PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Re-sign Keisel for 5 years

SqhillSteeler
08-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Steelers re-sign Keisel for five years
Monday, August 31, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Defensive end Brett Keisel signed a five-year contract this afternoon, most likely the final player the Steelers will sign until after the seasons.

Keisel was among a large group of starters entering their final season under contract. The Steelers have a policy that once the regular season starts, they no longer will negotiate contract extensions.

Among those starters who will enter their final year under contract are nose tackle Casey Hampton, halfback Willie Parker, tackle Willie Colon, safety Ryan Clark, center Justin Hartwig and kicker Jeff Reed.

Keisel, 30, has been their starter on the right side of their defense since 2006. He is now under contract through 2013.

Keisel, represented by Monroeville native Eric Metz, was a seventh-round draft choice in 2002 from Brigham Young. He has started 42 games since 2006, although he missed six regular season starts last season because of knee and calf injuries.

Among others who signed contracts this year were linebacker James Harrison, guard Chris Kemoeatu, tackle Max Starks, guard Trai Essex, tight end Heath Miller, wide receiver Hines Ward and linebacker Keyaron Fox.

First published on August 31, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/09243/994487-66.stm#ixzz0PnUHBMFm

Rek
08-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Well-deserved. Thank you front office for completing this deal before the start of the regular season.

Congrats on BK for many more years as a citizen of Steeler Nation.

Psyychoward86
08-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :tt:

truesteelerfan
08-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Anyone know what kind of a cap hit he'll be for us or the final terms of the agreement?

MDSteel15
08-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Sweet! I just hope he stays healthy...

SunshineMan21
08-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Cool--anyone else think that with Smith and Farrior aging and Hampton's contract almost up, we may be transitioning to more of a hybrid defense?

I mean, we don't really have a lot of depth at 3-4 NT, and it's a tough position to find--Hood probably isn't the answer there.

The_WARDen
08-31-2009, 02:59 PM
grats!

It makes me nervous that they may not reup Reed. Kicking in Heinz field is an adventure and he seems to have figured it out.

hindes204
08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::t t03:

The front office makes yet another great decision

lilyoder6
08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
this is good news.. he has been good 4 us since kimo left

steeltheone
08-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Rather signed Clark...Our line is to old. Probably means the end for Hampton

steelreserve
08-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Anyone know what kind of a cap hit he'll be for us or the final terms of the agreement?

I don't know, but he was costing us more than $5 million this year. If he got any more than that, I'd be surprised, given his age and the length of the deal. Not to mention the amount of cap space we had. Probably took the same deal as now, but for longer.

slippy
08-31-2009, 05:17 PM
maybe hampton will get the franchise tag next year.

Steel-Bryan
08-31-2009, 05:30 PM
KieselPower99 must be real happy :] :tt: :tt: :tt:

Hotrodder07
08-31-2009, 05:51 PM
That's good I guess. I would have rather them resign Clark or Reed, but this is good. Keisel is a solid DE for us. He deserved it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Cool--anyone else think that with Smith and Farrior aging and Hampton's contract almost up, we may be transitioning to more of a hybrid defense?

I mean, we don't really have a lot of depth at 3-4 NT, and it's a tough position to find--Hood probably isn't the answer there.

No, I don't think that at all.

Having 2 of the best 3-4 OLB's in the NFL (Harrison and Woodley) and a solid group of 3-4 DE's in Hood, Keisel, Harris....I really think that the Steelers are just a Hampton contract extension or a Terrence Cody or Boo Robinson draft away from maintaining that same 3-4 Defense.

Congrats to Keisel.

sharkweek
08-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I'm not so concerned about maintaining the defensive front 7 (particularly the line) anymore, they've progressively addressed that issue and its been going well thus far.

SteelMember
08-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes. Congrats Keisel. :applaudit:

Having 2 of the best 3-4 OLB's in the NFL (Harrison and Woodley) and a solid group of 3-4 DE's in Hood, Keisel, Harris....I really think that the Steelers are just a Hampton contract extension or a Terrence Cody or Boo Robinson draft away from maintaining that same 3-4 Defense.
Congrats to Keisel.

I'm liking those names. :thumbsup:

but the question now could be, is this the year Krischke gets cut for young guys like Hood and Harris?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Yes. Congrats Keisel. :applaudit:

I'm liking those names. :thumbsup:

but the question now could be, is this the year Krischke gets cut for young guys like Hood and Harris?

If it were me, I would let Travis go and live with Hood and Eason as backups, then put Sonny Harris on the PS. Then next year if Harris progresses they trade, restructure or release Aaron Smith to make cap room and live with Keisel, Hood, Harris, Eason at DT and Hoke/Boo Robinson at NT.

But that is just my armchair GM thinking. :chuckle:

Preacher
08-31-2009, 07:33 PM
If it were me, I would let Travis go and live with Hood and Eason as backups, then put Sonny Harris on the PS. Then next year if Harris progresses they trade, restructure or release Aaron Smith to make cap room and live with Keisel, Hood, Harris, Eason at DT and Hoke/Boo Robinson at NT.

I was actually thinking about the same, but letting Eason go and keeping Kirsche.

Eason has to be getting up there in age... then again, I am not sure about Kirsche's age... and contracts. Have you considered that? I am too lazy to look it up right now. If you have, info please!.:wink02:

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 07:42 PM
I was actually thinking about the same, but letting Eason go and keeping Kirsche.

Eason has to be getting up there in age... then again, I am not sure about Kirsche's age... and contracts. Have you considered that? I am too lazy to look it up right now. If you have, info please!.:wink02:

Kirsche is a few years older than Eason

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 07:44 PM

I am worried about losing Harris if they put him on the Practice Squad

Do you guys realize that Ryan McBean is starting on the Broncos? STARTING!!!!!!!!!!

Steeldude
08-31-2009, 07:50 PM
tackle Willie Colon, safety Ryan Clark, center Justin Hartwig and kicker Jeff Reed

those are the players i would put ahead of keisel. there was absolutely no drop-off in the games keisel missed.

feuerstarta
08-31-2009, 07:54 PM
I am worried about losing Harris if they put him on the Practice Squad

Do you guys realize that Ryan McBean is starting on the Broncos? STARTING!!!!!!!!!!

1.) I harris is another player who I would doubt clear waivers.
2.) we got a lot of rookies who maybe more raw than the current backup vets but next year I feel would out right win the position over the vet backups.

AND

3.) STARTING????!!!!!!!!!! You gotta be kidding.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 08:03 PM
3.) STARTING????!!!!!!!!!! You gotta be kidding.

no it's true. my friend is a Broncos fan and he told me this a week or so ago and then sure enough last night I watched the Broncos/Bears game and McBean was a starter

that was the first time i posted here. I doubt most people here know this or believe it lol

pretty crazy imo

steeltheone
08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey things happen when players get the chance to shine. You never know?

tony hipchest
08-31-2009, 08:13 PM
no it's true. my friend is a Broncos fan and he told me this a week or so ago and then sure enough last night I watched the Broncos/Bears game and McBean was a starter

that was the first time i posted here. I doubt most people here know this or believe it lol

pretty crazy imo

i posted it several weeks ago, the day he was named a starter. orien harris still got a gig in the nfl too (rams).

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 08:23 PM

Kirschke is 34 years old in his 13th season and has had back issues

Eason is 29 years old and in his 7th season. Its why I am a proponent of keeping Eason instead of Kirschke.

tony hipchest
08-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Kirschke is 34 years old in his 13th season and has had back issues

Eason is 29 years old and in his 7th season. Its why I am a proponent of keeping Eason instead of Kirschke.i still havent seen the bills game yet, but against washington, the DL of hood, harris, and eason, looked absolutely dominant every time they were on the field together.

i know it was against back up scrubs, but every time they were on the field it seemed to result in a negative play for the opposition.

as for why keisel and not clark, i think wexell summed it up nicely-

Keisel a healthy big man w/ speed. With Tomlin, that trumps an unhealthy safety with avg speed. Clark next year if he gets thru Denver

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 08:41 PM
i still havent seen the bills game yet, but against washington, the DL of hood, harris, and eason, looked absolutely dominant every time they were on the field together.

i know it was against back up scrubs, but every time they were on the field it seemed to result in a negative play for the opposition.

true. I watched the Washington game 3 times lol and noticed the same

SunshineMan21
08-31-2009, 08:44 PM

Congrats to Keisel.

I normally would agree with you--in fact, would prefer to do so (I love the 3-4!).

The main question to me is whether we can find a replacement NT for Hampton once he goes--it's the one position I can currently see on our roster where there's no clear heir, and it's absolutely critical for the 3-4 to function.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2009, 09:03 PM
I normally would agree with you--in fact, would prefer to do so (I love the 3-4!).

The main question to me is whether we can find a replacement NT for Hampton once he goes--it's the one position I can currently see on our roster where there's no clear heir, and it's absolutely critical for the 3-4 to function.

Transition tag and draft Boo Robinson clears the heir. :wink:

GridironWarrior
08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Ugh I wish Clark got resigned instead. Isn't Ziggy supposed to replace Keisel?

Steeldude
08-31-2009, 09:40 PM
keisel is average at best vs. the run. during his absences the defense didn't miss a beat. i don't necessarily oppose giving him an extension, but i would have rather seen clark, reed or hartwig get one instead.

feuerstarta
08-31-2009, 09:42 PM
I like clark as much as the next guy, but i wouldn't be surprised if they had plans for a younger guy to move in next year. His heat seeking missiles take a lot out of him and older doesn't help.

GridironWarrior
08-31-2009, 09:42 PM
I think the Steelers botched this one up. Reed is too important and so is Clark.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 09:59 PM
people need to stop whining about re-signing Ryan Clark

I love how he plays but with his style of play he can be seriously injured on one of those big hits (and he is over 30)

These people whining about Clark were probably the same saying that we cant do without Chris Hope

ps - we may already have Clark's replacement on our team.....Keenan Lewis, yup you heard it here first. He has the skillset to play free safety and is very physical

Psyychoward86
08-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Ugh I wish Clark got resigned instead. Isn't Ziggy supposed to replace Keisel?

Probably Aaron Smith first, he's older, we need to keep this D-line intact if we're going to play good defense.

HometownGal
08-31-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm happy for The Deisel, but I agree with some of you here that I believe there are other priorities that the Steelers should address, i.e. extensions for both Skippy and Clark. Both are extremely valuable cogs in the wheel that the Steelers really shouldn't want to take a chance on losing at some point. :horror:

As for Hartwig - let him go. We have talent named Legursky and Shipley waiting in the wings. He was an upgrade over Mahan, but only by a gnat's eyelash.

GridironWarrior
08-31-2009, 10:17 PM
people need to stop whining about re-signing Ryan Clark

I love how he plays but with his style of play he can be seriously injured on one of those big hits (and he is over 30)

These people whining about Clark were probably the same saying that we cant do without Chris Hope

ps - we may already have Clark's replacement on our team.....Keenan Lewis, yup you heard it here first. He has the skillset to play free safety and is very physical

LOL Lewis at safety? Get real that guy wasn't even that great of a corner. Clark or Reed are way more valuable than Kiesel. When he missed time with injury the D didn't miss a beat.

Steel Head
08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
LOL Lewis at safety? Get real that guy wasn't even that great of a corner. Clark or Reed are way more valuable than Kiesel. When he missed time with injury the D didn't miss a beat.

I am talking about rookie 3rd round pick Keenan Lewis who is big and physical

I am for real

GridironWarrior
08-31-2009, 10:43 PM
I am talking about rookie 3rd round pick Keenan Lewis who is big and physical

I am for real

I know which Lewis you're speaking of. I watched him at OSU I live in Oregon. That guys wasn't even the best player in their backfield. To be honest I'm surprised he got drafted so high.

Psyychoward86
08-31-2009, 10:44 PM

Well, it is common for declining veteran CB's to be moved to safety. It's considered easier to play so yeah that's a possibility (not that Keenan is declining by any means lol), but i wouldn't be surprised if Deshea was our 2nd string safety.

OneForTheToe
08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
I think the Steelers botched this one up. Reed is too important and so is Clark.

I think this is a value signing. We wrap up a solid player for the future without breaking the bank. Sometimes, I think you sign people willing to sign at a price. In addition, the FO might be considering how long Casey will be on the team (although I think the franchise tag works). They probably are concerned about potentially having two new starters on the D' line next season. This way Hood and maybe Harris have time to mature at their position. although, you just know there will be posters on this board using the B word and asking that Hood and Harris be traded if they aren't starting net season.

As El Gonzo said, it doesn't make sense that we would switch away from 3/4 just because Casey is getting older and is a pending FA. Joel Steed was a rock at NT as well, and we stuck with our scheme until we found Casey. Plus, the rest of our D (linebackers - d'line) are 3/4 players. In any case, as long as coach dad is coaching the d, nothing is going to change.

In addition, I believe we could keep 5 d'linemen. If so, they could cut Kirshkie and would have room on the team for both Harris and Hood. It really comes down to how much they trust Eason because he would be the only true end to have started in the NFL ,limited as that might have been. He played much better last year I thought. Of course, I thought Kirshkie was pretty strong in a backup roll as well.

Finally, we should have 2 tags next year so I doubt Reed is going anywhere.

Galax Steeler
09-01-2009, 06:40 AM
I like the extension we gave Keisel. I think it was a smart move Clark should be next then Reed. I believe that the front office knows what it is doing so no worry about the signing before Clark and Reed.

scsteeler
09-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Well-deserved. Thank you front office for completing this deal before the start of the regular season.

Congrats on BK for many more years as a citizen of Steeler Nation.

I totally agree. Keisel is deserving.

SteelMember
09-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Keisel signing more proof Steelers don't age discriminate
Tuesday, September 01, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers signed defensive end Brett Keisel to a five-year contract.Two things happened over the past several days that give more insight into how the Steelers operate. One was the retirement of Marvel Smith in California, the other was the signing of Brett Keisel to a five-year contract yesterday.

Keisel will earn $18.885 million over the next five years, and the deal included a $5 million signing bonus.

Smith wanted an extension this time last year and was not happy when one was not forthcoming. At the time, many noted that the Steelers just do not give big contracts to players over 30. Smith then went out and played five games before his season ended with yet another back problem, which also prematurely ended his 2007 season.

Smith wound up signing as a free agent with the San Francisco 49ers, and retired over the weekend when it was apparent he no longer could play.

Keisel, who turns 31 on Sept. 19, was the player the coaches pushed the front office to sign of all those entering their final season. He also is the latest 30-something to get such a long-term deal. The others include Hines Ward, and James Harrison this year, on the heels of James Farrior's deal last year.

Aaron Smith, now 33, who signed a contract extension at age 30 and proved them right on the money on that occasion as well, believes it is just good business to keep good players such as Keisel, no matter what the age.

"I think it's proven. Seems like around the league, old isn't considered as old as it used to be. With him, it's the smart thing to do. You have a guy who is a solid player who can play for a long time and you don't have to teach him.

"You look at Keis, he started four years, he still has a young body, he hasn't taken a ton of snaps and you have a player who knows how to play the game and is a veteran, which is hard. Usually by the time you get to 30, guys have a ton of snaps and he hasn't. He still has a young body. In that case, they have a good situation with him."

The same held true with Harrison, who enters only his third season as a starter at age 31.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09244/994643-66.stm#ixzz0Pr5ytUHv

I would say that's a pretty good deal for both sides. $3.77 avg. per year.

There isn't a whole lot of guys at 30 making the "vet minimum". :wink02:

ben
09-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Good news!!

IamTheSteelGod
09-01-2009, 10:04 AM
like it good signing, he has most certainly deserved it. Although, I do agree with most I would have rather they sorted Clarks contract out.

KeiselPower99
09-01-2009, 10:06 AM
I wonder how much Ben helped out in keeping Keisel around?

CanadianSteel
09-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Ya that was going to be my point as well. Keisel and Ben are buddy's and Keisel seems like a popular dude in the locker room... good vertran to have around..

SteelMember
09-01-2009, 11:19 AM

Ben also was very public about keeping plexiglass...

How'd that work out? I don't think Ben's thoughts came into play.

Keisel is his own man, and his record speaks for itself. :noidea:

OneForTheToe
09-01-2009, 01:32 PM
18 and change for 5 years? you can't complain about that from a Steelers standpoint. At those numbers you can afford to cut him in two years or keep him around as a backup, if need be.

steelreserve
09-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty friendly deal for us. I didn't think it'd be much less than $5 million a year, since that's the kind of cap room he takes up now.

Interesting .. if my calculations are correct, this ought to give us $1.5-$2 million in extra cap room now. I wonder if we break tradition and actually try to get one more guy (Clark, more likely Gay or Reed) extended during the season? This might be the one time it would benefit us to do that, rather than wait until the offseason and the potential of an uncapped free-for-all. The more guys we can lock up now, the better.

trish
09-03-2009, 11:39 PM
grats!

It makes me nervous that they may not reup Reed. Kicking in Heinz field is an adventure and he seems to have figured it out.

I agree..but I keep reading that the team will franchise tag Reed in March.

trish
09-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Even with Ben and Brett being good friends, I highly doubt Keisel was re-signed just because Ben asked. As someone else mentioned, Ben did same with Plex.

Keisel is well-liked by coaches..who all went to bat for him in front office & he's a hard worker. Shows up to camp consistently in shape & has a great attitude. Was willing to take a good deal..spread some money out ...good signing!

ocbubba
09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I would bust my behind this season if I were the 2 Willie's and Jeff Reed.

GridironWarrior
09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Keisel has never impressed me. The D always plays fine without him. Still a waste.

GridironWarrior
09-04-2009, 09:55 PM

I said that a few posts back. The guy hasn't done anything.

Psyychoward86
09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Keisel has never impressed me. The D always plays fine without him. Still a waste.

people like you REALLY take our defense for granted, like it's always going to be there, bailing us out all the time. That doesnt mean he's expendable. We just happen to have good D-line depth (Talent-wise, not age-wise)

steelreserve
09-05-2009, 05:17 AM

Well, if it's any consolation, this deal keeps the same guy around at about $2M less salary cap room per year. Pretty good deal in that respect.

Preacher
09-05-2009, 05:38 AM
I would bust my behind this season if I were the 2 Willie's and Jeff Reed.

Ain't my behind I'd be worried about if I had two willie's! :chuckle:

:cya:

GridironWarrior
09-05-2009, 10:55 AM
people like you REALLY take our defense for granted, like it's always going to be there, bailing us out all the time. That doesnt mean he's expendable. We just happen to have good D-line depth (Talent-wise, not age-wise)

I fail to see any talent in Keisel. When I think of great Steelers D-linemen I think of Greene, Joel Steed, Hampton, Aaron Smith. Keisel no offense to him personally is not talented. Kirschke stepped in fine for him. If Clark or Reed were to leave or go down for a long time no one could replace them for an extended time. Keisel is not important.

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I fail to see any talent in Keisel.

Wow, just wow!

I'm not a huge Keisel fan but the dude is pretty damn athleticaly talented for his size

OneForTheToe
09-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Wow, just wow!

I'm not a huge Keisel fan but the dude is pretty damn athleticaly talented for his size

... and salary.

Some Fans don't understand that not every contributor is a superstar. If the detractors want to root for a team that only cares about big name superstars, may I suggest the Redskins. There is no guarantee that the Steelers would have been able to sign"big snack" even absent Keisel's new deal. Therefore, we could have been faced with having to replace two D'linmen in one year. Now, we have more options if "big snack" goes elsewhere. Continuity is important with Coach LeBeau's D. If Hood beats out Keisel after a year in the system, so be it. We then have depth at the position. Likewise, If Smith decides to retire in two years we need not scramble.

Of course, if LeBeau were really worthy of the Hall, I guess he would consulted with Steelers' Nation before making recommendations about players.

steelwalls
09-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I love this sign, I would hate to see him go. Many Steeler players say he is the most athletic guy on the team...

Cheppy
09-05-2009, 10:23 PM
It makes me extremely happy that Keisel's locked up for the next 5 years. The guy is one of my favorite players, extremely underrated..

But I haven't read through the thread so I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. What's the stipulation plan for when Hampton signs elsewhere next year? (they'll try to resign him but in all likelihood he's gone)

It's not like the Nose Tackle position isn't paramount to the success of a 3/4. One could make a case that if the Nose fails the rest of the "D" falls like a house of cards.

The only scenario I can come up with is that they're confident they can get someone in the draft (i don't know college football well at all) who they can plug in right away.

Am I wrong in that assumption?

pancake
09-05-2009, 10:30 PM
It makes me extremely happy that Keisel's locked up for the next 5 years. The guy is one of my favorite players, extremely underrated..

But I haven't read through the thread so I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. What's the stipulation plan for when Hampton signs elsewhere next year? (they'll try to resign him but in all likelihood he's gone)

It's not like the Nose Tackle position isn't paramount to the success of a 3/4. One could make a case that if the Nose fails the rest of the "D" falls like a house of cards.

The only scenario I can come up with is that they're confident they can get someone in the draft (i don't know college football well at all) who they can plug in right away.

Am I wrong in that assumption?

I agree, I think it will hurt to lose Hampton...