PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Central's Tom Korte intercepts a pass during Steelers' preseason loss

mesaSteeler
08-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Catholic Central's Tom Korte intercepts a pass during Steelers' preseason loss to Washington
Posted by Brian VanOchten | The Grand Rapids Press August 24, 2009 15:45PM
http://blog.mlive.com/twominutedrill/2009/08/catholic_centrals_tom_korte_in.html

Tom Korte is living the NFL dream as a free-agent linebacker attempting to earn a roster spot with the Super Bowl-champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

So far, so good.

The former Catholic Central High School standout had an interception for the Steelers in a 17-13 defeat at Washington on Saturday night in preseason action.

He stepped in front of Washington quarterback Colt Brennan's pass at the Pittsburgh 5-yard line with 4:13 left in the fourth quarter and returned it 27 yards.

"A lot of young guys were out there," Korte said of the third-team defense. "I was just reading the quarterback's eyes and I made a good break on the ball.

"It was a good play for me. I needed that. I was just in the right place at the right time."

Korte, 23, hopes that Pittsburgh is the right place for him.

The 6-foot, 239-pound undrafted rookie from Hillsdale College is fighting for a spot on a team loaded with defensive stars such as veteran linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley and safety Troy Polamalu.

"It's a tight race. It's really going to come down to who makes the plays on special teams," Korte said of claiming one of the final spots on the 53-man roster. "I'm just trying to play my hardest. Hopefully, the breaks will continue to come my way."

He had two tackles, including one solo, against Washington.

He also contributed one special teams tackle while helping the Steelers earn a 20-10 victory over the Arizona Cardinals in their Aug. 13 preseason opener.

"It's just a dream come true to be in camp with a team like the Steelers," Korte said. "I'm just trying to keep living that dream every day."

steeltheone
08-24-2009, 08:11 PM
seems like he could earn ps

The Duke
08-24-2009, 08:16 PM
seems like he could earn ps

Hopefully he's impressed the coaches enough

I was high on mike humpal last year. Maybe Korte can replace him on the PS

though I think he was on IR last year....

JackHammer
08-24-2009, 09:29 PM
This kid is the next John Fiala!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Galax Steeler
08-25-2009, 03:33 AM
Hopefully he's impressed the coaches enough

I was high on mike humpal last year. Maybe Korte can replace him on the PS

though I think he was on IR last year....

Yea it is going to be hard for him to make team. I think he will be lucky if he even makes the practice squad with all the talent we have.

BlockMonsta
08-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Can someone explain to me how it works being a free agent? Is it just like walking onto a college program?

X-Terminator
08-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Can someone explain to me how it works being a free agent? Is it just like walking onto a college program?

it's not exactly like that. Korte wasn't drafted and has no college eligibility left, therefore he became an unrestricted FA and free to sign with any team.