make them exempt from some scrutiny. I'm sorry, I'm not going to EVER shut up about it, either...

steelreserve
08-19-2009, 04:26 PM
There is certainly room for improvement in nearly every facet of the Steelers game, top to bottom, from the FO to the coaches to the water boy...

But ignorant hate from people who lack even a rudimentary understanding of the game bothers me immensely...and I don't care WHAT team those fans cheer for...it doesn't make them exempt from some scrutiny. I'm sorry, I'm not going to EVER shut up about it, either...

I definitely get where you're coming from; not many things are more aggravating than that. For my own part, I've come to the conclusion that engaging the real idiots head-on is rarely worth the trouble, because the Internet is full of them and most of them never learn. I usually don't feel like doing anything besides lob a short passing insult at them unless I'm drunk (which is often). If dealing with them directly works for you, more power to you.

steel striker
08-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Well look at the injuries we had the last few years on the oline & rb. I think the offense is going to have a big year and, could you imagine if we put up 28-31 points a game the rest of the league wold be in deep trouble.

X-Terminator
08-20-2009, 12:56 AM
you guys cant read????

i didnt bash anyone.. i am agreeing with what ben and holmes said...

read what he said...

you guys are twisting things up as usual.... especially slee boy...

he says were #23 i say that too.

hes says we need to get better... i say that too.

he says we cant let the defense win the games.. i say that too..

he wants higher goals set... i say they should too.

hes says because we won the SB doesnt mean our offense is that good.. i say that too.

when i say that im a arians basher....

so im stupid...??? he said in two paragraphs what ive been saying for a month.
but now im still stupid...

you guys kill me... you guys need to stick with a position and stay with it. you guys are a bunch of butt kissers...

and dont start twisting things up that im bashing the OL. i stick up for the players all the time, remember i bash arians not the team players.

thats my position.. your position seems to be whatever makes your other poster buddy look good. even if its the opposite position of what you say the day before..

Yeah, but the problem, at least for me, is that that's ALL YOU EVER TALK ABOUT! I don't think I have ever seen you post about anything else, seriously. Arians and the offense sucks - we get it already! :banging: It's getting to the point where I'm about to put you in the same category as UFN the tool with his constant slurping over Mewelde Moore just because they went to the same school, and just "Officer Barbrady" every post you make. Somehow I don't think you want to be compared to him.

Anyway, the reason why you and the other constant complainers get bashed so much around here is because we'd rather see you think about the big picture, to consider every factor that goes into wins and losses and the success or failure of a team/unit, rather than be the typical, single-minded, "fire the coach/coordinator, bench the QB" kind of fan. That gets rather tedious, not to mention kills your credibility and won't get people to take anything you say seriously. I deal with enough of that mentality just by living here.

mmalone
08-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Yeah, but the problem, at least for me, is that that's ALL YOU EVER TALK ABOUT! I don't think I have ever seen you post about anything else, seriously. Arians and the offense sucks - we get it already! :banging: It's getting to the point where I'm about to put you in the same category as UFN the tool with his constant slurping over Mewelde Moore just because they went to the same school, and just "Officer Barbrady" every post you make. Somehow I don't think you want to be compared to him.

Anyway, the reason why you and the other constant complainers get bashed so much around here is because we'd rather see you think about the big picture, to consider every factor that goes into wins and losses and the success or failure of a team/unit, rather than be the typical, single-minded, "fire the coach/coordinator, bench the QB" kind of fan. That gets rather tedious, not to mention kills your credibility and won't get people to take anything you say seriously. I deal with enough of that mentality just by living here.

like i said im laying off arians... unless its just to easy to point it out. ok. ok.
like on the new arians post today....:wave:

SteelRNation
08-20-2009, 10:48 AM
If Mendenhall and Parker can stay healthy and Sweed develops to give Ben his big target he's been wanting, this offense will be improved immensely from last year. Its not like we need to go out and get some more players. We have the talent. Its gonna be fine. I wanna see what Wallace does because I think that guy can fly. Let him in to spread the field. Ben will have plenty of targets to score points.

mmalone
08-20-2009, 11:22 AM
If Mendenhall and Parker can stay healthy and Sweed develops to give Ben his big target he's been wanting, this offense will be improved immensely from last year. Its not like we need to go out and get some more players. We have the talent. Its gonna be fine. I wanna see what Wallace does because I think that guy can fly. Let him in to spread the field. Ben will have plenty of targets to score points.

cool..... heres a list of the top run defenses from last year and when we play them this year. our offense should have a bit more running room. the first 4 games should be a good barometer of the overall Offense... Until the playoffs.

1 Minnesota Vikings Game 7
2 Pittsburgh Steelers
3 Baltimore Ravens Game 11 Game 15
4 Philadelphia Eagles
5 Chicago Bears Game 2
6 Tennessee Titans Game 1
7 New York Jets
8 Washington Redskins
9 New York Giants
10 Miami Dolphins Game 16
11 San Diego Chargers Game 4
12 Dallas Cowboys
13 Jacksonville Jaguars
13 San Francisco 49ers
15 New England Patriots
16 Arizona Cardinals
17 New Orleans Saints
18 Seattle Seahawks
19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
20 Carolina Panthers
21 Cincinnati Bengals Game 3 Game 9
22 Buffalo Bills
23 Houston Texans
24 Indianapolis Colts
25 Atlanta Falcons
26 Green Bay Packers Game 14
27 Denver Broncos Game 8
28 Cleveland Browns Game 6 Game 13
29 St. Louis Rams
30 Kansas City Chiefs Game 10
31 Oakland Raiders Game 12
32 Detroit Lions Game 5

:tt:

steelreserve
08-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Parker is going to have a field day against the Bengals, Browns, Packers, Lions, and the AFC West. I hope they don't mistake that for a resurgence.