View Full Version : Roethlisberger will play in preseason finale

mesaSteeler
08-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Roethlisberger will play in preseason finale
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_640809.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 31, 2009

In completing 15 of 19 passes for 168 yards against the Buffalo Bills on Saturday night, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looked ready for the start of the regular season.

But Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Roethlisberger will see some action Thursday night in the preseason finale against the Carolina Panthers, tempted as he may be to not expose the six-year veteran to any injury risk.

"Ben's the type of guy that if his guys are going, he's going to want to go," Tomlin said. "I'm sure they're going to get some snaps."

Against the Bills, Roethlisberger did not appear to be limited by the bruised right Achilles tendon he has been nursing.

Big night for Logan

Stefan Logan certainly didn't hurt his chances of making the Steelers' 53-man roster Saturday night, and the diminutive but electric return man may have enhanced them.

Building on the eye-opening performance he had against the Washington Redskins on Aug. 22, Logan averaged nearly 16 yards on four punt returns in the Steelers' 17-0 win over the Bills.

"He's earned the right to continue to be watched," Tomlin said. "He has our attention."

The 5-6, 180-pound Logan did not get a chance to return any kickoffs Saturday. Mike Wallace handled the only one Buffalo had in the game.

Logan, the former Canadian Football League star who signed with the Steelers in February, is averaging 13.9 yards on eight punt returns during the preseason. The Steelers averaged just 6.0 yards per punt return in 2008.

"He's been very impressive," Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said.

When Logan was asked if he has made a strong enough argument to open the regular season with the Steelers, he said: "Hopefully I did. ... Hopefully I'm here."

Tomlin praises O-line

The five players who could comprise the Steelers' starting offensive line played together Saturday night for the first time this preseason.

While the Steelers had trouble running the ball at times - they finished with 81 rushing yards on 33 carries -- Roethlisberger generally got plenty of time to throw, as reflected by his completion percentage of 79 percent.

"I thought our pass protection was excellent," Tomlin said.

Center Justin Hartwig and left guard Chris Kemoeatu didn't play in the first and second preseason games, respectively, because of injuries.

Trai Essex has been starting at right guard with Darnell Stapleton sidelined because of a right knee injury. There is no timetable for Stapleton's return, and he is a long shot to play against the Panthers.

Extra points

Starting inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons may be limited in practice this week because of an ankle injury. Tomlin said the injury is "nothing long-term." ... The Steelers are required to make their first roster cuts by 4 p.m. Tuesday. They must cut at least five players from their 80-man roster. ... Steelers quarterbacks had a 104.6 passing rating against the Bills. Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch and Mike Reilly combined for just six incompletions in 31 pass attempts. That is the same number of completions Buffalo starting quarterback Trent Edwards had in two-plus quarters of action.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Galax Steeler
08-31-2009, 06:23 AM
I hope they don't let Ben play to long we can't afford for him to get hurt right before the season. I think that Logan has made the team we should see alot more of him against Carolina.