PDA

View Full Version : looks like Stapleton to IR...

7willBheaven
08-31-2009, 12:20 PM
From Jim Wexell.....

jimwexell: Darnell Stapleton just told reporters he's going on IR. Congrats, Doug Legursky

also...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_640878.html

Thoughts?

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow...that means he is gone for the year!!!! This will make some people VERY happy.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 12:29 PM
good news because now he won't eat up a roster spot

let him take a year to get healthy

we have quality backups in Legursky, Foster and Urbik so we don't need Stapleton this year

7willBheaven
08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Think this means they'll keep Leg, Urbik, Hills and either Foster or Capizzi as backups....i can live with that.

Fire Haley
08-31-2009, 12:40 PM
The Steelers informed Stapleton today that they will place the third-year man on injured reserve.

Stapleton, who started the final 15 games at right guard last season, hasn't practiced since the beginning of training camp. He had arthroscopic surgery at the beginning of August.

He said the injury won't require additional surgery which provided at least a little consolation for Stapleton following the news he received from director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

"It's tough to swallow, to be away from football for a year," Stapleton said. "I'm going to be around the whole time training and getting healthy to come back next year."

The loss of Stapleton all but assures that Trai Essex will open the season as the Steelers' starting right guard.

-------------------------------------------

This means they definitely wanted the roster spot for someone, if his injury didn't require more surgery.

KeiselPower99
08-31-2009, 12:43 PM
WOOHOO!!!! Legursky congrats buddy!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 12:49 PM
So the O line depth may look like this:

Starters:
Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Essex, Colon

Reserves:
Hills, Legursky, Urbik, Capizzi, Foster

I think with all the young guys on the roster that they keep 10. I would not be surprised to see them grab a veteran off the waiver wire from another team.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 12:53 PM

Starters:

Reserves:

I think with all the young guys on the roster that they keep 10. I would not be surprised to see them grab a veteran off the waiver wire from another team.

I think you are right on the money...I had Foster on my PS...now he makes the team with Stapleton gone.

Better than average chance that we never see Stapleton in Black & Gold again. I also thing that Legursky is starting before the year is over.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Better than average chance that we never see Stapleton in Black & Gold again. I also thing that Legursky is starting before the year is over.

how do you figure? Stapleton might not start for us again but he will be back as a backup C/G (roster spot opens up next year when Hartwig is gone)

I don't think Legursky will start a single game this year unless there is an injury (I think he will be our starting center next year)

steelreserve
08-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the team, Foster. You certainly got your lucky break.

I also agree that Stapleton's probably seen his last days with us. One of the other guys is going to play better and make us forget all about him. About his only chance is competing for the center job if Hartwig leaves. Although he'll have a lot of competition even for the backup job.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 01:05 PM
how do you figure? Stapleton might not start for us again but he will be back as a backup C/G (roster spot opens up next year when Hartwig is gone)

I don't think Legursky will start a single game this year unless there is an injury (I think he will be our starting center next year)

Stapleton is a wave player at best and only started due to injury...Who is he going to beat next year for a slot...Kemo? Essex? Urbik? Foster?

Lergursky was a bright spot this preseason on the o-line and held himself one-on-one against some very good opposition. He wont start at center this year...but he will get starts at Guard...no doubt about it.

mmalone
08-31-2009, 01:06 PM
2-4 weeks turned into a year off.

or were they going to cut him anyway. he would get paid either way???

or is he an option for backup center next year, keep him on the IR.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Stapleton is a wave player at best and only started due to injury...Who is he going to beat next year for a slot...Kemo? Essex? Urbik? Foster?

He'll get his shot just like everyone else. Hartwig will be gone. Legursky will likely be the starting center. It might be between Shipley and Stapleton for a backup Center spot

but he will get starts at Guard...no doubt about it.

wrong, it is very doubtful he gets starts at guard. you don't just start mixing up your starting O-line for no reason. Essex was very impressive last game (seems like he gets better every game as you would expect from a guy learning a new position). Kemo is kemo but they aren't just going to bench him for the hell of it. Legursky will only start if their is an injury

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the team, Foster. You certainly got your lucky break.

I also agree that Stapleton's probably seen his last days with us. One of the other guys is going to play better and make us forget all about him. About his only chance is competing for the center job if Hartwig leaves. Although he'll have a lot of competition even for the backup job.

Exactly...legursky is a better Center AND Guard than Stapleton...Shipley will be our backup OC next year and that makes Stapleton the odd man out. The only who will miss him is Darnell Dockery.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 01:13 PM
wrong, it is very doubtful he gets starts at guard. you don't just start mixing up your starting O-line for no reason. Essex was very impressive last game. Kemo is kemo but they aren't just going to bench him for the hell of it.

You do realize that he started at Guard in the pre-season...right?

Legursky will only start if their is an injury

On most planets that would make him a starter.:doh:

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 01:16 PM
You do realize that he started at Guard in the pre-season...right?

On most planets that would make him a starter.:doh:

dude what's your deal? I know you are in love with Legursky but come on

He started game 1 because Hartwig was injured and he started game 2 because Kemo was injured. Neither were serious injuries and they would have likely played if it were a real game

Are you one of those retarded losers who hopes for injuries? I personally hope our starting 5 stays healthy, build good chemisty and come together as a group

Fire Haley
08-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Stefan Logan - come on down!

You got your roster spot.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Stefan Logan - come on down!

You got your roster spot.

yeah, that's what just happened lol

Fire Haley
08-31-2009, 01:22 PM
It's obvious they liked what they saw from Trai at RG - they were going to make him starter anyway.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 01:25 PM

He started game 1 because Hartwig was injured and he started game 2 because Kemo was injured. Neither were serious injuries and they would have likely played if it were a real game

Are you one of those retarded losers who hopes for injuries?

So you dont like someone disagreeing with you....so you call names and imply homosexual tendencies...I guess thats easier than actually using facts.

Very mature.

Grow up and discuss like an adult please.

LVSteelersfan
08-31-2009, 01:26 PM
If they usually keep 9 Olinemen, I doubt they will keep 10 this year. This was a move to get Logan on the team. Stapleton was a weak link there any way. Someone has to be better than him. Let's hope Essex does better than Stapleton did last year. They looked fairly good (except maybe Starks) in that last game, but it was only the Bills. So that doesn't say much I guess.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 01:27 PM
So you dont like someone disagreeing with you....so you call names and imply homosexual tendencies...I guess thats easier than actually using facts.

Very mature.

huh? i didnt do that

Legursky isn't a starter this year, get over it

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 01:28 PM
If they usually keep 9 Olinemen, I doubt they will keep 10 this year. This was a move to get Logan on the team. Stapleton was a weak link there any way. Someone has to be better than him. Let's hope Essex does better than Stapleton did last year. They looked fairly good (except maybe Starks) in that last game, but it was only the Bills. So that doesn't say much I guess.

I agree. Essex is coming along nicely. Although some people are hoping he gets hurt so Legursky can play :rolleyes:

mmalone
08-31-2009, 01:30 PM

Very mature.

i think he said you were a retarded loser...

we all love some player on the team. thats cool. thats not a homo tendency.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
i think he said you were a retarded loser...

we all love some player on the team. thats cool. thats not a homo tendency.

no, i said people that hope players on their own team get hurt are retarded losers

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 01:34 PM
huh? i didnt do that

Really?

Originally Posted by Steel Head

Are you one of those retarded losers who hopes for injuries?

As I said...grow up...use facts..and when you cant...dont attack.

mmalone
08-31-2009, 01:34 PM
no, i said people that hope players on their own team get hurt are retarded losers

right... but the homo thing makes us all homos for loving our players.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 01:36 PM
As I said...grow up...use facts..and when you cant...dont attack.

I meant, in love with as a player (like one of your favorite players) not in a homosexual way

I think you need to grow up and use facts. FACT - LEGURSKY IS NOT A STARTER FACT

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 01:38 PM

I tend to think that the term implies more towards those who make personal attacks because of their lack of knowledge and inability to have discussions with grownups

Never said or implied that I hoped someone would get hurt...What I DID say was that Stapleton will not be missed by alot of people in this forum if he doesnt come back from the injury. Your whole argument (and attack) is based on a lack of reading comprehension.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 01:51 PM
I tend to think that the term implies more towards those who make personal attacks because of their lack of knowledge and inability to have discussions with grownups

Never said or implied that I hoped someone would get hurt...What I DID say was that Stapleton will not be missed by alot of people in this forum if he doesnt come back from the injury. Your whole argument (and attack) is based on a lack of reading comprehension.

What you DID say was that Legursky will be getting starts this year (you said it twice).

I pointed out that he is a backup, not a starter and will only start because of an injury

SteelMember
08-31-2009, 02:03 PM
Get back on track guys....

Stapleton is/was a BUM! He deserved to be cut! He won't be missed.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 02:11 PM
What you DID say was that Legursky will be getting starts this year (you said it twice).

Yes I did.

I pointed out that he is a backup, not a starter and will only start because of an injury.

...and so did you.:doh:

...and you went on to say that he would be a starter next year...which I agree with.

So you agree with me that he may get starts this year and that he is a future starter....Thank you.

....Moving on.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Stapleton is/was a BUM! He deserved to be cut! He won't be missed.

Agreed...Thanks for filling in....Thanks for helping us get another ring...Now its time to strengthen the line and move on.

lilyoder6
08-31-2009, 02:29 PM
well isn't this the last yr on stapleton's contract?

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2009, 02:40 PM
well isn't this the last yr on stapleton's contract?

You bring up a good point...this is in fact the last year of Stapletons contract.

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
i think he got stuck on IR to make a spot for foster hills may end up on the PS to make room for capizzi.

BozMan
08-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Are our RGs cursed or what?

Also... I haven't had much opportunity to watch Urbik. Has he not lived up to expectations? I thought he was expected to at least be the top back up at RG, even with Stapleton still healthy, if not beat out Stapleton altogether.

Now with the injury dominoes, Urbik still isn't even the top back up?

(Sorry if these are dumb questions... been way too engrossed in work to pay much attention to football lately.)

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 05:25 PM
i think he got stuck on IR to make a spot for foster hills may end up on the PS to make room for capizzi.

MOP, I am 90% sure that Hills will be on the 53 man roster. If he isnt I will gladly say you were right, but I tell you the kid looks way better than he did last year and could still end up playing RT next season if Colon isnt extended.

Capizzi has heavy feet and is a stiff "waist bender". Hills will make the squad before Capizzi IMO.

Preacher
08-31-2009, 05:32 PM
I hate to say this, but that injury is probably the best thing that has happened to the Steelers.

I too think Stapleton is gone. That gives us that extra spot, and it may also spell doom for Hartwig, since now, Legursky Urbik, and others will have the chance to come in and get some real game action at the end of the game (if our O can score some points).

And Steelhead... Legurskey came in and equaled or bettered every starter he played for. The strike against him, is that both of those starters have experience play next to each other.

Next year, IMO, Hartwig is gone and Legursky gets the center position...

However, It sure would be nice if he could play LT instead :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 05:32 PM
Are our RGs cursed or what?

Also... I haven't had much opportunity to watch Urbik. Has he not lived up to expectations? I thought he was expected to at least be the top back up at RG, even with Stapleton still healthy, if not beat out Stapleton altogether.

Now with the injury dominoes, Urbik still isn't even the top back up?

(Sorry if these are dumb questions... been way too engrossed in work to pay much attention to football lately.)

Urbik has progressed like a rookie. He was thinking more of assignments than just playing. The Bills game he looked really good at driving his man downfield with the 2nd team. Urbik also did a great job with the 3rd team of driving the DT to Shipley to handle, then sliding to the 2nd level to get a LB.

On gameday the only 2 reserve linemen that will dress will be Legursky (G/C) and probably Hills (OT), so Urbik, Capizzi and maybe Foster will be in sweats.

Make no mistake, Urbik is here to stay and will battle for the starting RG spot next year. If there is an injury, Legursky will fill in and Urbik will dress as a backup on gameday. Looks like we finally are getting some BIG young interior line depth with Legursky, Urbik and Foster

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Next year, IMO, Hartwig is gone and Legursky gets the center position...

However, It sure would be nice if he could play LT instead :chuckle:

Preacher, I completely agree with you that Legursky might have made Hartwig expendable in 2010 (add shipley as a backup too). I also think that Trai Essex might have been a better LT than Starks.

BozMan
08-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Urbik has progressed like a rookie. He was thinking more of assignments than just playing. The Bills game he looked really good at driving his man downfield with the 2nd team. Urbik also did a great job with the 3rd team of driving the DT to Shipley to handle, then sliding to the 2nd level to get a LB.

On gameday the only 2 reserve linemen that will dress will be Legursky (G/C) and probably Hills (OT), so Urbik, Capizzi and maybe Foster will be in sweats.

Make no mistake, Urbik is here to stay and will battle for the starting RG spot next year. If there is an injury, Legursky will fill in and Urbik will dress as a backup on gameday. Looks like we finally are getting some BIG young interior line depth with Legursky, Urbik and Foster

Thank you... much appreciated

OneForTheToe
08-31-2009, 10:28 PM

Starters:

Reserves:

While I think there is some talent on that line and with their backups, the lack of tackles with playing experience is a little scary.

steelreserve
08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
While I think there is some talent on that line and with their backups, the lack of tackles with playing experience is a little scary.

Meh, there's more than you think. If anything goes horribly wrong, we always know we can stick Essex at tackle and he'll do OK.

OneForTheToe
08-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Meh, there's more than you think. If anything goes horribly wrong, we always know we can stick Essex at tackle and he'll do OK.

True, unless Essex gets hurt first.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 11:46 PM

So true. Essex can play tackle if needed and Legursky at guard. Also, most on this board are reading too much Bouchette and hating on Tony Hills. Hills is actually progressing quite well at OT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 11:48 PM

And a rookie 4th round pick for the Bengals last year held James Harrison without a sack.(Anthony Collins). We are fine at OT if something happens........but dont be surprised if a camp casualty takes Capizzi's spot by this sunday.

OneForTheToe
08-31-2009, 11:53 PM
I should be more specific. I'm worried about depth at the left tackle position. If Essex were to get hurt, I'm not sure I would have all that much confidence in a backup to Starks at LT. I could see Hills or Foster filling in at RT alright, but LT is still more dicey. Hopefully, if given an opportuntiy, someone will step up.

Similarly, I've come around to Colon at RT, but I don't really think he would be very good on the left side. This is not a sky is falling scenario. Every team has areas where they are thin on depth, the Steelers fewer issues than most, I just think it is a little concerning.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2009, 12:06 AM
I should be more specific. I'm worried about depth at the left tackle position. If Essex were to get hurt, I'm not sure I would have all that much confidence in a backup to Starks at LT. I could see Hills or Foster filling in at RT alright, but LT is still more dicey. Hopefully, if given an opportuntiy, someone will step up.

Similarly, I've come around to Colon at RT, but I don't really think he would be very good on the left side. This is not a sky is falling scenario. Every team has areas where they are thin on depth, the Steelers fewer issues than most, I just think it is a little concerning.

You are right that every team is thin somewhere with depth, but I like to think our LT depth is Starks, Essex, Hills.........so its no different than most of last season except that Hills has gotten better IMO.

Foster is too slow of foot to play OT. Hills probably has the best foot quickness of any OT on the Steelers. I think we are fine and have 3 average LT's on the roster. I just wish we had one real good one.

steelreserve
09-01-2009, 12:09 AM
True, unless Essex gets hurt first.

Well, if that happens AND Starks gets injured, then we're just really unlucky and we'll have to see what one of the new guys can do. You can't plan for everything.

Preacher
09-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Preacher, I completely agree with you that Legursky might have made Hartwig expendable in 2010 (add shipley as a backup too). I also think that Trai Essex might have been a better LT than Starks.

Funny you should say that... I said the exact same thing in another post on another thread.

I REALLY wish we could see Hartwig at RG. If he could get a push, then put Leg. at center and try Essex at LG.

That would be beautiful IMO.

(Sure is nice playing armchair GM-- and honestly, I am GLAD I am not paid to make those choices!)

Preacher
09-01-2009, 12:14 AM
You are right that every team is thin somewhere with depth, but I like to think our LT depth is Starks, Essex, Hills.........so its no different than most of last season except that Hills has gotten better IMO.

Foster is too slow of foot to play OT. Hills probably has the best foot quickness of any OT on the Steelers. I think we are fine and have 3 average LT's on the roster. I just wish we had one real good one.

You called Starks average?!?! :jawdrop:

You're getting nice in your old age! :laughing:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Funny you should say that... I said the exact same thing in another post on another thread.

I REALLY wish we could see Hartwig at RG. If he could get a push, then put Leg. at center and try Essex at LG.

That would be beautiful IMO.

(Sure is nice playing armchair GM-- and honestly, I am GLAD I am not paid to make those choices!)

I thought Essex has better footwork than Starks and intensity. He just lacks the size of Starks, but I hoped we would end the Starks experiment last season. I also think Hartwig was just what we needed in a veteran C and still think he is better than Legursky at this point, but could be a cap casualty next season.

In my perfect world of armchair GM, I would have rather seen
-LT Kevin Schaffer
-LG Kemo
-C Hartwig
-RG Colon
-RT Essex

With Urbik, Legursky, Jamon Meridith, Hills as reserves.