PDA

View Full Version : MMQB Mailbag: 10 rookies who've impressed;

mesaSteeler
08-25-2009, 09:20 PM
MMQB Mailbag: 10 rookies who've impressed;
Peter King
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/25/mail/index.html?eref=sihpT1

You guys are all fired up over the Dallas Cowboys videoboard, and we'll get to that. But first, Tim of Modesto, Calif., has a question about rookies:

"Glen Coffee looks like the unquestioned steal of the draft up to this point (granted the season hasn't started). Is he the most impressive rookie you've seen three weeks into training camp? If not, who is?''

I love Coffee, the first real good backup the 49ers have had for Frank Gore, who has a long injury history. Here are the 10 rookies I've seen who've impressed me in the preseason:

1. Percy Harvin, WR/KR, Minnesota (22nd pick). Impact player beginning opening day.

2. Glen Coffee, RB, San Francisco (74th pick). Nice burst, reliable, excellent Gore insurance.

3. James Laurinaitis, LB, St. Louis (35th pick). Took over starting mike 'backer job after three pro practices.

4. Ziggy Hood, DL, Pittsburgh (32nd pick). The next Casey Hampton, with some pass-rush ability.

5. Alphonso Smith, CB, Denver (37th pick). Faces tremendous pressure if Broncos have a bad year because Denver gave up next year's first-rounder to get him.

6. LeSean McCoy, RB, Philadelphia (53rd pick). Has picked up the blocking and receiving parts of the Philly offense quickly.

7. Julian Edelman, WR/all-purpose, New England (232nd pick). Could be Wes Welker. Could be a wildcat QB.

8. Nic Harris, LB, Buffalo (147th pick). Could be special-teams demon while waiting for a defensive role.

9. Austin Collie, WR, Indianapolis (127th pick). Could play 20 snaps as Manning's slot receiver opening day.

10. Stefan Logan, RB/KR, Pittsburgh (undrafted). Said it Monday: Steelers have to find a roster spot for this return man.

(All hail the Steelers front office. Two rookies doing very well and one of them an undrafed free agent. - mesa)

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Too bad Banks is comparing Hood DE to Hampton NT, who weighs 30lbs more than Ziggy does.

Why doesnt he just put 11. Mike Wallace on the list and call him Eric Green with more speed?? :doh:

Don Banks can often look like a golf reporter writing about football.

Psyychoward86
08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Should we really be speculating if Ziggy is gonna play some NT for us?

devilsdancefloor
08-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Too bad Banks is comparing Hood DE to Hampton NT, who weighs 30lbs more than Ziggy does.

Why doesnt he just put 11. Mike Wallace on the list and call him Eric Green with more speed?? :doh:

Don Banks can often look like a golf reporter writing about football.

i havent laughed so hard in a long time and i really need it! :tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-26-2009, 01:40 AM
i havent laughed so hard in a long time and i really need it! :tt03:

Thanks. I'm here all week...........try the veal.:thumbsup:

SteelersinCA
08-26-2009, 02:29 AM
Didn't another "sportswriter" just say that Hampton was a great pass rusher too? So if we believe both of them...brain hurts...

Galax Steeler
08-26-2009, 04:45 AM
We have an undrafted rookie at no.10 hope he can keep up the good work.

sharkweek
08-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Should we really be speculating if Ziggy is gonna play some NT for us?

IIRC, Hampton is listed @ 325lbs and Hoke @ 305lbs, with Ziggy @ 300lbs. He's also a couple inches taller so there's potential.

Hampton (soon to be 32) and Hoke (33) are also getting up there in age, and Hampton's going to up be for free agency after this season. And considering Brett Keisel, Ryan Clark, and Willie Parker are some other potential free agents, Hampton definitely isn't any sort of lock to remain on.

Hoke has been great at the position, but we'd need a backup, and that's something I could see Hood transition into while he plays DE in the meantime.

Although maybe Peter King is just completely confused about Ziggy Hood and can't fathom Hood remaining a DE at his size.

RJC
08-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Hood will put on about 20-30 lbs over the next 2 seasons, and he'll play at the weight the Steelers want Hampton. He will make the move to NT. Just like Timmons was drafted to play 3-4 OLB, but was moved to ILB. Position flexibility boys, it's Tomlin's core belief....

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Hood will put on about 20-30 lbs over the next 2 seasons, and he'll play at the weight the Steelers want Hampton. He will make the move to NT. Just like Timmons was drafted to play 3-4 OLB, but was moved to ILB. Position flexibility boys, it's Tomlin's core belief....

:rofl:

Ziggy Hood will not replace Casey Hampton at NT in the future. Write it down and take it to the bank!!! If anybody does it will be Sonny Harris, but I doubt that too.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2009, 10:15 AM

So...you are thinking that we have drafted a DT...spent months training him to be a VERY good 3-4 Defensive End...so that we can fatten him up and then spend months training him to be a Nose Tackle. Thereby leaving us so thin at the position that we need to find someone who we can spend months training to be a VERY good 3-4 Defensive End?

:wtf:

revefsreleets
08-26-2009, 10:49 AM
3. James Laurinaitis, LB, St. Louis (35th pick). Took over starting mike 'backer job after three pro practices.

You know, I'm just sayin'.....

Vis
08-26-2009, 12:01 PM

You know, I'm just sayin'.....

From whom?

fansince'76
08-26-2009, 12:11 PM
IIRC, Hampton is listed @ 325lbs....

Hampton at 325? Hampton probably hasn't seen 325 since high school. :chuckle:

SteelMember
08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Hampton at 325? Hampton probably hasn't seen 325 since high school. :chuckle:

or his shoes.

http://jeffpicard.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/rim-shot-johnny-utah.thumbnail.jpg

revefsreleets
08-26-2009, 12:28 PM
From whom?

Irrelevant...only 5% of rooks start, and Farrior ain't no spring chicken.

Steeldude
08-26-2009, 12:52 PM
4. Ziggy Hood, DL, Pittsburgh (32nd pick). The next Casey Hampton, with some pass-rush ability

he is better suited for the end.

KeiselPower99
08-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Notice no rookie QBs on that list?

Vis
08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Irrelevant...only 5% of rooks start, and Farrior ain't no spring chicken.

Relevant because you could start for the rams

revefsreleets
08-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Relevant because you could start for the rams

Irrelevant because only 5% of rookies start...so roughly 13 of 256 players. And this board was mostly convinced that Laurinaitis was slow and overrated. I don't care WHO you are, you DON'T waltz into the NFL as a rookie and takeover the starting position in 3 practices.

Also relevant because several Buckeyes will most likely be starting on day one. Jenkins, Laurinaitis and Wells are almost sure bets, and of the other 4, there is some hope for Robiskie, Washington and Freeman as well. 5% of 7 players means that zero SHOULD start, and there's a solid 3 that will, and the possibility of even more.