PDA

View Full Version : Steelers: Dan Rooney will return to Pittsburgh for the season opener

mesaSteeler
08-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Steelers: Dan Rooney will return to Pittsburgh for the season opener
http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/08/steelers-dan-rooney-will-return-to-pittsburgh-for-the-season-opener.html

The U.S. ambassador to Ireland plans to attend the NFL regular season opener on Thursday Sept. 10 between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Tennessee Titans. He will need no introduction at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.

Dan Rooney, now chairman emeritus of the Steelers, was sworn in as ambassador on July 1. Appointed by President Barack Obama, his duties in Ireland have kept him away from Pittsburgh’s training camp and preseason games.

"It's been different. There's no doubt, and we certainly miss him," his son, Art Rooney II, said prior to Pittsburgh’s preseason game Saturday night against the Washington Redskins in Landover, Md. "But we’re looking forward to having him back for the first game. ... He’s going to be back for the opener."

Art II, club president since 2003, said the team sent his father a recording of the Steelers preseason opener against the Arizona Cardinals (though he wasn't able to watch it) and has been sending him other updates.

He was aware, for example, that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sustained an ankle injury last week in practice that resulted in him sitting out Saturday night’s 17-13 loss to Washington.

"I talked to him after that happened. He was asking about it, so he was aware of it," said Art II. " … Almost every day we send him a little a little bit of information. I think he has a chance to kind of keep up, at least on the big news."

The Steelers website is another handy source. Beyond the Tennessee game, the senior Rooney is working on a way to watch Pittsburgh's other regular season game on TV.

"He's trying to get something set so that he'll be able to see the regular-season games, although he said the night games he probably won't be able to watch because they’ll be on in the middle of the night (in Ireland)," said his son.

That's due to the time difference.

"It’s five hours (later) now," said Art II. "And then we change back from Daylight Savings Time, it's six. He'll be asleep for the night games."
-- Gary Mihoces

HometownGal
08-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Great news! :applaudit: It wouldn't be a home opener without Mr. Rooney in attendance! :tt02:

OneForTheToe
08-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Art II, club president since 2003, said the team sent his father a recording of the Steelers preseason opener against the Arizona Cardinals (though he wasn't able to watch it) and has been sending him other updates.

Did he have the expressed written consent of the NFL to reproduce or rebroadcast that game? :wink02:

stillers4me
08-24-2009, 05:25 PM
He will be a welcome sight in the locker room, I'm sure!

Preacher
08-24-2009, 05:41 PM
For the umpteenth time......

It sure is nice having this ownership.

SteelerFanInCA
08-24-2009, 05:45 PM
This will be a nice addition to the home opener.

hindes204
08-24-2009, 05:54 PM
For the umpteenth time......

It sure is nice having this ownership.

i agree...the Rooneys are hands down the best owners in all of sports. I am a little biased though :tt03::tt03::tt03: