PDA

View Full Version : RedZone Redman

AvoidLLoyd95
08-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Looks like he may have found a roster spot, what do you all think?

thebus36idf
08-29-2009, 09:53 PM
I think I'd take him over Tank. They'd be crazy to let him go.

MasterOfPuppets
08-29-2009, 09:53 PM
yup..13 att...31 yds.... that oughta do it.....impressed the hell outta me...:coffee:

2.1 avg per rush...we're back to power running football folks...:tt03:

BlastFurnace
08-29-2009, 09:56 PM
He looks really slow. He may make the roster, but he's nothing that special.

AvoidLLoyd95
08-29-2009, 10:01 PM
He looks really slow. He may make the roster, but he's nothing that special.

Just need him to pound it for 2 to 3 yards or punch it into the endzone, don't need to be too speedy for that role.

MasterOfPuppets
08-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Just need him to pound it for 2 to 3 yards or punch it into the endzone, don't need to be too speedy for that role.
and as tomlin himself said, that alone won't get him a roster spot.

AvoidLLoyd95
08-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Maybe not, but he sure gave him alot of time in the second half to show what he can do. I'm not saying he is the next Bettis or Foster or even Bam Morris, but I think he will make the team based on his play tonite. If not, then at least the practice squad.

LVSteelersfan
08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Still playing against backups. Not that impressed. He should power through their backups if he was really any good. He is certainly better than Justin Vincent though.

sharkweek
08-29-2009, 10:08 PM
and as tomlin himself said, that alone won't get him a roster spot.

Exactly, players that low on the food chain have to be useful to the team elsewhere.

AvoidLLoyd95
08-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Still playing against backups. Not that impressed. He should power through their backups if he was really any good. He is certainly better than Justin Vincent though.

Well, he is a backup as well so I think that cancels itself out.

SteelTalons
08-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Redman's screwed. Might have good vision and what not, but his speed is whats gonna screw him out of an NFL career. And really we don't need a ton of RB's... And if I have to pick between Logan and Redman for the extra spot... Sorry Redzone Redman, maybe you can get you a job on NFL RedZone but your not actually gonna be scoring in an NFL Redzone again as far as Im concerned. Or at least not with us anyway. :wave:

LVSteelersfan
08-29-2009, 10:11 PM
I actually like him better than Gary Russell. I am sure he got himself a roster spot although I have been rooting for the Tank all preseason. Damn injuries.

AvoidLLoyd95
08-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Don't forget, he is basically a "walk on" and is outplaying some drafted players, I think he did pretty good, but that is just my opinion.

MasterOfPuppets
08-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Maybe not, but he sure gave him alot of time in the second half to show what he can do. I'm not saying he is the next Bettis or Foster or even Bam Morris, but I think he will make the team based on his play tonite. If not, then at least the practice squad. just because his 2.4 yds per att. impressed you, i doubt it impressed the coaches. :popcorn:

thesteelersreport.com
08-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Tank is going to Practice Squad, if he's lucky....Redman & Logan continue to impress.

-----------------------
THE STEELERS REPORT 2009® (http://www.thesteelersreport.com/index.html)

AvoidLLoyd95
08-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Don't just look at the YPC, he did not go down very easily and moved the pile forward when he hit it. Like I said before he may not be heading to the hall of fame but I think he may have a chance.

fansince'76
08-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Don't just look at the YPC, he did not go down very easily and moved the pile forward when he hit it.

I noticed he failed to convert a 4th and 1 against a bunch of guys who, for the most part, will be bagging groceries and washing cars come Labor Day.

jjpro11
08-29-2009, 11:00 PM
yup..13 att...31 yds.... that oughta do it.....impressed the hell outta me...:coffee:

2.1 avg per rush...we're back to power running football folks...:tt03:

you can't judge him on that. most of his carries were in obvious running situations. he faced 8-9 guys in the box every time, granted they were backups.. but he also had backups blocking for him.

honestly, i think he runs harder than than Gary Russell, and Russell was pretty successful in his role for us last season. this is a crowded backfield, i just hope the coaches make the right decision on who stays and who goes. remember, it was between Willie Parker or Dante Browns to make the team at one point.. thankfully the coaches were able to make the right decision then.

O Sensei
08-29-2009, 11:06 PM
I've gotta rewatch some of it tomorrow, but I think he's probably PS material right now, maybe, maybe roster, Redman that is....I'm hopin' like H that Logan gets on, dude might even be better than what we're seein'. :thumbsup:

Hotrodder07
08-29-2009, 11:15 PM
He may be a good power back for short yardage, but there's no way he's making the roster only doing that. If it comes down to Stefan Logan vs. RedZone Redman, Logan gets the spot easily. Redman hasn't impressed me much. Sure, he scored twice in the opener, but since then, what has he down? Not much. Sorry to say it, but Redman isn't making the team. Bye Isaac! :wave:

The Lakelander
08-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Redman has now rushed for 30+ yards in the 4th quarter in the two games he has been given a chance. That is workmanlike stuff ... especially considering that his O-line tonight absolutely blew in their run blocking.

Redman broke a screen pass into a real sweet 19 yard gain tonight as well.

He totaled 50 yards in a little over one quarter of football and did most of it on his own!

Master of Pimples is way too smart for most of us. :chuckle: But he simply doesn't have a clue when it comes to football. :rofl:

fansince'76
08-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Redman has now rushed for 30+ yards in the 4th quarter in the two games he has been given a chance. That is workmanlike stuff ... especially considering that his O-line tonight absolutely blew in their run blocking.

He totaled 50 yards in a little over one quarter of football and did most of it on his own!

Master of Pimples is way too smart for most of us. :chuckle: But he simply doesn't have a clue when it comes to football. :rofl:

He wants a job as a short yardage back, he better be able to pick up a lousy yard against wannabe scrubs.

AvoidLLoyd95
08-29-2009, 11:34 PM
I noticed he failed to convert a 4th and 1 against a bunch of guys who, for the most part, will be bagging groceries and washing cars come Labor Day.

Like someone commented before, he was behind backups as well, and he didn't go down on the first two hits of that play. It was also obviously a run up the middle so they basically had 9 in the box. I'm just looking for opinions here, I am not in love with the guy but in my OPINION I think he makes the team, I could be wrong and if I am, so what....

MasterOfPuppets
08-29-2009, 11:34 PM

yeah ummm ok...so that gives him 66 yds on only 25 attempts...:jawdrop: ...my god !!! quick sign him up !!!
ok so when mendenhall has a bad day its because of his lack of " glide and suddeness " ...(by the way do you realize how gay that sounds ? ), but when its redman its "the line" ....keep up the foolish babbling...its ammussing..:toofunny:

O Sensei
08-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Well, there will be little or no starter activity against Carolina...we'll see what Redman does there....
If it's redman or logan though....I'm going with the guy that gets the huge returns, cause I'm confidant in either my QB, or my starting RB, or his backup...a first round pick....to get a damn yard if the need arises. Practice squad IMO, what they REALLY need is a completely competant lead blocker and then this all becomes moot.:coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
08-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Undrafted rookie Isaac Redman made a name for himself early in training camp when he scored five times in seven attempts in a goal-line drill in practice, but Tomlin reiterated yesterday that he will have a hard time making the 53-man roster unless he demonstrates that he can do more than carry the ball into the end zone.

"A lot of times those roles are determined by other things," Tomlin said of which back will get the most carries near the goal line. "Is a guy good enough to make a 53-man roster? Is he capable of doing other things? A lot of times a guy that is a candidate gets an opportunity because he's a functional special teams player. That's not only what gets them on the team but gets them a game-day hat.

"Gary Russell was able to get an opportunity to be [the goal-line back] in the past because he was a reliable special teams player. ... I would imagine that if our goal-line runner is anyone other than Willie Parker or Rashard Mendenhall it will be because they're capable of doing other things. That's where we are with it."

Tomlin discussed the importance of being versatile with Redman before he addressed reporters yesterday. He said he was merely telling him what it will take for him to make the team.
hows redman doin on the special teams ?...... see ya isaac
:wave:
i wouldn't be suprised if they go with only 3 rb's and give the roster spot to logan.

LVSteelersfan
08-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Instead of RedZone Redman I am afraid it will end up being Practice Squad Redman. Was that him that got hurt on the very last play of the game? He was limping pretty bad. I am just afraid that Frank the Tank lost his chance to unseat the very unspectacular Davis due to his injury. Some of those blocks he threw were absolutely pathetic for a FB.

ricksteelers55
08-30-2009, 01:22 AM
sorry to disappoint all the Redmanaholic but this guy has NOTHING special AT ALL.

Im tired of hearing those he's a bruiser,he's tough to bring down and the next Bettis comments

HEY,some of you said that Mendenhall was disappointing against Arizona week 1 because he got something like 2.5 yds per carry against 1st and 2nd stringers,but now the new hero Redman got 2.4 against 3rd and 4th stringers and it's because of the line or whatever the reason.

Some people(me include) were bitching against Russel because he got stuffed behind the line of scrimmage on a couple of short yardage plays last year,well guess what at least it was against 1st stringers in real season and playoffs games.

Like someone pointed out the guy couldnt do much against guys that will be working in a grocery store 2 weeks from now.

Let me say this,if it's between Logan and Redman it's not even close it's Logan.

and heck if it's between Redman and Summers even if he has been injured I take Summers,at least he can play special teams.

the only place I might consider Redman is in the Practice Squad,but I doubt that we will be able to sign him there,cause the guy is so good another team will pick him for sure.

wootawnee
08-30-2009, 02:23 AM
You gotta look at it this way......Logan is 28 years old and a rookie rb...He took 5 years off before he went to college.........He has no future to be a starter on the team.......You give the return duties to a young guy coming up that is gonna start you hope in the line up in a couple of seasons........Like Joshua Cribs did......He just did really well and made a name for himself so now he catches balls and still returns kicks.......A young guy getting his feet wet.....I see Mendy running back kickoffs this year........What is he 22?.....Ya give Keenan Lewis, Mike Wallace, and Joe Burnett looks in the punt return game and you got Tone to go in there with the right return situations............We need the spots.......It would be great to have a Joshua Cribs, but I would rather be the champs of the world, than the kickoff return champs of the league like the Browns......Tank is gonna be a great full back, that can run the ball too....How many can do that?....Me Mo is definatly the 3rd down back....Ben would never let him go...They gelled.....You got Mendy, Willie......And the last spot is up for grabs.......WHo do you pick..?..Reddman,Davis,Logan,who?.....Who is gonna benefit the team long term?......Who is gonna be on the field with the offense the most and has the most unique skills of the 3?......That is a tough one........

MACH1
08-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Logan is a weapon that can be utilized now. I think he has a place on this team.

Obviously the guy can catch a ball and I think the Steelers have a little more up their sleeves planned for for him.

Galax Steeler
08-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Logan is a weapon that can be utilized now. I think he has a place on this team.

Obviously the guy can catch a ball and I think the Steelers have a little more up their sleeves planned for for him.

I can see him being more then a return man. I think they might bring him in on a run play for a reverse or a passing play. I guess we will have to wait and see.

KeiselPower99
08-30-2009, 09:36 AM
After watching the Arizona game I believed the hype on this kid. He may have a nose for the endzone but unless he has a monster game Thursday running and on ST he is practice squad bound. Parker is the starter and Mendenhall the more he carries it seems the more he wants the ball. Im not a Mendenhall fan at all I still think the pick was wasted. None the less he did show me he has potential. Moore has the 3rd down back spot locked up. So its between Logan (the KR we have needed for years) Summers( FB that has been hurt) Vincent and Redman. Id go with Vincent over RedZone Redman. Sorry yall, Also to throw this in Carey Davis is our FB this year unless Summers gets healthy fast.

KeiselPower99
08-30-2009, 09:37 AM
I can see him being more then a return man. I think they might bring him in on a run play for a reverse or a passing play. I guess we will have to wait and see.

What about a reverse with both Logan and Wallace on the field?

X-Terminator
08-30-2009, 10:03 AM

And you say you don't talk down to people.

Anyway, give it up, man. Redman is NOT making the team, much less becoming the next Fred Taylor or taking Mendenhall's job next season. It is almost a foregone conclusion at this point.

AllD
08-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Redman ran out of gas after 12 carries. He needs to get on the treadmill.

Psyychoward86
08-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Lol, i remember after the first preseason game The Lakelander jumped on his bandwagon crowning him the next Fred Taylor :rolleyes:. Reasons why he still has a fat chance to make the 53 this year:

1) Terrible cardio
2) He's running behind backup lineman, but also against a backup defense, conjuring up a very measly YPC
3) That 4.76 40 yard dash speed is really showing. Powerbacks still need to be able to hit the hole. The Bus ran what, a 4.5 or a 4.6? And he was a lot bigger than Redman

I hope he's on the practice squad at least for now.