PDA

View Full Version : Dick LeBeau Nominated for the Hall of Fame!!!!!

alittlejazzbird
08-25-2009, 01:35 PM
What a great, great day for a richly deserving man.

Steeler's LeBeau nominated for Hall of Fame
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is one of two seniors nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

LeBeau joins Floyd Little as the two nominees of the senior committee and will join 15 modern day candidates as finalists. The modern-day finalists have yet to be chosen.

LeBeau, 71, has been in the NFL either as a coach or player for 51 years. He still holds the NFL record for playing in 171 consecutive games as a cornerback and is tied for seventh in NFL history with 62 career interceptions. At the time of his retirement with the Detroit Lions, Lebeau was third in career interceptions. He also appeared in three Pro Bowls.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09237/993149-66.stm#ixzz0PDm2T8DU

devilsdancefloor
08-25-2009, 01:38 PM
That is awesome!!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::t t03:

hindes204
08-25-2009, 01:39 PM
:tt02::tt02::tt02::thumbsup::applaudit::applaudit:

Hell yea.....im excited

sunami42
08-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Yea!! its about time.. he deserves it...:tt::tt::tt:

Psyychoward86
08-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Wow. The guy deserves a thousand apologies. Sorry it took so long Coach Dad :tt:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-25-2009, 01:53 PM
HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE BETTER GET IN OR I WILL BE PISSED OFF!

fansince'76
08-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Congrats to Coach Dad! :tt:

SteelMember
08-25-2009, 01:58 PM
As Woodson said..."I hope the voters get this right and put him in."

The man deserves it!

alittlejazzbird
08-25-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm already planning my trip to Canton for the induction. The man is loved like a father by all his players, and is universally respected and admired for his accomplishments and contributions to the NFL. He's a lock, as far as I'm concerned.

Texasteel
08-25-2009, 02:18 PM
About ****** time. Now after he quits coaching they can put him in a 2nd time.

Congratulations coach, You deserve this twice over.

KeiselPower99
08-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Maybe they will invite us back up for the game when he gets inducted that way he wont miss anytime at work.

Texasteel
08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Maybe they will invite us back up for the game when he gets inducted that way he wont miss anytime at work.

His induction plus a Steelers game. Now that would interest me greatly.

alittlejazzbird
08-25-2009, 02:22 PM
His induction plus a Steelers game. Now that would interest me greatly.

Me too - that would be the BEST!!!!

Texasteel
08-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Me too - that would be the BEST!!!!

Maybe we could get a group rate.:chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
YES!!!!

MOST DESERVING!!!!!!
:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt::tt03::tt03::tt03:

JackHammer
08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
This just made my day!! I think with all the support he's been getting lately, it's obvious that he will be a Hall of Famer at this time next year. The voters can't possibly be dumb enough to screw this one up. I CANNOT WAIT to see his induction!!! Imagine how many of his players are gonna be in attendance. It gonna be a real sight to behold :tt03:

klick81
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
WOOT WOOT! About time!!!

alittlejazzbird
08-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Maybe we could get a group rate.:chuckle:

Sign me up, Texasteel! Canton will be a sea of Terrible Towels on that happy day...and we'll all be blubbering happy tears right along with Coach Dad.

A funny comment from Mike Florio over at Profootballtalk.com:

We assume that Hall of Fame coach John Madden is pulling for LeBeau to get in, so that LeBeau's bust can recite The Night Before Christmas for the other busts each and every December 24.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/25/dick-lebeau-floyd-little-move-closer-to-canton/

MACH1
08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
About eff'n time.

TheWarDen86
08-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Step one -Check

About damn time!

Step two- ?

GET IT DONE!

SteelCityKing
08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
that'd be great is Dawson can get in with LeBeau too. when is the last time two Steelers made it in on the same year?

TackleMeBen
08-25-2009, 03:11 PM
if he gets in, i doubt there will be any seats left for the other nominees..lol. .

Preacher
08-25-2009, 03:15 PM
What I like about it.... is how the Steelers players have all basically gotten together to give him this push.

It says a lot about our team. Heck, haven't offensive players even gotten behind it?

CanadianSteel
08-25-2009, 03:15 PM
That is just great news.... props to Father time... and I mean that in a good way - he looks better than me and he in his 70s...

STEELtownHAVOX
08-25-2009, 03:16 PM
GREAT!!

Venom
08-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Congrats ,,,long overdue !!!!

HometownGal
08-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Hallelujah!!! :banana: :getdown: :drink:

I don't think there is a player/coach out there who is more deserving of HOF honors than Papa LeBeau! :thumbsup: :tt02:

OneForTheToe
08-25-2009, 03:57 PM
I can hear the news broadcasts in Cinci now: "former Bengals head Dick LeBeau nominated for the Hall of Fame."
:toofunny:

Seriously, congrats to coach LeBeau.

Indo
08-25-2009, 04:14 PM
:tt03:

revefsreleets
08-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Hmmmm...that's awesome, but this is going to start another run of Steelers. Dirt HAS to get in soon. Bettis is a first ballot guy. I hope there's no backlash...there are a LOT of haters out there...

Bluedust
08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Made my day, great news.

7SteelGal43
08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
I can hear the news broadcasts in Cinci now: "former Bengals head Dick LeBeau nominated for the Hall of Fame.":toofunny:

:toofunny::rofl:

GutterflowerSteel
08-25-2009, 04:36 PM
:cheer: It's about time - enshrine this man already!! :cheer: It would be sweet if his elderly mother could watch her son get inducted.

SteelCityMan786
08-25-2009, 04:39 PM
IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!

stillers4me
08-25-2009, 05:26 PM
:cheer: It's about time - enshrine this man already!! :cheer: It would be sweet if his elderly mother could watch her son get inducted.

What a great thought!

:drink:

SteelersinCA
08-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Best news I have heard in a while!!!!:tt03:

X-Terminator
08-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Long, LONG overdue. Congrats Coach Dad! :tt03: :tt03:

NEPAsteeler
08-25-2009, 07:16 PM
It's about damn time!

Much Congrats, Coach!

:tt02: :tt03: :tt02: :tt03: :tt02: :tt03:

MasterOfPuppets
08-25-2009, 07:28 PM
it's a shame it took woodson calling them out to get them to finally do it.....:doh:

steelwalls
08-25-2009, 07:31 PM
If a person deserves it it's definatly him. I'm so glad to see this, I know coaches are not suposed to be inducted untill 5 years after they're done (even though he had a terrific career as a player) so I was affraid they were not going to give him the go ahead.

Well deserved for so many reasons...

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-25-2009, 07:44 PM
I can't tell you how HAPPY I am to hear this...When Rod speaks people listen. Finally someone listened after 55 years.

The Great Hall should be embarrassed it took them this long.

:drink::drink::drink::tt03::tt02::applaudit::tt::t t::drink::drink::drink::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PisnNapalm
08-25-2009, 07:48 PM
It's about damn time!!! WOOHOO!!!

mesaSteeler
08-25-2009, 08:10 PM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

LeBeau a Hall of Fame finalist

Cornerback Dick LeBeau, perhaps better known as the Steelers defensive coordinator, and running back Floyd Little have been named by the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Seniors Committee as finalists for election into the Hall of Fame with the Class of 2010.

LeBeau and Little will join 15 still-to-be-named modern-era candidates on the list of finalists from which the Class of 2010 will be selected. The Hall of Fame selection meeting will be held on February 6, 2010, the day before Super Bowl XLIV in South Florida. To be elected, the former standouts must each receive the same 80 percent voting support that is required of all finalists. The Hall’s Board of Selectors can elect a maximum of two senior candidates and five modern-era candidates for a class no smaller than four or larger than seven during next February’s meeting.

LeBeau was originally drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the fifth round of the 1959 draft. (Typical losing move by the Clowns to cut LeBeau. - mesa) After being cut by the Browns, he was signed by Detroit where he starred for 14 seasons at cornerback for the Lions. He intercepted 62 passes which he returned for 762 yards and 3 TDs. His interception total ranked third all-time in NFL history at the time of his retirement following the 1972 season. Today, it remains a Lions team record and is tied for 7th among all-time NFL interceptors.

His single finest season came in 1970 when he intercepted a NFC-leading nine interceptions for 96 yards. LeBeau currently serves as the Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator and is entering his 37th year of coaching. As a player he was voted to three Pro Bowls. He received his Pro Bowl nods in 1965, 1966, and 1967.

This likely means that LeBeau will finally get his due and be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Every finalist for the past several years who has been selected by the senior committee has gained induction.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 5:04 PM 4 comments Links to this post

O Sensei
08-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Echoing the sentiment of all those posts before mine....It's about G D time! Bravo!:tt02::tt03::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

sharkweek
08-25-2009, 08:20 PM
I can hear the news broadcasts in Cinci now: "former Bengals head Dick LeBeau nominated for the Hall of Fame."
:toofunny:

That one mistake must have been what kept him out in the first place :flap:

alittlejazzbird
08-25-2009, 08:42 PM
LeBeau has odds working in his favor
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Aug 25, 2009

PITTSBURGH – Mike Tomlin gathered the team together after practice to tell them the good news:

Dick LeBeau had been nominated, along with Floyd Little, by the Seniors Committee as finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The two nominees will join 15 yet-to-be-determined finalists for a vote on Feb. 6, the day before the next Super Bowl, on a 4-7 man group of inductees for next summer’s inauguration in Canton, Ohio.

LeBeau was shocked by Tomlin’s announcement. As the players left the field, he lingered and seemed to watch the University of Pitt practice on the far field. But he was only considering the ramifications.

Since the Seniors Committee began nominating two finalists in 2004, nine of the 12 have been voted into the Hall of Fame. One of the three rejections, Bob Hayes, was voted in last year. In the previous 10 years, nine of the 10 Seniors nominees were inducted.

LeBeau is being hailed as “a lock” by those close to the 44-man nominating committee. He’ll need 80 percent approval in February, and he’s considered a safer bet than Little, who, in nine NFL seasons with the Denver Broncos, rushed for over 1,000 yards only one time.

LeBeau, of course, is the seventh all-time NFL leader in interceptions with 62 and still holds the NFL record for 171 consecutive starts by a cornerback. He’s entering his 52nd season in the league, the last five of which have been spent as the Steelers’ defensive coordinator.

“He has legitimate numbers that speak to a Hall of Fame caliber career as a player,” said Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin. “And he’s quite frankly a defensive innovator and trailblazer as a coach. You couple all of that into one human being, not only the fact he’s an awesome person, he’s a Hall of Fame guy in my opinion.”

That “Hall of Fame guy” stepped up to the podium minutes later and fought back his emotions.

“It’s a great honor to get this far, no matter what the final outcome is,” said the 71-year-old LeBeau. “I’m humbled by it. I grew up in a pretty small town. You don’t expect to have a day like this, so it was a pretty good day.”

He was asked if the nomination was overdue.

“Oh, no, I don’t think so,” he said. “I don’t think a day like this would ever be overdue. You just thank your lucky stars that it ever happened.”

Could LeBeau push humility aside and evaluate himself as the Detroit Lions’ cornerback from 1959 to 1972?

“As a player, I was kind of like I am as a coach,” he said. “I played in 171 straight games and I’m proud of that. Some of those days I didn’t really feel like playing football. I never missed a day of practice as a player and I’ve never missed a day of work as a coach. If I’ve done anything that’s noteworthy, it’s that. I’ve gotten in the harness and tried to pull my share of the load. That’s the way I played. I would do what I asked our players to do. I chased the ball, and if I could catch up with the guy that had it I would try to get him on the ground.”

LeBeau thanked the Steelers organization, Tomlin, Tom Donahoe and Gregg Williams for picking him up in Buffalo, and most of all his players.

“We have an unusual group of guys in Pittsburgh, both sides of the ball,” he said. “They just play. They don’t really look at the situation, they just play. I’m proud of them. There’s no question that they kept my name current with what they’ve done. They’ve gotten all of us, myself included, two championship rings and you can never thank them enough. This is just one more honor, and truthfully if they’re not playing the way they’re playing it doesn’t happen. I’m grateful to them. I’m grateful to the committee and all my friends that’ve helped me through the years. It’s a great day. It really is. It’s humbling, but I’m not going to turn it back in.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/891936.html

SteelersMongol
08-26-2009, 01:38 AM
So now do we get 2 vote or what?

RoethlisBURGHer
08-26-2009, 02:04 AM
So now do we get 2 vote or what?

It gets voted on by certain members of the media.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2009, 03:39 AM
LeBeau 'humbled' by Hall of Fame nomination
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 26, 2009

When Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called his team together at the conclusion of Tuesday's practice, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau was expecting a typical post-practice talk.

Instead, LeBeau received the surprise of his life.

Tomlin announced LeBeau was named by the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Senior Committee as a finalist for election into the Hall of Fame with the Class of 2010.

"That was the last thing I expected to hear,'' said LeBeau, who was genuinely taken aback by the honor. "I'm humbled.''

LeBeau's players reveled in the news. LeBeau has a unique relationship with members of the Steelers defense, who respect his innovative coaching methods as well as his easy communication style.

"I think this is long overdue,'' inside linebacker and defensive captain James Farrior said. "He revolutionized the zone blitz, and his contributions to the game are unparalleled. He deserves to be in as a player or coach. It couldn't go to a better person.''

LeBeau, who starred at cornerback for 14 seasons with the Detroit Lions, will join running back Floyd Little as Senior Committee finalists, along with 15 still-to-be-named modern-era candidates for election into the Hall.

The Hall of Fame selection meeting will be held the day before Super Bowl XLIV in South Florida. To be elected, nominees must receive the same 80 percent voting support that's required of all finalists. On Tuesday, members of the Senior Committee met in Canton, Ohio, to discuss the finalists. To be a senior nominee, an individual must have completed his active career by at least 25 years.

LeBeau, 71, started a record 171 consecutive games, and his 62 career interceptions are tied for seventh in NFL history. He is entering his 51st year in pro football -- 37 as a coach, 14 as a player.

Last season, LeBeau's unit led the league in total defense, pass defense and points allowed per game while finishing second against the run.

"I've got an unusual group of guys on both sides of the ball,'' LeBeau said. "There's no question they've kept my name current with what they've done. I'm grateful to them, and I'm grateful to the committee and all my friends through the years.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_640049.html

Galax Steeler
08-26-2009, 03:39 AM
This is great news way to go Coach.:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Aussie_steeler
08-26-2009, 05:31 AM
LeBeau thanked the Steelers organization, Tomlin, Tom Donahoe and Gregg Williams for picking him up in Buffalo, and most of all his players.

“We have an unusual group of guys in Pittsburgh, both sides of the ball,” he said. “They just play. They don’t really look at the situation, they just play. I’m proud of them. There’s no question that they kept my name current with what they’ve done. They’ve gotten all of us, myself included, two championship rings and you can never thank them enough. This is just one more honor, and truthfully if they’re not playing the way they’re playing it doesn’t happen. I’m grateful to them. I’m grateful to the committee and all my friends that’ve helped me through the years. It’s a great day. It really is. It’s humbling, but I’m not going to turn it back in.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/891936.html

Its nice to see someone so humble and grateful. I think if you asked all the players who have played under Coach Le Beau they would all say that they are the priviliged ones who were fortunate enough to be in the right place with an absolute defensive genius.

Hang around for a few more years Dick and you may well drag a few more steelers along with you into the HOF.

SteelersMongol
08-26-2009, 08:40 PM
It gets voted on by certain members of the media.

I C. So who do V have 2 threaten or bribe? :chuckle: Just kidding. I'm sure Mr. LeBeau will get in there with no trouble at all.

Cheppy
08-26-2009, 08:44 PM
If he gets in I'm taking off work to see his induction live. It would also be my first trip to the hall.

SteelMember
08-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Steelers Notebook: Polamalu endorses LeBeau for Hall
Thursday, August 27, 2009
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

If Troy Polamalu had a vote, he would have enshrined Dick LeBeau in the Pro Football Hall of Fame long before now.

"As a football player, a special-teams coach, a position coach, a coordinator, a head coach, nobody has done it all like he has," the Pro Bowl safety said yesterday, the day after the Steelers' longtime defensive coordinator was nominated as one of two senior candidates to join 15 modern-day finalists in the February voting for enshrinement. "He's done everything but own a team. He's more deserving than Vince Lombardi, if you're talking to me.

"It's because he was a coach the whole time, you know," Polamalu said of Lombardi, noting the 36 years of LeBeau's NFL service.

"Somebody like coach LeBeau who knows what it's like to be out of the front office and take bumps and bruises like these guys, players respect that. That's why I feel a player's Hall of Fame would be much different than it is now.

"I would argue with anybody that there's nobody more deserving in football to be in the Hall of Fame than him."

The record 171 consecutive starts at cornerback, the seventh-most interceptions of all time at 62, you can push those numbers aside, Polamalu added. "Never even missed a practice? That's the most impressive thing."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger also spoke on LeBeau's behalf.

"Coach LeBeau and I have a special relationship," Roethlisberger said.

"We are very close. We hold hands in the team prayer before [games]. We spend a lot of time golfing and hanging out. I couldn't be more proud. He is an unbelievable coach. More than an unbelievable coach, he is an unbelievable person. Anybody who spends 10 seconds around him, there is an aura or something that comes off him, and you realize how special he is."

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/09239/993567-66.stm#ixzz0PNvGZNFL

alittlejazzbird
08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
If he gets in I'm taking off work to see his induction live. It would also be my first trip to the hall.

Same here. Can't wait!

Steelboy84
08-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Its about dang time.

:tt: :tt03: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

tony hipchest
08-29-2009, 12:49 PM
did anyone besides me find this extremely odd?-

he thanked tomlin and donahoe but not bill cowher who was his boss twice? :huh:

perhaps there was a rift there. cowher did hold him back, and its no coincidence that lebeaus 2 best defenses have been under tomlin who doesnt micro manage.

look at the fantastic offense whiz runs in az. look at bobby april, now the special teams coach of the year. and then sb champ lebeau. :noidea:

maybe i am reading too much into it, but i find it a bit strange he didnt offer him thanks.

Hotrodder07
08-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Finally! He deserves it as much as anybody. That just made my day. :tt02: