PDA

View Full Version : #14

STEELTOWNBEATDOWN
08-24-2009, 09:37 PM
You can say sweed has a couple drops here and there, but the truth is he makes spectacular catches. I understand it's not cool to drop the ball, but why bash sweed when hines and ward drop some balls as well? IMO Sweed drops the ball because of concentration or in other words he drops the ones he has too much time to think about. Sweed will be a very solid number 3 reciever this year, and will eventualoly be a great number two. Mark my word. I know wallace has been doing good, but he still seems kind of lost out there. Mcdonald has only gone up against 4th and 5th stringers so far, but i still think he will be a good insurance policy.

Hotrodder07
08-24-2009, 09:46 PM
There's a difference between dropping a ball here and there (Ward) and consistently dropping at least 1 ball every game (Sweed). That said, I believe he will be a solid #3 this year, because the talent is there. He won't drop any more balls than Nate Washington would have. I think it's just a confidence issue. I still believe that he is crazy nervous, and he has too much time to think about catching the easy passes, but the difficult ones, instinct just takes over, and he makes a great play. I think he'll improve, it will just take a little more time.

Just my opinion.

STEELTOWNBEATDOWN
08-24-2009, 09:51 PM
There's a difference between dropping a ball here and there (Ward) and consistently dropping at least 1 ball every game (Sweed). That said, I believe he will be a solid #3 this year, because the talent is there. He won't drop any more balls than Nate Washington would have. I think it's just a confidence issue. I still believe that he is crazy nervous, and he has too much time to think about catching the easy passes, but the difficult ones, instinct just takes over, and he makes a great play. I think he'll improve, it will just take a little more time.

Just my opinion.

Yea i agree. He gets open more than our other receivers and has so much time to think about it. He just needs to polish his overall game. I think he is too worried about making the big play, therefore he is slacking on the easy grabs. He will get it with more reps and hard work. I'm a longhorn fan and Sweed is gonna be great. I say half way through the season he will be #2 receiver caliber.

Galax Steeler
08-25-2009, 03:38 AM
You can say sweed has a couple drops here and there, but the truth is he makes spectacular catches. I understand it's not cool to drop the ball, but why bash sweed when hines and ward drop some balls as well? IMO Sweed drops the ball because of concentration or in other words he drops the ones he has too much time to think about. Sweed will be a very solid number 3 reciever this year, and will eventualoly be a great number two. Mark my word. I know wallace has been doing good, but he still seems kind of lost out there. Mcdonald has only gone up against 4th and 5th stringers so far, but i still think he will be a good insurance policy.

Sweed will be fine he does a good job at getting open. But I am still yet to see Wallace lost he is running some good routes and getting open and catching everything in site. Just my opinion.

mmalone
08-25-2009, 05:00 AM
Sweed will be fine he does a good job at getting open. But I am still yet to see Wallace lost he is running some good routes and getting open and catching everything in site. Just my opinion.

if he makes sure he holds the 3rd down balls, everyone will love him.

WeegiesWarriors
08-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Sweed will be a love 'em and hate 'em guy. He's going to make long spectacular catches over DB's then will drop a 3rd and 9 out or curl route.

This time next year I fully believe Wallace will be touted as the jewel in his draft class and will have overtaken Sweed... if he doesn't this year. I too don't see him as being lost. That catch on that slant route in the last game is a catch you just don't see a rookie making.

Steel Head
08-25-2009, 07:18 AM
I like the progress Sweed had made. I also like what I've seen from Wallace and McDonald

The 5 -WR set is coming back this year, prepare yourself!!!

Steel Head
08-25-2009, 07:21 AM

Wallace is doing fine. A hell of a lot better than where Sweed was at this time last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he passes Sweed on the depth chart

SteelMember
08-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Sweed will be a love 'em and hate 'em guy. He's going to make long spectacular catches over DB's then will drop a 3rd and 9 out or curl route.

This time next year I fully believe Wallace will be touted as the jewel in his draft class and will have overtaken Sweed... if he doesn't this year. I too don't see him as being lost. That catch on that slant route in the last game is a catch you just don't see a rookie making.

You make some good points here. Although I believe these are two different animals. Sweed is built imo as more of a SE, and runs routes better on the outside. While Wallace is a guy that seems to thrive in the slot. This, I think, will give him more playing time over Sweed in the long run, because they will need to move Ward inside when he is on the field. Something Ward will do, but don't think he would want to take those hits that often anymore.

Either way, these are good problems to have. That is, worrying about how much playing time the 3, 4 and 5 receivers will get.

mmalone
08-25-2009, 07:43 AM
You make some good points here. Although I believe these are two different animals. Sweed is built imo as more of a SE, and runs routes better on the outside. While Wallace is a guy that seems to thrive in the slot. This, I think, will give him more playing time over Sweed in the long run, because they will need to move Ward inside when he is on the field. Something Ward will do, but don't think he would want to take those hits that often anymore.

Either way, these are good problems to have. That is, worrying about how much playing time the 3, 4 and 5 receivers will get.

its a great problem. but yes... mcdonald, ward, wallace love that slot.

sweed and holmes should strech em out nice.

it will be nice to see all the new plays that fit this armada of receivers. look out
we will be strong.

Steel Head
08-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Wallace is not a prototypical slot receiver. He is tall and a burner. He can stretch the field. He is more similar to a Nate Washington type

mmalone
08-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Wallace is not a prototypical slot receiver. He is tall and a burner. He can stretch the field. He is more similar to a Nate Washington type

he is the same size as ward... but either way we have 5 great recievers for this year.

sweed, baker and washington, martin are the tall ones right?

steeltheone
08-25-2009, 08:36 AM
he is the same size as ward... but either way we have 5 great recievers for this year.

5 GREAT recievers is yet to be seen

mmalone
08-25-2009, 08:40 AM
5 GREAT recievers is yet to be seen

you know what i mean, noone can afford 5 wards at the same time, or 5 Fitzgeralds...

5 great receivers that fit in the salary cap. hows that...

Steel Head
08-25-2009, 08:46 AM

you're right. my bad, Wallace looked tall to me

either way, I really like the talent we have at WR this year with Ward, Holmes, Sweed, McDonald and Wallace

Indo
08-25-2009, 08:48 AM
I agree that Sweed seems to drop the ones that he has time to think about--

"OMG, OMG, I'm wide open and after I catch this ball I'll gain another 20 yards and maybe a TD and...." *drop*

But when he has to make a big catch in traffic his brain turns off and his Instinct just takes over and he makes the grab.

He will be a HUGE force to be reckoned with when he gets his head out of the game and just lets what his body knows how to do take over---

And once Wallace gets a little seasoning....watch out

These two will be a fierce tandem

jjpro11
08-25-2009, 09:03 AM
he's a lot like Nate Washington. just a bit taller.

revefsreleets
08-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Lost in all this is that McDonald gets open (no matter what level the competition is at) and NEVER drops ANYTHING. I think he's dropped like two balls all camp...

mmalone
08-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Lost in all this is that McDonald gets open (no matter what level the competition is at) and NEVER drops ANYTHING. I think he's dropped like two balls all camp...

lost... we knew this from day one when he left Detroit.... even if hes covered by three he gets the ball, small holes are openings for this guy...

hes a great player. if ward gets hurt, he will fill in and we wont miss to many steps.

well maybe a big smile.....

SteelMember
08-25-2009, 10:14 AM

Good Point, but I did notice in the first game that when the ball hit him in the hands, it's almost like he bobbled two or three the exact same way. Yes, he did make the catch, but I guess I'd like to see him secure it better.

steeltheone
08-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Thank goodness for McDonald. After Hines and Santonio we are very suspect. One goes down we would be in trouble. A lot of potential, but very green..

LukesDad88
08-25-2009, 06:37 PM
My money's on Wallace. He's going to be a star in this league.

Galax Steeler
08-26-2009, 03:34 AM

Lets not forget about Holmes the Super Bowl mvp. Wallace still has alot to prove.

STEELTOWNBEATDOWN
08-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Based on what? A couple catches in two preseason games? He has a long way to go, but he is learning the offense pretty well.

mmalone
08-26-2009, 02:42 PM
start in this order and were good to go.

Ward
Holmes
Sweed
McDonald
Wallace

STEELTOWNBEATDOWN
08-26-2009, 02:52 PM
My order would be Ward Holmes Sweed Wallace then Mcdoanald. Ward makes the toughest mid range catches. The next three are guys that can stretch the field. Who do you double? Don't forget about Miller too. Holmes and Sweed will allow Miller to have field days on sundays.

Steel Head
08-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Obviously, Ward and Holmes are our starters

I think the other 3 will all get their chances to contribute

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-26-2009, 03:44 PM
It's my belief that you don't make it this far without knowing how to catch. Most guys drop a lot early in their career. Sweed has the ability to be a game changer.

STEELTOWNBEATDOWN
08-26-2009, 06:44 PM
It's my belief that you don't make it this far without knowing how to catch. Most guys drop a lot early in their career. Sweed has the ability to be a game changer.

He'll be fine. Just watch his college highlights, and you'll see they are mostly all big plays. He's not a possession reciever.