PDA

View Full Version : Mendy and the spin-aroo

CanadianSteel
08-31-2009, 01:07 PM
I will pre-face this saying its just an observation from a guy who knows nothing about playing RB ....but I have been watchingn Medenhall in the pre-season a little and have noticed that he likes to do 360 spins after contatct or to avoid hits etc..

Do you think its better that he use his power in some of these cases to get extra yards, and do you think he needs to work on fixing it ??

I am sure it works at certain times, but to me spinning away from and not lookiong at the contact coming seems like a bad trait....

Tell me I am out to lunch here :blah: or does anyone else see this

Thoughts.....

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 01:10 PM
He spins after contact to continue to fall forward. Probably did it in college and had success, so will continue to do in the the NFL until somebody catches him with a big shot.

I have no problem with it, but the real question is if Kirby Wilson has a problem with it.

moedap
08-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Trying to spin out of tackles. I remember Willie Parker mentioning that technique last year.

billybob
08-31-2009, 01:24 PM
There have been other backs that have used the same type of moves, and have been successful . Guess you actually spin away from that direct contact , when you utilize those type of moves . I don't think it is a bad thing. You surely can't do it on every run though . Sometimes a tacklers arm on your shoulder spins you in that direction . As long as he keeps the legs a churning and makes positive yardage , i see no faults in it . We all have different styles of accomplishing the same tasks .
Maybe it was the dancing lessons he had been taking .
Some backs plow through would be tacklers , some leap over them , and some spin away . Guess Rushard is a spinner .

VolatileMan
08-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Speaking of backs that have used the spin, the one that comes to mind for me (and yes Im old) is Chuck Forman nubmer 44 for the Vikings.

Ive seen that guy hit the whole, do a left 360 to avoid a linebacker, then do a right 360 to avoid a saftey and end up rumblin downfield for a huge gain. But you have to remember Forman was never one to avoid contact, thats what made it effective when he used it. Backers were bracing for a serious collision then he'd spin right out thier grasp!

If done right, and not too often, it can be a very effective weapon. But it is prefaced on the fact that the back has to have the rep of being a bruiser. I wish Bettis had used it, he was the perfect back for it. Hard hitting, yet nimble on the feet.

PisnNapalm
08-31-2009, 01:55 PM
What happened the last time he lowered his shoulder and hit a linebacker straight up? Ray Ray broke him.

I won't harp if Mendy changes his style a bit as long as it's successful.

mmalone
08-31-2009, 02:02 PM
did any of you catch the annoucer and the named Sprint-Draw play.. we ran 2-3 times
with mendy.

It seemed to produce some yards...

not bad.

LVSteelersfan
08-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Spinning is ok as long as he doesn't spin straight into someone who makes him fumble the ball. He needs to tuck that ball in or he will be a big time fumbler. Please fix that coaches before the real games start.

SteelMember
08-31-2009, 03:20 PM
I've seen Parker and Vincent do the same thing. It could be something coached.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Hey, if it works then let him do it.

I just want him to stop putting the damn ball on the turf!