PDA

View Full Version : McNabb booed? "We want Vick!"

Fire Haley
08-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Didn't you hear the McNabb booing? I hope this move bites McNabb and Reid in the ass.

"We want Vick! We want Vick!" it's already started.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-08-27/for-confident-vick-skys-limit

Another potential problem is that whenever McNabb struggles, fans may clamor for Vick.

"It will be an interesting dynamic if Michael Vick plays well and Donovan McNabb doesn't," Esiason said. "In Philadelphia, all hell could break loose."

Even Thursday night, there was a brief moment when fans chanted, "We want Vick." It sounded funny Thursday. It will not sound funny in November if the Eagles are on a losing streak.

"McNabb is one of the few quarterbacks who is so established that he can handle it," said Phil Simms, former Giants quarterback and current CBS analyst. "But it will happen in Philly. Sooner or later they will want Michael Vick to be quarterback this year, I don't care how McNabb's playing. McNabb seems to handle problems pretty well. But if you make me say yes or no, I'd say yes, it's probably going to be a problem."

43Hitman
08-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Kind of hard to believe that both fan bases(Steelers/Eagles) are in the same state. They are polar opposites of each other.

HometownGal
08-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Kind of hard to believe that both fan bases(Steelers/Eagles) are in the same state. They are polar opposites of each other.

Aint that the truth?

Eagles fans are the most fickle (and ignorant) fans in the NFL. As soon as Vick makes even the slightest mistake, they'll pelt him with snowballs and whatever else they can get their drunken little mitts on. Hell - they threw snowballs at and booed Santa Claus a few years back. :shake02:

fansince'76
08-28-2009, 11:38 AM

I very distinctly recall hearing the same crap last season with Ben/Lefty. The ONLY thing that saved us from about ten thousand "Ben sucks," and "Ben: the $102 Million Bust" threads this offseason was his performance in the postseason and SB. And following the first bad game Ben has this season people will be right back to riding his ass again. No, in this regard, Eagles fans and Steelers fans are very much alike, like it or not.

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2009, 11:39 AM
It won't surprise me if they turn on Vick just as fast.

43Hitman
08-28-2009, 11:46 AM
I very distinctly recall hearing the same crap last season with Ben/Lefty. The ONLY thing that saved us from about ten thousand "Ben sucks," and "Ben: the $102 Million Bust" threads this offseason was his performance in the postseason and SB. And the first bad game Ben has this season people will be right back to riding his ass again. No, in this regard, Eagles fans and Steelers fans are very much alike, like it or not.

Yeah, but the fans were not booing Ben and chanting Lefty. Or throwing shit at players, or Santa Clause for that matter.

revefsreleets
08-28-2009, 12:22 PM
McNabb is still one of the best QB's in the NFL.His 85 QBR ain't great, but it's a full 10 points higher than Vicks. McNabb also has a very nice 194 TD/90 INT ratio, and is no slouch running averaging 5.8 a carry over the years and 26 rushing TD's. McNabb is also a fairly model citizen by NFL standards.

The fans in Philly are idiots.

KeiselPower99
08-28-2009, 12:52 PM
My buddy is a Eagles fan and cannot stand Vick and couldnt stand Reid before. He said id they win 5 games this year he will be happy.

St33lersguy
08-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Didn't McNabb carry the team to 5 NFC championship games, winning one over Vick. McNabb is the better QB, Vick is mediocre plus he hasn't played in 3 years. Eagles fans are idiots.

PisnNapalm
08-28-2009, 02:48 PM
McNabb is a head case. Its already eating into McNabb's psyche.

steelreserve
08-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Aint that the truth?

Eagles fans are the most fickle (and ignorant) fans in the NFL. As soon as Vick makes even the slightest mistake, they'll pelt him with snowballs and whatever else they can get their drunken little mitts on. Hell - they threw snowballs at and booed Santa Claus a few years back. :shake02:

I think Eagles fans are just depressed. When I lived there, if I talked to any of them a day or two before the game, 90% of them were like, "OK, what's going to go wrong now?" They're even worse than 49ers fans.

It's like when they're losing, they love to be cynical, and when they're winning, they can't believe it. I have no idea why that is, but they really do have some kind of masochistic bent.

I doubt McNabb cares much. He's already been able to shrug off the same shit for 10 years, so why would this be the one that rattles his cage?

JackHammer
08-28-2009, 03:10 PM

It's amazing what a well placed mountain range can do :thumbsup:

I very distinctly recall hearing the same crap last season with Ben/Lefty. The ONLY thing that saved us from about ten thousand "Ben sucks," and "Ben: the $102 Million Bust" threads this offseason was his performance in the postseason and SB. And following the first bad game Ben has this season people will be right back to riding his ass again. No, in this regard, Eagles fans and Steelers fans are very much alike, like it or not.

This comparison makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You're trying to compare our message board crowd with their fans in the stands. Every teams' message boards have people who say all kinds of crazy things. That's the nature of the internet. Just because you have 20 people on a forum who want Lefty starting b/c Ben has a bad game doesn't mean it's gonna turn into a chant it at Heinz Field. That's the difference between us and Philly.

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Yeah, but the fans were not booing Ben and chanting Lefty. Or throwing shit at players, or Santa Clause for that matter.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baltimore-ravens/09000d5d80b3f9f4/Tired-of-being-booed

Big Ben said the hometown boos incited his halftime tirade, which sparked the offense to play better.

43Hitman
08-28-2009, 03:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/baltimore-ravens/09000d5d80b3f9f4/Tired-of-being-booed

I didn't hear anywhere where the fans where chanting for Lefty. Also, an instance or two here or there does not equate 20 years worth of shitty fans in Philly.

JackHammer
08-28-2009, 03:34 PM

I was at that game. It wasn't Ben who was being booed. It was the whole offense. There were no chants to bring in Lefty either.

X-Terminator
08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I didn't hear anywhere where the fans where chanting for Lefty. Also, an instance or two here or there does not equate 20 years worth of shitty fans in Philly.

You're talking about a fan base who harassed and berated a 4-time SB champion and 2-time SB MVP so much that he didn't come back to Pittsburgh for 20 years.

So yeah, The Nation isn't much better than Philthy fans in that regard. They are and have been just as harsh and fickle.

fansince'76
08-28-2009, 03:40 PM
You're talking about a fan base who harassed and berated a 4-time SB champion and 2-time SB MVP so much that he didn't come back to Pittsburgh for 20 years.

So yeah, The Nation isn't much better than Philthy fans in that regard. They are and have been just as harsh and fickle.

Thank you. That's exactly what I was getting at. Fans are fans, regardless of whether they're on the web or in the stands.

43Hitman
08-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Actually I had forgotten about that. It was pretty bad in the Korkie days too, but he deserved it. I guess I was just surprised to hear that in a pre-season game.

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2009, 03:54 PM
at least the steelers didn't start the boo's the day he was drafted....:laughing:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kBJEfmQA9q4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kBJEfmQA9q4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

43Hitman
08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
at least the steelers didn't start the boo's the day he was drafted....:laughing:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kBJEfmQA9q4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kBJEfmQA9q4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Very true. We can ALL agree on that. :drink:

fansince'76
08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
This comparison makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You're trying to compare our message board crowd with their fans in the stands. Every teams' message boards have people who say all kinds of crazy things. That's the nature of the internet. Just because you have 20 people on a forum who want Lefty starting b/c Ben has a bad game doesn't mean it's gonna turn into a chant it at Heinz Field. That's the difference between us and Philly.

As X-T pointed out, there's a reason Bradshaw didn't set foot in Pittsburgh for a good 2 decades after he retired. I'll leave it at that.

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2009, 04:08 PM
When Fans Attack: The 10 Worst Fanbases in Sports

10. Chicago Cubs fans

The Shane Victorino thing aside, Cubs fans make this list for their continuous "woe is me" attitude. Nobody likes sports fans who feel sorry for themselves, and Cubs fans are the best at that. If the Cubs lose three games in a row in April, they start thinking about next year. I mean, c'mon.

9. New York Rangers fans

Somebody needs to tell these people that the New York metro area actually has two other hockey teams.

New York Rangers fans act like they own the hockey world and frown upon anyone who roots for the Devils and Islanders, despite the fact that both clubs have won more Stanley Cups in the past 50 years than the Rangers (Islanders four, Devils three, Rangers one).

8. Boston Red Sox fans

Remember that nerd from high school that developed some computer chip, struck it rich, and now thinks he's hot stuff? Well, that's the Red Sox fan in a nutshell.

Only a few years ago they were the AL version of Cubs fans, always down, always pessimistic, always willing to accept failure. They were lovable losers.

Then they win a couple of rings, and BAM, now they're Yankee fans. Nothing like forgetting your roots. Sickening. PATRIOTS ANYONE ???

7. St. Louis Cardinals fans

People have referred to them as the best fanbase in baseball. They're always happy, and they never boo their own team or players. It's like having a fanbase full of Mr. Rogers clones and kindergarten teachers.

Cheering and saying good job for bad play is OK in youth sports, but not for professionals. I'm sorry, but if somebody on my team strikes out four times, I'm not giving him a standing ovation, period.

These fans make the rest of us normal people look bad.

6. New Jersey Nets fans

Do they even exist?

If they do, then this is how pathetic they are...when the Nets were on their way to the Finals against the LA Lakers, I decided to go to an Eastern Conference championship game against the Celtics. I drove to the arena, walked up to the ticket window, and purchased two tickets on the day of the game.

Empty seats for a conference title game means you really suck as a fanbase.

I bet they'll be the first to cry foul when the Nets move to Brooklyn, too.

5. Philadelphia Eagles fans

These are the same fans who hate their quarterback, despite the fact that he's never in trouble, played with a broken ankle, and led the Eagles to five NFC title games and one Super Bowl in 10 seasons.

And don't even think about wearing your team's colors in "The Linc." I once saw them smack a cheesehead off a 10-year-old kid's head. :toofunny:

But what do you expect from fans who once threw snowballs at Santa Claus?

4. Dallas Cowboys fans

Nothing is more pathetic than an elitist fanbase whose team hasn't even won a playoff game since Bill Clinton was President.

Still, Cowboys fans will argue how good they are every year (even when they're not), how Tony Romo is the best QB in the division (even though he has yet to win a big game, while Donovan McNabb has been to five championship games and one Super Bowl, and Eli Manning has won a Super Bowl), and how they're the Yankees of the NFL (even though the Steelers have won more championships).

And when they have no argument, they just revert to talking about the 1990s.

3. New York Yankee fans

The elitist snobs of the fan world, the Yankees have won more championships than any team in any sport, and their fans will let you know it.

Never mind that the Yankees haven't won it all in almost 10 years, didn't make the playoffs last year, and are currently behind the rival Boston Red Sox in championships this decade. Yankee fans will still walk with their noses in the air as they make their way to their $2,500 seats to watch their $200 million team, while still complaining that the Yankees didn't get Roy Halladay at the trade deadline.

The Yankee fan has a sense of entitlement and little sense of fiscal responsibility or reality.

2. Oakland Raiders fans

These people are just lunatics, period.

They paint their faces, dress like Tina Turner in Mad Max, and actually believe that despite weighing only 150 pounds, wearing face paint, a mohawk, and shoulder pads with foam spikes will strike fear in the hearts of pro football players who are big enough to get tackled by Ray Lewis and live to tell about it.

And their team still sucks.

1. Philadelphia Phillies fans

If Philadelphia had 10 sports teams, then chances are no other city would crack this list.

For years these fans simply used the baseball season to pass the time until it was time to travel to Lehigh University to watch Eagles training camp, but now that the Phillies are champions, there are Phillies jerseys and caps all over the place, more and more McNabb jerseys being replaced by Ryan Howard jerseys.

As a Mets fan I have personally had my manhood challenged, my wife and son insulted, food and drinks thrown at me, walked to my seats amid chanting of @$$ hole, and had a grown man tell my children they suck for being Mets fans. I can personally attest to these individuals being vile, bottom-feeding, fickle sports fans.

These same people gave the best third baseman ever, their very own Mike Schmidt, a terrible time his entire career, and once threw batteries at J.D. Drew (come to think of it, who wouldn't love to throw batteries at J.D. Drew?).

They are simply the worst fanbase in all of sports, period.
UMMM THEY'RE ALSO THE IGGLE FANS...

X-Terminator
08-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Don't know how in the world the Flyers didn't make that list. They definitely should have been on there over St. Louis Cards fans. I mean, how can you give a fanbase flak for always being behind their team no matter what? They should be applauded for it. That's why they are the best fans in sports, period. Sorry Nation.

I won't disagree that Philthy fans are the worst in pro sports. The Nation and Pittsburgh fans in general are an order of magnitude better than them all-around. But that doesn't mean that their hands are squeaky clean, because they clearly are NOT. And I won't hesitate to point that out wherever possible.

And just to reaffirm how bad it is to be a Mets fan at a Phillies game, there was a well-publicized video of a Phillies fan punching out a Mets fan at a game 2 weeks ago. And need I remind everyone of the Phillies fan that was beaten to death outside a nightclub next door to the stadium by other Phillies fans? Yeah, they prove their unworthiness each and every year.

Steel Head
08-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Philly fans are trash

proven fact

i'd rank Red Sox fans higher than Yankees

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Don't know how in the world the Flyers didn't make that list. They definitely should have been on there over St. Louis Cards fans. I mean, how can you give a fanbase flak for always being behind their team no matter what? They should be applauded for it. That's why they are the best fans in sports, period. Sorry Nation.

I won't disagree that Philthy fans are the worst in pro sports. The Nation and Pittsburgh fans in general are an order of magnitude better than them all-around. But that doesn't mean that their hands are squeaky clean, because they clearly are NOT. And I won't hesitate to point that out wherever possible. people around here need to apply that logic in thier government party bashing post...:popcorn:

steelreserve
08-28-2009, 04:37 PM
2. Oakland Raiders fans

These people are just lunatics, period.

They paint their faces, dress like Tina Turner in Mad Max, and actually believe that despite weighing only 150 pounds, wearing face paint, a mohawk, and shoulder pads with foam spikes will strike fear in the hearts of pro football players who are big enough to get tackled by Ray Lewis and live to tell about it.

And their team still sucks.

I'd put them at #1, if only because of personal experience. I don't care who boos the loudest -- you can't even go to the game if you're not rooting for the Raiders, unless you want to get in an actual fistfight. This is no joke; you'll usually have something like 30 people getting arrested for violence every game, and a lot more getting into smaller fights. My friend Carlton is usually among them.

OneForTheToe
08-28-2009, 04:57 PM
I listened to McNabb's presser after the game, and while he was respectful as always, you could tell he has had enough of the wildcat experiment. He seized of the question of how difficult it is to get into a rhythm when you are being sent to wide out every few plays. Only Andy Ried would be arrogant enough to mess with one of the more productive o's in the league just to prove a point. If Andy wants a better offense he could just try calling an actual running play to an actual running back (like maybe Brian Westbrook, maybe), say after every four or five pass plays . A truly novel idea, Andy.

There are idiot fans of every team and every sport (even Pittsburgh), but Philli seems to have an inordinate number of fans who don't seem to appreciate what they have.

Honestly, they don't deserve McNabb(or Mike Richards :wink02: ).

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Honestly, they don't deserve McNabb(or Mike Richards :wink02: ).

yeah its a crying shame they didn't get ricky williams like they wanted....:banging:
i just can't figure out why mcnabb keeps renewing with them... i'd have been out of there as soon as my rookie contract was up.

steelreserve
08-28-2009, 05:30 PM
i just can't figure out why mcnabb keeps renewing with them... i'd have been out of there as soon as my rookie contract was up.

How many times have you seen a pretty good QB go to another team and then not quite be the same, and two years later he's riding the bench at the veteran minimum and hoping for a shot to prove he can still play?

That's why he doesn't leave. Regardless of what the fans are like in Philly, he's got something that works, which is more than a lot of QBs can say. I doubt he'll bail on them until it either comes down to money or they really do demote him to No. 2 one day.

Preacher
08-28-2009, 05:42 PM

Thank you. That's exactly what I was getting at. Fans are fans, regardless of whether they're on the web or in the stands.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Fire Haley
08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
I listened to McNabb's presser after the game, and while he was respectful as always, you could tell he has had enough of the wildcat experiment. He seized of the question of how difficult it is to get into a rhythm when you are being sent to wide out every few plays. Only Andy Ried would be arrogant enough to mess with one of the more productive o's in the league just to prove a point.

Couldn't of said it better myself

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2009, 05:55 PM
i wonder if the bungles would have taken mcnabb over smith had philly taken williams.... probably not.

SteelMember
08-28-2009, 06:23 PM
It won't surprise me if they turn on Vick just as fast.

Just wait for the inevitable scamble on which he fumbles. They'll start throwing batteries.

Didn't McNabb carry the team to 5 NFC championship games, winning one over Vick. McNabb is the better QB, Vick is mediocre plus he hasn't played in 3 years. Eagles fans are idiots.

I was going to point out how they booed him on draft day, but MOP already posted the link. Which btw, the list of top 10...2 philly teams you could also add the fliers too as XT said.

This is very true. Can't argue with that. Some even swug their Bradshaw dolls by a hangmens noose.
It happens everywhere...some just take it to a higher level.

touchdownward
08-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Oh the most beloved man on the team, the backup QB.

McNabb brought this on himself by reportedly lobbying for Vick. The love affair with Vick won't last, the Philly fickles will see to it.

DoubleSh0t
08-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I live in Eagles territory (and most of you know I was an Eagles fan at one time) and a lot of people have given up on the season already. The offense is messy. A lot of the problem is bringing in Vick during the middle of a series and messing up the rhythm of the offense. They also don't have their entire OL intact. And their defense is just awful this year.

There's one common thought among all Eagles fans right now whether they love or hate Vick: It's that it doesn't make football-sense to have him. McNabb is already ridiculously insecure about his job and then you bring a guy like Vick in to further threaten him?

I'm just glad we're not dealing with this mess. I can just silently chuckle at my friends and coworkers as they watch their team start to fall apart.

JackHammer
08-29-2009, 07:01 PM
As X-T pointed out, there's a reason Bradshaw didn't set foot in Pittsburgh for a good 2 decades after he retired. I'll leave it at that.

You can leave it at that but I won't. TB admitted that he had BIG TIME anxiety problems that also contributed to his long time away from Pittsburgh. It wasn't just some deep anger towards the fans. Also, I'm not even basing my opinion on the moral side of this. My reasoning is simply that Philly fans are stupid. I don't care how hard we were on TB, we NEVER, I repeat, NEVER would have been chanting to bring in his back up in a preseason game if he were coming off of a season where he threw for nearly 4,000 yards, 23 TD's, and 11 int's as McNabb did last season.

X-Terminator
08-29-2009, 10:32 PM
You can leave it at that but I won't. TB admitted that he had BIG TIME anxiety problems that also contributed to his long time away from Pittsburgh. It wasn't just some deep anger towards the fans. Also, I'm not even basing my opinion on the moral side of this. My reasoning is simply that Philly fans are stupid. I don't care how hard we were on TB, we NEVER, I repeat, NEVER would have been chanting to bring in his back up in a preseason game if he were coming off of a season where he threw for nearly 4,000 yards, 23 TD's, and 11 int's as McNabb did last season.

See, I'm not that confident that they wouldn't. If the fans couldn't keep from booing/jeering Tommy Maddox during the fricking victory parade for XL, what makes you think they wouldn't ever call for the backup in that situation? Hell, there were fans calling for Ben to be benched last year, in the middle of an eventual SB winning season, and coming off a season where he broke Bradshaw's record for TD passes in a season and had 2 perfect passer rating games.

Our fan base is fickle as hell, dude. Time to face fact.

SteelersMongol
08-30-2009, 11:14 AM
This is sad.

The_WARDen
08-31-2009, 01:58 PM
maybe I was watching the wrong game but I am pretty sure that the backup QB Kolb threw the pick that prompted the mock "We want Vick!" chant?

It had nothing to do with McWormball in that game. Week 6 may be a different story.