PDA

View Full Version : Ward: Receivers' battle should help Steelers

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Ward: Receivers' battle should help Steelers
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The battle for No. 3 receiver between veteran Shaun McDonald, second-year player Limas Sweed and rookie Mike Wallace will help the Steelers offense, starter Hines Ward predicted. "I can't put numbers on who's going to get what, but competition brings out the best in everyone," Ward said Tuesday. "Right now, there's no clear-cut favorite who's No. 3. Each day, they're having to prove themselves. Those guys are going to help develop our depth at wide receiver, and it's going to give us a great opportunity to run four and five (receiver sets) in third-down situations."

In the preseason opener against Arizona, Doug Legursky started at center in place Justin Hartwig. A week later against Washington, Legursky started at left guard for Chris Kemoeatu. Legursky's versatility could prove handy for a team that values players who can play multiple positions. "What can you say? The guy's an undrafted free agent and he's able to come in and fill a starting role in the preseason and hold his own," left tackle Max Starks said. "He's done a great job and he's definitely as asset to this offensive line. We communicated great on our side. He's very smart and very flexible.''

Receiver Santonio Holmes took a helmet to his back against Washington and sat out yesterday's practice. Running back Mewelde Moore returned to practice after being sidelined with a hamstring injury. Two other running backs missed practice with hamstring issues: Willie Parker and rookie Frank Summers, whose status coach Mike Tomlin said remains "iffy.'' Tomlin said tight end Sean McHugh will have arthroscopic knee surgery this morning. Quarterback Dennis Dixon (shoulder) and guard Darnell Stapleton (knee) are out Saturday for the Buffalo game.

Digits

4 -- Third-down plays for the first-team offense against Washington.

2 -- Third-down conversions for the first-team offense against Washington

http://forums.steelersfever.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=7

revefsreleets
08-26-2009, 10:37 AM
5 Wide on 3rd down?

Oh boy, the Arians haters will NOT like that news!

LVSteelersfan
08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
As long as Ben gets rid of the ball quickly and doesn't wait for Holmes, Wallace etc to get down the field when there is no blocker back there, we should be ok. I dislike Arians, but since we are stuck with him I am taking a wait and see attitude on him this year. Hopefully we will quit that run FWP up the middle on first down, run FWP up the middle on second down, third and long crap. If they can fix that and fix that red zone, no TD stuff, I will be happy with Arians.

Psyychoward86
08-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Again, what happened to Kemo? Did he get hurt? There's been like nothing on him anywhere and why he didnt play...

ben
08-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Sweed better get some hands soon.

mmalone
08-26-2009, 03:38 PM
5 Wide on 3rd down?

Oh boy, the Arians haters will NOT like that news!

it ok, just not at our own 4 yard line.