PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ted Kennedy

nojobny
08-26-2009, 12:50 AM
(CNN) -- Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy, the patriarch of the first family of Democratic politics, died Wednesday at his home in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, after a lengthy battle with brain cancer. He was 77.

"We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever," a family statement said. "We thank everyone who gave him care and support over this last year, and everyone who stood with him for so many years in his tireless march for progress toward justice."

Kennedy, nicknamed "Ted," was the younger brother of slain President John F. Kennedy and New York Sen. Robert Kennedy, who was gunned down while seeking the White House in 1968. However, his own presidential aspirations were hobbled by the controversy around a 1969 auto accident that left a young woman dead, and a 1980 primary challenge to then-President Jimmy Carter that ended in defeat.

But while the White House eluded his grasp, the longtime Massachusetts senator was considered one of the most effective legislators of the past few decades. Kennedy, who became known as the "Lion of the Senate," played major roles in passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act and the 1993 Family and Medical Leave Act, and was an outspoken liberal standard-bearer during a conservative-dominated era from the 1980s to the early 2000s.

"Senator Ted Kennedy's legacy in the United States Senate is comparable and consistent with the legacy of his entire family for generations," Kennedy's biographer, Ted Sorensen, said.

Kennedy suffered a seizure in May 2008 at his home on Cape Cod. Shortly after, doctors diagnosed a brain tumor -- a malignant glioma in his left parietal lobe.

Surgeons at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina, removed as much of the tumor as possible the following month. Doctors considered the procedure a success, and Kennedy underwent follow-up radiation treatments and chemotherapy.

A few weeks later, he participated in a key vote in the Senate. He also insisted on making a brief but dramatic appearance at the 2008 Democratic convention, a poignant moment that brought the crowd to its feet and tears to many eyes.

"I have come here tonight to stand with you to change America, to restore its future, to rise to our best ideals and to elect Barack Obama president of the United States," Kennedy told fellow Democrats in a strong voice.

Kennedy's early support for Obama was considered a boon for the candidate, then a first-term senator from Illinois locked in a tough primary battle against former first lady Hillary Clinton. Kennedy predicted Obama's victory and pledged to be in Washington in January when Obama assumed office -- and he was, though he was hospitalized briefly after suffering a seizure during a post-inaugural luncheon.

Kennedy was one of only six senators in U.S. history to serve more than 40 years. He was elected to eight full terms to become the second most-senior senator after West Virginia Democrat Robert Byrd.

He launched his political career in 1962, when he was elected to finish the unexpired Senate term of his brother, who became president in 1960. He won his first full term in 1964.

He seemed to have a bright political future, and many Democratic eyes turned to him after the killings of his brothers. But a July 18, 1969, car wreck on Chappaquiddick Island virtually ended his ambitions.

After a party for women who had worked on his brother Robert's presidential campaign, Kennedy drove his car off a bridge on Chappaquiddick, off Cape Cod and across a narrow channel from Martha's Vineyard. While Kennedy managed to escape, his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, drowned.

In a coroner's inquest, he denied having been drunk, and said he made "seven or eight" attempts to save Kopechne before exhaustion forced him to shore. Although he sought help from friends at the party, Kennedy did not report the accident to police until the following morning.

Kennedy eventually pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident. In a televised address to residents of his home state, Kennedy called his conduct in the hours following the accident "inexplicable" and called his failure to report the wreck immediately "indefensible."

Despite the dent in his reputation and career, Kennedy remained in American politics and went on to win seven more terms in the Senate. Kennedy championed social causes and was the author of "In Critical Condition: The Crisis in America's Health Care." He served as chairman of the Judiciary and Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions committees and was the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary and Armed Services committees during periods when Republicans controlled the chamber.

Obama named Kennedy as one of 16 recipients of the 2009 Presidential Medal of Freedom, America's highest civilian honor. A White House statement explained that the 2009 honorees "were chosen for their work as agents of change."

"Senator Kennedy has dedicated his career to fighting for equal opportunity, fairness and justice for all Americans. He has worked tirelessly to ensure that every American has access to quality and affordable health care, and has succeeded in doing so for countless children, seniors, and Americans with disabilities. He has called health care reform the "cause of his life."

Born in Boston on February 22, 1932, Edward Moore Kennedy was the last of nine children of Joseph P. Kennedy, a prominent businessman and Democrat, and Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy. Joseph Kennedy served as ambassador to Britain before World War II and pushed his sons to strive for the presidency, a burden "Teddy" bore for much of his life as the only surviving Kennedy son.

His oldest brother, Joe Jr., died in a plane crash during World War II when Kennedy was 12. John was assassinated in Dallas, Texas, in 1963, and Robert was killed the night of the California primary in 1968.

Ted Kennedy delivered Robert's eulogy, urging mourners to remember him as "a good and decent man who saw wrong and tried to right it; who saw suffering and tried to heal it; who saw war and tried to stop it."

The family was plagued with other tragedies as well. One sister, Kathleen, was killed in a plane crash in 1948. Another sister, Rosemary, was born mildly retarded, but was institutionalized after a botched lobotomy in 1941. She died in 1986 after more than 50 years in mental hospitals.

Joseph Kennedy was incapacitated by a stroke in 1961 and died in November 1969, leaving the youngest son as head of the family. He was 37.

"I can't let go," Kennedy once told an aide. "If I let go, Ethel (Robert's widow) will let go, and my mother will let go, and all my sisters."

Kennedy himself survived a 1964 plane crash that killed an aide, suffering a broken back in the accident. But he recovered to lead the seemingly ill-starred clan through a series of other tragedies: Robert Kennedy's son David died of a drug overdose in a Florida hotel in 1984; another of Robert's sons, Michael, was killed in a skiing accident in Colorado in 1997; and John's son John Jr., his wife Carolyn and sister-in-law Lauren Bessette died in a 1999 plane crash off Martha's Vineyard.

In addition, his son Edward Jr. lost a leg to cancer in the 1970s, and daughter Kara survived a bout with the disease in the early 2000s.

Kennedy was forced to testify about a bar-hopping weekend that led to sexual battery charges against his nephew, William Kennedy Smith. Smith was acquitted in 1991 of charges that he raped a woman he met while at a Florida nightclub with the senator and his son Patrick, now a Rhode Island congressman.

Like brothers John and Robert, Edward Kennedy attended Harvard. He studied in the Netherlands before earning a law degree from the University of Virginia Law School, and worked in the district attorney's office in Boston before entering politics.

Kennedy is survived by his second wife, Victoria Ann Reggie Kennedy, whom he married in 1992; his first wife, Joan Bennett; and five children -- Patrick, Kara and Edward Jr. from his first marriage, and Curran and Caroline Raclin from his second.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/26/obit.ted.kennedy/index.html

SteelersinCA
08-26-2009, 12:59 AM
and everyone who stood with him for so many years in his tireless march for progress toward justice."

Like Justice for Mary Jo Kopechne? Or justice for covertly traveling to Moscow at the height of the cold war for his own political gain? That kind of justice, Kennedy family? Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Edit: Maybe I was harsh, condolences to his family, but I'm not losing sleep.

7SteelGal43
08-26-2009, 01:22 AM
R.I.P. Senator Kennedy....and may God comfort his family and friends at this time. Amen.

Preacher
08-26-2009, 01:41 AM
R.I.P. Senator Kennedy....and may God comfort his family and friends at this time. Amen.

Thank you... there are many things I SINCERELY dislike about the man and his politics.

But that is a horrible way to die. Furthermore, his family has been through utter hell for decades.

I hope they can all have some peace and comfort for a while now. What a sad tragedy that family has endured.

ohiosteelerfan20
08-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Like Justice for Mary Jo Kopechne? Or justice for covertly traveling to Moscow at the height of the cold war for his own political gain? That kind of justice, Kennedy family? Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Edit: Maybe I was harsh, condolences to his family, but I'm not losing sleep.
Clinging to anger is no way to live. Get help.

Galax Steeler
08-26-2009, 03:57 AM
R.I.P. Ted

stillers4me
08-26-2009, 05:14 AM
Clinging to anger is no way to live. Get help.

Tell that to Mary Jo Kopechne's family.

Sorry for the Kennedy clan.

KeiselPower99
08-26-2009, 06:51 AM
I feel for the family. Cancer is the worst illness in the world. Personally I dont care for the guy and think he rode his brothers coattails til the end.

Venom
08-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Rest In Peace Murderer

Fire Haley
08-26-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm not much for dancing on graves - so we all should find something positive to say, -- "He was a good swimmer"

The Kennedy clan lives on.

His son:

Patrick Joseph Kennedy II is a Democrat serving in the United States House of Representatives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_J._Kennedy

Kennedy has acknowledged being treated for cocaine use during his teenage years, and admitted that he abused drugs and alcohol while he was a student at Providence College. He sought treatment for an OxyContin addiction in 2006.

On May 4, 2006, Kennedy crashed his 1997 Ford Mustang convertible into a barricade on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. at 2:45 a.m. An official said the congressman had appeared intoxicated when he crashed his car, but Kennedy claimed that he was merely disoriented from prescription medications.

Right off the old block.

HometownGal
08-26-2009, 07:26 AM
I had very little respect for Senator Kennedy for a whole lot of reasons, but battling cancer is one of the toughest battles anyone can face in life imho. He battled it courageously and I give him props for that. :tombstone: Senator.

cubanstogie
08-26-2009, 07:27 AM
My parents used to say "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all." I am taking their advice on this one. I will ask a hypothetical question though. Is someone on this board actually going to post a RIP when OJ dies :banging::banging:

KeiselPower99
08-26-2009, 08:22 AM
My parents used to say "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all." I am taking their advice on this one. I will ask a hypothetical question though. Is someone on this board actually going to post a RIP when OJ dies :banging::banging:
As a football player maybe but human no.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Ted Kennedy's passing fills me with sorrow for the Kennedy family and hope for the Senate.

'nuff said.

Fire Haley
08-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Next up

Obama: In honor of Ted Kennedy, we must pass the Health Care Reform Bill

...because it's what he would have wanted...sniff...sniff

revefsreleets
08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Ted Kennedy's passing fills me with sorrow for the Kennedy family and hope for the Senate.

'nuff said.

That's not a half bad way of handling this...

He was the worst of the clan, and ironically the longest lived.

Anyway, R.I.P.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Next up

Obama: In honor of Ted Kennedy, we must pass the Health Care Reform Bill

If our Healthcare system is so bad..why didnt Ted Kennedy leave the country for his procedures?

We have the best Healthcare in the world...and Kennedy proved that by his actions...he is the LAST person that should be used as a poster child for reform.

The_WARDen
08-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Wow! The level of disrespectfulness is amazing in this thread.

RIP!

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2009, 09:41 AM

RIP!

I may not agree with everything that has been said in here...but make no mistake...Ted Kennedy epitomized all that is wrong with career politicians. My heart goes out to those who called him "Dad" or "Grandpa".

..but I find little sympathy for a man who drove drunk, killed a young lady and avoided prosecution for it...Who was kicked out of Harvard for cheating...Who used political pull to smear the name of a young lady raped by his nephew...and whos career was less "merited than inherited"

I respect those who deserve it and those whose position deserves it...I feel bad for the Kennedy family but find no place in my heart to warrant respect for Ted Kennedy.

SteelCityMan786
08-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I may not have always agreed with him, but battling Cancer while doing your job, is something to admire him for.

RIP Senator.

SteelersinCA
08-26-2009, 09:56 AM
I may not agree with everything that has been said in here...but make no mistake...Ted Kennedy epitomized all that is wrong with career politicians. My heart goes out to those who called him "Dad" or "Grandpa".

..but I find little sympathy for a man who drove drunk, killed a young lady and avoided prosecution for it...Who was kicked out of Harvard for cheating...Who used political pull to smear the name of a young lady raped by his nephew...and whos career was less "merited than inherited"

I respect those who deserve it and those whose position deserves it...I feel bad for the Kennedy family but find no place in my heart to warrant respect for Ted Kennedy.

Right on, respect is earned not gifted. Does it get much worse than treason and murder? At least OJ has a leg up on him with treason.

Venom
08-26-2009, 10:10 AM
As soon as cancer was found, I noticed the immediate attempt at canonization of old Teddy by the main stream media .. telling us what a "great American" he is.

I say, let's get a couple things clear & not twist the facts to change the real history .. he was caught cheating at Harvard .. while attending, he was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him... While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two.. great .. the man can't count to four .. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England, pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea, where a war was raging... no preferential treatment for him like he charged President Bush received ... Kennedy was assigned to Paris, never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged... imagine a person of his "education" NEVER advancing past the rank of Private ...

While attending law school at the University of Virginia , he was cited for reckless driving four times, including once when he was clocked driving 90 miles per hour in a residential neighbourhood with his headlights off after dark. Yet his Virginia driver's license was never revoked. He passed the bar exam in 1959 ... amazing !! In 1964, he was seriously injured in a plane crash, and hospitalized for several months. Test results done by the hospital at the time he was admitted had shown he was DUI .. the results of those test remained a "state secret" until in the 1980's when the report was unsealed ..

On 19 July 1969, Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick Island in Massachusetts At about 11:00 PM, he borrowed his chauffeur's keys to his Oldsmobile limousine, and offered to give a ride home to Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker. Leaving the island via an unlit bridge with no guard rail, Kennedy steered the car off the bridge, flipped, and into Poucha Pond. He swam to shore and walked back to the party -- passing several houses and a fire station -- and two friends returned with him to the scene of the accident. According to their later testimony, they told him what he already knew, that he was required by law to immediately report the accident to the authorities. Instead Kennedy made his way to his hotel, called his lawyer, and went to sleep.

Kennedy called the police the next morning. By then the wreck had already been discovered. Before dying, Kopechne had scratched at the upholstered floor above her head in the upside-down car. The Kennedy family began "calling in favours", ensuring that any inquiry would be contained. Her corpse was whisked out-of-state to her family, before an autopsy could be conducted. Further details are uncertain, but after the accident Kennedy says he repeatedly dove under the water trying to rescue Kopechne, and he didn't call police because he was in a state of shock. It is widely assumed Kennedy was drunk, and he held off calling police in hopes that his family could fix the problem overnight.

Since the accident, Kennedy's "political enemies" have referred to him as the distinguished Senator from Chappaquiddick... He pled guilty to leaving the scene of an accident, and was given a SUSPENDED SENTENCE OF TWO MONTHS. Kopechne's family received a small payout from the Kennedy's insurance policy, and never sued. There was later an effort to have her body exhumed and autopsied, but her family successfully fought against this in court, and Kennedy's family paid their attorney's bills... a "token of friendship" ?

Kennedy has held his Senate seat for more than forty years, but considering his longevity, his accomplishments seem scant. He authored or argued for legislation that ensured a variety of civil rights, increased the minimum wage in 1981, made access to health care easier for the indigent, and funded Meals on Wheels for fixed-income seniors and is widely held as the "standard-bearer for liberalism". In his very first Senate roll, he was the floor manager for the bill that turned U.S. immigration policy upside down and opened the floodgate for immigrants from third world countries. Since that time, he has been the prime instigator and author of every expansion of and increase in immigration, up to and including the latest attempt to grant amnesty to illegal aliens.

Kittyfish
08-26-2009, 10:36 AM
The act of dying shouldn't grant anybody automatic respect - it is certainly nothing special or extraordinary, it is something we all will be doing at some point. If you didn't respect someone while they were alive, I don't see where they should automatically be given respect simply because they died. I thought the way Anna Nichole Smith was suddenly practically cannonized because she happened to die young was in poor taste, really - no one much seemed to respect her when she was alive when she might have appreciated it and it might have done some good. I felt badly for ANS as I might for anyone who died before their time, but beyond that...no. Her death certainly didn't make me respect her more than I had before. The same goes for Senator Kennedy. I'll let my friend LLT speak for me there - I am certainly sorry for his family's sorrow and loss but beyond that...no. He never earned my respect when he was alive and I won't pretend he has my respect now simply because he's passed on.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2009, 10:52 AM
The act of dying shouldn't grant anybody automatic respect - it is certainly nothing special or extraordinary, it is something we all will be doing at some point. If you didn't respect someone while they were alive, I don't see where they should automatically be given respect simply because they died.
.... He never earned my respect when he was alive and I won't pretend he has my respect now simply because he's passed on.

It can't be said any clearer than that.

7SteelGal43
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Here's a sobering thought though. I'm 44 years old and this is the first day of my life that Ted Kennedy has not been a Senator in Washington.

hindes204
08-26-2009, 01:27 PM
i definately did not agree with him as a polotician....but i would not wish death by cancer on any familly...R.I.P.

JEFF4i
08-26-2009, 01:52 PM
The act of dying shouldn't grant anybody automatic respect -... He never earned my respect when he was alive and I won't pretend he has my respect now simply because he's passed on.

Then get the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter outta the thread, huh? Make another thread, and show respect for a thread meant to farewell even if you don't agree.

That said...

RIP Senator Kennedy.

The_WARDen
08-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Then get the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter outta the thread, huh? Make another thread, and show respect for a thread meant to farewell even if you don't agree.

That said...

RIP Senator Kennedy.

:applaudit: :hatsoff:

Fire Haley
08-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Next up

In honor of Ted Kennedy, we must pass the Health Care Reform Bill

Just like I predicted:

"Senator Kennedy had a grand vision for America, and an unparalleled ability to effect change. Ted Kennedy's dream of quality health care for all Americans will be made real this year because of his leadership and his inspiration." ~ Nancy Pelosi

7SteelGal43
08-26-2009, 02:36 PM

That said...

RIP Senator Kennedy.

Misplaced anger much, Jeff ? Why of all the posts in this thread did you go after kittyfish ? Did you smell an easy mark ? Why didn't you go after the ones that posted things like....

"Like Justice for Mary Jo Kopechne? Or justice for covertly traveling to Moscow at the height of the cold war for his own political gain? That kind of justice, Kennedy family? Good riddance to bad rubbish"

"Rest In Peace Murderer"

"I'm not much for dancing on graves - so we all should find something positive to say, -- "He was a good swimmer"

"I respect those who deserve it and those whose position deserves it...I feel bad for the Kennedy family but find no place in my heart to warrant respect for Ted Kennedy"

"Right on, respect is earned not gifted. Does it get much worse than treason and murder? At least OJ has a leg up on him with treason."

bring that shit to me, man :whatnow:

7SteelGal43
08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
:applaudit: :hatsoff:

"duhh uhh" :crazy01: "yeah, what jeff said"

devilsdancefloor
08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm not much for dancing on graves - so we all should find something positive to say, -- "He was a good swimmer"

The Kennedy clan lives on.

His son:

Patrick Joseph Kennedy II is a Democrat serving in the United States House of Representatives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_J._Kennedy

Kennedy has acknowledged being treated for cocaine use during his teenage years, and admitted that he abused drugs and alcohol while he was a student at Providence College. He sought treatment for an OxyContin addiction in 2006.

On May 4, 2006, Kennedy crashed his 1997 Ford Mustang convertible into a barricade on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. at 2:45 a.m. An official said the congressman had appeared intoxicated when he crashed his car, but Kennedy claimed that he was merely disoriented from prescription medications.

Right off the old block.

he is indeed had a broken arm and had enough in him to swim that lake not once, but twice!! anyway RIP

Vincent
08-26-2009, 05:53 PM
The act of dying shouldn't grant anybody automatic respect - it is certainly nothing special or extraordinary, it is something we all will be doing at some point. If you didn't respect someone while they were alive, I don't see where they should automatically be given respect simply because they died.

I'll third that. One that doesn't earn respect doesn't get respect.

Then get the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter outta the thread, huh?.

Excuse the @#$% out of me, but you are?

As David Frum recounts in “How We Got Here”: “Congress chopped military aid to South Vietnam from $2.1 billion in fiscal 1973 to $1.1 billion in 1974 and $700 million in 1975- this while the price of petroleum was quadrupling. Commanders had to ration bullets. Artillery stopped firing. Trucks ceased moving. The South Vietnamese Air Force was grounded. When the Pentagon’s accountants tried to use a couple of hundred million dollars of unused appropriations left over from to aid the South Vietnamese, Edward Kennedy mobilized a 43-38 Senate vote to forbid the expenditure. Giving South Vietnam the money it needed to survive, he said “would perpetuate involvement that should have ended long ago.” When it was over, the Communists of the North were triumphant. Vietnam was at last “unified.”

On his best day, he was a drunken slob that used women for his perverted pleasures. On his worst, he was a traitor that cost millions of South Vietnamese their lives, and God only knows how many Americans.

7SteelGal43
08-26-2009, 06:11 PM
I'll third that. One that doesn't earn respect doesn't get respect.

NICE !! :chuckle:

MACH1
08-26-2009, 06:31 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BbbW4nFN_S8/ST9XExhrUjI/AAAAAAAAIDs/YUcapRfyoWA/s400/000849-sheep-pig-cow-old-pervert-man-wearing-stockings-bra-porn-having-sex-with-animal-doll.jpg

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Vincent
08-26-2009, 06:44 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BbbW4nFN_S8/ST9XExhrUjI/AAAAAAAAIDs/YUcapRfyoWA/s400/000849-sheep-pig-cow-old-pervert-man-wearing-stockings-bra-porn-having-sex-with-animal-doll.jpg

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Caption?

A kennedy staffer consoles himself with his Ted doll.

GBMelBlount
08-26-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm 44 years old and this is the first day of my life that Ted Kennedy has not been a Senator in Washington.

This is what I could never quite understand Gal. It's no secret that Ted Kennedy was unethical & immoral and yet the majority of people had to vote for him for the last half century for him to remain senator.....makes you wonder.

RIP Ted Kennedy.

PisnNapalm
08-26-2009, 07:37 PM
All I will say about his death is.... it's about damn time. May he rot in pieces.

cubanstogie
08-26-2009, 09:33 PM

That said...

RIP Senator Kennedy.

another loon from new mexico. We really should ban Lobo's from this forum. all they do is spout BS, and insult hard working american citizens. Ted Kennedy was a lying murderer. I stated earlier my parents said if you have dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all, screw that. Freedom of speech is what I say. (especially after a bottle of wine.) I say take Jon Kerry with him, and all the worthless liars. Jeff, you are a ignorant Kool aid drinker. The Patriots would die to have you as there fan.

cubanstogie
08-26-2009, 09:38 PM
The act of dying shouldn't grant anybody automatic respect - it is certainly nothing special or extraordinary, it is something we all will be doing at some point. If you didn't respect someone while they were alive, I don't see where they should automatically be given respect simply because they died. I thought the way Anna Nichole Smith was suddenly practically cannonized because she happened to die young was in poor taste, really - no one much seemed to respect her when she was alive when she might have appreciated it and it might have done some good. I felt badly for ANS as I might for anyone who died before their time, but beyond that...no. Her death certainly didn't make me respect her more than I had before. The same goes for Senator Kennedy. I'll let my friend LLT speak for me there - I am certainly sorry for his family's sorrow and loss but beyond that...no. He never earned my respect when he was alive and I won't pretend he has my respect now simply because he's passed on.

exactly, thats why I asked the hypothetical question about someone saying RIP to OJ. Whats the point. Some peoples graves deserve to be spat on. I am a conservative but certainly wouldn't celebrate the life of Richard Nixon just because he died. He was a lying cheat. Kennedy no better.

cubanstogie
08-26-2009, 09:43 PM

RIP!

Would you respect a Republican who drove off a bridge and killed a pregnant woman, and then tried to cover it up. Didn't think so.

tony hipchest
08-26-2009, 09:50 PM
another loon from new mexico. We really should ban Lobo's from this forum. all they do is spout BS, and insult hard working american citizens. Ted Kennedy was a lying murderer. I stated earlier my parents said if you have dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all, screw that. Freedom of speech is what I say. (especially after a bottle of wine.) I say take Jon Kerry with him, and all the worthless liars. Jeff, you are a ignorant Kool aid drinker. The Patriots would die to have you as there fan.LMAO!

arent you in california?

dont you have some illegal to go watch mow your lawn as you lazily sit by with a stoge down your throat as you bitch and wine all day about the exact same peoples whose pockets you stuff?

californians = cant pick their own weeds unless its humbolt dope.

THE earthquake cant come soon enough.

:laughing:

"sometimes a cigar is just a cigar... other times its a penis."

-Sigmund Freud

cubanstogie
08-26-2009, 09:57 PM
LMAO!

arent you in california?

dont you have some illegal to go watch mow your lawn as you lazily sit by with a stoge down your throat as you bitch and wine all day about the exact same peoples whose pockets you stuff?

californians = cant pick their own weeds unless its humbolt dope.

THE earthquake cant come soon enough.

:laughing:

-Sigmund Freud

Didn't take long for the Lobos to fire back. The only time I watch mexicans work is on the golf course. I mow my own lawns, and would never hire an illegal. How in the world did you know I was referring to you when I said another loon from New Mexico. You are Richard Phukken Tracy. I really need to give you more credit.

tony hipchest
08-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Didn't take long for the Lobos to fire back. The only time I watch mexicans work is on the golf course. I mow my own lawns, and would never hire an illegal. How in the world did you know I was referring to you when I said another loon from New Mexico. You are Richard Phukken Tracy. I really need to give you more credit.there are 4 "lobos" on this board. lefturn no longer posts. rotohead doesnt participate in this forum.

you are a californian. californians do not mow their own lawn. :doh:

californians are too lazy to mow other peoples lawns for money. :dang:

quit hiring illegals that enable your laziness, and supporting golf courses who do the same, and this country may not be in such a mess.

Preacher
08-26-2009, 10:14 PM
there are 4 "lobos" on this board. lefturn no longer posts. rotohead doesnt participate in this forum.

quit hiring illegals that enable your laziness, and supporting golf courses who do the same, and this country may not be in such a mess.

:shout: Panic Post! Panic Post!

tony hipchest
08-26-2009, 10:18 PM
:shout: Panic Post! Panic Post!

*crickets chirping*

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/h1sciQcricketsChirp.gif

it doesnt come off so well when you do it preach... :hunch:

(especially in defense of CUBANstogie).

what a hypocritical commie supporter....

Cheppy
08-26-2009, 10:23 PM
there are 4 "lobos" on this board. lefturn no longer posts. rotohead doesnt participate in this forum.

Can't say you're wrong. And on a lighter note, Ted did leave a woman to drown to death like the selfish, conniving, blue-blood he was.

God Bless America..

Preacher
08-26-2009, 10:26 PM
*crickets chirping*

Wow... a whole 10 minutes.

And not in support of anyone... just thought I would point out a panic post.

cubanstogie
08-26-2009, 10:28 PM

Too funny, a liberal who stereotypes. Hypocrisy I ask. I enjoy yard work, its therapeutic to a certain extent. You have completely hijacked this thread, and I would like to know if you think Ted Kennedy deserves respect, or is a lying cheat who tried to cover up a crime. I don't care how many years have passed, its called character. How about a real answer for once, instead for some half assed attempt to be witty. Please, just once.

cubanstogie
08-26-2009, 10:32 PM
*crickets chirping*

Everyone on this board is a commie supporter. Its pretty hard to purchase anything these days not made in China. How big is your glass house in New Mexico.

Cheppy
08-26-2009, 10:36 PM
I wish we could ressurect Patton & Teddy Roosevelt.

tony hipchest
08-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Everyone on this board is a commie supporter. Its pretty hard to purchase anything these days not made in China. How big is your glass house in New Mexico.everyone except cubanstogie.

he only buys american, as he smokes his cuban cigars and watches illegals mow his golf course.

:rolleyes:

7SteelGal43
08-26-2009, 10:47 PM
:popcorn:

Cheppy
08-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Behind The Green Door Oh wait, wrong thread..

tony hipchest
08-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Too funny, a liberal who stereotypes. Hypocrisy I ask. I enjoy yard work, its therapeutic to a certain extent. You have completely hijacked this thread, and I would like to know if you think Ted Kennedy deserves respect, or is a lying cheat who tried to cover up a crime. I don't care how many years have passed, its called character. How about a real answer for once, instead for some half assed attempt to be witty. Please, just once.

you are a californian, so we know the only aspect of 'yardwork" that you enjoy is the convinience of paying an illegal 3-4 bucks an hour to do it.

as far as kennedy, i could really care less (people come and people go). bless him for fighting the good fight and battling cancer for as long as he did. i personally see no reason to drag him through the mud on the day he died.

and speaking of a half assed attempt to be witty, you shoulda most definitely taken a left at albuquerque.

silver & black
08-27-2009, 06:06 AM

+1 :yep:

HometownGal
08-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Look folks - Ted Kennedy was loved by some and hated by others - there really was no middle ground with him. I hated a lot of the things he did and spoke outright about those things over the years, but I'm not going to attack him post-humously as that really serves no purpose.

I respect all of your opinions on the late Senator and probably agree with most of 'em, but really - there is no reason to attack each other and take away from the thread, so can it please cease?

Thanks.

cubanstogie
08-27-2009, 11:41 AM
you are a californian, so we know the only aspect of 'yardwork" that you enjoy is the convinience of paying an illegal 3-4 bucks an hour to do it.

as far as kennedy, i could really care less (people come and people go). bless him for fighting the good fight and battling cancer for as long as he did. i personally see no reason to drag him through the mud on the day he died.

and speaking of a half assed attempt to be witty, you shoulda most definitely taken a left at albuquerque.

If I could find an illegal to do my yard for 4 bucks an hour, my house would be in Sunset magazine. Even some illegals like capitalism. Most here charge 70 a month for 4 mows and edging, mucho deniro! Cuts into my cuban cigar money.

revefsreleets
08-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Several different takes on Ted Kennedy. I was surprised to see Will be not unkind...and not at all surprised to see flaming lib Marie Cocco ignore EVERY fault and basically just canonize the guy.

I'll start with the most balanced piece, and end with the least...

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commentary/55627112.html

Curtain falls on Camelot myth

By John Kass
Chicago Tribune

Published on Friday, Aug 28, 2009

CHICAGO: With Sen. Ted Kennedy dead at 77, the political iconographers on Wednesday were working feverishly, like alchemists over a fire.

The Kennedy legacy has always been about American royalty and the appetites of kings and the use of myth, and that myth was always Camelot, those shining knights and the idealistic boy who drew the sword from the stone. With the death of the Massachusetts Democrat, finally, mercifully, let's let Camelot go.

The iconographers on the political right, including some who call themselves Christians, were busy damning his soul to hell for walking away from that crash at Chappaquiddick 40 years ago.

He let young Mary Jo Kopechne drown in the Oldsmobile, her body twisting to find pockets of air in that submerged car as he made it to shore, then waited hours to sober up, put his clout together and save his political career.

Some critics hated him for his politics. Others hated him because his only punishment for Chappaquiddick was that he couldn't be president and so was sentenced to the job of senator for life. Most were upset that the media canonized him as a liberal lion and used Camelot to shield him. It doesn't really matter now.

But can you call yourself a Christian and hope that a man's soul be damned?

On Wednesday, many on the political left—including some made visibly uncomfortable with any talk of souls—busily ignored Mary Jo, just as they've always ignored her. But they grabbed onto Camelot for one last ride, and used a dead Kennedy to push for nationalized health care.

''They'll use him for sympathy points on the health care thing,'' a national Democrat told me on Wednesday. ''How far they'll use him I don't know. But they'll use him.''

With so much Kennedy adulation and hatred in the air, I had the good fortune to read what his sister-in-law once said about myth and history and Camelot.

Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy ignited the Camelot myth in Life magazine just one week after the assassination of her husband, President John F. Kennedy.

To graft Camelot and the Kennedys in the American mind, she needed a partner and chose pro-Kennedy journalist Theodore H. White.

After that interview, the idealism of the boy king who drew the sword from the stone was permanently ceded to the Kennedys, first to John in death, then to his brother Robert, who was later assassinated.

But it protected Ted Kennedy the best.

Camelot was so powerful that even before Ted Kennedy's death, there were clumsy attempts to graft it onto our current president from Chicago. Invariably they'll try again.

What worried Jacqueline Kennedy in 1963 were the historians. She asked White to rescue her late husband from all those ''bitter people'' who'd write the histories. She beat them to it with Camelot.

According to White's notes of the interview, Mrs. Kennedy repeated again and again how she and her husband loved the musical Camelot. She said the president especially loved one of the songs.

''I'd get out of bed at night and play it for him, when it was so cold getting out of bed . . . on a Victrola, 10 years old — and the song he loved most came at the very end of this record, the last side of Camelot, sad Camelot, 'Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for one brief shining moment that was known as Camelot.'

''There will never be another Camelot again,'' Mrs. Kennedy told White.

White got the message. He understood her gracious command. And so did the editors of Life. It was the Kennedys and Camelot. It's been that way ever since.

You'll see what's left of Camelot in the news coverage of the senator's funeral over the weekend. It's all been ground together, through the alchemy of modern American politics.

And if there is a Kennedy legacy, it's not his political philosophy so much as the bizarre American yearning for royalty and myth.

During her interview with White, Mrs. Kennedy also spoke of drama and history in those moments before photographers made the iconic pictures on the day the president was assassinated.

''Everybody kept saying to me to put a cold towel around my head and wipe the blood off. Later I saw myself in the mirror, my whole face spattered with blood and hair. . . . I wiped it off with Kleenex. . . . History! . . . I thought, no one really wants me there. Then one second later, I thought, why did I wash the blood off? I should have left it there. Let them see what they've done.

''If I'd just had the blood and caked hair when they took the picture. . . . Then later I said to Bobby — what's the line between history and drama? I should have kept the blood on.''

That line between history and drama for the Kennedys was never very thick, like the line between American realism and our yearning for royalty, and for comforting political myths.
Kass is a Chicago Tribune columnist. He can be e-mailed at jskass@tribune.com.

revefsreleets
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Now George Will's take...

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commentary/55627137.html

A large life with a positive balance

WASHINGTON: At the Democrats' 1960 convention in Los Angeles that nominated John Kennedy, his 28-year-old brother Ted was standing with the Wyoming delegation when it sealed the victory. He was then a sibling for minor missions. He would become the most consequential brother.

His two political brothers were young men in a hurry: John became the youngest elected president at 43; Robert died at 42, seeking the presidency as soon as possible after the murder of his brother. Ted came to embody the patience of politics. Charisma is less potent than the smitten imagine; endurance is not sufficient, but is necessary.

There is the arithmetic of the Constitution and then there is the life of the institution. The Constitution makes a senator 1 percent of one-half of one of the three branches of the federal government. But the intangible and unquantifiable chemistry of personality in a little laboratory like the Senate made Ted Kennedy forceful.

In the Senate, as elsewhere, 80 percent of the important work is done by a talented 20 percent. And 95 percent of the work is done off the floor, away from committees, out of sight, where strong convictions leavened by good humor are the currency of accomplishment. There Ted Kennedy, who had the politics of the Boston Irish in his chromosomes, flourished. What Winston Churchill said about Franklin Roosevelt — that meeting him was like opening a bottle of champagne, and knowing him was like drinking it — was true of Ted Kennedy, too.

He was an unapologetic liberal in an era during which liberalism lost ground. It began to recede in 1966, when he had 43 Senate years ahead of him. His most famous speech, to the 1980 convention, is remembered for its ''the dream shall never die'' peroration, but much of it was robust condescension regarding Ronald Reagan, whose subsequent landslide victory was proof of a political tide that would not be turned by ridicule. Kennedy's second-most memorable speech, a remarkably meretricious denunciation of Robert Bork, demonstrated the merely contingent connection between truth and rhetorical potency.

It is an old axiom: ''All men are by nature equal/But differ greatly in the sequel.'' This presidency-obsessed nation should note that most of Ted Kennedy's achievements were sequels to his presidential possibilities. He may have known, in the realism of his fine political mind, that his behavior at Chappaquiddick, 40 years ago last month, would be an insuperable obstacle to his presidential ambitions, about which he seems to have been deeply ambivalent. When he unsuccessfully challenged an incumbent president of his own party for the 1980 nomination, he was at last liberated from the burdens of his sense of duty and of other peoples' expectations and ambitions.

Kennedy served in the Senate for almost 47 years, more than a fifth of the life of the Constitution. He arrived in 1962, before passage of the important civil rights laws, and before the more humane sensibilities that those laws helped to shape. For most of his career he served with the only two senators whose tenures were longer than his — South Carolina's Strom Thurmond and West Virginia's Robert Byrd, still serving at 91. The latter was once a member of the Ku Klux Klan. The former was an unyielding segregationist until the Civil Rights Act of 1964 — which a larger percentage of Republican than of Democratic senators voted for — began changing Southern electoral arithmetic. Ted Kennedy participated in unmaking the society that made them.

The last of Joe and Rose Kennedy's nine children, Ted died 14 days after his sister Eunice. It is arguable, and he might have cheerfully conceded, that Eunice was the most consequential Kennedy, at least as measured by the selfless enlargement of happiness. She lived a luminous life, perhaps because of the dark fate of the third oldest of Ted's siblings.

Rosemary was mentally retarded. She was lobotomized and institutionalized. This grotesque response by Rosemary's father to her handicap became a blessing for subsequent mentally disabled Americans, whose afflictions summoned Eunice to her vocation of amelioration.

Let us pay the Kennedys tributes unblurred by tears. Although a great American family, they are not even Massachusetts' greatest family: The Adamses provided two presidents, John and John Quincy, and Charles Francis, who was ambassador to Britain during the Civil War, and the unclassifiable Henry. Never mind. It diminishes Ted to assess him as a fragment of a family. He lived his own large life and the ledger of it shows a substantial positive balance.
Will is a Washington Post columnist. He can be e-mailed at georgewill@washpost.com.

revefsreleets
08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Marie Cocco

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commentary/55627152.html

Fierce advocate for average Americans

WASHINGTON: Ten summers ago, for reasons I do not now recall, I asked Ted Kennedy's office to provide an account of key legislation he had sponsored in what already was a long and distinguished career.

The 32-page fax I received in response is as notable for what it lacks as it is for the fullness of history it recounts.

There was no tone of pompous self-promotion that we are accustomed to expect from politicians — from U.S. senators, in particular. Each of the ''highlights'' was typed out, without graphic embellishment, in a single, short phrase. They represented the best hopes America could offer in those turbulent years that began in 1963, when Ted's brother Jack was assassinated and hope seemed to die along with him.

Ted became the eternal flame.

In 1963, his first year in the Senate, one of the first bills he sponsored was ''Hospital Insurance Program under Social Security for the Aged'' — that is, Medicare. There was legislation establishing college aid programs and to fund metropolitan mass transit systems. Other bills would provide vocational training for the unemployed, and establish the National Arts Foundation.

That was just the first year.

In the decades that followed, Kennedy's passion for helping average Americans — his liberal impulse guided by a deft, and often bipartisan, legislative hand — would shape what this nation became.

If you have taken a community college course, or had a child get a chance to attend college because these low-cost institutions have become a crucial stepping stone for millions, you have Ted Kennedy to thank. So it is for school lunches, child care for military families, civil rights and voting rights for African-Americans and other minorities, and Head Start.

If you have a pension from a private employer, it is protected under laws Kennedy wrote. If you have a physically or mentally disabled child, he or she is entitled to a public education because of Kennedy's efforts. He was tough on drugs, consistently promoting new law enforcement methods to disrupt the narcotics trade while simultaneously pushing better treatment for the addicted.

He was instrumental in writing the law barring age discrimination, and he authored the Americans with Disabilities Act. The forerunner to the landmark law prohibiting discrimination against the disabled was a measure Kennedy promoted in 1972: ''To prohibit discrimination against handicapped persons in federal programs.'' The broader Americans with Disabilities Act would take almost two decades to be enacted — in 1990.

This is a part of the Kennedy legacy that often escapes notice. He was, in every respect, a man of his times. But he was very often ahead of his times.

He was an environmentalist, protecting oceans and other waterways, before the environmental movement emerged as a political force. He sought legislation ''to include expenses of prescription drugs in the Medicare program'' in 1965. The Medicare prescription drug benefit would not be enacted until 2003.

When it finally took form under a Republican-controlled Congress that larded the measure with extra payments for managed-care insurance companies and with provisions protecting drug industry profits, Kennedy initially voted in favor, saying the drug coverage was an overdue commitment to the elderly. But he came to oppose the bill, which he said had been ''hijacked'' by special interests. ''We've seen giveaways, but few of them will compare with the one we've passed,'' the senator said in an interview a few months after its passage.

For decades — at least until the Clintons emerged — Kennedy was a singular target of Republican ire. The GOP would drop his name in fundraising mailers and feature his image in attack ads against what seemed like any and all Democratic candidates. On the eve of the 2004 Democratic National Convention, which Kennedy maneuvered to hold in his beloved Boston and considered a tribute to his career, the senator's close involvement again provided an easy opening for Republicans trying to discredit nominee John Kerry as too much the Eastern liberal.

''I welcome that badge and wear it with honor,'' Kennedy told a handful of journalists assembled in his Senate office. ''Because it means I've been on the cutting edge of issues that make a difference to families.''

To eulogize Kennedy as a ''liberal lion'' is only half a truth. He was a fierce protector of any American who did not have the opportunities the Kennedy family so notably enjoyed.

He is gone now, but his dream shall never die. It lives because Kennedy's work brought it to life for millions of Americans, and for millions still to come.
Cocco is a Washington Post Writers Group columnist. She can be e-mailed at mariecocco@washpost.com.

SteelMember
08-28-2009, 09:22 AM
For Ted, as in life, it seems you either "love 'em or hate 'em".

For me, when someone passes, it simply makes you more aware of your own mortality. Your time on this earth is just a breath on the wind.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-29-2009, 09:51 AM

That said...

RIP Senator Kennedy.

Rather hypocritial....as if you stay out of threads that you dont agree with...right?