PDA

View Full Version : Preseason towel wars as Redskins host Steelers

mesaSteeler
08-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Preseason towel wars as Redskins host Steelers
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2009/aug/21/bc-fbn-steelers-redskins/?sports&nfl

Originally published August 21, 2009 at 4:29 p.m., updated August 21, 2009 at 5:37 p.m.

LANDOVER, Md. (AP) The Terrible Towels made for the most embarrassing scenes in recent Washington Redskins memory. Owner Dan Snyder is determined to avoid a repeat.

Thousands of Pittsburgh Steelers fans dominated the lower bowl of the Redskins stadium during the visitors' 23-6 win on a Monday night last season. Steelers players, realizing their unexpected home-crowd advantage, began waving their arms to encourage more cheers. The noise was such that the Redskins had to resort to a silent snap count in shotgun formation.

The view from the sideline below and from Snyder's 50-yard-line box above was discouraging: a sea of twirling yellow towels during a prime-time game on national television, no less.

"You see it. Believe me, you see it," receiver Antwaan Randle El recalled this week. "The last five minutes of the game, 'Wooo-hooo.'"

To counter another expected Steelers invasion Pittsburgh fans travel well, even in preseason the Redskins are distributing 50,000 "Redskins Rally towels" for Saturday night's rematch. The game will be an exhibition; the battle for towel supremacy in the seats will be real.

"I think it's great for fans," Redskins coach Jim Zorn said. "I think it's fun thatwe're doing the same thing. It's a preseason game, but you now what? We have great fans. Dan wants to continue to show his support and his enthusiasm for this team and this community. I think it's all in good fun. He's competitive; we're competitive. I don't know if there's going to be 'battles of the towels' or whatever, but it will be fun."

Of course, one difference is that the Redskins are having to resort to a giveaway to reclaim the atmosphere in their own stadium. Steelers fans have always had to buy their towels currently retailing for $7.99 with proceeds going to charity.

Told of the Redskins' plans, Steelers safety Ryan Clark who used to play for Washington said simply: "We're still going to beat them."

That's an unusual guarantee for a preseason game, and one that's likely to be forgotten once all the starters have been removed. Both teams are expected to have their first-stringers on the field for more or less a quarter.

Besides, for the Redskins, merely scoring would be an improvement from last week, when they were shut out 23-0 by the Baltimore Ravens.

"A lot of mistakes. We've got to cut that out," said running back Clinton Portis, who will make his preseason debut after sitting out last week. "It is really not the points of course, we need to score more points and we want to come out of these games with wins but at the same time we can't have penalties, we can't have mental lapses. We need to get rid of that."

The Steelers, coming off a 20-10 win over the Arizona Cardinals, are expected to play without Ben Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger has a foot ailment he got stepped on by a lineman at training camp this week but the injury isn't thought to be serious, and he did travel with the team to Washington.

Much of the game's emphasis will be on the usual jostling for roster spots. Both coaches want to see more from the backups, especially the rookies who looked overwhelmed in their NFL debuts last week.

"We need to play harder, we need to play faster, we need to play smarter," Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin said. "We expect those guys to have adjusted to the tempo of the game, they know what to expect and, to be quite honest, we expect the quality of the detail of their work to vastly improve."

At least the fans should be in regular-season form, with all that towel-waving going on.

"Burgundy towels are a great idea," Randle El said. "But the bottom line is we've got to play on the field."

(As if some redskin rag can compare witth the Terrible Towel. - mesa)

RoethlisBURGHer
08-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Wow, so many teams do this and FAIL MISERABLY!

Nothing beats the Terrible Towel!

DOWN WITH THE FORESKINS!

MasterOfPuppets
08-21-2009, 07:22 PM
"I think it's great for fans," Redskins coach Jim Zorn said. "I think it's fun thatwe're doing the same thing. i think its pretty pathetic that they can't come up with something original.:coffee:

Kaeg
08-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Everybody wants to rip off the towel! And since they're giving 50,000 of them away for free, they may actually have a chance of winning the "towel battle."

hindes204
08-21-2009, 07:26 PM
there can be only one..................................THE TERRIBLE TOWEL

alittlejazzbird
08-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Often imitated, never duplicated. Poor pretenders.

steeltheone
08-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Yes, please try to be some what original...What a joke..

Hotrodder07
08-21-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm tired of these other teams passing out towels. I'd like to see how many redskins towels would be there if they had to buy theirs.

Come up with your own thing. Stop trying to rip the terrible towel.

Nighthawk
08-21-2009, 08:49 PM
I honestly don't mind the fact teams are trying to duplicate the terrible towel idea, but at least put some meaning behind it. I think the fact there is no real meaning behind it is the reason why all the other teams generally fail in comparison. Find a charity, create some value and it may stick... At least then I wouldn't mind seeing them knowing its going for a good cause - otherwise its just pathetic.

slippy
08-22-2009, 12:26 AM
i wonder if the red towels come with instructions on how to use them.

BlockMonsta
08-22-2009, 12:27 AM
I am a bit out of the loop, just got my TV and net hooked up a few days back. With Big Ben hurt, who is going to start DD or CB? I want to see Dixon going vs the starters.

MasterOfPuppets
08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
The rally towels that they gave out at the Giants game last year were red and everybody used them to wipe the water off their seat and then they were thrown on the ground. I picked up like 6 on the way out. It is funny that they are handing them out the week we play the steelers, so we can look like *6. Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filters.* for taking their idea right in front of them.

Yeah, they gave out burgundy ones at the Giants game. It rained the entire game and everything i brought with me turned burgundy.
:laughing:

How about the team just get out there and play some football and score maybe a TD or two. How long has it been since we last saw Jason Campbell throw a TD?
Towels mean nothing and makes the Redskin fans in the stadium look pretty foolish, trying to out towel the Steeler fans. Especially when they out number you 3-1, in your own stadium.
:tt03:

Wouldn't it be a better idea to give out something that makes noise? Like someone suggested, a small plastic bottle w/ little marbles? Or little triangles? Or something to beat on, like little drums? All w/ B&G of course. I guess it would just be to complicated.
:toofunny:

The burgandy towels bled everywhere

I know, dude, my wife put them in the wash and it wrecked her curtains.
:rofl:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=295386&page=3

SteelersinCA
08-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Told of the Redskins' plans, Steelers safety Ryan Clark — who used to play for Washington — said simply: "We're still going to beat them."

Have a nice day :toofunny:

Galax Steeler
08-22-2009, 07:37 AM
I think it is funny how teams try to find a way to out do the Terrible Towel. It will be a flop just like when the Titans tried it.

HometownGal
08-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Copycats. :rolleyes: Doesn't matter how many of those towels the Skins hand out to their fans - the Steelers faithful will drown 'em out and Patty Cake Snyder will be embarrassed once again. :tt02:

Texasteel
08-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Copycats. :rolleyes: Doesn't matter how many of those towels the Skins hand out to their fans - the Steelers faithful will drown 'em out and Patty Cake Snyder will be embarrassed once again. :tt02:

He should be use to it by now!

stillers4me
08-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Other teams fans can wave all the meaningless towels they want. They don't get it. When you see a Steelers fan walking into the stadium with a Terrible Towel hanging on the waist of their jeans, it's like a warrior going in to battle with his arrows slung over his shoulder. And you can bet our guys look into the stands to see the sea of gold waving proudly and loudly, each and every game, home or on the road. Terrible Towels are waving in every Steelers bar in the world in proud unison with the team and fans in the stadium. (Mine even gets waved when I'm watching the game at home!)

Other teams have to give towels out for free. Steelers fans gladly fork out a few bucks for a worthy cause and a worthy team. They are momentos of a rich a proud history.

Terrible Towels have heart. You can't pass that out before the game.

Texasteel
08-22-2009, 08:23 AM
It's not just our own players that see it. I can tell you that the cowboys and their fans hate it when the walk into their own stadium and see all the gold towels waving.

AllD
08-22-2009, 09:02 AM
For Redskins fans, the towel should come with soap.

Pittsky
08-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Other teams fans can wave all the meaningless towels they want. They don't get it. When you see a Steelers fan walking into the stadium with a Terrible Towel hanging on the waist of their jeans, it's like a warrior going in to battle with his arrows slung over his shoulder. And you can bet our guys look into the stands to see the sea of gold waving proudly and loudly, each and every game, home or on the road. Terrible Towels are waving in every Steelers bar in the world in proud unison with the team and fans in the stadium. (Mine even gets waved when I'm watching the game at home!)

Other teams have to give towels out for free. Steelers fans gladly fork out a few bucks for a worthy cause and a worthy team. They are momentos of a rich a proud history.

Terrible Towels have heart. You can't pass that out before the game.

Nicely said... :thumbsup:

Fire Haley
08-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Amateurs. I bet they will be smacking themselves in the face with them.

stlrtruck
08-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Here's the funny part, they were handing them out to the first 50,000 through the gates and it didn't matter if you had on Steelers gear or skins gear.

If you're trying to conquer the invading fans wouldn't you tell your people not to hand them out to the Steelers fans?

So in the mean time I got one for my uncle and one for another skins fan. And oh yeah, those were two towels that didn't get waved tonight (along with the others that Steelers fans received when coming in the gate)

But they do a good job of drying off 4 year olds. I'm just saying!

SteelersMongol
08-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Just let em do what they want. I mean their towels didn't cost our pennies so they can give away anything they want.

SteelersMongol
08-23-2009, 09:26 AM
BTW, does anybody have the pic of their towels?

steel-EERS
08-23-2009, 09:35 AM
another pathetic ploy by a lesser nfl team, when the lights come on for real that white hand towl ain't gonna save the redscums! this is the resskin superbowl, it's all down hill from here on for em!

stlrtruck
08-23-2009, 11:41 AM
It's just a white towel (cheap) with the words WASHINGTON - the team logo - REDSKINS 2009.

It's cheap and chimzy just like good ole Danny Boy!

NJarhead
08-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Amateurs. I bet they will be smacking themselves in the face with them.

:laughing: THEY WERE!! They had no idea how to twirl their lil' towel. They were getting all twisted; one broad tried to "untwist" hers for the camera, but it was taking too long and the camera didn't wait. :rofl:

Posers.