PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget about Mewelde Moore in Steelers running back debate

mesaSteeler
08-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Don't forget about Mewelde Moore in Steelers running back debate
August 19, 3:46 PM · Daniel Flickinger - Pittsburgh Steelers Examiner
http://www.examiner.com/x-14024-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner~y2009m8d19-Dont-forget-about-Moore-in-Steelers-running-back-debate

Lost in the constant running back debate about whether Willie Parker will return next year, if Rashard Mendenhall will live up to his potential, and if this Isaac Redman guy is for real, is one Mewelde Moore.

Moore, if you remember, started four games last year and continued his strong pedigree of being a great pass catcher out of the backfield.

He shouldn’t be lost in the shuffle.

Parker is the unquestioned starter of the group but some love has to be given to Moore who played a big part in the running and passing game last season.

The four games Parker was out with an injury, Moore rushed for over 100 yards in one contest and nearly 100 in two others. He ended up with nearly 600 rushing yards for the season.

As Ben Roethlisberger’s body was being torn to shreds by opposing defenses last year, it was often that he would hit Moore on a quick pass out of the backfield or hit it up inside with a quick draw play on third down to move the sticks. His 40 catches last season were 38 more than Parker’s grand total of 2 receptions which was invaluable to Roethlisberger, who sometimes didn’t even have enough time to let his receivers run their routes before a defender was in his face. With no major changes in the offensive line personnel, that could stay the same this year.

That’s why the need for Moore in this offense is so prevalent.

After rushing for 120 yards and three touchdowns in a 38-10 week seven win over Cincinnatti last year, Roethlisberger was happy to see results from a guy that he knew could provide them.

"We got him to be our scat guy, a guy to catch passes, and that's what he's been doing." Roethlisberger said.

"And he's been doing a great job of running the ball. When we got him, I was excited because I knew what he could do. He's just kind of showing everybody what I've already known."

Moore also carries with him the experience factor. Entering his fifth year in the NFL, he has appeared in 70 games for both the Minnesota Vikings and the Steelers and has won a Super Bowl ring. He has not only been an effective third down back, but also can return kicks if needed.

Durability plays a part too.

He's been nursing an injured hamstring during training camp, but did you realize he’s appeared in all 16 games three times in his five year NFL career? Parker and Mendenhall’s injury history… well not so much.

If they can stay healthy and Moore can continue to be one of the best third-down backs in the league, the Steelers will have a very tough backfield to contend with.

Just another weapon in their arsenal.

Copyright 2009 Examiner.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Author
Daniel Flickinger is an Examiner from Pittsburgh. You can see Daniel's articles at: "http://www.Examiner.com/x-14024-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner"

tony hipchest
08-19-2009, 07:00 PM
the best thing i like about moore is he is most certainly a primetime player. i mean this literally.

if you look at his career with the vikings he always had his best games on monday or sunday night games in the national spotlight, or agains divisional or big name opponents (like the defending sb champion patriots).

this was seen last year against the bengals and on monday night football vs the ravens.

he always seems to rise to the occasion on the grandest of stages. had willie gone down in the superbowl i wouldnt have been too worried. in fact, i woulda been confident.

ANDYMISIU
08-19-2009, 07:22 PM
He's not lost, he's the 3rd down back.

NJarhead
08-19-2009, 07:36 PM
the best thing i like about moore is he is most certainly a primetime player. i mean this literally.

if you look at his career with the vikings he always had his best games on monday or sunday night games in the national spotlight, or agains divisional or big name opponents (like the defending sb champion patriots).

this was seen last year against the bengals and on monday night football vs the ravens.

he always seems to rise to the occasion on the grandest of stages. had willie gone down in the superbowl i wouldnt have been too worried. in fact, i woulda been confident.

Well said Tone. I credit his clutch play in helping us pull that first MNF Ravens game out of our ass.

revefsreleets
08-20-2009, 08:48 AM
He's an excellent 3rd down back, and I'm very glad we have him. The beautiful part of having Mendy/Parker is that if one of them gets hurt he can STAY in his primary 3rd down role and we don't have to risk him getting too many carries as the 1 and 2 down back.

Psyychoward86
08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
God bless us, we're so lucky to have a backfield like this :tt:

Dino 6 Rings
08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Oh God...count down til UFN gets here...5....4.....3....2....

UltimateFootballNetwork
08-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Oh God...count down til UFN gets here...5....4.....3....2....
You are about a day too late.

Dino 6 Rings
08-20-2009, 04:54 PM
You are about a day too late.

And your Skins still haven't scored so....