PDA

View Full Version : Tampa to dump all QB's?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Boy they put the screws to Leftwich least he got a nice ring.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/jason-la-canfora/

More on the Bucs’ QB situation

Posted: August 26th, 2009 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Byron Leftwich, Josh Freeman, Josh Johnson, Luke McCown, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

As I reported last night, the Buccaneers are shopping all three of their quarterbacks not named Josh Freeman. After talking again to some people who have been in contact with the Bucs, the focus is on veterans Byron Leftwich and Luke McCown, who have been competing for the starting job.

Leftwich has played better and engendered more locker-room support, but McCown is someone in whom ownership invested a $2.5 million signing bonus. Neither has won the job to this point — though Leftwich has been better — and by dealing one of them, the quarterback conundrum in Tampa Bay would be solved without having to pick one.

It might take an injury or another team’s backup to go into a deep funk to create a frothy market for either veteran. The Bucs likely would have to be satisfied with a fifth- or sixth-round draft pick for either quarterback.

Tampa Bay rates its fourth quarterback, Josh Johnson, highly and isn’t as inclined to part with him, according to league sources. That, coupled with the fact he has no real regular-season experience, makes it less likely a team would trade a mid-round pick for Johnson. I don’t see the Bucs dealing the second-year passer for anything less.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Really? Why not just name Freeman the starter? This is being handled about as well as the whole Cutler situation was in Denver.

KeiselPower99
08-27-2009, 09:10 AM
John Clayton said that Pittsburgh was interested in bringing Byron back but not on his current contract. Raheem Morris dosent know what he wants.

revefsreleets
08-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Freeman needs to sit, or risk becoming Akili Smith all over again...he's not CLOSE to being NFL-ready...

Fire Haley
08-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Bring back Lefty!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200809/20080908mf_steelers13_500.jpg

PisnNapalm
08-27-2009, 10:02 AM
If we bring back Leftwich, then who do you cut? Batch.... Dixon...?

Vis
08-27-2009, 10:08 AM

Ben, he just manages the game

Fire Haley
08-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Byron is better than either Dixon or Charlie - take your pick.

But make him come crawling back for vet minimum.

Let's see - who can we trade for him - yeah that Touchdown Maker guy - he's expendable.

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Really? Why not just name Freeman the starter?

because he is a rookie and probably sucks

Lewftich should start for them

SteelMember
08-27-2009, 11:14 AM

And that's why he left in the 1st place...to compete for a starter job.

TB has collected so many QB's in the last few years, I don't think they know what they want anymore.

MDSteel15
08-27-2009, 11:16 AM
I hate to do it, but you let Charlie go, bring in Byron as the back-up.... In my opinion, Morris is an idiot if he doesn't just name Leftwich the starter!

RoethlisBURGHer
08-27-2009, 12:22 PM

I agree that Leftwitch should start for him, but if the Buccaneers want to trade both Lefty and McCown, then that leaves Freeman as the guy who is going to start.

I think Morris sees what Ben did his rookie season, what Flacco and Ryan did last year, that the Jets named Sanchez their starter and he doesn't want to sit Freeman and be "behind the curve".

Fire Haley
08-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I hate to do it, but you let Charlie go, bring in Byron as the back-up.... In my opinion, Morris is an idiot if he doesn't just name Leftwich the starter!

I'm afraid I'd have to agreee.

So by dangling 3 QB's out there for trade Morris is basically saying to the rest of the NFL is - - "Here take the one you want - we'll let you decide who our starting QB should be by playing whoever is left".

That's even worse than the Browns coin flip method.

Preacher
08-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Yep, I too am ALL for bringing Batch back. Let Charile go and re-hire him as a second QB's coach or something.

43Hitman
08-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Yep, I too am ALL for bringing Batch back. Let Charile go and re-hire him as a second QB's coach or something.

I think you meant Byron, Preacher, and I completely agree with you. Byron is better than Batch at this point in their careers. I think a six round pick is fair, do y'all?

SteelMember
08-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I think you meant Byron, Preacher, and I completely agree with you. Byron is better than Batch at this point in their careers. I think a six round pick is fair, do y'all?

That may be fair, but if teams just wait it out and see who gets cut, it won't cost them anything. Even if the Steelers had thoughts of bringing him back, I don't think they'd be interested in the contract he signed in TB, so imo no trade for us. :noidea:

The_WARDen
08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Cut both Batch & Dixon.

Sign Leftwich & Tavaris Jackson and they're set!

:tt02:

steelreserve
08-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Batch, duh. Look how well that tradeoff worked for us last year.

KeiselPower99
08-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Batch is gonna be done after this year anyway. Might as well let him get started on that coaching career a year early.

HometownGal
08-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Bring back Lefty!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200809/20080908mf_steelers13_500.jpg

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::hope:

Nothing (other than a 7th Lombardi) would make me happier!

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2009, 10:51 PM
If Lefty returns, even if they keep Batch this year, he will be gone in 2010.

billybob
08-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Batch knows our system as well as , or even better than most fans . When he was called upon he responded with a 3- 0 record as a starter . I would love to see him retained as a coach in some form . Leftwich responded in his own short tenure . Experience is one thing you can't teach . Ya have to live through the ordeal to gain it . Both have that under thier belts . I would put my money on Batch to stay .

Fire Haley
08-28-2009, 08:06 AM
If Lefty returns, even if they keep Batch this year, he will be gone in 2010.

Who cares? This isn't Madden. We want to win it all againTHIS year.

He played in 5 games last year, went 21 /36 for 303 yards, no interceptions with a 104.3 passer rating.

Too bad Tampa will probably keep him as their starter.

KeiselPower99
08-28-2009, 08:12 AM
If Tampa is smart Leftwich should be the QB.

AllD
08-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Looks like Lefty did a better job than the others last night. He will either be the starter or the first one traded.

Tampa is still going to have a poor season. In the immortal words of John McKay, "Nobody was blocking, but we made up for it by not tackling."

ricksteelers55
08-29-2009, 05:27 AM
The reason why they are shopping the QB's is that they think that both Byron and McCown are pretty much even and they want to see what they can get.My guess is that they will trade the one that they can get the most out of.

What I dont understand though,is that if they trade Lefty and McCown is their starter and he gets injured I really dont think Freeman is NFL ready.Id say he might even be less ready than Flacco was last year,and Flacco had one of the best D in the NFL and a solid running game to back him up which is obviously not the case in TB this year for Freeman.

Galax Steeler
08-29-2009, 06:29 AM
I would have Leftwich back in a heart beat. He stepped in nicely last year when we needed him. If we only keep three quarterbacks then I would say cut Batch we done it without him last year and we can do it again.

KeiselPower99
08-29-2009, 08:52 AM
The reason why they are shopping the QB's is that they think that both Byron and McCown are pretty much even and they want to see what they can get.My guess is that they will trade the one that they can get the most out of.

What I dont understand though,is that if they trade Lefty and McCown is their starter and he gets injured I really dont think Freeman is NFL ready.Id say he might even be less ready than Flacco was last year,and Flacco had one of the best D in the NFL and a solid running game to back him up which is obviously not the case in TB this year for Freeman.

Tampa has a young guy named Josh Johnson that people are really high on in the organization and feel that is Gruden was still coach he would be the starter.