PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Farrior interested to see if defense can stop the Buffalo run

mesaSteeler
08-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Steelers' Farrior interested to see if defense can stop the Buffalo run
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_640405.html
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 28, 2009

With Saturday night's third exhibition game against Buffalo considered the most important of the preseason, inside linebacker James Farrior is anxious to see how the Steelers defend against the run. Opponents are averaging 118.5 yards on the ground in the first two exhibition games. "We definitely want to emphasize our ability to stop the run," Farrior said Thursday. "That's one of the keys to our success for the whole team.''

Washington rushed for 37 yards on nine carries (4.1 yard average) against the Steelers in its opening drive last week. "We've been out of position a few times, but I think the overall scheme is where it needs to be,'' Farrior said.

At least the Steelers' first-team defense against the Redskins tightened up around the goal line. On third-and-1 from the 2-yard line, backup linebacker Keyaron Fox stuffed Ladell Betts for a 1-yard loss. "He's fitting right in. He had a big stop on the goal line last week,'' Farrior said.

Kicker Jeff Reed has a slightly sprained ankle and may not play Saturday. Reed stepped in a hole during training camp at St. Vincent College but was able to kick against Washington. Reed made a 34-yard field goal but missed from 48. If Reed isn't ready -- he is listed as questionable -- rookie Piotr Czech will kick against the Bills, according to coach Mike Tomlin. Czech made a 41-yarder against the Redskins.

Buffalo receiver Terrell Owens will miss his third straight exhibition game because of a sprained toe. Said cornerback Ike Taylor: "I don't care. At this point, I ain't worrying about nobody else. I'm trying to work on my craft. It's still football. I've got to guard whoever's out there.''

Quarterback Dennis Dixon (shoulder), tight end Sean McHugh (knee) and right guard Darnell Stapleton (knee) won't play. McHugh had arthroscopic surgery Wednesday and will be out about a month. Questionable are wide receiver Santonio Holmes (back) and running backs Willie Parker (hamstring) and Frank Summers (groin).

Digits

50 -- Rashard Mendenhall's team-high rushing yards this preseason.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Galax Steeler
08-28-2009, 03:38 AM
I guess we will see if Timmons can stuff the run. I hope our whole defense comes together Saturday and starts playing some ball.

revefsreleets
08-28-2009, 09:53 AM
I guess we will see if Timmons can stuff the run. I hope our whole defense comes together Saturday and starts playing some ball.

He can't. He won't. He sucks. We're doomed.

saracasm

Psyychoward86
08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
That thug Lynch needs to learn some lessons. Stuffing him outta do it.

Indo
08-28-2009, 01:50 PM

saracasm

I've noticed that it has become necessary to point out when you're being sarcastic
I refuse...eff 'em if they can't figure it out!

ARIANS SUCKS!!

OneForTheToe
08-28-2009, 03:33 PM

saracasm

Well if he can't maybe we can trade him for vick.:thmbup::nana::sly::angel:

SteelMember
08-28-2009, 05:03 PM
I've noticed that it has become necessary to point out when you're being sarcastic
I refuse...eff 'em if they can't figure it out!

ARIANS SUCKS!!

I may go with that myself...

Fire the BUM!

Fire Haley
08-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Fire our SB winning offensive coordinator?

Brilliant!

tony hipchest
08-28-2009, 09:29 PM
steelerfans have cam cameron envy. how did we let the ravens get him?

when arians is fired we need to hire brian billick.

"greatest show on grass"!!! :tt02:

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Fire our SB winning offensive coordinator?

Brilliant!

Great Idea!!!!!!

NOT!