PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark

jjpro11
08-19-2009, 01:02 PM
has there been any updates on his contract? i'd absolutely hate to see him leave next year. he is a hell of a player. his stability at free safety allows Troy to roam and play like the superstar he is.

aside from that, he is probably the nicest player on the team. he signed autographs for over 2 hours yesterday both before and after practice. he joked with the fans, took pictures, gave his cleats and t-shirt away. i have never seen a player interact with the fans like that. now i am not going to compare players, because i have seen numerous players at camp be nice to the fan and others ignore them.. but Clark went above and beyond. i want to buy an authentic jersey of his, but i can't do it until he gets extended.

mmalone
08-19-2009, 01:11 PM
has there been any updates on his contract? i'd absolutely hate to see him leave next year. he is a hell of a player. his stability at free safety allows Troy to roam and play like the superstar he is.

aside from that, he is probably the nicest player on the team. he signed autographs for over 2 hours yesterday both before and after practice. he joked with the fans, took pictures, gave his cleats and t-shirt away. i have never seen a player interact with the fans like that. now i am not going to compare players, because i have seen numerous players at camp be nice to the fan and others ignore them.. but Clark went above and beyond. i want to buy an authentic jersey of his, but i can't do it until he gets extended.

Will lose others before we lose him.. cant say who because it may start a fight...

Clark stays..

Preacher
08-19-2009, 01:14 PM

that is great to hear. Reminds me of the story about Tyrone Carter who for some reason (maybe he was in a store and overheard it) decided to buy (was it 1?) playstation for some kid he just met. An on the spot thing. Anyone remember that story?

It is great to hear players who act human... It really must be hard for them (no sarcasm intended). With all the sycophants and idiots out there vying for some of his time/money, I don't know how they can stand to be around people at times.

Hotrodder07
08-19-2009, 01:27 PM
He's a terrific player and a big part of our defense. I'd hate to see him leave.

And it's good to see him interacting with the fans that much. It just shows that he's a good person, not just a good football player.

rich4eagle
08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Ryan Clark is a great player. Unfortunately, my experience says his career will be short because of the way he plays.

Steelers need to keep him but not overpay.

I trust the management to do what they have done for forty years.......be money smart

Preacher
08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Ryan Clark is a great player. Unfortunately, my experience says his career will be short because of the way he plays.

Steelers need to keep him but not overpay.

I trust the management to do what they have done for forty years.......be money smart

Bingo.

Decent salary, with some bonuses that he will get easily if he plays, but that they are not on the hook for if he doesn't.

Steel Head
08-19-2009, 01:44 PM
We can't keep everybody

I think I am a little hardened by how we lost pro-bowlers every year in the 90's. There is only so much money to go around

If we lose him we will find someone to replace him just like he replaced Chris Hope. I love Clark but overall Chris Hope is the better FS

ps - if they don't extend Clark, Keisel, Hampton or Reed's contracts that doesn't mean we will lose all of them to free agency. If the Steelers wan't to keep them, they will offer them a fair deal and then it's up to the player

steelreserve
08-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I don't see much difficulty in keeping him. We'll either give him some of Parker's money or some of Kiesel/Hampton's money, whoever leaves. For some reason, I don't get the feeling he'll ask for a diva contract.

That's the biggest "must" signing on the roster if you ask me. It doesn't sound like Mundy is developing into quite the star everyone hoped, so it's a position where there's not really a capable successor lined up for sure.

jjpro11
08-19-2009, 02:05 PM
i just remember hearing a week or so ago that a contract was nearly complete, and we haven't heard anything since. i don't know if it means they are not negotiating any more or what.

Clark and Reed are imo the most important to get resigned. i would include Hampton, but i think it will be unrealistic for us to resign him given his age and money he will most likely command. Keisel and Parker are replaceable.

The Lakelander
08-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Will lose others before we lose him.. cant say who because it may start a fight...

Clark stays..

I'll do it for you!

Mendenhall! http://emoticons4u.com/crazy/217.gif

lilyoder6
08-19-2009, 04:46 PM
i am suprised that he steelers even have enough money to think about giving him an extension...

the man is a good Fs for us.. hopefully come contract time.. he doesn't think he should be paid a gazzilion dollars...

we also have the franchise tag maybe 2 depending on how the cba goes

bradness113
08-19-2009, 05:09 PM
i heard, that if he doesnt get a contract before the season ends....hes NOT coming back...

he wants to stay tho...

pancake
08-19-2009, 05:13 PM
I think Jeff Reed should be next, but like another poster said, I will trust FO...

HometownGal
08-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Ryan Clark isn't going anywhere. I'm sure both sides are working to get a deal done ASAP. The Steelers don't want to lose him - bank it.

jjpro11
08-19-2009, 06:15 PM
what gets me is that it sounded like a deal was nearly done a week or so ago.. since then, we haven't heard a thing. did talks completely break off? are they ironing out details? what is going on? the fact that a deal was supposedly almost complete tells me that the Steelers have him in their plans for the future.

Preacher
08-19-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't see much difficulty in keeping him. We'll either give him some of Parker's money or some of Kiesel/Hampton's money, whoever leaves. For some reason, I don't get the feeling he'll ask for a diva contract.

That's the biggest "must" signing on the roster if you ask me. It doesn't sound like Mundy is developing into quite the star everyone hoped, so it's a position where there's not really a capable successor lined up for sure.

Exactly. If Mendy comes of age this year, I think its Parker's contract, unless Parker takes a Bettis type deal, and I doubt he will at this age. Maybe a Starks deal...middle of the road.

I think Kiesel's contract...least I think I read it, is almost done. So that leaves Hampton.

Between the two, Parker has younger talent backing him up at a (possibly) good talent level. Hampton has 1 good talent behind him in Hoke, but he is just as old.

Texasteel
08-19-2009, 07:02 PM
We have to sign Clark, we simply have to.
I thing the Steelers know what they have, and Clark knows what he has. A deal will get done.

Galax Steeler
08-20-2009, 03:39 AM
I don't think there is anything to worry about Clark will be high on there list to sign. Reed will be there with him to. We will be ok.

stlrtruck
08-20-2009, 07:22 AM
I like Clark. I think he understands the Steelers mentality. Knock em the eff out and ask questions later! But I trust the FO and I'm sure they'll keep the necessary players to make us successful.

SteelMember
08-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Where are we at on the cap so far???

We are not going to get everybody signed this offseason. Unfortunately a couple may have to wait until next year...if we plan on keeping them. I'm sure they're all looking for at least a 2-3 year deal, if not more. Like say Reed. I'd give that guy 5.

I'd love to keep 'em all, especially Clark, but there just isn't enough money left this year. I don't think so anyway. :noidea: At least we'll get the dead (Simmons) money off the table next year.

Venom
08-20-2009, 07:59 AM
I remember a few months ago , I was listening to ESPN radio here in New York City and Hines Ward was on. The host asked Hines whos the toughest player on the team . Hines said " Ryan Clark " . Thats my input on this subject.