PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Hall of Famer Blount owes $631K in back tax, IRS says

mesaSteeler
08-31-2009, 11:02 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_640952.html#

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers Hall of Famer Blount owes $631K in back tax, IRS says

By Michael Hasch
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Internal Revenue Service has accused Steelers Hall of Famer Mel Blount of owing hundreds of thousands of dollars in back income tax.

The IRS filed a civil action Monday in U.S. District Court, Downtown, that accuses Blount of owing $631,101.25 in federal income tax between 1994 and 2006.

"Despite notice and demand for payment of tax assessments...(Blount) has failed to pay the full amounts due and owing," according to court documents.

A summons for Blount has been mailed to the Mel Blount Youth Home in Washington County. Blount could not be reached for comment last night.

The IRS and Treasury Secretary accuse Blount of failing to pay the correct amount of income tax nearly every year between 1994 and 2006. The exception was 1997.

Court documents state that Blount owes $205,705 from 1996. The lowest amount he owes is $4,797 for 1998, documents show.

Blount, 61, who was the Steelers' third-round draft choice in 1970, was the National Football League's defensive Most Valuable Player in 1975 and was a key member of the Steelers' first four Super Bowl teams.

His 57 career interceptions remain a team record, and he was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1989, the same year he established the Mel Blount Youth Home near Claysville.

He began plans to open the first Mel Blount Youth Home, a multitreatment facility for young men who are victims of child abuse and neglect, in his hometown of Vidalia, Ga., shortly before his retirement from the Steelers in 1983.

Michael Hasch can be reached at mhasch@tribweb.com or 412-320-7820.

Preacher
09-01-2009, 12:48 AM
I wonder what this is all about.

IMO either 1. The IRS thinks the retreat center is a vacation spot and thus, there is a dispute over tax exemption or 2. He was involved in business dealings and didn't pay.

Not good for him. The IRS are worse than wall-street. Of course, never mess with the govt. trying to grab your money

steelreserve
09-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Ugh. This wasn't smart. It's pretty difficult to mess up on your taxes that badly for that long a period of time, unless you've got someone "helping" you who's either incompetent or swindling you.

augustashark
09-01-2009, 02:14 AM
He had to know that this would become public. He must think he can beat the charges in court or he is broke and can't pay. Either way, meeting this head on when he received the notices would have been much smarter then letting it get this far. Good luck to him, he's going to need it.

Preacher
09-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Ugh. This wasn't smart. It's pretty difficult to mess up on your taxes that badly for that long a period of time, unless you've got someone "helping" you who's either incompetent or swindling you.

Or you are trying to swindle the govt. Or you thought that you had a Not for profit status...and then the govt. tells you that you dont.

I wouldn't be surprised if it really is something like that last one having to do with his home for abused boys.

solardave
09-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Hear is how I see the IRS. Have you ever watched those movies where the thugs extorted "Protection money" from local businesses! Yeah,I said EXTORTION! I'm just sayin' I side with Mel and I hope he gets it cleared up in his favor.

HometownGal
09-01-2009, 04:24 AM
This sucks big time for Mel, but I'm sure he will hire legal counsel to negotiate with those blood suckers and come to some sort of resolution. Like Preacher, I think this may have something to do with his home for troubled youth and there may be snafus regarding the tax exempt status. :hope:

WeegiesWarriors
09-01-2009, 09:23 AM
We will be seeing Mel's face at every Steeler function/speaking engagement for a while. He might as well just contact Rocky Bleir and tour the circuit with him. Maybe they can share a room together to cut costs.

Psyychoward86
09-01-2009, 10:18 AM
lol

Hammer Of The GODS
09-01-2009, 01:01 PM
It sure is good to know that our Govment is going after people like Mel who use thier money and status to help people (ie. abused boys) instead of going after say...... illegals who don't pay taxes and use tax supported programs like air.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2009, 01:12 PM
It sure is good to know that our Govment is going after people like Mel who use thier money and status to help people (ie. abused boys) instead of going after say...... illegals who don't pay taxes and use tax supported programs like air.

Not to mention all the legals that come over and don't have to pay taxes either.

My boss hired a legal alien in at the same amount I made and he worked the same amount of hours. When our paychecks came his was over $600 because he didn't have to pay taxes.

What kind of bullshit is that?

fansince'76
09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Not to mention all the legals that come over and don't have to pay taxes either.

My boss hired a legal alien in at the same amount I made and he worked the same amount of hours. When our paychecks came his was over $600 because he didn't have to pay taxes.

What kind of bullshit is that?

But you can bet your ass he's entitled to the same Workman's Comp and unemployment benefits you are. :mad:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2009, 01:41 PM
But you can bet your ass he's entitled to the same Workman's Comp and unemployment benefits you are. :mad:

Yep. He got fired for stealing lottery tickets.

He works construction now. Got the job I applied for because he will do it for less.