PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donor

SteelTalons
08-25-2009, 12:45 PM
I was just thinking, since healthcare and stuff of that nature has sorta been the main thing in this section lately. I was wondering...

How many of you are organ donors? Not that this matters really when it comes to healthcare reform. But I was just curious if anyone else other than myself has agreed, in the event of our demise our organs be given to those who need them.

I know some people are a little freaked out by that, but personally I don't have any use for them if I'm dead. And if it can help someone else out, then I guess its sorta my little way of giving back to the world from the grave. So someone who still has some work to do in this world, can be able to do it. Whether it be raising their kids or what have you.

Afterall its not easy to get organs. So I figured it'd be a good thing to be willing to let'em have my set to chip in. Ya know?

7SteelGal43
08-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I am an organ donor.

hindes204
08-25-2009, 01:41 PM
I am also an organ donor

fansince'76
08-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Yep, I'm an organ donor.

Indo
08-25-2009, 02:34 PM
I was just thinking, since healthcare and stuff of that nature has sorta been the main thing in this section lately. I was wondering...

How many of you are organ donors? Not that this matters really when it comes to healthcare reform. But I was just curious if anyone else other than myself has agreed, in the event of our demise our organs be given to those who need them.

I know some people are a little freaked out by that, but personally I don't have any use for them if I'm dead. And if it can help someone else out, then I guess its sorta my little way of giving back to the world from the grave. So someone who still has some work to do in this world, can be able to do it. Whether it be raising their kids or what have you.

Afterall its not easy to get organs. So I figured it'd be a good thing to be willing to let'em have my set to chip in. Ya know?

I am a donor

Let me add that I have been involved in both the procuring of and transplantation of donated organs. In most states (not sure if this occurs in ALL states), the family of the deceased who donated the organs gets a letter telling them where all of the organs went ("The heart went to Mr. X, who is a father of four; the kidney went to Mrs. Y who is a homemaker in Nevada...etc). I have had families tell me that it is very gratifying for them to know that their loved one made a HUGE difference in someone's life and potentially SAVED someone's life by donating their organs. It seems to give comfort to families who are dealing with a difficult situation to know that their loved one's death had some meaning by helping others.
Depending on how the organs are used, up to 9 people can be helped
(heart, 2 lungs, 2 kidneys, liver, pancreas, 2 eyes (corneas))

For those who may be interested, the daughter of a friend of mine is waiting on the transplant list for a heart/double-lung transplant.Her time is getting short...I would gladly give her mine if I wasn't using them. This is her story (long, but interesting...)

http://www.harrysdiveshop.com/about/chelsea.html

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-25-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm also an organ donor.

revefsreleets
08-25-2009, 02:45 PM
I am too...anybody read about the Israeli dude who supposedly sold his kidney in NY for 20k?

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/08/19/20090819BlackMarketKidney0819.html

devilsdancefloor
08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
i am as well a donor

NJarhead
08-25-2009, 03:09 PM
I am too.

beSteelmyheart
08-25-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm an organ donor also.
I also heard that skin can be used to help burn victims?

Indo
08-25-2009, 03:44 PM
I am too...anybody read about the Israeli dude who supposedly sold his kidney in NY for 20k?

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/08/19/20090819BlackMarketKidney0819.html

I hadn't seen that before---but I must admit that I am very skeptical. I certainly haven't seen the video, either. But, even if I had, I would remain skeptical. There is much more to transplanting an organ than "here's a kidney, put it in me".

It is much more complex than "Both patients were blood type O". I don't want to bore anybody with all of it, but anyone interested can google "HLA testing" and get a better understanding of determining if a potential organ is a "match" for the recipient. It seems very unlikely that he put an article in a paper "Wanted--your kidney" and someone responded, was able to convince doctors (in Israel) to perform numerous, very expensive, HLA tests because he wanted to give someone his kidney for money(on the so-called Black Market). Supposing all of that actually happened, what is the likelihood that he actually was an HLA match? Not very likely. It's like rolling 10 dice and expecting all sixes.

Let's, for the sake of argument, say

1) that he (the alleged donor) was able to get all of the pre-tansplantation testing done in Israel (by the way, for living donors he would also need a renal ultrasound and renal scan to prove that the kidney that would remain would function adequately enough after the loss of the donated kidney, among other tests----all very expensive for someone to get in any country; why would they do it in Israel? How did he convince the docs over there to perform all of those tests without a good reason? I don't think "I'm planning to sell my kidney to someone in the US" would have convinced anyone that the tests should be performed).

2) that he was the Perfect blood type, HLA, and minor antigen (don't want to get any more complex) match----how did he convince doctors in the US to remove the kidney? The doc had to know that this was a bit shady...that the tests were all performed in Israel, etc. The procurement of transplant organs is very strictly regulated, for good reason...did a reputable transplant surgeon just throw all care to the wind and decide to risk his/her whole career for one patient who was on dialysis anyway (in absolutely no risk of imminent death)?

3) did the hospital where the operation was allegedly performed agree to it? One does not "sneak" a patient into the OR and take out a kidney (then turn around and put it into another person...). Which also brings up the point that there is a finite time limit for transplanting an organ---the clock begins ticking the instant the blood supply to the organ that is to be transplanted is tied off------ticktock ticktock----it MUST be transplanted and the blood supply restored or it will die. This requires quite a bit of planning and coordination between the OR teams and the 2 surgeons (the one harvesting the organ and the one transplanting it)---so, actually, two surgeons had to risk their careers because of this shady operation

I'm very skeptical-----it would be much easier to come up with this craziness and fake the video and news story than it would be to actually do it

maybe I'm wrong---but I doubt it

Indo
08-25-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm an organ donor also.
I also heard that skin can be used to help burn victims?

Yes----cadaveric skin is used for skin grafting in patients who have severe, extensive burns that don't have enough normal (unburned) skin of their own to use. It's not technically a "transplant" because donor-recipient matching isn't necessary. The cadaveric skin is skin-grafted over the burned area and provides a good "covering" to prevent fluid and protein losses thru the burned area. The cadaveric skin is ultimately "rejected" by the recipients body, and sloughs off (like a large scab). But , by the time that happens, the patient's own skin is re-growing underneath

fansince'76
08-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Yes----cadaveric skin is used for skin grafting in patients who have severe, extensive burns that don't have enough normal (unburned) skin of their own to use. It's not technically a "transplant" because donor-recipient matching isn't necessary. The cadaveric skin is skin-grafted over the burned area and provides a good "covering" to prevent fluid and protein losses thru the burned area. The cadaveric skin is ultimately "rejected" by the recipients body, and sloughs off (like a large scab). But , by the time that happens, the patient's own skin is re-growing underneath

Man, I'll bet that ITCHES when the patient's skin is growing back, huh?

Preacher
08-25-2009, 03:57 PM
:rofl:

Never even entered my mind... but yeah, I bet it would too!!

Indo
08-25-2009, 04:02 PM

Made me laugh, too...but, in all seriousness---probably not. Those that are burned badly enough to require cadaveric skin grafts are generally in exquisite pain and fighting for their lives. If it does itch I'm guessing the patients don't even notice it

HometownGal
08-25-2009, 05:27 PM
I truly commend everyone who so unselfishly donates their organs at death so that someone else can live! :drink: :hug:

I used to be an organ donor until after the second cancer, chemo and radiation. My oncologist told me that it wouldn't be feasible for me to donate most of my organs because of all of the radiation and chemo I had both in 1996 and again in 2002. I felt really sad about that.

nojobny
08-25-2009, 06:16 PM
I truly commend everyone who so unselfishly donates their organs at death so that someone else can live! :drink: :hug:

I used to be an organ donor until after the second cancer, chemo and radiation. My oncologist told me that it wouldn't be feasible for me to donate most of my organs because of all of the radiation and chemo I had both in 1996 and again in 2002. I felt really sad about that.

First off, :hug: for being a survivor b/c cancer SUCKS. Can you donate your body for cancer research?

Oh, yeah. I'm a donor as well.

steelwalls
08-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Yes I am a donor. Wont need the organs after I die, if someone can live due to my death then I'm all for it.

vasteeler
08-26-2009, 10:43 AM
im a donor as well, really dont understand why everyone doesnt donate

Indo
08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
im a donor as well, really dont understand why everyone doesnt donate

Some people and some religions (I think Jehovah's Witnesses,for example) consider it to be a Desecration of the Body

(and, anybody please correct me if I am wrong about Jehovah's Witnesses...)

vasteeler
08-27-2009, 11:02 AM
oh yeah, good point about the religious beliefs, i think its a strange belief but who am i to judge

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm not a donor.

Few reasons, one is, if I'm in a car wreck and am "clinging" to life, I don't want a doctor looking at me as being able to save 9 people's lives if he lets me "slip out" and doesn't work as hard to save me.

And, unless my death is suspicious, I don't even want an Autopsy. Just put me in the ground as I am, no embalming, no nonsense. I want all my pieces as they are, and want left alone to slowly rot in the ground by myself while I comtemplate the mysteries of life...or death...or magicians.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Oh, and if it seems like I'm being "greedy"

You're Damn Freaking Right I am.

Indo
08-27-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm not a donor.

Few reasons, one is, if I'm in a car wreck and am "clinging" to life, I don't want a doctor looking at me as being able to save 9 people's lives if he lets me "slip out" and doesn't work as hard to save me.

And, unless my death is suspicious, I don't even want an Autopsy. Just put me in the ground as I am, no embalming, no nonsense. I want all my pieces as they are, and want left alone to slowly rot in the ground by myself while I comtemplate the mysteries of life...or death...or magicians.

C'mon Man!
Do you REALLY think that might happen?

One Life is just as important as the next---the car-wreck victim's life is no less important as the person who needs the heart transplant...The saving of any Life gets 100% effort...(or, 110%, as we all learned in High School!)

I'm not saying you should be a donor; people have different reasons for wanting to be a donor or not, and it's a very personal decision.

As far as the "suspicious death" goes, that is considered a Coroner's Case (Death Due to "Foul Play", as it is called) and generally requires an autopsy unless the coroner "releases" the body and allows the autopsy to be skipped).

MACH1
08-27-2009, 03:06 PM
C'mon Man!

One Life is just as important as the next---the car-wreck victim's life is no less important as the person who needs the heart transplant...The saving of any Life gets 100% effort...(or, 110%, as we all learned in High School!)

I'm not saying you should be a donor; people have different reasons for wanting to be a donor or not, and it's a very personal decision.

As far as the "suspicious death" goes, that is considered a Coroner's Case (Death Due to "Foul Play", as it is called) and generally requires an autopsy unless the coroner "releases" the body and allows the autopsy to be skipped).

That's all gonna change if obamicare passes.

SteelTalons
08-27-2009, 05:10 PM
That's all gonna change if obamicare passes.

Yes, they will hit you with a sledge hammer, rip out your organs and give them to gay Mexican day laborers who ACORN has already registered to vote for Hugo Chávez in 2012.

The communist take over is at hand! :screwy:

MACH1
08-27-2009, 05:35 PM
And when your 50-60 in need of a heart transplant and deemed to old or not important enough, well enjoy your pain pill.

tony hipchest
08-27-2009, 06:23 PM
im an orgasm donor. even got the card for my wallet and keychain-

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/lg_Orgasm_Donor.jpg

:chuckle: nah, im gonna give all my organs plus my bones.

im also a boner donor! :laughing:

i forget the name of the famous german artist who takes donated (or allegedly buys dead chinese prisoners) bodies, plastisizes them, slices them up and then puts them on display in museums. that would be cool.

ive also thought it would be cool to be a skeleton hanging in some elementary kid's science room at school.

at the time i was in college, UNM medical school was the only one to offer prosection to undergraduates. (pretty much dissection of a human body) we had four that had been dontated for medical study. pretty cool unless you witness what we did with them. :chuckle: plus they start to get pretty nasty after a full semester of cutting, poking and prodding, pulling things out and stuffing them back in...

its for a good cause. one way or another i will donate.

JEFF4i
08-27-2009, 07:16 PM
For sure. :)

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2009, 11:38 AM
C'mon Man!

yes, I Do think that could happen. What if the doctor knows an 8 year old little girl that he's been taking care of for months that needs a kidney, or an eye. What if its the Doctors little girl that needs the organ, or a relative, or a Rich Guy that offered money "off the books" to be bumped up a list? Yes, I believe that could happen.

So just bury me as is, I need my bones and body for when I come back during the Zombie Uprising.

Indo
08-28-2009, 02:15 PM
yes, I Do think that could happen. What if the doctor knows an 8 year old little girl that he's been taking care of for months that needs a kidney, or an eye. What if its the Doctors little girl that needs the organ, or a relative, or a Rich Guy that offered money "off the books" to be bumped up a list? Yes, I believe that could happen.

So just bury me as is, I need my bones and body for when I come back during the Zombie Uprising.

Since my organs will be gone I'll have to come back as some kind of Zombie Slime or Ooze