PDA

View Full Version : Bad Back May Force Marvel Smith to Hang It Up

mesaSteeler
08-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Bad Back May Force Marvel Smith to Hang It Up
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/28/bad-back-may-force-marvel-smith-to-hang-it-up/
Posted Aug 28, 2009 9:15PM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

When the San Francisco 49ers signed veteran right tackle Marvel Smith in the offseason, they knew they were taking a gamble. If Smith could stay healthy, the 49ers would get a solid former Pro Bowler that would solidify a position that was a disaster for the 49ers in 2008.

But they were signing a player who had been knocked out of each of the past two seasons by back problems. Smith apparently has not been able to make it out of the preseson, as the Sacramento Bee is reporting that Smith is expected to retire on Sunday or Monday. He did not make the trip to Dallas for the 49ers preseason game this weekend for what coach Mike Singletary called personal reasons.

San Francisco had already announced that Adam Snyder had beaten out Smith for the starting right tackle job, even though Snyder allowed 9 1/2 sacks (according to Stats Inc.) in 13 starts last year.

If this is the end for Smith, it's a sad end to what was a pretty solid career. Smith had spent the first nine years of his career as a starter for the Steelers, earning one Pro Bowl berth and two Super Bowl rings, although he was on the injured reserve during last year's Super Bowl run.

It's hard to fault the 49ers for taking a chance on Smith. He had surgery during the offseason and was optimistic that he had put the injury behind him. If it had worked out, he would have served as a significant upgrade for the 49ers at a bargain rate (his two-year, $10.5 million deal was largely based on incentives). But now, San Francisco is back where they started.

(Marvel was a great player for us and I wish him well. Also it looks like the front office had the timing right on when to let him go. - mesa)

tony hipchest
08-29-2009, 01:04 AM
(Marvel was a great player for us and I wish him well. Also it looks like the front office had the timing right on when to let him go. - mesa)him and simmons who isnt even getting a sniff. (although the steelers screwed the pooch when they threw him a large deal a coupla years ago, they made up for it by extending aaron smith).

simmons, smith, hartings, faneca.... wow. and to think people expect us to replace that with a blink of an eye.

pretty amazing we went from winning 1 champ in 05 with all of them to winning one in 08 with none.

KeiselPower99
08-29-2009, 01:07 AM
Marvel was a solid guy for us and I wish him the best after his career ends. Maybe he should take a year off and rest it and try again. It kinda worked for Kyle Turley

Galax Steeler
08-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the nine years of service Marvel wish you the best.

HometownGal
08-29-2009, 07:22 AM
I am saddened to hear this. Best of luck to Marvel and I hope there is a doc somewhere out there who can fix him so that he can enjoy his retirement! :hope:

Psyychoward86
08-29-2009, 12:18 PM
At least now we can confirm that the FO made the right choice. Pity things ended this way for him

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-29-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm surprised that he passed his physical with San Fran.

He had a good career in the NFL, made some $$ and got 2 rings. Hopefully his health is such that he can enjoy the new phase of life, relatively pain free.

OX1947
08-29-2009, 02:21 PM
You know what, Marvel Smith played in the NFL twice as long as the average player, Super Bowl champ, pro bowler. He has had a great career, hang them up man, you do not mess with the back.

mesaSteeler
08-29-2009, 05:08 PM
49ers OT Marvel Smith announces retirement
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1208425.html

San Francisco 49ers offensive tackle Marvel Smith announced his retirement on Saturday after playing nine years in the NFL.

"I would like to thank Marvel for his service to the 49ers organization over the last several months," said head coach Mike Singletary. "Marvel and I have spoken, and I know that this was not a decision he took lightly. We appreciate that he came to us when he did with this decision, and wish him well in the next chapter of his life."

The 31-year-old Smith was taken 38th overall in the second round of the 2000 draft by Pittsburgh out of Arizona State. A 2005 Pro Bowl selection, Smith played right tackle in his first three seasons with the Steelers before shifting over to the left tackle spot.

Part of two championship teams in Pittsburgh, 108 of Smith's 111 career games were starts and he has also made another 10 starts in the postseason. He was signed by the 49ers this past offseason.

(Best of luck to you Marvel. - mesa)

fansince'76
08-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Best of luck to Marvel. :drink:

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Good luck with the rest of life, Marvel.

My pops has problems with a ciatic nerve/disk in his lower back too. It is a chronic problem that puts him to bed for a week about once or twice a year. There are some cutting edge surgeries out there that can supposedly help, but none are for sure.

We as Steeler fans are thankful for the great seasons he played for us.

SteelCityMan786
08-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Best of luck Marvel. At least you got 1 last Super Bowl Ring before you retired. You will be missed. :thumbsup: