Shoes
08-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Any news on his injury?

fansince'76
08-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Haven't heard - hope his being pulled was just a precautionary measure. :hope:

spyboots
08-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Haven't heard anything new on Dixon or Kemo yet.

Hotrodder07
08-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Haven't heard anything here, either. I'm praying that he's fine. He looks like a better QB than Batch, in my opinion.

tony hipchest
08-22-2009, 11:23 PM
shoulda signed vick. :rolleyes:

kmsteelerwr15
08-22-2009, 11:26 PM

well theres always Tavaris Jackson :wink02:

Fire Haley
08-22-2009, 11:34 PM
I just hope it's a bruise and not something like an AC joint injury on his throwing shoulder

ricksteelers55
08-22-2009, 11:54 PM
well theres always Tavaris Jackson :wink02:

Who knows,with his latest performances and the play of Luke McCown,maybe Byron Leftwich will be available at the end of the preseason week 4.

Id take him in a heartbeat.

Fire Haley
08-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Wexell on twitter says Kemo has a rib injury

Fire Haley
08-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Crap!

“I don’t have the report at this point,” said Tomlin of Dixon. “It looks like an AC joint. We’ll see.”

http://2009.steelers.com/article/108635/

The Lakelander
08-23-2009, 03:24 AM
It depends on the grade of it ... let's hope it's mild.

sharkweek
08-23-2009, 04:53 AM
Yeah, depending on how severe it is, it might not be a big deal; Ben had something similar (if it is a separate shoulder) last season and it didn't stop a Superbowl run :wink02:

Also, as a back up he would be able to nurse the injury better than a starter asked to push through it and risk making it worse. Although at the same time its a shame for a young player to get injurred like this and perhaps hamper his development, IMO Dixon has shown great potential not only as a backup QB but also as a very interesting prospect in gadget plays and perhaps certain other situational circumstances that might benefit from his athleticism.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Here is a list of free agent QB's just in case (and I investigated to see if each was actually still a FA, since the list was a little outdated):

Bruce Eugene RFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Gus Frerotte UFA Minnesota Vikings
Darrell Hackney UFA Denver Broncos
Drew Henson RFA Detroit Lions
Brad Johnson UFA Dallas Cowboys
Jamie Martin UFA San Francisco 49ers
Anthony Wright UFA New York Giants

Slim pickings, especially with the UFL signing many viable options.

tony hipchest
08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
wow. pardon my french, but those back-ups fukkin SUCK.

hers hoping we dont need one (or leftwich gets released).

ricksteelers55
08-23-2009, 04:18 PM
I doubt that the TB Bucs will keep 4 QB in their roster and it's between:

QB Josh Freeman(1st round pick no brainer he's stayin)
QB Luke McCown
QB Byron Leftwich
QB Josh Johnson

I think that it's going to be either Lefty or Johnson as McCown signed a new contract before the offseason and has something like 2.5 guaranteed while Byron's contract has no guaranteed money which make him a possible choice.

Josh Johnson meanwhile was considered as a project but with the arrival of Freeman he could be the odd man out.

either way I think if Dennis Dixon's injury is serious,both could be good additions.

Johnson is another athletic QB like Dixon and could be a decent number 3 QB.

Of course I dont have to add anything for Byron...we all know what he's capable of

stillers4me
08-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I think that it's going to be either Lefty or Johnson as McCown signed a new contract before the offseason and has something like 2.5 guaranteed while Byron's contract has no guaranteed money which make him a possible choice.

Doesn't that mean they don't lose a dime if they cut Byron? They aren't going to cut their first round draft pick, anyway.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-23-2009, 04:53 PM
It's pretty obvious Johnson is going to get cut with the depth chart then being
1. Leftwich
2. McCown
3. Freeman

NV STEELERS 723
08-23-2009, 07:24 PM

Bite your tongue Tony !

Fire Haley
08-23-2009, 07:31 PM
I doubt that the TB Bucs will keep 4 QB in their roster

Looks like it's going down to the wire

Buccaneers | QB competition could be extended

Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:36:44 -0700

Jim Flynn, of PewterReport.com, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris said Sunday, Aug. 23, he believes the team's quarterback competition has been so tight that he and the team are giving serious consideration to extending the battle through Thursday, Aug. 27.

rich4eagle
08-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Dixon is fine .......no prob the
Steelers have two good backups

the prob is who else has a guy who makes it happen big time in big time..........

Ben is the best in the NFL for doing that

The Lakelander
08-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Say, isn't Kordell still in great shape?

Galax Steeler
08-24-2009, 05:28 AM

We shouldn't even be thinking like that.:chuckle:

SteelMember
08-24-2009, 10:52 AM

That's even worse then the vick comment...which I know was a joke.

and btw, if suck a$$ is a shape, then yes.

:chuckle:

Indo
08-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Dixon's Injury is all Arians' fault!

Rotorhead
08-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Why would anyone even mention Krydell?

Psyychoward86
08-24-2009, 01:01 PM
I miss Kordell :crying01:

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
No news is good news at this point.

We'll hear more tomorrow in the presser if nothing bad comes out today.

steelreserve
08-24-2009, 01:38 PM
We shouldn't even be thinking like that.:chuckle:

No, it's when we start wondering if Maddox is still around that I'll get worried.

The_WARDen
08-24-2009, 01:41 PM
oh well, it's only the backup clipboard holder....could care less.

MasterOfPuppets
08-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Dennis Dixon has a separated shoulder
Posted by Mike Florio on August 23, 2009 1:56 PM ET
Ben Roethlisberger isn't the only injured quarterback in Pittsburgh.

On Saturday night, backup Dennis Dixon was dinged up during Saturday night's preseason game against the Redskins.

Coach Mike Tomlin called Dixon's condition an "injury to the AC joint," which is the "glass-half-full" way of describing a separated shoulder.

The degree of the separation isn't known. As Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette points out, Roethlisberger suffered the same injury last year, but he missed no games.

The Dixon injury leaves the Steelers will only two healthy quarterbacks, for now -- Charlie Batch and Mike Reilly.

Some believe that Dixon could become the No. 2 man on the depth chart this year, possibly prompting the Steelers to sever ties with Batch, who missed all of the 2008 season with a broken collarbone.

Tomlin wouldn't say after the game whether Roethlisberger will return to practice on Monday. He suffered an Achilles' tendon injury on Thursday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/23/dennis-dixon-has-a-separated-shoulder/

steelreserve
08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
The Dixon injury leaves the Steelers will only two healthy quarterbacks, for now -- Charlie Batch and Mike Reilly.

Some believe that Dixon could become the No. 2 man on the depth chart this year, possibly prompting the Steelers to sever ties with Batch, who missed all of the 2008 season with a broken collarbone.

Maybe this is karma's way of telling us we need to hang on to Batch for one more year.

MasterOfPuppets
08-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Separated Shoulder Will Be Costly for Dennis Dixon

Posted Aug 23, 2009 10:56PM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

Dennis Dixon's preseason is likely over after he suffered a dislocation of his throwing shoulder in Saturday's loss to the Redskins.

Since he's the Steelers' No. 3 quarterback, it's hard to say that this is a crushing blow for Pittsburgh, but it is disappointing from a development standpoint. It eliminates any chance Dixon had of really pushing Charlie Batch for the backup job, but more than that, it will cost Dixon lots of snaps that would help him be ready to take over as the team's No. 2 next year.When Ben Roethlisberger misses a preseason game like he did with an Achilles injury, it's no big deal as long as he's healthy for the opener. But Dixon's injury will likely cut in half the number of in-game snaps he'll get this year.

Once the season begins, Ben Roethlisberger gets almost all the snaps in practice while Batch will get the few that don't go to Roethlisberger. No. 3 quarterbacks get to run the scout team. But with Roethlisberger recovering from an Achilles injury, Dixon would have been assured of plenty of snaps next week and probably a full half of action during the final preseason game. Instead, Batch and fourth-stringer Mike Reilly will get more playing time -- which considering Batch is a 11-year vet and Reilly is a likely practice-squader, are all snaps that would be best spent on Dixon.

Now Steelers' fans can't complain too much -- no Eagles fan would trade a Dixon injury for the laundry list of bumps and bruises that have ruined Philadelphia's training camp -- but it is frustrating to see Dixon's relatively promising preseason end early.
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/23/separated-shoulder-will-be-costly-for-dennis-dixon/

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Florio? Fanhouse?

Get that garbage out of here.

His preseason is over? What the hell is Fanhouse?

More blog crap by some reporter that doesn't know crap.

We won't know anything till the team releases new informantion.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-24-2009, 03:39 PM
From the last game, I would say that Reilly is a viable number 3 at this point. If Ben or Charlie get injured, then we can go into panic mode.

HometownGal
08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
From the last game, I would say that Reilly is a viable number 3 at this point. If Ben or Charlie get injured, then we can go into panic mode.

I'll go into panic mode if BEN is injured. :horror: Though last year I wasn't a happy camper when Ben got hurt, I didn't go into panic mode when Leftwich came in. Can't say the same this season in light of Dix's shoulder injury. I'm praying Tomlin has better news for us about Dixon and that it is a first degree separation. :hope:

one side only
08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Florio? Fanhouse?

Get that garbage out of here.

His preseason is over? What the hell is Fanhouse?

More blog crap by some reporter that doesn't know crap.

We won't know anything till the team releases new informantion.

What was said in either the PFT or Fanhouse articles that was so controversial? If the injury is similar to Ben's AC joint injury, as Tomlin seemed to indicate, he very well may not take another pre-season snap. While Ben missed no games, his injury occured in the regular season and Batch was on I/R. The prudent thing to do in Dixon's case is to give the injury time to heal.

Given he misses some time, it will set Dixon back.

kprst6
08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
He's a running QB anyways so he doesn't need a shoulder to be "successful"

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 04:33 PM
What was said in either the PFT or Fanhouse articles that was so controversial? .

Why are they saying anything at all when they don't know anything?

Who says his preseason is over? Did Tomlin say that?

More bullcrap passed off as "reporting". It's junk.

T Bradshaw
08-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Dixon is too skinny to play in the NFL

steelreserve
08-24-2009, 04:45 PM
What was said in either the PFT or Fanhouse articles that was so controversial?

I think it's mainly because it was PFT or Fanhouse that it's controversial. They could run a story saying the sky is blue, and some people around here would still bitch that it's unreliable and they have terrible journalistic standards.

Having said that, all anyone can do about Dixon's injury is speculate, since there's basically no new information about it. The reporters are just guessing about it like anyone else, and they're probably just publishing the story to keep people interested in it. Some people take exception to that. I don't really see the harm in it as long as you know what to take seriously and what to take with a grain of salt.

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 04:51 PM
And some people take every piece of crap that's written as gospel and lap it up like ignorant titsticks then pass it off as fact.

sharkweek
08-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, definitely no need to panic, Dixon has been more impressive (to me at least) than Batch this preseason, if they think its best to give him time to heal up if and not risk making it worse then so be it. The only thing I would miss is actually getting a chance to see him play.

And who knows, with the easier schedule this season they may get some chances to bring him in late in the game when they already have it well in hand.

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 04:54 PM
I'd say no news is good news at this point.

We'll hear more tomorrow in the presser if nothing bad comes out today.

steelreserve
08-24-2009, 05:27 PM
And some people take every piece of crap that's written as gospel and lap it up like ignorant titsticks then pass it off as fact.

Well, yes, there's that too. But that's the Internet for you.

T Bradshaw
08-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Dixon was a wasted draft pick

BlastFurnace
08-24-2009, 05:36 PM
I admit, Dixon has really surprised me as to how well he has played.

I hated the pick when we made it, but he has played pretty darned good.

I'm glad we have him. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

steeltheone
08-24-2009, 07:17 PM
I was not thrilled with the pick either. He has impressed me. Good luck DD

sharkweek
08-24-2009, 08:46 PM

A solid QB and well rounded athlete vs. a potential bust / bum in some other irrelevant position?

Face it, he was the best talent available on the board that slipped as far as he did because of his injury. Sure its a gamble, and a gamble on a position we don't need, but that late in the draft most picks end up garbage and you're lucky to get anything from those guys. Some guys even slip out of the draft to become undrafted free agents like Willie Parker...plus the fact that we didn't need him as a starting QB meant his risks could be minimized as we developed him (ie recover from injury, toughen up, learn the ropes of NFL football).

And honestly, from the way he's developing in a positive manner, he'll either be our very good backup QB/gadget guy (not a bad thing with Batch seemingly close to retirement) and/or we'll get amazing trade value for him.

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Wexell on twitter:

"Sorry, no news on Dixon today, but he was spotted without a brace or sling."

MasterOfPuppets
08-24-2009, 11:48 PM
compared too ? ...gay,haggans, tuman,and haynes are the only 5th rounders that were actually worth a shit in the last 10 years .

Jason Simmons
Malcolm Johnson
Tee Martin
Chukky Okabi
Brian St. Pierre
Nathaniel Adibi
Rian Wallace
Omar Jacobs
Charles Davis
Cameron Stephenson

mesaSteeler
08-25-2009, 12:15 AM
QB Dixon could miss two weeks for Steelers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_639857.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Steelers will be short-handed at quarterback when they resume practice today at their South Side facility. No. 3 quarterback Dennis Dixon sustained a mild separation of the A/C joint in his right shoulder in the Steelers' 17-13 loss to the Redskins last Saturday. While the injury is not serious Dixon could miss up to the next two weeks of practice.

Starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger may also miss practice time as he is nursing a right foot injury. Roethlisberger got hurt during the final practice of training camp last week, and the Steelers held him out of the Redskins game as a precaution.

The injuries to Roethlisberger and Dixon leave Charlie Batch and rookie Mike Reilly, an undrafted free agent, as the only healthy quarterbacks on the roster.

While Stefan Logan excelled as a kickoff and punt returner last Saturday night, wide receiver Shaun McDonald remains hopeful that he'll get a chance to show the coaches what he can do returning punts.

"We haven't talked about who's going this week (against the Bills)," said the sixth-year veteran, who has returned punts for the Rams and Lions. "That will probably happen a couple days from now, so hopefully I get back there."

McDonald has made a good impression as a receiver during the preseason. He leads the Steelers in both receptions (nine) and receiving yards (82) through two exhibition games and said he is comfortable lining up anywhere as a wideout even though his size makes the 5-10, 183-pounder ideal for the slot.

"Throughout my career, being that I've been playing with guys on the outside, I've been in the slot a lot, so I've been doing a lot of underneath stuff, and that's where I've gotten most of my catches in the league," McDonald said. "But I think I can do it all."

DIGITS

20 Times the Steelers have been penalized in two preseason games.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Preacher
08-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Ok. I think I see the 5 receivers now.... The top 4 are pretty easily spotted... and I think McDonald is the fifth. He will be there to also help back up punt returns and kicks. Dang. That means that we are 3 or 4 deep in that department with Logan (provided he makes the cut) McDonald, Wallace (whom I think will definitely make the cut) and Holmes when a spark is necessary.

Sad to hear about Dixon. I really like the kid. Hopefully he can get healed and get ready to be the number two next year.

sharkweek
08-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Meh, its only two weeks, and the way its worded "could miss up to the next two weeks" implies he might even come back sooner. All in all I think they're just being cautious while they have the luxury to do so. This isn't like when Ben played through a similar injury last season.

I don't think he really needed too much more work anyways, the biggest problem this presents is that they'll be short handed at QB for practices and the final preseason games with Ben apparently still nursing the foot with caution (and rightfully so). Although two good things will come of this as both Batch and Reilly will probably see far more play time to warm up and we'll probably focus far more on getting the ground game going. I guess the bad thing is that with less passing, if the WRs aren't essentially already set, we'll have less chance to have anyone step up and show he deserves to be 4th or 5th (we know Ward and Holmes are in, and I think most would agree Sweed is definitely #3)

steelreserve
08-25-2009, 02:00 AM
Well, we're losing QBs at a rate of one per week. By the season opener, we'll probably be trying to sign Jared Zabransky back from Edmonton.

steelreserve
08-25-2009, 02:05 AM
A solid QB and well rounded athlete vs. a potential bust / bum in some other irrelevant position?

Yea dude, we should've taken another TE so we could unveil our fearsome new six-tight-end package this year.

Preacher
08-25-2009, 04:17 AM
Well, we're losing QBs at a rate of one per week. By the season opener, we'll probably be trying to sign Jared Zabransky back from Edmonton.

Thank goodness Vick is already signed... could you imagine the uproar! :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
08-25-2009, 04:41 AM
Thank goodness Vick is already signed... could you imagine the uproar! :chuckle:

It would definetly be another Vick thread.:laughing:

Fire Haley
08-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Now for some REAL news

-------------------------------------------------------------

It's only a mild separation ...

Steelers | Dixon could miss up to two weeks

Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:25:45 -0700

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Dennis Dixon (shoulder) could miss up to the next two weeks of practice after sustaining a mild separation of the A/C joint in his right shoulder Saturday, Aug. 22.

HometownGal
08-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Now for some REAL news

-------------------------------------------------------------

It's only a mild separation ...

Steelers | Dixon could miss up to two weeks

Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:25:45 -0700

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Dennis Dixon (shoulder) could miss up to the next two weeks of practice after sustaining a mild separation of the A/C joint in his right shoulder Saturday, Aug. 22.

Thank God!!! I was so worried that it might be a third degree sep and he would miss most of the season but not so! Great news! :applaudit:

Can't wait to have you back Dix! :tt03:

Texasteel
08-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Thank God!!! I was so worried that it might be a third degree sep and he would miss most of the season but not so! Great news! :applaudit:

Can't wait to have you back Dix! :tt03:

Dixon has gone from me thinking," Why did we pick him?" to " Man, I hope he's not out too long."

SteelMember
08-25-2009, 08:20 AM
He's a running QB anyways so he doesn't need a shoulder to be "successful"
I disagree. The man delivers the ball.

and btw, did anyone notice that long scamble he had vs the skins? He held the ball out LIKE vick. That is not a good thing. The best part of it all, besides the yardage, was his slide.

Dixon is too skinny to play in the NFL

and some are too short. :noidea: There's no point to that statement.

2 people have answered this already, so I won't.

I thought Dixon's 1st game was much better then his 2nd. He didn't look like he was in his rhythm, and was missing on passes he usually makes. He is progressing, but imo he is still the 3rd string QB...for now. He has 2 more games to make his case. And it will not be because of gadgets.

Wallace on the reverse may be the only "gadget" we will see this year.

mmalone
08-25-2009, 08:52 AM
he is a great young QB, he has the complete opposite stature of Ben.

He is a Randall Cunningham type player.
Can the Steeler Fans take that kind of player??

HometownGal
08-25-2009, 09:26 AM

This Steelers fan says "HELL YEAH". :tt03:

KeiselPower99
08-25-2009, 09:59 AM
compared too ? ...gay,haggans, tuman,and haynes are the only 5th rounders that were actually worth a shit in the last 10 years .

Jason Simmons
Malcolm Johnson
Tee Martin
Chukky Okabi
Brian St. Pierre
Nathaniel Adibi
Rian Wallace
Omar Jacobs
Charles Davis
Cameron Stephenson

Aww the wasted picks. Memories of Steeler fans telling each other how great guys like Omar Jacobs and Tee Martin were gonna be. Adibi was the next great OLB. At least Simmons is still playing.

scsteeler
08-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Aww the wasted picks. Memories of Steeler fans telling each other how great guys like Omar Jacobs and Tee Martin were gonna be. Adibi was the next great OLB. At least Simmons is still playing.

Dixon if you watch him play has been making good QB decisions with his reads and arm not his legs as so many want to make him out to be. He does have the ability to run the ball which makes everyone want to lean towards this dimension first. Unlike the other guys you mentioned Omar Jacobs & Tee Martin this guy will have time to develop under Tomlin's reign. Ben is the QB and will be for a while and Dixon from what I have seen will be a good for the Steeler's in the future.

BlastFurnace
08-25-2009, 10:58 AM
he is a great young QB, he has the complete opposite stature of Ben.

We'll like any player that delivers results. Dixon seems like that type of player.

mmalone
08-25-2009, 11:04 AM
We'll like any player that delivers results. Dixon seems like that type of player.

i wish football had a bit more of a change up to it...

say when ben is playing the eagles,, like last year.. and there is nothing working.

you just sit ben down for a spell and bring in a dixon and start bootlegging and running the QB to loosen things up, then bring ben back in and keep rolling...

but.... that may not work since the backups are rusty... it would be nice to have everyone ready at all times. :popcorn:....