PDA

View Full Version : TE Johnson Improves his chances

mmalone
08-26-2009, 05:57 AM
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:37 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH — When training camp started on July 31, rookie tight end David Johnson was a long shot at best to earn a roster spot with the Steelers. But now, 27 days later, his chances have improved significantly.

For one thing, Johnson has gotten better and better on the practice field. Then on Tuesday, coach Mike Tomlin said that Sean McHugh, a third-team tight end last year, needs arthroscopic knee surgery.

McHugh, who missed Saturday’s preseason game in Washington, was to be operated on this morning. Tomlin called it “some clean up surgery.” So there’s a chance McHugh may miss the final two exhibitions.

A seventh-round pick who was the 241st player taken in this year’s NFL Draft, Johnson has yet to catch a pass in the two preseason games. But he’s blocking well both at tight end or occasionally when he's lined up as a fullback.

“The best thing I’ve been doing is just adjusting (to the pro game),” said Johnson, who played at Arkansas State. “I’m learning from the vets every day and I’m just fighting for a job.”

MORE INJURY NEWS

Besides McHugh and third-team quarterback Dennis Dixon (separated shoulder), three other Steelers missed practice Tuesday with injuries.

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes sat out after taking a helmet to the back Saturday in Washington.

Tomlin said Holmes “will participate here soon (at practice).” But Holmes told the NFL Network that he may miss Saturday’s game against Buffalo. Stay tuned.

Running back Willie Parker, who scored the Steelers’ only touchdown Saturday, sat out with a tender hamstring.

“He’ll be fine,” Tomlin said.

Running back/fullback Frank “Tank” Summers is still hobbled with a hamstring injury that kept him out of Saturday’s game in Washington. He’ll likely miss the game against the Bills.

Tackle Jason Capizzi was limited Tuesday due to a sore shoulder.

Wide receiver Hines Ward isn’t hurt but was given the day off by Tomlin.

FIRST GAME PLAN

For the first and only time this preseason, the Steelers are actually putting in a game plan for Buffalo.

“We have a legitimate, simulated (regular-season) game week,” Tomlin said. “We laid the foundation (Tuesday) for our game plan in all three phases, offense, defense and special teams.”

mmalone
08-26-2009, 05:59 AM
TE - Dave Johnson

1. “He’s the first guy I’ve ever seen knock James Harrison an inch backward,” said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. “Not a foot, but an inch, anyway.

2. “He’s just so powerful when we put him up against linebackers. And against our defensive ends, he really stood out. You talk to those guys, they say, ‘Man, this kid’s got some punch.’ And he can run and catch.”

3. “If he continues to come around, we might have found a jewel because that’s the guy who can also play fullback,” Arians said.

Not a bad day’s work for the guy now being labeled “one of the biggest surprises in training camp.” At 6′2 260lb he can play TE or FB. We pulled a few of his clips and sorted them in the 70 second video we posted below. There might be a Frank Summers sighting in the video as well.

It’s funny how the FB/TE/RB debate is turning out to be the most heated battle in camp. Bruce Arians doesn’t really use traditional fullbacks but he likes using 3 TE sets. The one “true FB” on the roster from last year is Carey Davis and most Steeler fans have no clue why this guy is even on the team…..yet the media is telling us that Davis is a LOCK to survive roster cuts.

Steel Head
08-26-2009, 06:56 AM
I love what I've read about Johnson

I'd like to see them give him a chance to lead-block in some short yardage situations

SteelMember
08-26-2009, 06:57 AM
It's funny that the headline states "improves his chances". An injury to another player? Really. I guess I don't get it unless he actually caused the injury.

Chances have improved, not improved his chances. :noidea:

I was hoping to read that his play was the determining factor.

HometownGal
08-26-2009, 07:14 AM

I dunno - I got out of mesa's original post that Johnson's play IS somewhat of a determining factor thus far:

For one thing, Johnson has gotten better and better on the practice field.

But he’s blocking well both at tight end or occasionally when he's lined up as a fullback.

SteelMember
08-26-2009, 07:26 AM
I dunno - I got out of mesa's original post that Johnson's play IS somewhat of a determining factor thus far:

I understand, and have read that also. I'd just like to hear it from multiple sources. It would make my prediction of him pushing McHugh out of the #3 TE spot more legit. I say McHugh, because I don't think they're ready to give up on Spaeth yet. Although he is probably the weakest (legit)TE at this point.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2009, 08:01 AM
I understand, and have read that also. I'd just like to hear it from multiple sources. It would make my prediction of him pushing McHugh out of the #3 TE spot more legit. I say McHugh, because I don't think they're ready to give up on Spaeth yet. Although he is probably the weakest (legit)TE at this point.

From what I hear...I will be happy with either McHugh or Johnson....especially if they can get Davis off our roster.

Steel Head
08-26-2009, 08:03 AM
here is a video of Johnson from the 1st game: http://vimeo.com/6205690

Fire Haley
08-26-2009, 08:29 AM
It's funny that the headline states "improves his chances". An injury to another player?

yeah - I saw that too

Johnson gets a reprieve from the Turk while his competition gets cut on.

I guess that's just the way it goes.

Sucks for McHugh though.

mmalone
08-26-2009, 08:58 AM

theres a line for that type of reading comprehension..

"Are you picking up what im laying down"....

i think arians from his 4 quotes is lovin this guy Johnson.....

:tt:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-26-2009, 09:11 AM
I still think the only way he stays is if the Steelers keep him as the #4 TE. I think Miller, Spaeth and McHugh are locks, but this is the final year of Spaeth's contract and if he doesnt show more, then he will be let free to test the market.

I love what Johnson does, but think he either replaces Davis or gets sent to the PS. I think PS is more likely.

steelreserve
08-26-2009, 12:37 PM

I would hope that if we ditch any of the TEs, it's Spaeth. His only upside is receiving, and he's not even that great at it. He's VERY awkward with the football. McHugh I like because of his versatility, and he did pretty well when we used him as a FB. Better than Davis, if I remember. Can anyone tell me why in the hell that guy is still on the team?

Psyychoward86
08-26-2009, 12:42 PM
i'm really intrigued by both summers and johnson's blocking. I think they're both already as good, if not better at blocking than Carey Davis and McHugh. Although they did go up against backups i think.

SteelMember
08-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I would hope that if we ditch any of the TEs, it's Spaeth. His only upside is receiving, and he's not even that great at it. He's VERY awkward with the football. McHugh I like because of his versatility, and he did pretty well when we used him as a FB. Better than Davis, if I remember. Can anyone tell me why in the hell that guy is still on the team?

I think with his size, they may of had visions of having him on the end of the strong side, basically an extra guard (like a jumbo package), but since his blocking isn't very good, his receiving skills are all he has for him to stick. I think this year will be his last. :noidea:

one side only
08-26-2009, 02:18 PM
McHugh had arthroscopic surgery on his knee, and he's out for two weeks . Bad news for him; good news for Johnson.

mmalone
08-26-2009, 02:29 PM

i can agree with that... he drops a lot of have to catch balls. when he has the chance.

we need blocking... mchugh and johnson and summers.

steelreserve
08-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I think with his size, they may of had visions of having him on the end of the strong side, basically an extra guard (like a jumbo package), but since his blocking isn't very good, his receiving skills are all he has for him to stick. I think this year will be his last. :noidea:

I meant why is Davis still on the team when we have other options who can block just as well or better, but I worded it pretty poorly ... although you could just as easily make the same point about Spaeth.

As for Spaeth, though ... second and third tight ends are usually there for one thing only: blocking ability. You don't throw out of a three tight-end set too often. So if we've got another better blocker with decent hands, Spaeth's hold on that position could be even more tenuous than we think.

MasterOfPuppets
08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
. There might be a Frank Summers sighting in the video as well.

..yet the media is telling us that Davis is a LOCK to survive roster cuts. so who's going to take his position ? summers hasn't done much to show he's any better, and not being on the field sure ain't helping his cause. i see alot of you guys penciling in summers on the roster, but what are you basing this on ? have i missed the articles that the coaches are heaping praise on summers ?

devilsdancefloor
08-26-2009, 05:13 PM
if his blocking is that well put him on the PS and beef him and make him a tackle:chuckle:

mmalone
08-26-2009, 06:33 PM
so who's going to take his position ? summers hasn't done much to show he's any better, and not being on the field sure ain't helping his cause. i see alot of you guys penciling in summers on the roster, but what are you basing this on ? have i missed the articles that the coaches are heaping praise on summers ?

just more arm chair thoughts, but

te's with johnson, miller. mchugh or spaeth not real sure. not a fan of either.. one would have to stay. arians says johnson has it all blocking, hands and FB quality also...

fb summers for blocking, his portfolio shows some strong running, but my pal hasnt really tried him...

rb fwp, mendy, moore, redman for size and power situations, redman hasnt really been used for blocking so thats a bit of a mystery also.

it will be a last day deal probably, and we will all be surprised...
they might even sign another FB who knows.... that would really be a curve...

tony hipchest
08-26-2009, 06:54 PM
they should sign dan kreider when he gets cut.

i hear that guy is pretty good.

or better yet, since jerome bettis was fired from NBC, maybe we can sign him. i know hes too old to tote the rock, but he's still big enough to block.

that would RULE!

:busted:

mmalone
08-27-2009, 06:55 AM
You don't throw out of a three tight-end set too often. So if we've got another better blocker with decent hands, Spaeth's hold on that position could be even more tenuous than we think.

What other nfl teams run the 3 tight end set alot??

Atlanta?

steelreserve
08-27-2009, 01:13 PM
so who's going to take his position ? summers hasn't done much to show he's any better, and not being on the field sure ain't helping his cause. i see alot of you guys penciling in summers on the roster, but what are you basing this on ? have i missed the articles that the coaches are heaping praise on summers ?

My whole argument for Summers over Davis is that Davis doesn't do any good for us in the first place, so we can't do any worse. Even if we just cut him outright and Summers wasn't in the picture, we'd be fine. So I'd take Summers because even if the odds are 100-to-1 against him turning out to be a star, at least that's a chance -- and a better chance than Davis being a star.

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 01:19 PM
What other nfl teams run the 3 tight end set alot??

Atlanta?

no teams really

Tennessee runs miltiple TE sets the most

mmalone
08-27-2009, 01:30 PM
no teams really

Tennessee runs miltiple TE sets the most

it is mostly a run formation right? or maybe a short pass set?

not really much speed on the field to stretch the field for a long pass, and if the te's leave the line the QB needs to get rid of the ball pretty fast... so i guess the te's we need for this would formation have to have good hands and good blocking. not just blocking ability..

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 01:43 PM
it is mostly a run formation right? or maybe a short pass set?

it's usually for goal line

many teams run several different 2 TE sets like we have tried but Spaeth isn't that good

mmalone
08-27-2009, 01:53 PM
it's usually for goal line

many teams run several different 2 TE sets like we have tried but Spaeth isn't that good

Maybe they will try this 3 te set in the next game with Johnson. i will have to keep my open for that play... since mchugh is out for a while maybe we will see it saturday.

arians was really talking this guy up, so it will be nice to see him play more..

steelreserve
08-27-2009, 02:13 PM
I've never heard of any team using a 3-TE set as a normal part of their offense. More like a couple times a game, to either pick up short short yardage with a run or try some deception. Do most teams even carry three tight ends, unless the third guy is also a part-time fullback or a special teamer? I honestly wouldn't know.

tony hipchest
08-27-2009, 05:21 PM
the patriots are allowed to carry 8 TE's on their roster and often run a 4 te set (5 if you count vrabel).

they could use it as their base package and still score 40 points a game.

mesaSteeler
08-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Injury gives Steelers' rookie David Johnson a chance
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_640403.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 28, 2009

Yes, Steelers rookie David Johnson acknowledged somewhat reluctantly, it's awkward discussing his competition with veteran Sean McHugh for the third tight end spot.

Wednesday, McHugh had arthroscopic knee surgery designed to benefit him over the long term while possibly creating some short-term misery.

McHugh, a Penn State product, is expected to be out at least four weeks, coach Mike Tomlin said Thursday, and his surgery could give Johnson an edge in one of the tightest position battles on the team.

"That's what it is -- an opportunity,'' said Johnson, a seventh-round draft pick from Arkansas State. "When you get a chance like this, you've got to come through.

"We're competing for the third spot. I'm going to keep working hard, and hopefully the coaches feel that I'm the one for the job.''

At 6-foot-2, Johnson is not a typical tight end in that he isn't as tall as starter Heath Miller (6-5), backup Matt Spaeth (6-7) or McHugh (6-5).

Johnson could be mistaken for a fullback if not for his extra-wide body, which carries 260 pounds.

A strong blocker with surprising quickness for his bulk, Johnson is considered a work in progress. He's trying to learn the playbook while also learning what it takes to play in the NFL.

Johnson played tight end all four seasons in college. Statistically, he had his best campaign as a senior with 22 receptions for 356 yards and five touchdowns. He had an impressive ratio of one touchdown for every four catches.

"What I did in college is kind of like what we're doing here,'' said Johnson, who turned 22 Wednesday. "I lined up at fullback, tight end and H-back, motioned around a lot, lined up in the slot a little bit. They threw me the ball. It's pretty much been the same.''

Johnson is five years younger than McHugh, who played with four teams in his first six seasons. McHugh joined the Steelers last year and appeared in 15 games with three starts, finishing with three receptions for 24 yards. He made his first postseason start at fullback against Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII and signed a three-year contract in the offseason.

What Johnson lacks in experience, he's trying to make up for with his versatility, which includes playing on special teams.

"It's big," he said. "Me being probably the third tight end, that's going to be a big part of everything, playing special teams. That's very important. I've been doing everything except kickoffs.''

Tomlin said the first-team offense will play the entire first half in Saturday's third preseason game against Buffalo at Heinz Field. Johnson will likely see additional playing time in the second half in McHugh's absence.

"I'm showing bits and pieces, but I've got to show the coaches on every play so they'll be able to be confident in me,'' Johnson said.

"I'm coming around pretty good. Every day I'm working hard, learning from the vets and the coaches. I feel like I've got a real good opportunity to play this year.''

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Images and text copyright © 2009 by The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.
Reproduction or reuse prohibited wi

mmalone
08-28-2009, 04:33 AM
mchugh - 15 games with three starts, finishing with - three receptions for 24 yards. He made his first postseason start at fullback against Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII and signed a three-year contract in the offseason.

how much for this production?
and we cut good rookies for doing nothing and hes 27?

come on johnson lay some wood on some people and take his spot.

Steel Head
08-28-2009, 06:55 AM
deja vu

SteelMember
08-28-2009, 07:03 AM
deja vu

all over again.

HometownGal
08-28-2009, 07:04 AM
theres a line for that type of reading comprehension..

"Are you picking up what im laying down"....

i think arians from his 4 quotes is lovin this guy Johnson.....

Huh?

mmalone
08-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Huh?

i posted these three quotes from arian..

1. “He’s the first guy I’ve ever seen knock James Harrison an inch backward,” said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. “Not a foot, but an inch, anyway.

2. “He’s just so powerful when we put him up against linebackers. And against our defensive ends, he really stood out. You talk to those guys, they say, ‘Man, this kid’s got some punch.’ And he can run and catch.”

3. “If he continues to come around, we might have found a jewel because that’s the guy who can also play fullback,” Arians said.

because mchugh got hurt...

this guy said this:

Originally Posted by SteelMember

you said...

i said i just laid down three quotes right from arians, who said pretty up front that his play is the major factor...

HometownGal
08-28-2009, 07:51 AM
i posted these three quotes from arian..

because mchugh got hurt...

this guy said this:

you said...

i said i just laid down three quotes right from arians, who said pretty up front that his play is the major factor...

OK, but why is it MY post you so condescendingly replied to? :banging:

SteelMember
08-28-2009, 07:56 AM
this guy said this:

you said...

Huh.

This guy was referring to the article in the op. :doh: Not your cut and paste job from an article posted by mesa (from another thread), who by coincidence, didn't even have a post in this thread until today.

I was looking for some new information, NOT a new thread that should have been a continuation of a previous thought. I've read all that before...that is the point.

And my point, once again was that I would hope Johnson won the job outright, not because of any injury to another player.

revefsreleets
08-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Can you ban a poster for being mentally retarded?

SteelMember
08-28-2009, 10:08 AM
What I don't get is why he is posting quotes from Arians, when he is usually touting Arian's sucks. :hunch:

I guess I get confused too easily.

mmalone
08-28-2009, 10:33 AM
OK, but why is it MY post you so condescendingly replied to? :banging:

i guess people are anwering threads here from other threads?? its confusing..
:banging:

the good thing is is that arians likes johnson and thinks he plays well.
i posted his three quotes earlier...

if arians words are not good enough now, then i dont know what to say..

HometownGal
08-28-2009, 10:37 AM
i guess people are anwering threads here from other threads?? its confusing..
:banging:

the good thing is is that arians likes johnson and thinks he plays well.
i posted his three quotes earlier...

if arians words are not good enough now, then i dont know what to say..

You're confusing me more and more with each post. :willy: Nevermind. No biggie.

Hey - Arians words are always good enough for me, but my post in reply to Steel Member was to answer his question and I think I did just that. Nothing more, nothing less. He understood my response perfectly, but if you didn't, don't know what to tell ya bud.

fansince'76
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/M03.gif

mmalone
08-28-2009, 01:05 PM
What I don't get is why he is posting quotes from Arians, when he is usually touting Arian's sucks. :hunch:

I guess I get confused too easily.

dude, i started the thread.. read the first 5 posts.... in order... 1st - 2nd are mine..

Arians speaks highly of johnsons play..

3rd post : steal head:: said i like what i read.... about what arians said....

4th post: steel member:: I was hoping to read that his play was the determining factor.

5th post:: hometowngal:: I dunno - I got out of mesa's original post that Johnson's play IS somewhat of a determining factor thus far:

She says arians is saying it is his play...

6th post: steel member: i understand, and have read that also. I'd just like to hear it from multiple sources.

i say it :: It was three quotes from Arians..... what other sources are needed...

And im the dumb poster???

please ....

steelreserve
08-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah!

Fight! Fight! Fight!

revefsreleets
08-28-2009, 02:40 PM
It's not nice to fight handicapped people...and it's even worse when they aren't bright enough to realize they are handicapped...

SteelMember
08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Oh, for the love of god...

Since you have such a hard time understanding me, let me try it LLT style.

dude, i started the thread...read the first 5 posts.... in order... 1st - 2nd are mine..

yes.

Arians speaks highly of johnsons play..

ironic as it is for you to quote him...Yes. I told you I read those quotes before this thread which = old news.

3rd post : steal head:: said i like what i read.... about what arians said....

Yes, but read, once again could mean already knew it before your handy work. Just the same as I did because you seem to have left out a bit of information there. He said "I've read", not I read. which means I HAVE read...Past Tense.

4th post: steel member:: I was hoping to read that his play was the determining factor.

Addressing the OP which talks ONLY about the injury helping, not what I've already read previously.

5th post:: hometowngal:: I dunno - I got out of mesa's original post that Johnson's play IS somewhat of a determining factor thus far:

She says arians is saying it is his play...

Mesa's original post.
Hmmm.
You've already said you started this thread, so referring to "Mesa's origional post" probably means I, along with a few other people must have read those "Arians quotes" elsewhere. Unless your saying you produced these quotes for a personal interview, and they couldn't be found anywhere else on the internet.

6th post: steel member: i understand, and have read that also. I'd just like to hear it from multiple sources.

Once again...I read it already. Past tense.

i say it :: It was three quotes from Arians..... what other sources are needed...

Quotes from the same person do not equal multiple sources...no matter how many you have.

And im the dumb poster???

I think that goes without saying.

please ....

Since you asked nicely. :scholar:

Now give it a rest...please.

steelreserve
08-28-2009, 03:20 PM
It's not nice to fight handicapped people...and it's even worse when they aren't bright enough to realize they are handicapped...

Yeah, but it's fun to watch. Probably even more fun than dogfighting. :cya:

Steel Head
08-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes, but read, once again could mean already knew it before your handy work. Just the same as I did because you seem to have left out a bit of information there. He said "I've read", not I read. which means I HAVE read...Past Tense.

exactly

i already read that, posted it and discussed in the other thread lol