PDA

View Full Version : Registered to say this

runforthestars
08-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm not a Steelers fan, but I was reading your forum out of interest in the NFL in general. A lot of you seem to be complaining about the running game last year, that it'll be better this year, that you have more depth, Parker and Mendenhall...or however it's spelled.... are healthy.

I just wanted to say that the running backs weren't the problem last year, it was the O-Line, and unless that's fixed, you're going to have a repeat performance of the run game of last year.

fansince'76
08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Thank you and I agree. However, many don't, because many seem to have romanticized and very inaccurate memories of Bettis picking up 8 yards a carry without fail with multiple defenders dangling from his limbs. He didn't.

JackHammer
08-25-2009, 02:16 PM
I couldn't agree more.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Oh really?

So Willie Parker's knee and shoulder injuries had nothing to do with it at all? The fact that Moore's a good back but isn't a starting quality back had nothing to do with it? And Mendenhall missing most of the year with his broken shoulder also didn't contribute to it.

I think the run game will be better this season. Our offensive line will be more cohesive having played most of the season together. Not to mention the run game looked good towards the end of the season and in the playoff win against the Chargers.

Just curious, what team are you a fan of?

runforthestars
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Oh really?

So Willie Parker's knee and shoulder injuries had nothing to do with it at all? The fact that Moore's a good back but isn't a starting quality back had nothing to do with it? And Mendenhall missing most of the year with his broken shoulder also didn't contribute to it.

I think the run game will be better this season. Our offensive line will be more cohesive having played most of the season together. Not to mention the run game looked good towards the end of the season and in the playoff win against the Chargers.

Minnesota

RoethlisBURGHer
08-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Minnesota

Can we borrow Peterson? :rofl:

fansince'76
08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Oh really?

Although I also agree that Parker's and Mendenhall's injuries had something to do with it, I don't know if I've ever seen a Steelers team get stoned on the goal line and in short yardage situations so often and consistently due to a lack of push from the OL as last year. We used to blow people off the ball and we simply don't anymore. However, we did play against a lot of excellent defenses as well. It's a combination of things, but the OL was definitely a big part of it.

08-25-2009, 02:45 PM
I do not think you can blame last years poor running game on any one facet. I think it was a combination of poor line play, injuries to our top two backs, and I also think our current offensive scheme has something to do with it. We no longer have a true blocking full back on the team. And our current OC seems to be just as content with using short passes to our WRs, as he does running the ball on first and second down. This year we will have to wait and see. You would think if our backs can stay healthy, and the young guys on the line continue to improve, the run game will also improve.

NJarhead
08-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, those RB's (who ever makes the team) had better be the difference this year because we neglected to address our o-line issues.

HometownGal
08-25-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm not a Steelers fan, but I was reading your forum out of interest in the NFL in general. A lot of you seem to be complaining about the running game last year, that it'll be better this year, that you have more depth, Parker and Mendenhall...or however it's spelled.... are healthy.

I just wanted to say that the running backs weren't the problem last year, it was the O-Line, and unless that's fixed, you're going to have a repeat performance of the run game of last year.

Thank you for your post and I agree with you. :drink: I'm sure Coaches Tomlin and Z are going to be on that OL like flies on shit this season and if the starters don't get 'r done, we have a couple of rooks and 2nd year players with a lot of potential waiting in the wings. :hope:

BUT - obviously you didn't know that the REAL problem with the Steelers rushing attack is Bruce Arians our OC - silly you. :chuckle:

7SteelGal43
08-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Can we borrow Peterson? :rofl:

yo'.....adrian

LVSteelersfan
08-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Thank you for your post and I agree with you. :drink: I'm sure Coaches Tomlin and Z are going to be on that OL like flies on shit this season and if the starters don't get 'r done, we have a couple of rooks and 2nd year players with a lot of potential waiting in the wings. :hope:

BUT - obviously you didn't know that the REAL problem with the Steelers rushing attack is Bruce Arians our OC - silly you. :chuckle:

Yeah, you have finally seen the light. Get rid of Arians and our problems go away automatically. Then it will be all Willie Parker's fault. I wish it was that simple. Problem is a team can only focus on so many areas in this salary cap strapped league. Oline is the one they chose not to throw a lot of bucks at. It means special teams and Defense have to win the day week after week.

Indo
08-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Minnesota

What's the fans' take on the Brett Fav-ra deal? Are you glad to see him? ( given your other options, I think I would be, even if he has become a bit flaky in his old age)

Hapa
08-25-2009, 04:26 PM
I honestly believe that if Peterson was on the Steelers, he would not be a pro-bowl back. I think most people who've played real football as a linemen (not as a running back tho lol... dam prima donnas) would agree with me.

revefsreleets
08-25-2009, 04:29 PM
The Oline, Coach Z and Parker (even when injured) are completely fine.

It's ALL Arians fault.

WWII?
Arians fault.

The deficit?
Arians fault.

Elvis' death (and now Michael Jackson's, too)?
Arians fault.

Please don't come on this board with logical well-thought out explanations that call attention to the complexities of the game on THIS board: We like it simple and stupid. Find one guy and burn him at the stake!

(Seriously...nice post!)

PeckerWood
08-25-2009, 05:04 PM
isn't Arians a Winning Superbowl offensive coordinator? didn't he do that with a banged up runningback and poor offensive line play last year?

Go Steelers

wootawnee
08-25-2009, 05:27 PM
The biggest mistake of our offense last season was the 3 tight-end package.......I have watched every game, probably more than some of the coachs, and I cannot remember one single play that it worked........It has a terrible vibe to it and it does not work.....Defenses know what is coming........This is one of Arians' all time blunders......Somewhere along the line the last couple of seasons, our screens have become ineffective.......Our 05 superbowl run they were great....I also remember Dookie running them well too.......Someone has to step up and address this issue if we are to get better on that side of the ball........We have to run and pass out of the 2 receiver/2 tight- end set......That is the best set to run play action out of.......This thing with no receivers and all tight ends is ineffective and not intimidating in the least.....You need speed on the field all the time..........That is what makes the safties stay back......They can recover with the big slower tight ends and can cram up in the box........

HometownGal
08-25-2009, 05:41 PM
The biggest mistake of our offense last season was the 3 tight-end package.......I have watched every game, probably more than some of the coachs, and I cannot remember one single play that it worked........It has a terrible vibe to it and it does not work.....Defenses know what is coming........This is one of Arians' all time blunders......Somewhere along the line the last couple of seasons, our screens have become ineffective.......Our 05 superbowl run they were great....I also remember Dookie running them well too.......Someone has to step up and address this issue if we are to get better on that side of the ball........We have to run and pass out of the 2 receiver/2 tight- end set......That is the best set to run play action out of.......This thing with no receivers and all tight ends is ineffective and not intimidating in the least.....You need speed on the field all the time..........That is what makes the safties stay back......They can recover with the big slower tight ends and can cram up in the box........

Get that resume in pronto buddy - you could be the answer to all of the problems with the Steelers Super Bowl winning offense. :coffee:

Fire Haley
08-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Some Steelers fans just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. It's the law.

And of course, for the real geniuses, all those thousands of hours at Madden GM school would go to waste.

SteelCityMan786
08-25-2009, 05:50 PM

Hey can you blame the guy for having common sense? It was the O-Line that almost hindered the Steelers. Funny Part is, that O-Line was the same bad O-Line the Steelers won a Super Bowl with.

SteelCityMan786
08-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Some Steelers fans just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. It's the law.

And of course, for the real geniuses, all those thousands of hours at Madden GM school would go to waste.

Yes those that feel Madden strategies always work in real Football. In reality, they don't.

mmalone
08-25-2009, 05:57 PM

i agree and will burn at the stake with you.....

you cant talk plays here... they will tell you your wrong everytime, but not tell whats right..

thats the wierd thing?

i keep thinking im watching a different offense on my tv, maybe i need to pay the premium channel package to get the better offense that they watch.. im such a cheap a-- with the basic cable. :wave:

go defense win another big one for us.....

:tt03:

steeltheone
08-25-2009, 06:08 PM
We all knew this was a problem, no secret. If Big Ben could not move we would not have made the post season. We did have a schedule from hell though..

sharkweek
08-25-2009, 08:29 PM
We lost Mendenhall for most of the season and Parker's injuries kept him well below 100% for most of the season as well.

The problem was not just the OL. When Mewelde Moore came in he did just fine @ RB, the problem was there wasn't any sort of consistency due to injuries to our #1 and #2 RBs, and when you're thin at the position with unproven/inexperienced/less talented guys, you can't exactly pound away with the ball and just cross your fingers you'll find success.

The running game is much like a boxing match. Sure, it helps to have a solid body to launch your punches from (the OL), but when you start the fight, you can't expect the first few punches to send your opponent reeling. And if you don't have a left or a right hook (#1 or #2 RB), you're not going to land any punches at all...the Steelers got by last year by throwing some elbows when they had Moore backing up.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-25-2009, 08:33 PM
The Steelers did have decent rushing days against the Giants and Chargers, both ranked in the top 11 in rushing defense last year. And otherwise racked up good rushing days against the likes of Houston, Cleveland, Cinci, etc which is expected.

But, the Vikings fan has to recognize that the weak link of the O line, Darnell Stapleton is being quickly replaced by 330 lb Trai Essex and other youngsters like Doug Legursky Kraig Urbik and Ramon Foster appear ready to improve the push on the line. Add the lead blocking of McHugh and possibly rookie David Johnson....and we may have an improved rushing attack to add to the Super Bowl champions drive for 7!!!!

wootawnee
08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Get that resume in pronto buddy - you could be the answer to all of the problems with the Steelers Super Bowl winning offense. :coffee:

Yea I could be.....But defenses always make new ones.....Or they could sit back and kick it on their laurels and go 8-8 like 06......

Steelers & I
08-25-2009, 11:18 PM

Ding-Ding-Ding, we have a correct response. :flap:

ricksteelers55
08-26-2009, 02:13 AM
Yeah...all the OL faults.....

COME ON !!! How come that same OL was capable of blocking decently and having a couple of 100 yds games but against some other teams they wouldnt do nothing ?

Maybe because we can give credit to the other teams D ???

Let's be realistic we had the toughest schedule in NFL since I dont know when in the 70's

it had nothing to do with the OL(they are way better run blocker than pass blocker)

You will see a big improvement this year and now suddenly people will start to say How fast they've improved compared to last year when we all know that 10 out of 16 meetings were against playoffs teams,you can have the best OL in the world you will not put up the best numbers.

Sure we dont have the best OL of the league but our poor running game was the result of a couple of things

-should have split more the carries between Parker and Moore to change the pace(look at the ravens use of their backfield)
-injuries in the backfield didnt help(even though I hate using excuses it didnt help to have our starting RB totally banged up with injuries all year long)
-tough D that we met(Philly,Baltimore twice,Giants,Redskins,Colts,Pats,Cowboys and Titans) are tough to play against
-3 new starters up front

and even with that we finished 23rd on the ground and got the ring.

But I dont think it's the OL's fault too easy to blame only 1 group

my opinion

SteelCityKing
08-26-2009, 06:05 AM

wow! thank you oh so very much for your insights. we surely do appreciate it. tell us something we don't already know. :coffee:

a Vikings fan? are you ready to lose the division for the Lions this year? haha! kidding! i like the Vikings this year...just not against Pittsburgh. good luck purple people eaters! ha!

HometownGal
08-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Ding-Ding-Ding, we have a correct response. :flap:

Hey - get your resume in, too, and give wootawnee a little competition. :thumbsup::flap:

SteelMember
08-26-2009, 07:08 AM
The Steelers did have decent rushing days against the Giants and Chargers, both ranked in the top 11 in rushing defense last year. And otherwise racked up good rushing days against the likes of Houston, Cleveland, Cinci, etc which is expected.

But, the Vikings fan has to recognize that the weak link of the O line, Darnell Stapleton is being quickly replaced by 330 lb Trai Essex and other youngsters like Doug Legursky Kraig Urbik and Ramon Foster appear ready to improve the push on the line. Add the lead blocking of McHugh and possibly rookie David Johnson....and we may have an improved rushing attack to add to the Super Bowl champions drive for 7!!!!

Kool-Aid drinker! :toast: :chuckle:

revefsreleets
08-26-2009, 09:45 AM
I LOVE armchair OC's...they are always right! My true favorites are the one's who don't even really understand how a pro football offense works, and try to apply Pee Wee football principles to offenses at the highest level...well, them and Madden OC's.

Vis
08-26-2009, 10:59 AM
I LOVE armchair OC's...they are always right! My true favorites are the one's who don't even really understand how a pro football offense works, and try to apply Pee Wee football principles to offenses at the highest level...well, them and Madden OC's.

I think the Steelers should sign the kid from the next county and lie about where he lives. He can outrun anyone.

revefsreleets
08-26-2009, 11:26 AM
I think the Steelers should sign the kid from the next county and lie about where he lives. He can outrun anyone.

"Well, If I was the OC (pulling up pants with thumbs), I'd show those guys how to run a REAL offense! We'd run two fullbacks on every play, and draft 5 400 lb lineman, ALL from Penn State. We'd only throw bombs, cuz short passes is for pussies. I'd also find a 300 lb running back and hand the ball to him 60 times a game right up the middle and dare those suns uh bitches to stop it. Yessirree, if I was the offensive coordinator, shit would git done right!"

Dino 6 Rings
08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Don't need to run when you can throw every down. 5 WIDE throw deep to Wallace!!!

Sarc Smiley Needed on this one Folks.