PDA

View Full Version : One Of Those Threads

Cheppy
08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
This is one of those ridiculous "what if" threads. If you could give the Steelers two players for the rest of their respective careers, one on offense & one on defense, who would they be & why?

On offense I'd have to go with Ryan Clady. He's the best young offensive tackle in the game & possibly the best offensive tackle right now period. With him at Left you could move Starks to right tackle (a position he thrived in during their 05 super bowl run) & subsequently move Colon to right guard where his ineptitude would be less glaring. In short, this addition would help protect the Steelers 101 million dollar investment.

Casey Hampton (who very well might be gone after this season) is awesome & is one of my all-time favorite Steelers. But on defense I'd have to go with Haloti Ngata who I think is the best 3/4 nose tackle in the game and is just entering his 4th season. Not only is the guy a mammoth of a man he's also extremely fast & agile for his size. (something i'm sure helped him be a great rugby player) Couple him with Hood & take into account how paramount the nose is in the Steelers "D", their defensive line (the key to the linebackers success) would be in pretty goddamn good shape for the future. And even with that, I can see Smith playing at a high level for another 3 years (at least) and the Diesel man even longer. Basically the d-line would be a "murderer's row" of sorts.

And as an added bonus, we'd take away the Ratbirds best young player.

I know, I know, this is all absurd and would never happen. But I drive a truck across state-lines for a living so I have time to think about such absurd situations.

Basically I'm just curious to see who (& why) other Steeler fans would choose in this situation because I think it would help get the pulse of the nation as far as what their concerns are for the team in the future.

BlastFurnace
08-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Offense: Adrian Peterson - I haven't seen that kind of speed and power in a RB in a long...long time. He's the best right now. He could be a burner or a mudder.

Defense: Patrick Willis - an absolute beast in the middle for the 49'ers at LB. A tackling machine.

Psyychoward86
08-26-2009, 09:56 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Move Thread

Oh, and

Adrian Peterson

Troy Polamalu

RoethlisBURGHer
08-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Offense: Joe Thomas, LT Cleveland Browns

He's the best LT in the division and the best young LT in the NFL IMHO. He would protect Ben's blindside and be a serious upgrade to the offensive line, and allow Starks to move to RT

Defense: Darell Revis, CB New York Jets

This was a hard one because our defense doesn't really have any weak spots. I like Gay, but Revis is a beast and him and Taylor as starting corners would mean the two starting wideouts are shut down.

Cheppy
08-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Troy Polamalu

Makes a world of sense. (& i get that your'e trying to be cute) Yeah, next...

WeegiesWarriors
08-27-2009, 06:08 AM
still perplexes me why the browns traded draft picks with the ravens and let them have Ngata. One, why would you even consider trading within your division for anything. Two, they were trying the 3-4 going.. they needed a nose tackle, the most important position in the 3-4... so did Baltimore.. Ngata was about as solid of a pick you could have made and they traded it away and picked Wimbley. What a sad, sorry franchise.

And Joe Thomas aint all that.

Vis
08-27-2009, 06:28 AM
There's a safety/rb on the Eastside Dolphin's 11-12 league I'd take. Made every tackle last night. Looks like me but with hair.

St33lersguy
08-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Joe Thomas- talented left tackle

Haloti Ngata- Dominating nose tackle who is still in his 20s

stlrtruck
08-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Offense: John Kuhn (sorry couldn't resist). Honestly, I'd take Adrian Peterson too.

Defensively: Woodley. He will be the leader of that defense.

tony hipchest
08-27-2009, 11:47 PM
i cant make an argument against ryan clady or halitosis ngata.

a stud LT and replacement for hampton would solidify our future (especially on their rookie contracts).

steelreserve
08-28-2009, 12:04 AM
I'll say Brandon Jacobs on offense, just to feed the stereotype that the Parker Haters are obsessed with a big running back. Although you also couldn't go wrong with Peterson, which is probably the smarter choice.

On defense, I'm going to go out on a limb and say B.J. Raji. I can't think of another NT who's got that kind of Hampton-esque size and power AND a lot of years left in his career. Yeah, he might turn out to be a bust, but then again, any existing player is just a DUI or two away from that anyway. So I'm willing to take my chances.

JackHammer
08-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Offense: Larry Fitzgerald. He's dominant. He'll get first downs and touchdowns. Home run balls, quick strike receptions. I'm not gonna knock Peterson, but WR's don't take the beating that a RB does. I think Fitz Jerry is more likely to have a long, productive career.

Defense: Julius Peppers. I think he'd be great in the 3-4, as a DE/OLB hybrid type of player. It would be downright unfair to have him on the field with our D surrounding him. Dick LeBeau would do all sorts of crazy things with him.

steelreserve
08-28-2009, 02:38 AM
Defense: Julius Peppers. I think he'd be great in the 3-4, as a DE/OLB hybrid type of player. It would be downright unfair to have him on the field with our D surrounding him. Dick LeBeau would do all sorts of crazy things with him.

sexually?

I hope not.

edit: especially since we play Cleveland twice a year.

Steel-Bryan
08-28-2009, 09:39 AM
sexually?

I hope not.

edit: especially since we play Cleveland twice a year.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offense - Andre johnson, he is fast, has great hands, and can do what larry fitz does.

Defense - Nnamdi Asughma

SteelTalons
08-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Offense - Byron Leftwich(Quality backup of course, not for starting job)
Defense - Nnamdi Asomugha

Always nice to have a guy that freaks QB's out so much they wont even throw to anywhere near him. And Lefty we already have seen work his magic when Ben was out.