PDA

View Full Version : If Redman can't play special teams, he won't be on the 53-man roster

BlastFurnace
08-27-2009, 05:18 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

At his press conference Thursday, Mike Tomlin pretty much said what I've been stating about Issac Redman since last week - if he can't play special teams, he won't be on the 53-man roster or the red zone back.

It looks like Redman is heading to the practice squad.

Stefan Logan will get another good look as the return man against Buffalo Saturday, but Mewelde Moore will return some punts and rookie Mike Wallace will return kicks in the first half.

Starters Willie Parker (hamstring), Santonio Holmes (back) and placekicker Jeff Reed (ankle) may be held out of Saturday's game.

None of the injuries are serious.

According to the NFL Network, Tampa Bay has put any of its three veteran quarterbacks - including Byron Leftwich - on the trade market.

Don't be surprised to see the Steelers linked to Leftwich. Even though Charlie Batch is back and healthy, Leftwich is a better backup option for the Steelers.

If he can be attained for a low draft pick, it would be worth considering.

BlastFurnace
08-27-2009, 05:19 PM
I wonder if the Steelers would make a play for Lefty?

Fire Haley
08-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Starters Willie Parker (hamstring), Santonio Holmes (back) and placekicker Jeff Reed (ankle) may be held out of Saturday's game.

Let em sit - please.

We need all those guys healthy for the real games.

Sorry Charlie - Bring back Lefty!

revefsreleets
08-27-2009, 05:27 PM

At his press conference Thursday, Mike Tomlin pretty much said what I've been stating about Issac Redman since last week - if he can't play special teams, he won't be on the 53-man roster or the red zone back.

It looks like Redman is heading to the practice squad.

Heresy! Blasphemy! That's our future starting Hall Of Fame Running Back, Mister!

Actually, I think this pretty much marks the "return to reality" portion of preseason...thank Christ, just in time, too!

Fire Haley
08-27-2009, 05:56 PM
The numbers crunch at RB begins.

Redmond should be pretty safe on the practice squad

SteelTalons
08-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Kuhn v2.0

How much longer till he's in Green Bay? :noidea:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Don't start with this "Trade for Leftwich" BS. Our quarterback situation is absolutely fine.

revefsreleets
08-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Don't start with this "Trade for Leftwich" BS. Our quarterback situation is absolutely fine.

Nope, not at all...Ben for Vick straight up...

steelreserve
08-27-2009, 06:25 PM

If we traded Batch for Leftwich straght-up, that'd be an upgrade.

Not that I think we actually would.

Or that Tampa would, for that matter.

tony hipchest
08-27-2009, 06:25 PM
we should trade sean mahan to tampa for lefty. oh wait.... :doh:

they could use a wr. lets give em dallas baker.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
they could use a wr. lets give em dallas baker. I think we should find whoever has Walter Young and trade him for Dallas Baker...or are they the same guy?

NJarhead
08-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Anyone remember Destry Wright? Poor guy. Anyway, this Redman debate sort of reminds me of him. Had he not ended his (much too short) career on that crappy Dallas turf in the preseason, I think he would have easily made the team.

Redman's ability to play ST's and its reflection of making the roster is a no brainer. Personally, I'd like to seem him earn the spot. I want to see what he is capable of. Seen enough Carey Davis and I'm just not that impressed. Although he is excellent on ST.

43Hitman
08-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Heresy! Blasphemy! That's our future starting Hall Of Fame Running Back, Mister!

Actually, I think this pretty much marks the "return to reality" portion of preseason...thank Christ, just in time, too!

No doubt man, looks like SF is about to get some extra cash. If he can't make the team on ST, there is no way in hell he is the starter next season. Pony up Lakelander.

Fire Haley
08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
they could use a wr. lets give em dallas baker.

Now you're blatantly stealing my thoughts.

The Lakelander
08-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot! .... Gary Russell was a special teams demon!

BlastFurnace
08-27-2009, 09:34 PM
I bet Tomlin likes Redman a lot. Tomlin is also a master motivator for improvement.

IMO, he's sending a message to Redman that although he is impressed with him, he wants more out of him.

SteelersMongol
08-27-2009, 09:55 PM

It looks like Redman is heading to the practice squad...

According to the NFL Network, Tampa Bay has put any of its three veteran quarterbacks - including Byron Leftwich - on the trade market.

Don't be surprised to see the Steelers linked to Leftwich. Even though Charlie Batch is back and healthy, Leftwich is a better backup option for the Steelers.

If he can be attained for a low draft pick, it would be worth considering.

This isn't what I expected 2 hear about Redman after seeing how he was in the endzone. But our HC knows a lot more than any ... so I guess V better trust in his judgement.

I wonder if the Steelers would make a play for Lefty?

Not anymore. I love Lefty, but I don't want him anymore with the way Batch & Dixon played out with us.

mmalone
08-27-2009, 10:12 PM
The numbers crunch at RB begins.

Redmond should be pretty safe on the practice squad

redman missed that kick return tackle right in front of tomlin and czech made the tackle.

i think that ended his ST play.

HometownGal
08-27-2009, 10:37 PM

Pray hard Steelers fans. :hope: This would be a dream come true! :banana:

NJarhead
08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Pray hard Steelers fans. :hope: This would be a dream come true! :banana:

Ya really think he's a better option than Chuck? I've always like Lefty and he never disappointed, but niether has CB and he is more mobile....I won't even go into the release time of each QB. lol.

Fire Haley
08-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm watching the Bucs/Miami game - first half.

Lefty is 9/17 - 100yds. Lots of overthrows on open receivers, he's still slinging that rock 100mph.

Luke McCown 0/4 for 0 yds - getting sacked and thrown around like a rag doll.

ricksteelers55
08-28-2009, 12:57 AM
you just dont cut the next Fred Taylor

Steeldude
08-28-2009, 01:45 AM
Mike Tomlin pretty much said what I've been stating about Issac Redman since last week - if he can't play special teams, he won't be on the 53-man roster or the red zone back

so tomlin didn't actually say it? it's just this guy's opinion.

Galax Steeler
08-28-2009, 04:28 AM
I guess we will find out if Reman can play special teams Saturday night. It don't look good for him but we will see.

mmalone
08-28-2009, 05:14 AM
I'm watching the Bucs/Miami game - first half.

Lefty is 9/17 - 100yds. Lots of overthrows on open receivers, he's still slinging that rock 100mph.

Luke McCown 0/4 for 0 yds - getting sacked and thrown around like a rag doll.

Dixon is looking like a starter right now. TB may need to move to the next QB

HometownGal
08-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Ya really think he's a better option than Chuck? I've always like Lefty and he never disappointed, but niether has CB and he is more mobile....I won't even go into the release time of each QB. lol.

HELL YEAH and three times on Sunday. Charlie has a noodle arm, happy feet and can't deal with pocket pressure. Quite the opposite for Leftwich.

Steel Head
08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
so tomlin didn't actually say it? it's just this guy's opinion.

"this guy" has been covering the Steelers for years, goes to Steelers practices and talks to front office people

KeiselPower99
08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
When Ben gets hurt and we know itll happen he plays to hard Dixon is ok but still raw. Batch is a serviceable backup but come on Leftwich can do the same things Ben does. They both love the deep ball and can fire it like crazy. A 6th rounder and welcome back Byron!!!

SteelersinCA
08-28-2009, 10:42 AM
I'd be very happy with Lefty, however to stay with the theme of the OP, bye Redman, thanks for the excitement in the 1st preseason game. Good Luck to you!

Kvnfaber
08-28-2009, 10:55 AM
So, Logan is not going to be the full time return man on Saturday. Do you guys think Tomlin is already sold on a roster spot for Logan after one pre-season game?

I hope so.

NJarhead
08-28-2009, 11:09 AM
HELL YEAH and three times on Sunday. Charlie has a noodle arm, happy feet and can't deal with pocket pressure. Quite the opposite for Leftwich.

I have to disagree. Charlie has gotten it done when asked. I love Lefty's throws, but his wind up is too loooooong and I've seen bats who fly more gracefully than he runs. :chuckle:

43Hitman
08-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot! .... Gary Russell was a special teams demon!

And where is he now?

HometownGal
08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
I have to disagree. Charlie has gotten it done when asked.

As far as handing the ball off - YES. A pet chimp could do the same.

I love Lefty's throws, but his wind up is too loooooong and I've seen bats who fly more gracefully than he runs. :chuckle:

I'll take Lefty's production, grit and 104.3 PR with the Steelers anyday over Batch.

We're hijacking this thread with this topic, so we'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree on Batch. :drink:

BlastFurnace
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
So, Logan is not going to be the full time return man on Saturday. Do you guys think Tomlin is already sold on a roster spot for Logan after one pre-season game?

I hope so.

It's hard to say. Based upon what the other players said on betting if he would take it to the house, and from what we saw on the field...it probably didn't surprise Tomlin as to what Logan could do.

The only one I don't want to see return kicks is Burnett. His hands remind me of Colclough back there.

BlastFurnace
08-28-2009, 11:54 AM

I'll take Lefty's production, grit and 104.3 PR with the Steelers anyday over Batch.

We're hijacking this thread with this topic, so we'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree on Batch. :drink:

I agree with you HTG. I would much rather have Leftwich over Batch any day. I saw Bryon do things last year that Batch hasn't done with us before.

NJarhead
08-28-2009, 11:57 AM

:drink:

Steeldude
08-28-2009, 12:00 PM
i would also rather have leftwich over batch as the 2nd stringer.

anyone notice that the steelers have some fragile backup QBs. dixon may not be classified as fragile yet, but his frame doesn't suggest durability. the reason i bring this up is because of the steelers' poor pass protection. if BR goes down the steelers could lose all 3 in one game. well at least they still have ward as the emergency 4th string QB. btw, he isn't so durable as of late either :smile:

leftwich - fragile
batch - fragile
dixon - most likely fragile

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Redman needs to change his name today to Kuhn then he'll make the roster!

oh wait...maybe not

Psyychoward86
08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Noooooo....i wanted to see Logan all night returning The Rock! A couple screen passes maybe to make up for it? :hunch:

KeiselPower99
08-28-2009, 12:58 PM
It's hard to say. Based upon what the other players said on betting if he would take it to the house, and from what we saw on the field...it probably didn't surprise Tomlin as to what Logan could do.

The only one I don't want to see return kicks is Burnett. His hands remind me of Colclough back there.

NOOOOO!!!! There is that name, We shall never speak of him again.

NJarhead
08-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Redman needs to change his name today to Kuhn then he'll make the roster!

oh wait...maybe not

lol. Maybe he could pull a Joe Theisman and make his name rhyme with Lombardi...."Redbardi?" :doh: Damn! I don't think that will work. :noidea: :chuckle:

How 'bout "Baccardi?" lol

BlastFurnace
08-28-2009, 02:24 PM
NOOOOO!!!! There is that name, We shall never speak of him again.

Believe me....it was hard enough to type it

FacemeIke
08-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Logan needs to be the full time return man. The only reason to give anyone else a look is to figure out who should fill in for Logan should he get injured. End of story.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-28-2009, 04:16 PM
When Ben gets hurt and we know itll happen he plays to hard
Is it possible to play too hard?

Leftwich can do the same things Ben does.

I don't think there's many QB's in the history of the NFL that can do the same things Ben does, to be quite honest. And Leftwich is a good backup, but he can't hold a candle to Roethlisberger.