PDA

View Full Version : This team has major problems... of the good kind

Preacher
08-23-2009, 02:22 AM
It seems like the coaching staff has some serious decisions ahead of them. Yes, it has been debated here and there... but I want to look at it all in one thread.

Who will disrupt the 53 man roster?

1. Legursky. This kid is an absolute stud. I watrched him VERY specifically tonight. You all DO realize he was going up against Haynesworth tonight right? There was only one time that he got pushed to the point where Haynesworth could disrupt the play. Even there, it was as much another lineman screwing up, making Batch step up into Haynesworth. Legursky deserves to be given a shot with Kemo and Hartwig, either at center or at RG. He is going to cause serious headaches in the 53 man roster.

2. Logan. Ok, I know what everyone is saying. This kid is good, but why give him a spot if he can only return kicks? Well, I have to say one thing. 39 YARD AVERAGE! Now, as I said in another thread. I want to see him in another game against other ST's. However, this kid should send ripples through the 53 man roster. I think he will beat out someone simply because in the end, the yardage he picks up is going to be worth more than what some others can bring.

3. And yes, this is going to be controversial-- Davis. He is blocking, he is leading, I haven't seen him put a wrong foot on the field...and quite a few right feet. He is not going to go anywhere, which means that backfield is going to get REALLY interesting, ESPECIALLY with Logan.

So who gets knocked out? I don't know, but I can tell you all this much. It sure is a nice problem to have.

The Lakelander
08-23-2009, 02:52 AM
So who gets knocked out? I don't know, but I can tell you all this much. It sure is a nice problem to have.

Well it's still too early to say ....

They could just keep Logan as 1 of the 4 RB's and a FB, but I'm not sure they would do that after last year's injury plague in the backfield. They have to keep a big durable RB on the depth chart behind Willie and Rashard.

Mundy becomes expendable at Safety so long as either Deshea or Roy can play dual positions.

Or they may cut down by one LB and let Davis and A. Harrison go to make space????

That would open the spot for Logan if the Steelers keep 5 RB's and a FB.

But it's CB that then becomes a major battle too.

Ike, Gay, Keenan ... then who? .... Ratliff looks strong! ... Deshea could finally become expendable this year if Roy gets kept. They won't keep 6 CB's and that means Madison is gone too, as is Burnett.

Burnett is heading to the practice squad from what I can figure out. He played himself out of a roster spot for a season.

The Definiti0n
08-23-2009, 03:12 AM
I think Dixon is another good probelm to have. Do we keep 3 QBS? Maybe Batch can go and his spot can go to Logan.

The Lakelander
08-23-2009, 03:22 AM
Not a chance.

Not to mention that Dixon may have sprained his AC joint.

sharkweek
08-23-2009, 05:01 AM
Yeah, the Logan situation is a strange (but extremely welcomed) sight to behold - the notion of the Steelers with an exciting return game feels like a fantasy. I hope he's the real deal and if he is they better find a spot for him.

I'm already excited about having health back in the run game as well as not having to put up with a bum punter, to have a return game on top of it all after just winning a Superbowl is very exciting to think about.

Steeldude
08-23-2009, 05:55 AM
I think Dixon is another good probelm to have. Do we keep 3 QBS? Maybe Batch can go and his spot can go to Logan.

i would rather have a proven QB be the backup QB. i don't not want to see the kordell days revisited.

mmalone
08-23-2009, 09:17 AM
i would rather have a proven QB be the backup QB. i don't not want to see the kordell days revisited.

without Ben we lose anyway..... so play Dixon as #2 and let him grow.

our offensive system is not a Patriots system.. Plug and Play..

They run a system of plays were Orton could run and win games...

We run plays that Ben is the master of, without the big Ben scramble going on noone else can take the reigns and win consistently on our offense.

We are not a plug and play offense.... I wish we were, but hey we won a SB...

Arians runs a Hike and Pray........ :rolleyes:

Rotorhead
08-23-2009, 09:36 AM
I disagree we lose without Ben . . . don't get me wrong, he is one, if not the best QB in the league, but we won just fine with (forgot his name dammit) and Batch in the past filling in. We should keep all 3 QB's. I also think we keep Townsend because he can play corner or saftey and Tomilin likes players that can fill 2 roles. I bet we drop one of the RB prospects to the PS and fill Logan in there. I agree with the notion of good starting field position is more important than a RB who will not see the field!

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-23-2009, 09:52 AM
We have a log jam at CB also.

With Burnett and Lewis looking like legitimate players...and with signing Keiwan Ratliff we now have:

Burnett
K.Lewis
Ratliff
Madison
Gay
Taylor
Townsend
R. Lewis

This may be the end of Townsend!!!

HometownGal
08-23-2009, 10:00 AM

I'm not sure I'm getting where you're coming from here, Steeldude. Who is the "proven QB" - Batch? The only thing he has proven to me in all the years I've watched him play with Detroit and the Steelers is that he can hand off a ball pretty well. He has a noodle arm, happy feet and folds when pressured. Don't get me wrong - I like the guy as a person and think he would make an excellent coach somewhere on the Steelers staff, but a "proven QB" he is not. Besides - my stomach can't take the roller coaster ride when he is called upon to replace Ben. :horror: :chuckle:

Good points Father. We really have some nice depth at key positions and it's going to be difficult for Tomlin and his coaches to get down to the final 53. Imho - Logan is a must-have and will really give the ST's a huge boost, along with having DSep back and booting that pigskin. :tt02:

mmalone
08-23-2009, 10:01 AM
We have a log jam at CB also.

With Burnett and Lewis looking like legitimate players...and with signing Keiwan Ratliff we now have:

Burnett
K.Lewis
Ratliff
Madison
Gay
Taylor
Townsend
R. Lewis

This may be the end of Townsend!!!

madison will miss the Black and Gold

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-23-2009, 10:46 AM
madison will miss the Black and Gold

I dont know ...You wouldnt know it because he flies under the radar...but Madison led the team with 25 special teams tackles...and led the team with seven postseason tackles on special teams during our playoff run.

He is a ST demon who (at this point in his career) brings more to the table than Townsend. Also keep in mind that he is 27 years old...as opposed to Townsend who is 34.

I would rather have a backup CB who leads the team in ST tackles, than a backup CB who can play backup safety in a pinch.

pancake
08-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I look forward to seeing how the roster pans out..

When is the first cuts and how many do they have to cut the first time?

Rotorhead
08-23-2009, 10:59 AM
My money is on Townsend staying, I guess I am just a fan of him because he has been reliable forever (I think he and Hines joined the Steelers in the same draft class) and would like him to finish his career donning B&G.

Stlrs4Life
08-23-2009, 11:04 AM

We run plays that Ben is the master of, without the big Ben scramble going on noone else can take the reigns and win consistently on our offense.

I like that! That is hilarious!:toofunny:

Steel Head
08-23-2009, 11:11 AM

since when dont we keep 3 QBs? almost all teams always do

the only time we didnt was a few games we only had 2 but had Randle El in case of emergency

HometownGal
08-23-2009, 11:16 AM

SOS, DT. :rolleyes:

I would think it would behoove you to put the hard on you have for Arians to more productive use.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-23-2009, 11:19 AM
I look forward to seeing how the roster pans out..

When is the first cuts and how many do they have to cut the first time?

Sept. 1 -- Roster cutdown to maximum of 75 players.

Sept. 5 -- Roster cutdown to maximum of 53 players.

fansince'76
08-23-2009, 11:28 AM

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/parrot.jpg

BWAAAK! Arians sucks! Arians sucks! Arians sucks! BWAAAK! BWAAAK!

:yawn:

devilsdancefloor
08-23-2009, 11:36 AM

do you have to bash arians every thread you visit? Is he the greatest no , but get over it already

austinfrench76
08-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I think that Townsend gets the nod simply for his knowledge of Lebeau's system. It is complex not to mention that he is now playing a little bit of safety.

Preacher
08-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Um... from wikipedia

In Internet slang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_slang), a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum), chat room (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chat_room) or blog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog), with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29#cite_note-PCMAG_def-0) or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29#cite_note-IUKB_def-1)

Please stop trolling this thread mmalone. This thread is about the POSITIVE problems this team has... about the areas where we are so deep, or the areas where someone has made such an impression, that he is disrupting the 53 man unit.

Preacher
08-23-2009, 01:38 PM
With Legurskey stepping up, what do we do with Shipley and Urbik. I am sure we don't want to lose Urbik this season, as lineman take some time to develop... same with Shipley. But i doubt Urbik would stick around for hte practice squad... SHip. maybe.

So what does that leave? Is it possible that we cut our RG? Seems to me that Leg or Hartwig can handle it, and the team may be looking for urbik to be the future.

Steeldude
08-23-2009, 01:55 PM
without Ben we lose anyway

we do? so if BR gets hurt you want to use it to watch kordell part 2 play? didn't you have enough of that from 97 to 2001?

Steel Head
08-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Logan and Legursky should def. make the team imo

I still hate Davis. I dont care what he is good at, he is not good at lead blocking and that is what is most important for a FB

tony hipchest
08-23-2009, 01:57 PM
With Legurskey stepping up, what do we do with Shipley and Urbik. I am sure we don't want to lose Urbik this season, as lineman take some time to develop... same with Shipley. But i doubt Urbik would stick around for hte practice squad... SHip. maybe.

So what does that leave? Is it possible that we cut our RG? Seems to me that Leg or Hartwig can handle it, and the team may be looking for urbik to be the future.

plus theres reports that ramon foster is looking better than urbick. but u-boat is too much of a talent to piss away. many other teams would draft a guy like this, throw him into the fire and allow him to develop and learn from his mistakes (kinda like how we were forced to do with stapelton last year).

im almost sure if you gave his 16 games he may suck at first but start looking damn good by years end. unfortunately with us aiming for the superbowl each year we tend to not take such gambles and risks with rookies.

thats just 1 way the steelers operate a bit differently than most teams.

Steeldude
08-23-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure I'm getting where you're coming from here, Steeldude. Who is the "proven QB" - Batch? The only thing he has proven to me in all the years I've watched him play with Detroit and the Steelers is that he can hand off a ball pretty well. He has a noodle arm, happy feet and folds when pressured.

he is a veteran QB who has done well when called upon. i would rather have batch than kordell part 2. i have seen what inaccurate QBs that can't read offenses or defenses can do.

#1 Big Ben Fan
08-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Logan hasn't been doing the RB drills in training camp. He has worked in the WR drills during camp. If he has another solid performance of returning kicks against the Bills then I think he will be a lock to make the roster just as a return man. But if he can show something as a WR then should help his chances as well.

Legursky I have always been a fan of. I didn't think he would be great but I thought he could be a solid OL at the NFL level. I think he makes the team.

I still don't why that most think that Urbik has been sucking. I thought he was solid against the Cards and did ok against the Skins. I think makes the team no doubt.

jjpro11
08-23-2009, 04:03 PM
i don't understand why we just don't cut ties with Carey Davis.. i remember McHugh outblocking Davis late last season and he can be the 3rd TE. that's one player taking two roster spots. if you want to run with 3 TEs, FB and RB.. put a tackle at TE.

Slanted August
08-23-2009, 06:58 PM
I do not understand the intracacies of the cap and how do trades specificaly work in the NFL but could we get draft picks for some of the proven veterans that may get bumbed when the final 53 comes out.

I agree however in that I dont remember a team so deep on offense, defense, special teams. It may come down to the two dimensional player (offense/special teams or defense/special teams) or the player that is a hybrid FB/TE that may be valued higher when evaluation time comes.

Also, does anyone know if Davis out of UCLA can be placed on the practice squad?

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I do not understand the intracacies of the cap and how do trades specificaly work in the NFL but could we get draft picks for some of the proven veterans that may get bumbed when the final 53 comes out.

I agree however in that I dont remember a team so deep on offense, defense, special teams. It may come down to the two dimensional player (offense/special teams or defense/special teams) or the player that is a hybrid FB/TE that may be valued higher when evaluation time comes.

Also, does anyone know if Davis out of UCLA can be placed on the practice squad?

Yes..Davis can still be place on the PS.

As far as getting draft picks,....most teams will wait with the understanding that they may get the same player for nothing when he is cut. Very hard to get any value at this time of the year in trades.

Preacher
08-23-2009, 10:19 PM
i don't understand why we just don't cut ties with Carey Davis.. i remember McHugh outblocking Davis late last season and he can be the 3rd TE. that's one player taking two roster spots. if you want to run with 3 TEs, FB and RB.. put a tackle at TE.

Logan and Legursky should def. make the team imo

I still hate Davis. I dont care what he is good at, he is not good at lead blocking and that is what is most important for a FB

The thing is, go back and watch the last two preseason games... He has actually played VERY well as a lead blocker... to the point that there is no way IMO they can cut him.

Steel Head
08-23-2009, 10:24 PM
The thing is, go back and watch the last two preseason games... He has actually played VERY well as a lead blocker... to the point that there is no way IMO they can cut him.

i specifically did watch him lead block on several plays and it was weak maybe he did well on other plays and I didn't notice :noidea:

Preacher
08-24-2009, 02:42 AM
i specifically did watch him lead block on several plays and it was weak maybe he did well on other plays and I didn't notice :noidea:

Don't forget, I think you (and by you, I mean all of us) are wanting to see a FB that knocks people off their feet. However, all a FB has to do is lock a guy up. Seal up the hole so a RB can get past. As long as that is done, the FB has done a good job. I have not yet (I am about to sit down and go through the second game frame by frame like I did hte first one...so maybe this will change) seen him miss one block as a FB in this preseason.

Honestly, I think the hate for this kid (in general, not directed at you SH) is because he was tackled a few times short of a first down in a very frustrating game in the playoffs a couple years ago. Once a player gets a bad rep in Steelernation... it is almost impossible to shake it.

Am I saying he is the second coming of Kreider in his early years? Absolutely not. But he is much more servicable than most give him credit for.