PDA

View Full Version : Disney to buy Marvel comics for 4 Billion

KeiselPower99
08-31-2009, 01:46 PM
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Walt Disney Co. said Monday it is buying Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing such characters as Iron Man and Spider-Man into the family of Mickey Mouse and WALL-E.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters. Many of them, including the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, were co-created by the comic book legend Stan Lee.

Analyst David Joyce of Miller Tabak & Co. said the acquisition will help Disney appeal to young men who have flocked to theaters to see Marvel’s superhero fare in recent years. That contrasts with Disney’s recent successes among young women with such fare as “Hannah Montana” and the Jonas Brothers.

“It helps Disney add exposure to a young male demographic it had sort of lost some balance with,” Joyce said, noting the $4 billion offer was at “full price.”

Disney said Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash, plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own. That values each Marvel share at $50 based on Friday’s closing stock prices.

Marvel shares jumped $10.17, or 26 percent, to $48.82 shortly after the market opened. Disney shares fell 47 cents, or 1.8 percent, to $26.37.

Disney said the boards of both companies have approved the transaction, but it will require an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

Disney last made a big purchase in 2006 when it acquired Pixar Animation Studios Inc., the creator of the “Toy Story” franchise, for $7.4 billion in stock.

Disney CEO Robert Iger said the latest acquisition combines Marvel’s “strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters” with Disney’s “unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties” and ability to maximize value across multiple platforms and territories.

Marvel earned a net profit of $206 million last fiscal year, up 47 percent from a year earlier, on revenue of $676 million, as it took movie production in house instead of just cutting licensing deals.

MACH1
08-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Hmm...Mickey Mouse vs. Wolverine.

fansince'76
08-31-2009, 02:04 PM

Howard the Duck vs. Donald Duck....

http://www.theparasitichead.com/uploaded_images/HowardTheDuck-770265.gif

My money's on Howard. :chuckle:

AllD
08-31-2009, 03:39 PM
MGM vs. Islands of Adventure in Orlando.

Dino 6 Rings
08-31-2009, 04:38 PM

intersting since the Hulk and Spider man rides are huge attractions at Islands of Adventure. I wonder what's going to happen with that.

hindes204
08-31-2009, 06:46 PM

thats funny.....thats the first thing i thought of when i saw the title of the post

Borski
08-31-2009, 07:48 PM
intersting since the Hulk and Spider man rides are huge attractions at Islands of Adventure. I wonder what's going to happen with that.

I'm sure the rides will stay, they will have to rename them though. Universal will have to overhaul its superhero section

PisnNapalm
08-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Cripes... There goes the comic book industry.

Dodt
08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
sweet the punisher and bambi team up or maybe dr doom vs the incredibles or goofy vs wolverine .

devilsdancefloor
08-31-2009, 10:28 PM
That sound you hear is millions of comic book fans slitting their collective wrist!

JackHammer
09-01-2009, 03:29 AM
That sound you hear is millions of comic book fans slitting their collective wrist!

AMEN! I'm not even a huge comic reader, but this just bothers the hell out of me.

JackHammer
09-01-2009, 03:41 AM

Howard the Duck vs. Donald Duck....

http://www.theparasitichead.com/uploaded_images/HowardTheDuck-770265.gif

My money's on Howard. :chuckle:

Black Widow vs. Hannah Montana

KeiselPower99
09-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing The Punisher take out Hannah Montana.

revefsreleets
09-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Even though they are competitors, Disney, Sea World and Universal have a VERY unique relationship in Orlando, in that they are all sort of in the same boat and they all contrbute to making Orlando a destination.

I would not be surprised if they work out some kind of deal, at least in the near-term, to keep things as they are. The Hulk could easily be re-tooled and have it's name changed, but the Spider Man is integrated from beginning to end as a a Marvel Ride, and it cost $125 million...it would have to almost be dismantled, and I doubt that's going to happen.

They'll cut (or DID cut as part of this agreement) some kind of licensing deal I'm guessing...

tony hipchest
09-02-2009, 12:26 AM
:shout:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/torchpanic.jpg

i dont see the problem here.

im just bummed i own disney stock as opposed to marvel, even though i have always suspected anytime in the last 10 years was the time to "get in". (buy low, sell high)

sometimes you win, sometimes you snooze. :dang:

Borski
09-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Even though they are competitors, Disney, Sea World and Universal have a VERY unique relationship in Orlando, in that they are all sort of in the same boat and they all contrbute to making Orlando a destination.

I would not be surprised if they work out some kind of deal, at least in the near-term, to keep things as they are. The Hulk could easily be re-tooled and have it's name changed, but the Spider Man is integrated from beginning to end as a a Marvel Ride, and it cost $125 million...it would have to almost be dismantled, and I doubt that's going to happen.

They'll cut (or DID cut as part of this agreement) some kind of licensing deal I'm guessing...

From what I remeber Spiderman is mostly a 3-d ride if they reprogrammed it and put another video up I'm sure it could work out as another attraction

tony hipchest
09-02-2009, 01:08 AM
From what I remeber Spiderman is mostly a 3-d ride if they reprogrammed it and put another video up I'm sure it could work out as another attractionhell, they could call it the Butthole 500 for all i care. if its a good ride, i will ride it regardless...

Superman at knotts berry farm could be called the Poopschute and it wouldnt make any difference to me.

:hunch:

oh... and congrats to stan lee. may you live the rest of your life like hugh hefner lives his. :cheers:

steelax04
09-02-2009, 09:13 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing The Punisher take out Hannah Montana.

Then he'd go to jail for statutory...

revefsreleets
09-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Early indications are that Universal will pay Disney for the rights...

http://www.wftv.com/travel/20653723/detail.html

“There are indications from the press conference that Disney will still be subject to some licensing agreements that Marvel had with other vendors for at least for the next three years. So, I think that's going to be an interesting question,” politics professor Rick Foglesong said.

Universal Orlando said Monday the deal will have no impact on guests and that the Marvel characters will stay. Universal told Eyewitness News "our agreement with Marvel stands for as long as we follow the terms of our existing contract and for as long as we want there to be a Marvel Super Hero Island."

If Disney agrees with Universal about the Marvel Super Hero Island, it means, if the deal goes through as expected, Universal will be paying Disney for the rights to those characters.

Steeldude
09-06-2009, 12:34 AM
will this make marvel comics softer and less violent?

as of now, most of the marvel movies have sucked. the new hulk movie was a complete joke.

tony hipchest
09-06-2009, 01:24 AM
the latest punisher was pretty soft. :rolleyes:

how bout "the punisher" vs. ESPN?

whooop!!!-chris berman

the hulk is a movie that probably shoulda never even been attempted.

Steeldude
09-11-2009, 02:00 AM
the latest punisher was pretty soft.

disney didn't own marvel at that time

the hulk is a movie that probably shoulda never even been attempted

i think it would have been better to do an HBO-type series on the hulk. this way they have time to develop the story rather than forcing the history of the hulk into a 2 hour frame.

Hines0wnz
09-11-2009, 05:27 PM

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/16/633492540368332908-fanboys.jpg

MACH1
09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks, I am now blind.