PDA

View Full Version : How To Save/Burn YouTube Videos?

beSteelmyheart
08-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Is it possible to save your favorite YouTube vids & eventually burn them onto a DVD? I found a bunch of good little work-out videos but would rather have them on a portable format to use on a bigger (& easier to see) screen in an area with more space to move without being confined to working out in the computer room.
Can anyone help?

sixstringlass
08-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah, this is the simplest method: you can download RealPlayer and there is setting during installation that will allow you to download the videos. Then, get the RealPass (or whatever they're calling it) and get the free trial of the subscription service. That'll allow you to burn them to DVD for use on your regular TV.

Just remember: once you're done with it, make sure to call them and cancel the account. Like most companies, they'll try to keep you on by offering more months for free, and you can take it if you want, but just remember to cancel before the end of the free period or they'll charge you $15/month.

there are other methods, too, but they're more complicated.

X-Terminator
08-27-2009, 08:53 PM
RealPlayer SP. Or if you use Firefox, get the DownloadHelper add-on - it has a built-in converter as well.

beSteelmyheart
08-27-2009, 08:57 PM
What are the other methods?
Remembering to call & going through a cancellation hassle seems much more complicated to me, I can't stand dealing with any kind of phone or sales BS & would rather just try to deal with it through the computer only.
Can I get to it through temporary web files?
I'll have to try the Firefox thing-thanks!

MACH1
08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Even easier. If you use Firefox get the Download Helper plugin. Then all you have to do is right click on it.

sixstringlass
08-28-2009, 01:43 AM
I've never gotten a single Firefox plug-in to actually work. Which is why I avoid it.

X-Terminator
08-28-2009, 08:43 AM
I've never gotten a single Firefox plug-in to actually work. Which is why I avoid it.

You're one of the rare people who had problems with Firefox add-ons- I've used it ever since V1, and have never had a problem with any of the ones I've used. I'm currently using 4 different addons - DownloadHelper, Download Statusbar (another great one), Adblock Plus (a must have) and the RealPlayer SP browser recorder - all without so much as a hiccup. Plug-ins, on the other hand...well, those can be a problem at times, but even then, I've not had too many issues with plug-ins (they are two separate items).

RealPlayer SP's browser recorder, BTW, also works with Internut Exploder, in case you prefer it (though I don't know why, what with all of it's security holes and whatnot).

Steeldude
08-28-2009, 11:06 AM
google youtube downloader.

it's easy to use. you enter the URL and the program saves it to your computer.

but by the sound of it, people are saying firefox and their downloader works best. i use firefox, but i have not d/led that add-on as of yet.

Steeldude
08-28-2009, 11:07 AM

really? i have about 5 of them and they all work without a hitch.

i mainly use the add-ons that block ads etc...

Godfather
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Even easier. If you use Firefox get the Download Helper plugin. Then all you have to do is right click on it.

Really? I have that add-on and if I right click a Youtube video the only options are Settings and About Adobe Flash Player 10. No option to save.

Godfather
08-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Nevermind, it's up at the top.

It also saves it as a .flv so you need a converter to make an .mpg from it.

X-Terminator
08-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Nevermind, it's up at the top.

It also saves it as a .flv so you need a converter to make an .mpg from it.

You can download the converter that works with it from here: http://www.downloadhelper.net/install-converter.php. It's a free download, and it will allow you to convert the videos as soon as they are downloaded. You will also need to enable conversion in DownloadHelper Preferences for it to work.

EDIT - nevermind, you have to pay to register it so that it doesn't have the DownloadHelper logo attached to it. Best to download the video and then convert it using RealPlayer SP's converter.

sixstringlass
08-29-2009, 03:11 PM
You can download the converter that works with it from here: http://www.downloadhelper.net/install-converter.php. It's a free download, and it will allow you to convert the videos as soon as they are downloaded. You will also need to enable conversion in DownloadHelper Preferences for it to work.

EDIT - nevermind, you have to pay to register it so that it doesn't have the DownloadHelper logo attached to it. Best to download the video and then convert it using RealPlayer SP's converter.

All the conversion crap and whatnot was I recommended the RealPlayer option to begin with. It's much easier for non-techie types to be able to manage.

But, to each, his or her own.