PDA

View Full Version : I know...I know it's early, but I still think this team will miss Larry Foote

BlastFurnace
08-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Foote was always in position against the run. I don't know how many of those runs in the 1st defensive series were up the middle, but I seem to remember several. Foote wasn't spectacular, but he was steady.

Timmons may be faster and a bigger hitter, but I'm not sure he will be as consistent as Foote was.

I'm not hating on Timmons at all. Just saying that Foote was an important and steady cog in our defense.

WeegiesWarriors
08-23-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't know if what you are talking about is a result of being out of position, but if it is... I would think that is correctable. LB Coach will watch film and if that is the case get it corrected.

The upside of Timmons is far greater than Foote, and if we miss Foote it will be the near short term not the long term.

mmalone
08-23-2009, 08:34 AM
I don't know if what you are talking about is a result of being out of position, but if it is... I would think that is correctable. LB Coach will watch film and if that is the case get it corrected.

The upside of Timmons is far greater than Foote, and if we miss Foote it will be the near short term not the long term.

most of the big runs came off our right side , their LT

HometownGal
08-23-2009, 08:51 AM
I loved Larry Foote as much as most Steelers fans, but 2 preseason games and limited playing time for Timmons really isn't enough time, imho, to really make any kind of assessment on how he is going to fare replacing Foote. I thought Timmons has done OK thus far and I really believe he is going to be a standout on that D very soon.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-23-2009, 08:59 AM
I loved Larry Foote as much as most Steelers fans, but 2 preseason games and limited playing time for Timmons really isn't enough time, imho, to really make any kind of assessment on how he is going to fare replacing Foote. I thought Timmons has done OK thus far and I really believe he is going to be a standout on that D very soon.

I couldnt agree more.

Timmons is a force. Let him get a few games under his belt and he will get rid of theose jitters that might make him hesitate ...and get him back to just covering his assignment.

Glace
08-23-2009, 09:09 AM
It is still way too early to come to judgements on Timmons. It's only the 2nd preseason game. He will be a force to be reckoned with come regular season.

Preseason doesn't mean much to vets other than a tune-up. Preseason is more about giving other guys a shot to build some depth on your team.

But, I do miss Foote. He just kind of always quietly did his job. Always there making or helping to make plays. I was sorry he had the feelings that he did and how he left. He probably could have gone anywhere, but chose to go back to his hometown on arguably the worst team in the league. I wish him well and hope he can whip those guys into shape.

SteelersMongol
08-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Foote will B missed in our hearts as a Steeler, but I personally think that his plays won't B missed, since Timmons looks like he'd do just fine.

Fire Haley
08-23-2009, 09:43 AM
The way Timmons was getting pancaked by RB's it might be wise to put him back on ST and 3rd down plays and put Keyaron Fox in there for a look. Fox made a beautiful play at the goaline coming up and stuffing the guy. THAT'S how you do it!

wadester47
08-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Larry was my favorite D player, no offense Troy- but I will miss him. But Being a steelers fan you know how the routine goes, when a player is loosing a step , missing plays and has Timmons behind him- it's time to move on.
Enjoy those rings Foote!

ANDYMISIU
08-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I've really backed Timmons in 100's of arguments against him being a bust. I've justified his pick and have been a big supporter. However, he looked horrible last night and not very good in the first game. He's getting man handled in the trenches, he can't get off a block, he over pursues, and he always seems to be out of position. the Redskins went right at him!! As it stands now, he is a big liability in our run defense. You can butter it up all you want ("he'll get better, it's coachable") all you you want, but right now, I'm worried.

I have his Jersey! and watch him on almost every play to see how he's handling the new job. It's not looking good.

I still have faith in him, but instead of being sure that he can get the job done, now I'm hoping he can get the job done.

#1 Big Ben Fan
08-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Timmons strengths are blitzing/coverage and he will make big plays when he blitzes or drops into coverage. Timmons weakness is shedding blocks and being in position to stop the run. Which he can work on and become better. He may never be a dominating run defender but I with his ability to make plays with either a sack/INT then I'm willing to live with Timmons just to become adequate in the run game.

Lawrence Timmons will be fine and I think he will the next good one in the Steelers long run in developing NFL LBs.

steeltheone
08-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Foote was an average linebacker at best. He should not have started over T last year. Wont be missed on the field one bit.

Steel Head
08-23-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm not worried at all

Timmons will learn the position. A lot of it comes with experience which he is getting now so he will get better every game. His upside is way better than Foote

Remember Foote sucked and was out of position a lot when he was a rookie. (not hating on Foote just that it took him a while to become a good player too)

The Duke
08-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Foote was an average linebacker at best. He should not have started over T last year. Wont be missed on the field one bit.

don't be so dense

It was obvious before the preseason games that foote would be missed because of his ability to shed blocks and run stops. NOW we are seeing that it is a reality with the way he's played the past 2 games

I'm sure timmons and the defense will be fine , but we will definitely miss foote in that aspect of the game

BlastFurnace
08-23-2009, 03:55 PM

That is just wishful thinking. Foote wasn't great, but to say he won't be missed is not an accurate statement.

steeltheone
08-23-2009, 05:57 PM
don't be so dense

It was obvious before the preseason games that foote would be missed because of his ability to shed blocks and run stops. NOW we are seeing that it is a reality with the way he's played the past 2 games

I'm sure timmons and the defense will be fine , but we will definitely miss foote in that aspect of the game

How was it obvious we would miss Foote? Once again, just average as NFL standards go. Any passing down he was an liability. Don't make any rush judgements on 2 pre season games.

BlastFurnace
08-23-2009, 08:18 PM
How was it obvious we would miss Foote? Once again, just average as NFL standards go. Any passing down he was an liability. Don't make any rush judgements on 2 pre season games.

No-one is making a rush judgement on Timmons yet. What we are missing is the consistency with which Foote played. Was he a great LB...no. But he certainly wasn't a liability on any down he was in there. Perhaps in 2002 when he was a rookie, but he wasn't after that.

sharkweek
08-23-2009, 11:19 PM
This issue seems to come up every time the Steelers lose an excellent LB, and this time its "only" Foote...seriously now...Did they do worse when they lost Joey Porter? No, Porter was merely replaced with James Harrison and I don't hear anyone complaining or second guessing that move now.

To be fretting about losing a LB that was nothing spectacular (if even par per Steeler standards) seems silly. As an organization the Steelers seem to produce quality LB as if they were a LB factory - I have all the faith in the world that Timmons will be yet another quality product of this factory and step in and not miss a beat (if not be an immediate upgrade)

Steel Head
08-23-2009, 11:26 PM
This issue seems to come up every time the Steelers lose an excellent LB, and this time its "only" Foote...seriously now...Did they do worse when they lost Joey Porter? No, Porter was merely replaced with James Harrison and I don't hear anyone complaining or second guessing that move now.

To be fretting about losing a LB that was nothing spectacular (if even par per Steeler standards) seems silly. As an organization the Steelers seem to produce quality LB as if they were a LB factory - I have all the faith in the world that Timmons will be yet another quality product of this factory and step in and not miss a beat (if not be an immediate upgrade)

good post.

I liked Foote but come on. Every time i see athread like this I wonder if the thread creater was a fan in the 90's when we lost probowlers almost every year. They just keep plugging in good young talent and coach them up

X-Terminator
08-24-2009, 01:41 AM
Yes, in the short-term, losing Foote may hurt, but in the long-term, Timmons will be the much better all-around player. We're going to be just fine.

BlastFurnace
08-24-2009, 11:01 AM
good post.

I liked Foote but come on. Every time i see athread like this I wonder if the thread creater was a fan in the 90's when we lost probowlers almost every year. They just keep plugging in good young talent and coach them up

Relax SteelHead. I have been a fan since the mid 70's. I am fully aware of what happened in the 90's, before, and after that. You can put your fan police card back in your wallet.

I was making a general statement. Right now though, Fox looks better in the middle than Timmons does....and neither has been a full time starter before this season. Timmons has tremendous explosion and speed, but his speed has taken him out of some plays.

Like I said in the first post, I am not hating on Timmons. I just think the defense will miss Foote...perhaps only for the short term...but non-the-less, they will miss his steady play in the middle.

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Check this game tape out

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=7417

Uh-Oh, Lawrence Timmons struggles against the run.

Two preseason games in the books and in both contests Lawrence Timmons has looked very shaky vs the run. We all thought it was odd last year when Timmons appeared ready to start yet remained on the bench on 1st and 2nd down. Larry Foote was clearly playing his last season with the Steelers yet still held down the starting job over Timmons.

We may be slowly starting to understand why Timmons was being “hidden” and only came onto the field on 3rd down and passing situations. He’s great at getting to the QB, he can drop into a zone, and is athletic enough to cover a RB, TE, or even a WR in coverage.

Two meaningless preseason games aren’t enough visual evidence to send us into a panic but the Steelers need Timmons to plug holes, track the ball, shed blocks, and tackle guys in the run game.

While Timmons has struggled a bit through two games, Keyaron Fox has looked fantastic. He is playing so well, in fact, that some people out there wouldn’t mind seeing Fox step into Foote’s old role as the ILB on 1st and 2nd down and then giving way to Timmons on 3rd and passing situations.

It’s a bit early to suggest a move as drastic as this, but it really wouldn’t be a bad idea if Keyaron Fox is able to keep up this level of play. I’m not ready to go this far just yet, but it’s nice to know that if for some reason Timmons struggles, Fox is a guy that is capable of stepping in and playing the role of Larry Foote. It’s also important to note that Fox is being given the chance to see some action with the starters in short-yardage and goal line situations. Obviously the coaches like the way he is playing right now.

Take a look at the 2 minute video we posted below. Timmons flashes his speed and skill a few times but he also has some incredibly ugly snaps. Fox is also featured and looks great. I think you will find that Timmons struggles when the ball is run right at him. When the ball goes the other direction, he is great at tracking down the ballcarrier with his speed. Fox on the other hand looks like a natural ILB and doesn’t care if the play is run at him or away from him. He sheds blocks, tracks the ball, and makes a play.

Steel Head
08-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Relax SteelHead.

I am relaxed. Here was my first post in this thread:

I'm not worried at all

Timmons will learn the position. A lot of it comes with experience which he is getting now so he will get better every game. His upside is way better than Foote

Remember Foote sucked and was out of position a lot when he was a rookie. (not hating on Foote just that it took him a while to become a good player too)

I like Fox too. If Timmons isn't getting the job done, I dont think Lebeau will hesitate to put Fox in more. Fox is looking real good and he did come in with the 1st team D in the goal line situation and he stuffed Portis on 3rd and goal

sharkweek
08-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Whether it be Timmons or someone else, I still stand by what I said before; the Steelers are never short on LB talent. Holding on to Foote would have been more harmful in the long run even if losing him hurts a bit in the short. Keep in mind the Steelers have an easier schedule this season, although I guess playing the Titans the first game could be some cause for concern but it isn't until week 7 before they face another run juggernaut.

Psyychoward86
08-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Has everyone forgotten that Timmons played more snaps in the playoffs than Foote? :screwy:

And we all know how terribly that ended...

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 01:14 PM
As Tomlin would say: "Put it on tape"

ANDYMISIU
08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Check this game tape out

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=7417

Uh-Oh, Lawrence Timmons struggles against the run.

Two preseason games in the books and in both contests Lawrence Timmons has looked very shaky vs the run. We all thought it was odd last year when Timmons appeared ready to start yet remained on the bench on 1st and 2nd down. Larry Foote was clearly playing his last season with the Steelers yet still held down the starting job over Timmons.

We may be slowly starting to understand why Timmons was being ďhiddenĒ and only came onto the field on 3rd down and passing situations. Heís great at getting to the QB, he can drop into a zone, and is athletic enough to cover a RB, TE, or even a WR in coverage.

Two meaningless preseason games arenít enough visual evidence to send us into a panic but the Steelers need Timmons to plug holes, track the ball, shed blocks, and tackle guys in the run game.

While Timmons has struggled a bit through two games, Keyaron Fox has looked fantastic. He is playing so well, in fact, that some people out there wouldnít mind seeing Fox step into Footeís old role as the ILB on 1st and 2nd down and then giving way to Timmons on 3rd and passing situations.

Itís a bit early to suggest a move as drastic as this, but it really wouldnít be a bad idea if Keyaron Fox is able to keep up this level of play. Iím not ready to go this far just yet, but itís nice to know that if for some reason Timmons struggles, Fox is a guy that is capable of stepping in and playing the role of Larry Foote. Itís also important to note that Fox is being given the chance to see some action with the starters in short-yardage and goal line situations. Obviously the coaches like the way he is playing right now.

Take a look at the 2 minute video we posted below. Timmons flashes his speed and skill a few times but he also has some incredibly ugly snaps. Fox is also featured and looks great. I think you will find that Timmons struggles when the ball is run right at him. When the ball goes the other direction, he is great at tracking down the ballcarrier with his speed. Fox on the other hand looks like a natural ILB and doesnít care if the play is run at him or away from him. He sheds blocks, tracks the ball, and makes a play.

I don't think he played as bad in these clips as one might think. Lets look at it play by play.

Play 1- He did his job and met the lead blocker in the hole allowing his boys to make the tackle.

Play 2- He controlled the back side of the play and was ready for any cut back. He stayed home, good play.

Play 3- He got blown the F up! no doubting that, however next time he needs to recognize who he's up against and take the lead blocker out by cutting his legs. Give him credit for trying to deliver a blow.

Play 4- He should have stayed home on this play, he was out of position. Should be corrected at this point by watching the tape.

Play 5- Made a great goaline play by shedding his block and tracking down the ball carrier.

Play 6- He did his job and took out the lead blocker forcing the back to run inside which allowed Fox to make that play. If he doesn't do that the back runs to the pylon.

Play 7- He makes a great play.

I think you need to know what your watching before you go making comments and articles about it. Is Fox playing great? sure, good for us to have depth. Foote and Timmons combined last year to make one heck of a linebacker, but Timmons is the better all around player. He may not be as sturdy against the run as Foote was, but his athleticism more than makes up for it. Timmons will allow Dick to create some pretty amazing blitz packages which won't be seen in preseason. Timmons will also create more turnovers and loss of yardage plays with his sacks. I think we gain more with Timmons in the game then we lose with Foote out. Timmons is only going to get better and is continuing to be coached at the position.

Nice try, but no cigar on this story.

I actually gained my confidence in Timmons back after watching those clips.

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I actually gained my confidence in Timmons back after watching those clips.

Everybody sees what they want.

I was actually encouraged by what I saw from Timmons too - yeah - he got pancaked, but he was aggressive and attacked the line. He's still a work in progress against the run, this will be his first year as a starter.

Of course, if all else fails, put Fox in there and let Timmons take back his blitz and nickle package role like last year on obvious passing downs. Time will tell. Defense is more than a collection of individuals, they all have to work together.

Fire Haley
08-24-2009, 01:48 PM
p.s. - the whole defense looked like they were ready for pizza and a movie instead of playing in that slop.

Keep them all healthy going into the season and I will be a happy camper.