PDA

View Full Version : Keisel close to signing new deal with Steelers

mesaSteeler
08-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Keisel close to signing new deal with Steelers
Monday, August 31, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are closing in on a five-year contract with defensive end Brett Keisel that could be finalized today.

Keisel, 30, has been a starter on the right side of the defense since 2006. He likely will be the last player the Steelers sign to a contract extension before the start of the season. He had one year left on the contract he signed in 2006.

Keisel, represented by Monroeville native Eric Metz, was a seventh-round draft choice in 2002 from Brigham Young. He has started 42 games since 2006.

Keisel is the latest in a long line of players the Steelers will have re-signed this season, including linebacker James Harrison, guard Chris Kemoeatu, tackle Max Starks, guard Trai Essex, tight end Heath Miller, wide receiver Hines Ward and linebacker Keyaron Fox.

First published on August 31, 2009 at 12:15 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09243/994451-66.stm#ixzz0Pimc2EHJ

OX1947
08-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Amazing. The Steelers seem to not want to lose anyone on this team. Props to the Steelers, I never thought it would happen, but you have outdone yourselves.

KeiselPower99
08-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Awesome!!! Not only can I get the Keisel jersey now I wont have to change my name on here anytime soon. I was looking forward to Legursky Lunatic though.

tony hipchest
08-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Keisel is the latest in a long line of players the Steelers will have re-signed this season, including linebacker James Harrison, guard Chris Kemoeatu, tackle Max Starks, guard Trai Essex, tight end Heath Miller, wide receiver Hines Ward and linebacker Keyaron Fox.]

the rooneys are cheap and never sign any free agents.

... not to mention the likes of big ben or troy p. who were made rich in the past 2 years (or even a. smith or simmons).

Steel_Bus_24
08-31-2009, 12:28 AM
what does this do to our ability to keep Jeff.....I think we got to find a way to keep him....not too many kickers can kick as good as him at Heinz

Keisel deserves some love though, hes been pretty good in there

Preacher
08-31-2009, 12:35 AM
These signings make next year's work quite a bit easier.

It leaves with with whom now?

Parker, Hampton, Reed.

Is that it?

Dang. No real reason that they can't make deals and pretty much keep all of them!

tony hipchest
08-31-2009, 12:51 AM

Parker, Hampton, Reed.

Is that it?

Dang. No real reason that they can't make deals and pretty much keep all of them!

clark... gay... (not to mention woodley or holmes who should never enter the final years of their contracts)

as long as the steelers keep winning, the league is good and the cap will continue go up. if goodell is hellbent on stomping down the steelers, and washing the balls of the patriots, and serving drinks to the jones and snyders, who knows.

Preacher
08-31-2009, 12:55 AM
clark... gay... (not to mention woodley or holmes who should never enter the final years of their contracts)

as long as the steelers keep winning, the league is good and the cap will continue go up. if goodell is hellbent on stomping down the steelers, and washing the balls of the patriots, and serving drinks to the jones and snyders, who knows.

dang I forgot about Clark.

Nevertheless, I think we can get it down.

tony hipchest
08-31-2009, 01:00 AM
dang I forgot about Clark.

Nevertheless, I think we can get it down.tomlin will be extended this year or he will enter the dreaded "duck" season the steelers never let their HC's enter if they want to retain them.

good thing coaches dont count towards the cap.

bad thing is the rooneys dont have money to piss into the wind like alot of other owners (especially after having to purchase shares of their own franchise)

Preacher
08-31-2009, 01:05 AM
tomlin will be extended this year or he will enter the dreaded "duck" season the steelers never let their HC's enter if they want to retain them.

bad thing is the rooneys dont have money to piss into the wind like alot of other owners (especially after having to purchase shares of their own franchise)

Yeah, but Tomlin is a smart guy.

I am SURE he would take a 3 year contract for a little more money and a promise of more to come when the ownership gets a few years away from this deal.

I dont' remember, do we have any big contracts closing out next year that we can re-up and gain some cap room from? (then again, with an uncapped season, I have a feeling that we WILL see a higher cap this coming year.

steelreserve
08-31-2009, 01:11 AM
No offense to Keisel, but I thought he was the most expendable of the starters on the D-line. Still, this is good news, because I'd sure rather have him than not. Goes to show management thinks we can keep winning championships with the same team we've got, which is true.

I'm amazed they got this done, since I thought we were like 12 bucks under the salary cap.

Don't think it'll affect what happens to Reed. We can just throw a few extra bucks his way next year whenever we part ways with one of the guys who's likely to be released anyway. (Batch, C. Davis, B. Davis, maybe McHugh or Spaeth come to mind)

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2009, 01:12 AM
tomlin will be extended this year or he will enter the dreaded "duck" season the steelers never let their HC's enter if they want to retain them.

actually they asked art about that before the game saturday...he said it would be addressed after the season...:noidea:

Preacher
08-31-2009, 01:23 AM
No offense to Keisel, but I thought he was the most expendable of the starters on the D-line. Still, this is good news, because I'd sure rather have him than not. Goes to show management thinks we can keep winning championships with the same team we've got, which is true.

I'm amazed they got this done, since I thought we were like 12 bucks under the salary cap.

Don't think it'll affect what happens to Reed. We can just throw a few extra bucks his way next year whenever we part ways with one of the guys who's likely to be released anyway. (Batch, C. Davis, B. Davis, maybe McHugh or Spaeth come to mind)

I know exactly what you mean about Keisel. I thought the same thing. But am also glad to see them get this done.

As far as who would be released next year. Who knows. I thought it would be Batch this year. But he seems to have come back better than I thought. Carey Davis will be with us for awhile. B. Davis, well, yeah, I doubt he will be around. I don't know about the TE's. We will of course keep 3 of them. So what does that do ?

In the end I think you are right. We will have the money from one of these cut contracts to give to Reed.

That leaves Parker, Gay, Holmes, Hampton. Gay is going to be the toughest one because I think he gets the biggest bump in salary... from a low round draft pick to a starter on a SB team (and I think he has a very good season).

Holmes will get his salary.

That leaves Hampton and Parker. Parker has Mendy, Hampton has Hoke. I think there is about the same amount of dropoff between the both of them, and Ziggy may come back in as NT if he can get stronger.

Parker however, sounds like he may take a HT discount. Will Hampton?

If the cap increases just enough, I think we can sign all of them.

steelreserve
08-31-2009, 01:37 AM
I dont' remember, do we have any big contracts closing out next year that we can re-up and gain some cap room from? (then again, with an uncapped season, I have a feeling that we WILL see a higher cap this coming year.

Do you mean like we did with Hines Ward? The biggest one I can think of where that would make sense is Ike Taylor. Although I doubt we'd save any money that way, since we're not paying him a premium deal to begin with. We'll be lucky to keep him at the same price.

The biggest boost we'll get is from the $7 million in dead money coming off the books from Simmons ($4.6) and Mahan ($2.4). That'll be a nice chunk of change. After that, it's probably about redistributing the salaries of guys whose deals have ended...

Parker is about $4.5 million, for one.

Townsend is about $2.4M, depending on what happens to him.

Batch is about $800K, I think.

There are a few guys from the active roster worth about a million apiece who might either get released this season or just not re-signed, depending: Madison ($1.1M), Carter ($838K), Kirschke ($1.3M), McHugh ($750K), Spaeth ($650K) ... although I don't think any of those guys would save us the whole amount, since we'd probably have to spend at least a half-million each to replace them.

steelreserve
08-31-2009, 01:41 AM
That leaves Parker, Gay, Holmes, Hampton. Gay is going to be the toughest one because I think he gets the biggest bump in salary... from a low round draft pick to a starter on a SB team (and I think he has a very good season).

I honestly wonder, if Gay turns out to be that good, do we maybe keep him around instead of re-signing Taylor the year after? It'd be a leap of faith, but who knows. More likely we keep Ike, give Townsend's money to Gay after this season (which ought to keep him happy for a couple years), and promote one of the new guys to take Townsend's place.

Preacher
08-31-2009, 02:04 AM
Do you mean like we did with Hines Ward? The biggest one I can think of where that would make sense is Ike Taylor. Although I doubt we'd save any money that way, since we're not paying him a premium deal to begin with. We'll be lucky to keep him at the same price.

The biggest boost we'll get is from the $7 million in dead money coming off the books from Simmons ($4.6) and Mahan ($2.4). That'll be a nice chunk of change. After that, it's probably about redistributing the salaries of guys whose deals have ended...

Parker is about $4.5 million, for one.

Townsend is about $2.4M, depending on what happens to him.

Batch is about $800K, I think.

There are a few guys from the active roster worth about a million apiece who might either get released this season or just not re-signed, depending: Madison ($1.1M), Carter ($838K), Kirschke ($1.3M), McHugh ($750K), Spaeth ($650K) ... although I don't think any of those guys would save us the whole amount, since we'd probably have to spend at least a half-million each to replace them.

Oh snap!!!

I forgot about the 7.some odd mill in dead money. I think the final cap increase will probably eat up at least half of the salary increases we will see going into next year, which means that we may have what... 2 or 3 million for next year to deal with? Maybe 4 mill.

I wonder if Parker signs for the same amount as last year? Maybe just a bit more? That would definitely be nice.

Hampton is 6.6 million against the cap this year. Does he sign for that next year? How much more would he want? THose two together equal 11 million. I think we can make cap friendly deals with them, and also sign Gay and Holmes.

So to recap, it looks like we will have Willie and Hampton with no contracts--- and a TOTAL of around 8 million in recovered cap money (We are carrying a mill of Foote's cap money too). That means that we may have 19 million next year to take up the extra contracts... plus Hampton, Parker, Gay, and Holmes.

Holmes will also take a BIG chunk out, as he had 700,000 against the cap this year plus probably a mill in the signing bonus, for a total of 1.7 mil.

FSUBoo
08-31-2009, 04:22 AM
I honestly think we NEED to resign Clark. Having him allows us to have the luxury of have Troy freelancing like he does. We don't have Clark, Troy is forced to play a more disciplined game, and I love Troy with his freedom

Fire Haley
08-31-2009, 04:29 AM
Meh with the Keisel signing thing - I would have made sure we got Clark first.

Galax Steeler
08-31-2009, 06:10 AM
I think we need to get Clark signed he is on heck of a saftey. We can't afford to let him get gone. I also think that Reed needs to be high on the list he is a great kicker hopefully we can find a way to get them signed as well.

Texasteel
08-31-2009, 06:53 AM
I think we need to get Clark signed he is on heck of a saftey. We can't afford to let him get gone. I also think that Reed needs to be high on the list he is a great kicker hopefully we can find a way to get them signed as well.

I am very disappointed that Clark is not signed yet. However there are often things going on that we don't know about. I will just hope for the best. I would hate to have to pick a new favorite Steeler.

KeiselPower99
08-31-2009, 08:06 AM
Clark will be signed after the season and Reed will be franchised. Im wondering what we do with Hampton. I know we have Hoke but he isnt a young n but has fewer snaps on his body then does Hampton. As for Tomlin he did sign a 4 yr contract but there was a 5th year option. So technically he has 2 years left on his contract.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 08:26 AM
I am very disappointed that Clark is not signed yet. However there are often things going on that we don't know about. I will just hope for the best. I would hate to have to pick a new favorite Steeler.

Might I suggest future Hall of Famer "Redzone" Redman?
:chuckle:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-31-2009, 10:08 AM

Parker, Hampton, Reed.

Is that it?

Ryan Clark next...Keisel power is right they will Franchise Reed next year. Willie well he needs to stay healthy this year b/4 getting a new contract.

Psyychoward86
08-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Reed and Clark, please keep them :hope:

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Clark will be signed after the season and Reed will be franchised.

lol, neither of these is a sure thing

if anything, franchising Hampton makes the most sense

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 10:51 AM
lol, neither of these is a sure thing

if anything, franchising Hampton makes the most sense

I agree. Basically the contract of Clark might be easily made up by the contract savings of other guys that might not be here next season like Townsend and Ratliff. Also, remember there probably will be no cap if a new contract isnt done with the NFLPA and both the transition and franchise tag can be used.

I think Clark and Hampton are more important.......and Czech could be the new PK in 2010 for all we know.

BlastFurnace
08-31-2009, 11:21 AM
I honestly wonder, if Gay turns out to be that good, do we maybe keep him around instead of re-signing Taylor the year after? It'd be a leap of faith, but who knows. More likely we keep Ike, give Townsend's money to Gay after this season (which ought to keep him happy for a couple years), and promote one of the new guys to take Townsend's place.

If Gay ends up being that good, he is going to get McFadden money ($5 Million and up). I wouldn't be surprised if his contract is a one and done with us like McFadden's was. I hope we can keep him, but there are others that will be just as important.

BlastFurnace
08-31-2009, 11:23 AM
I honestly think we NEED to resign Clark. Having him allows us to have the luxury of have Troy freelancing like he does. We don't have Clark, Troy is forced to play a more disciplined game, and I love Troy with his freedom

I agree with you. Clark is a must sign. Not only because of how good he is, but because there is no-one on the roster that can replace him.

Psyychoward86
08-31-2009, 11:24 AM
If Gay ends up being that good, he is going to get McFadden money ($5 Million and up). I wouldn't be surprised if his contract is a one and done with us like McFadden's was. I hope we can keep him, but there are others that will be just as important.

Actually, didn't Mcfadden get less money from the Cardinals than he would have gotten from us?

BlastFurnace
08-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Another guy who I can see leaving is Holmes. He is going to get BIG money in the FA market. Not to mention, if Sweed has a nice year this year, I could see him being a solid starter.

I still think that Casey is gone after this year unless he is wiling to take a 3 year deal. With his age and the amount of guaranteed money he will want, I don't see how it will/can happen.

BlastFurnace
08-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Actually, didn't Mcfadden get less money from the Cardinals than he would have gotten from us?

I think we offered him more money over a longer time period, but what we couldn't match is the $5 Million per year salary that Arizona offered him. They knew we couldn't match that, that is why they structured the contract that way.

Psyychoward86
08-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Another guy who I can see leaving is Holmes. He is going to get BIG money in the FA market. Not to mention, if Sweed has a nice year this year, I could see him being a solid starter.

I still think that Casey is gone after this year unless he is wiling to take a 3 year deal. With his age and the amount of guaranteed money he will want, I don't see how it will/can happen.

There was an article on Holmes thoughts about his newfound fame from the Superbowl about a week ago. He said he's not looking for money or stats at all, just more superbowls :hunch:. Just food for thought.

lilyoder6
08-31-2009, 11:35 AM
i think holmes won't be much of a d-bag when it comes to contract time... i think he is a humble person and won't go for the big contract rather than playing on a good team and having a chance to win the SB evry yr

Steel_Bus_24
08-31-2009, 11:40 AM
We're not letting holmes go.....hes Wards replacement when the warrior finally walks off into the sunset

No Way would we go into a season with Sweed and Wallace as our #1 threats

BlastFurnace
08-31-2009, 12:14 PM
There was an article on Holmes thoughts about his newfound fame from the Superbowl about a week ago. He said he's not looking for money or stats at all, just more superbowls :hunch:. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the food! Seriously, I hope he stays. I've just heard so many athletes say it's not about the money....when...it's about the money.

Holmes is one of my favorite players on the Steelers. I love his attitude and the confidence that he plays with. I really want this guy to stay.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 12:15 PM
The one question that I have is if this season is the last for Aaron Smith. The guy is one of the best in the NFL, but will be 34 next year in his 12th season and final year of his contract.

Is it possible he retires after 2009 with his 2 SB rings and leaves the future DE's to be Keisel, Hood, Eason and RaShon Harris??

steelreserve
08-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh snap!!!

I forgot about the 7.some odd mill in dead money. I think the final cap increase will probably eat up at least half of the salary increases we will see going into next year, which means that we may have what... 2 or 3 million for next year to deal with? Maybe 4 mill.

I wonder if Parker signs for the same amount as last year? Maybe just a bit more? That would definitely be nice.

Hampton is 6.6 million against the cap this year. Does he sign for that next year? How much more would he want? THose two together equal 11 million. I think we can make cap friendly deals with them, and also sign Gay and Holmes.

So to recap, it looks like we will have Willie and Hampton with no contracts--- and a TOTAL of around 8 million in recovered cap money (We are carrying a mill of Foote's cap money too). That means that we may have 19 million next year to take up the extra contracts... plus Hampton, Parker, Gay, and Holmes.

Holmes will also take a BIG chunk out, as he had 700,000 against the cap this year plus probably a mill in the signing bonus, for a total of 1.7 mil.

Honestly, the way I see it going is, we use the $7M in dead money to extend Holmes and Clark; that'll probably eat up all of it. We probably let Townsend go (or he takes a pay cut) and give that money to Gay.

No offense, but signing Parker to the same contract would be a huge bonehead move for us financially, and I'm not just saying that because I don't like him. So Parker walks or takes a big pay cut (not likely) and we split that money up between Hampton and someone else (Woodley?). Hampton is not going to take a cap-friendly deal -- he's stated publicly that he wants to get paid and we need to step up. I don't think he can realistically ask for more than a million or two more, since he's already at $6.6M. If he wants a $60M blockbuster deal, he can have fun playing for the Raiders.

We'll also have to decide what to do with Colon, because his RFA timer is running out -- that could cost us a couple million extra if we give him a mid-level OT's deal.

I honestly don't see the salary cap going up much, if at all, this year. Leaguewide revenue is going to take it on the chin. Even if they still sell out most of the games, a lot less people are going to buy $7 beers and $100 replica jerseys. I bet the networks are having trouble selling all their ads at standard rates too. I don't think that'll affect the league immediately, but maybe when the next TV contract comes up.

steelreserve
08-31-2009, 12:55 PM
The one question that I have is if this season is the last for Aaron Smith. The guy is one of the best in the NFL, but will be 34 next year in his 12th season and final year of his contract.

Is it possible he retires after 2009 with his 2 SB rings and leaves the future DE's to be Keisel, Hood, Eason and RaShon Harris??

No, but it is possible he retires after 2009 with his three Super Bowl rings. :wink02:

I also thought he was under contract through the end of 2011. (link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07059/765522-66.stm)) But at that age, it wouldn't surprise me if a guy retired at the end of any given year.

Smith certainly doesn't seem like he's feeling any ill effects or diminishing skills due to age, though. He's still one of the best in the game at what he does. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him play out his contract either.

steelreserve
08-31-2009, 12:56 PM
i think holmes won't be much of a d-bag when it comes to contract time... i think he is a humble person and won't go for the big contract rather than playing on a good team and having a chance to win the SB evry yr

Seriously ... it doesn't matter whether you're making $1 million or $10 million -- that's still way more weed than you can smoke in a year.

SteelTalons
08-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Seriously ... it doesn't matter whether you're making $1 million or $10 million -- that's still way more weed than you can smoke in a year.

True, but Holmes seems to like a challenge. :smoker:

Texasteel
08-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Might I suggest future Hall of Famer "Redzone" Redman?
:chuckle:

No, no you can not.