PDA

View Full Version : Lewis aiming for Pro Bowl as Steelers rookie

mesaSteeler
08-19-2009, 06:36 AM
[B]Lewis aiming for Pro Bowl as Steelers rookie[/B
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/08/19/sports/steelers/doc4a8b7a345f8fa550219632.txt
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:06 AM EDT

LATROBE -- Rookie cornerback Keenan Lewis is setting his goals high.

“Definitely (NFL Defensive) Rookie of the Year and I want to go to the Pro Bowl,” he said. “If I can’t do that, I fail.”

Strong words for a third-round draft pick who isn’t even a starter.

Lewis, who’s 6-foot and 208 pounds, is a big, physical corner who resembles Steelers veteran Ike Taylor in looks and style of play. Right now, Lewis is running with the third-team defense at training camp.

So why would he put his goals so high?

“I feel I’m ready,” he said. “I don’t know if I’ll have the opportunity to start (this year), but I feel I will have the opportunity to play. Special teams, anything. Hopefully, I’ll get in on defense.”

His personal goals aside, Lewis also says he wants to help the Steelers get back to and win another Super Bowl.

Last year’s NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year was linebacker Jared Mayo, who started 16 games for the New England Patriots.

HometownGal
08-19-2009, 06:42 AM
I like this kid's drive and 'tude, but his #1 focus right now should be making the team.

GBMelBlount
08-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Love the attitude. Now go and do it.....

mmalone
08-19-2009, 07:25 AM
he hit hard in the cardinals game, and had a nice FF on the one hit.. he makes the team.

he likes to hit.. this steelers fan likes his style..

Texasteel
08-19-2009, 07:34 AM
I've been very impressed with all this years draft pick, and UFA. I think we have found some real keeper.

The Lakelander
08-19-2009, 08:05 AM
He's going to have do all that and play on the special teams too. Gotta love this kid's passion!

Nadroj 20
08-19-2009, 08:38 AM
IMO in makes the team for sure and i like him setting his goals high...love his attitude he will be a good Steeler

Hotrodder07
08-19-2009, 08:53 AM
I like his attitude. Unfortunately, his goals are pretty unrealistic at this point, but nobody tell him that. Can't wait to see more of him.

pancake
08-19-2009, 08:57 AM
I hope he puts in the work. Anyone can say it, but not everyone will do what it takes to earn it...

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-19-2009, 09:40 AM
I like this kid's drive and 'tude, but his #1 focus right now should be making the team.

He will make the team and be fighting to be the #4 CB. He has all the skills and just needs to learn the speed of the NFL game.

Remembering that this is the final year of William Gay's contract...if Gay isnt extended they might be looking at either Lewis or Burnett as possible starters, opposite Ike in 2010.

Men of Steel
08-19-2009, 09:43 AM
lets let his actions speak for him... so far he is doing what he needs to do to make the team.

lets hope it continues

steelreserve
08-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Now how come people are happy this guy's setting his sights high, but whenever I say my goal is to become totalitarian dictator of the entire world, nobody congratulates me on having a positive attitude?

steelreserve
08-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Remembering that this is the final year of William Gay's contract...if Gay isnt extended they might be looking at either Lewis or Burnett as possible starters, opposite Ike in 2010.

It'll be an interesting situation to watch, since Taylor also only has two years left on his deal, and he'll be 31 at the end of it. If Gay really kicks ass this year, I wonder if they don't give him the big extension as Taylor's eventual replacement, and let Ike just play out his deal. That would also require one or both of the new guys to be solid, but looks like they've got a good start on that.

Who knows? My guess is a lot of it will depend on how much money everybody wants.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-19-2009, 12:26 PM
It'll be an interesting situation to watch, since Taylor also only has two years left on his deal, and he'll be 31 at the end of it. If Gay really kicks ass this year, I wonder if they don't give him the big extension as Taylor's eventual replacement, and let Ike just play out his deal. That would also require one or both of the new guys to be solid, but looks like they've got a good start on that.

Who knows? My guess is a lot of it will depend on how much money everybody wants.

Yeah, personally I think that Gay will get a decent contract from the Steelers and when Ike's contract is up there will be a nice core of guys in Lewis, Gay, Burnett in the CB rotation.

I was mocking that we would pick Donald Washington in the 3rd round at CB, only because I thought Keenan Lewis would be gone by then. Lewis is gonna be a solid CB. A less physical, but better cover corner than Ike Taylor ......with good hands.

Psyychoward86
08-19-2009, 12:28 PM
He should strive to do whatever it takes to do the most for the team first. There's team goals, then personal goals.

Galax Steeler
08-20-2009, 03:35 AM
Over the last two or three years we have been thin at the corner spot but it is starting to look good. Glad to see Lewis setting he goals up there and hopefully he can make a impact this year.

AllD
08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Hopefully he doesn't mimic Taylor's interception skills.