PDA

View Full Version : Redskins safeties coach Jackson: Landry's better than Polamalu

one side only
08-21-2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.washtimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/aug/19/jackson-landrys-better-than-polamalu/

"I'd take LaRon over [Polamalu], any day," Jackson said. "They would probably rather have Polamalu because he does do the things like a linebacker with the blitzing ... But when you watch him play true free safety, it's not even close in my humble opinion as far who the better safety is."

He's good, but he isn't a game-changer like Polamalu.

Ravnet
08-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Forget that trash, the Skins and their fans overrate Landry to an embarrassing degree.

I don't mean to be an ass, but they equate Landry's talent to Sean Taylor's in an attempt to fill that void, and Sean was significantly better than LaRon.

Hotrodder07
08-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Well, I'm not sure what the rest of you guys are thinking, but what do you expect the safeties coach for the Redskins to say? He has to say he believes his safety is the best in the league. He needs to show his players that he believes in them.

Now, if a reporter actually believes that Landry is better than Troy, then we can get on his case. But, in this situation, I'll let it go.

Ravnet
08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Well, I'm not sure what the rest of you guys are thinking, but what do you expect the safeties coach for the Redskins to say? He has to say he believes his safety is the best in the league. He needs to show his players that he believes in them.

Now, if a reporter actually believes that Landry is better than Troy, then we can get on his case. But, in this situation, I'll let it go.

"it's not even close"

Way overdone.

Men of Steel
08-21-2009, 04:49 PM
typical......:coffee:
they love to hate us.

truth is... they fear our D... ESPECIALLY... Troy :tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-21-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.washtimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/aug/19/jackson-landrys-better-than-polamalu/

"I'd take LaRon over [Polamalu], any day," Jackson said. "They would probably rather have Polamalu because he does do the things like a linebacker with the blitzing ... But when you watch him play true free safety, it's not even close in my humble opinion as far who the better safety is."

He's good, but he isn't a game-changer like Polamalu.

"But when you watch him play true free safety"

Troy Polamalu plays strong safety, his role in this defense is totally different from what Landry does in DC.

Also, when I think of LaRon Landry, I think of him getting absolutely trucked by Brandon Jacobs of the Giants.

Hapa
08-21-2009, 04:53 PM
That's because Polamalu is a god dam Strong Safety, why would he be playing a "true free safety"

fansince'76
08-21-2009, 05:11 PM
I think the fact that Jackson is even using Troy as a measuring stick for Landry in this way indicates who the better player is. Deep down I think Jackson knows it as well, which is probably why he even made a point of it to begin with. After all, I haven't seen any articles with Ray Horton proclaiming that Polamalu is better than Landry.

NJarhead
08-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I think the fact that Jackson is even using Troy as a measuring stick for Landry in this way indicates who the better player is. Deep down I think Jackson knows it as well, which is probably why he even made a point of it to begin with.

Bravo! Well stated.

I'd also like to add that FWP is probably better than Clinton Portis. But that's just me.

scsteeler
08-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Well if coached for the Washington that would be the politically correct thing to say. Of course he is going to say that.

steel-EERS
08-21-2009, 06:21 PM
laundry who?

BlastFurnace
08-21-2009, 06:38 PM
With that kind of evaluation of talent, I guess we can see why Washington never wins anything significant.

Kaeg
08-21-2009, 06:38 PM
AAAHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
That made my day!..........ok.......I'm better now..........

SteelerFanInATL
08-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Who cares what the coach says. Troy has what they both want. And he didn't get it by himself. Polamalu 2, Landry 0 (Super Bowl Victories)

HometownGal
08-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Jackson is pimping his guy which is what I would expect of any coach who has an above-average player on his roster. However, in the grand scheme of things - Troy is the better all around player hands down.

they equate Landry's talent to Sean Taylor's in an attempt to fill that void, and Sean was significantly better than LaRon.

Agreed.

Texasteel
08-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Jackson is pimping his guy which is what I would expect of any coach who has an above-average player on his roster. However, in the grand scheme of things - Troy is the better all around player hands down.

Agreed.

I believe that is exactly what is going on. I don't think that Jackson truly believes what he is saying himself.

steel striker
08-21-2009, 08:06 PM
I think Laundry is a pretty good player, but better than Troy? NOT A CHANCE! As mentioned Troy does so much more on the field plus a game changer as well. Has Laundry made a pick in the conference final or any playoff game? That's right I don't recall hearing his name mentioned with playoffs or super champions.

bigjamesharrison2
08-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Ha, good one...the only person who should be in the same conversation as Troy is Ed Reed, and even then Polamalu is better.

DoubleSh0t
08-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Stats aren't everything, but let's take a look for fun.

We'll look at only 2008, because 2007 Troy played less games, and Landry was a rookie.

Troy had 5 more INTs, 8 more tackles, 5 more solo tackles, 6 more pass deflections, while Landry had 0.5 sacks, Troy had 0.

Oh, and in Troy's second year? 5 INTs, 1 returned for a TD.

So who is the better safety again?

http://www.nfl.com/players/troypolamalu/careerstats?id=POL041872

http://www.nfl.com/players/laronlandry/careerstats?id=LAN165690

CargoJon
08-21-2009, 08:52 PM
If their safties coach doesn't know the difference between a strong safety and a free safety, Washington's secondary ought to be pretty effing laughable this year.

SteelCityMan786
08-21-2009, 09:04 PM
If their safties coach doesn't know the difference between a strong safety and a free safety, Washington's secondary ought to be pretty effing laughable this year.

That's what they have been for quite awhile.

7SteelGal43
08-21-2009, 09:40 PM
That reminds me...all my Steelers jerseys are offensive players. I need to change that starting with a Troy jersey. Then, I'ma go old school, get me a Lambert and Greene. OH YEAHHH :tt03: but after that, can't decide if i wanna get a Harrison or a Woodley.

The Definiti0n
08-21-2009, 09:52 PM
The Steelers have 2 safeties own their team thats are better than Landry. Jus ask Wes Welker and Willis McGahee.

Burghfan58
08-21-2009, 09:58 PM
:rofl::rofl::laughing::rofl::rofl::laughing::rofl: :rofl::laughing:

Steel-Bryan
08-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Also, when I think of LaRon Landry, I think of him getting absolutely trucked by Brandon Jacobs of the Giants.

LMFAOOO ! I thought i was the only person that saw that ! :sofunny: :sofunny:

Ravnet
08-22-2009, 03:18 AM
That's what they have been for quite awhile.

I'd disagree with that.

Although Washington as a team has probably been the most mediocre team in the league over the past decade, they've had DBs such as Fred Smooth, Champ Bailey, Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers, LaRon Landry, and DeAngelo Hall.

Their defensive backfield has been a strength on some pretty bad teams.

Galax Steeler
08-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Let him keep on talking we will see how far they get this year.:coffee:

Psyychoward86
08-22-2009, 01:16 PM

Yeah that's all very true. But still, I gotta say to the Redskins safety Coach: FAIL :chuckle:

Edman
08-22-2009, 04:23 PM
If the Safeties coach thinks Landry is better than Polamalu, more power to him...

If they played the same position. What a freaking dumbass. What is it with D.C that makes people around it dumb?

steel-EERS
08-23-2009, 08:11 AM
I didn't recall seeing "laundry" making any plays last night but you sure knew Troy was on the field, nearly intercepting a pass on the first play of the game. where was the great "Laundry"?