PDA

View Full Version : Could Sweed get more TDs than Holmes?

rahul
09-01-2009, 12:18 AM
This may sound crazy, but I was just thinking today that Sweed might get more TDs than Holmes. I know the right expectation is that he would be the same as Nate Washington or maybe a little better, but do you think he has a chance of out TDing Holmes?

Steelers have tons of threats to spread it around, but i'm thinking why not throw it to such a big target when near the endzone? One reason i can think of is that you want better hands, someone like holems/ward/miller who you know will catch it, but i really would love o see Sweed break out in terms of TDs.

What do you think? does he have a chance?

steelreserve
09-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Of course he's got a chance. Anyone can have a good year, and anyone can have a bad year. If I had to bet on it, I'd say no, though. Maybe like a 10 percent chance.

#1 Big Ben Fan
09-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Not if Holmes has the monster break out season that most are expecting. His play late in the season last year and in the post season could be a spring board for Holmes to have a monster season this year. I think this year Santonio takes over the number 1 WR role. Hines Ward is still the man but Holmes has that look of a break out season. I wouldn't be surprised if Holmes has 1200 yards and 10 TD's. Of course a healthy Big Ben will be the key for Holmes to have a monster season.

I see Sweed catching 35-40 balls with 5 TD's.

stb_steeler
09-01-2009, 01:35 AM
First he better learn to hang on to da ball

Preacher
09-01-2009, 01:39 AM
First he better learn to hang on to da ball

Seriously... I suggest you re-watch his preseason games. He has been very good in that department, only dropping one ball that he should have caught... and on the flip side, catching 3-4 balls that he probably should have dropped.

As to the question... It depends. Are they going to use him on fade routes? Will they put the big TE Miller on the inside and let Sweed push to the outside?

Anything is possible.

OX1947
09-01-2009, 01:44 AM
If the line becomes cohesive this season, this team is going to destroy teams. Especially the wide outs.

Preacher
09-01-2009, 01:49 AM
If the line becomes cohesive this season, this team is going to destroy teams. Especially the wide outs.

Very true... and for all looks we have seen so far, that is about to happen.

stb_steeler
09-01-2009, 01:54 AM
Seriously... I suggest you re-watch his preseason games. He has been very good in that department, only dropping one ball that he should have caught... and on the flip side, catching 3-4 balls that he probably should have dropped.

As to the question... It depends. Are they going to use him on fade routes? Will they put the big TE Miller on the inside and let Sweed push to the outside?

Anything is possible. I agree he showed major improvment in the Bills game. Had a few over the middle catch's. Ya have to admit it seams he gets the hard ones miss's some easy ones.

rahul
09-01-2009, 02:16 AM
Not if Holmes has the monster break out season that most are expecting...

Yeah, thats true. My post was a little far fetched and "hopeful", but i guess you never know. If they gain confidence in him, he could really become automatic near the goalline(fade route), which would be awesome.

steelreserve
09-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Not if Holmes has the monster break out season that most are expecting. His play late in the season last year and in the post season could be a spring board for Holmes to have a monster season this year. I think this year Santonio takes over the number 1 WR role. Hines Ward is still the man but Holmes has that look of a break out season. I wouldn't be surprised if Holmes has 1200 yards and 10 TD's. Of course a healthy Big Ben will be the key for Holmes to have a monster season.

I see Sweed catching 35-40 balls with 5 TD's.

Honestly, we've been waiting for Holmes to have a monster breakout season since the say he was drafted.

Not that it couldn't happen, and he's definitely gotten better and more explosive as the years have gone by. But he could still turn out to just be a very good, not quite top-tier receiver, like John Taylor for the 49ers dynasty or Alvin Harper for the Cowboys dynasty. There's nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong at all. If he just keeps doing what he's doing and never has a "breakout", we've still got a hell of a good player. But if that's all he is, we shouldn't be disappointed; maybe it IS one of the other guys who will eventually be the superstar. Either way would be awesome, and I agree, we're totally stacked for the passing game this year.

ricksteelers55
09-01-2009, 05:26 AM
We have to stop blaming him for dropping easy passes.

I think he showed us during the preseason that he can catch.Yeah he dropped a few but so does Hines.Heck even Heath who apparently never drop passes even during practices dropped one in the Super Bowl.

We have to move on with that and be ready for something special.Funny to say that cause less than 4 yrs ago we didnt have anything at WR with the loss of El and Burress and Hines getting older now it seems like WR is our deepest position.

you gotta love what we have in store for the future at WR.

HometownGal
09-01-2009, 05:40 AM
Is it possible? Yes, as either Hines or Santo will be double-teamed most games. Do I think it will happen this season? No, but Sweeeeeeed is going to be a game impacter in a few short seasons, I believe.

SteelMember
09-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Sweed does have the height for the jump ball fade route in the red zone.

The Lakelander
09-01-2009, 08:58 AM
My take:

When the Steelers go 3-wide with Ward, Holmes and Sweed, it is not the same situation this year as it was last year (3-wide with Ward, Holmes and Washington).

Sweed has downfield speed ... sure.

But Sweed also presents a very major mismatch in terms of defensive coverage. His size and speed makes it very difficult for NFL devensive backfields to scheme. Sweed must be covered by a big CB ... PERIOD!

That opens the outside running lanes for Parker ... :wave:

Washington's only threats were "deep and sideline", and he was covered by the smaller NFL Corners. Washington's smaller size and route running limits also made Hines Ward the possession route runner.

With Sweed breaking into short routes this year, I think Hines Ward could very well get overlooked as the deep route runner.

I think Hines Ward has a break-out season in 2009 ... :chuckle:

AllD
09-01-2009, 02:12 PM
What if you went 5 wide in the red zone. Sweed and Wallace on the right both going into the end zone?

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if it happened, but if I were a betting man then I wouldn't bet on it.

But Sweed could be a red zone threat with his height. If he proves he can hang onto the ball in the games that count (and I think he will), he could be the most surprising player on offense this year.

I think this is going to be Heath Miller's breakout season. Eight or more touchdowns and 700+ yards.

#1 Big Ben Fan
09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Honestly, we've been waiting for Holmes to have a monster breakout season since the say he was drafted.

Not that it couldn't happen, and he's definitely gotten better and more explosive as the years have gone by. But he could still turn out to just be a very good, not quite top-tier receiver, like John Taylor for the 49ers dynasty or Alvin Harper for the Cowboys dynasty. There's nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong at all. If he just keeps doing what he's doing and never has a "breakout", we've still got a hell of a good player. But if that's all he is, we shouldn't be disappointed; maybe it IS one of the other guys who will eventually be the superstar. Either way would be awesome, and I agree, we're totally stacked for the passing game this year.

I'm not knocking Holmes at all and my post really is praising him. I think Santonio has the talent to be one of the best. I think Ben having a injured shoulder didn't help Holmes last year. A healthy Ben and if Ben has the time in the pocket then I think 2009 will be a huge year for Santonio Holmes.

As for Sweed this kid is going to be a monster in this league. If the Steelers can lock up Holmes long term then the Steelers should have a nice combo at WR in Sweed/Holmes which is good since father time isn't on Hines Ward side. But Ward does look like he is 27 again this pre-season. Throw in a young talented stud in Mike Wallace the Steelers WR is in good shape.

Nadroj 20
09-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Sweed will have his catches and im sure some of them will include touchdowns but as for this year i see holmes leading us in every WR category.

thesteelersreport.com
09-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Sweed definitely has the skills - and he has shown in the first two pre-season games that he can hold onto the ball.

Anything is possible in the NFL. With the added coverage Holmes will get this season, (a last second Super Bowl winning tippy toe TD will do that do you) Sweed could benefit in more looks, catches and TDs....

Indo
09-01-2009, 04:57 PM
My take:

When the Steelers go 3-wide with Ward, Holmes and Sweed, it is not the same situation this year as it was last year (3-wide with Ward, Holmes and Washington).

But Sweed also presents a very major mismatch in terms of defensive coverage. His size and speed makes it very difficult for NFL devensive backfields to scheme. Sweed must be covered by a big CB ... PERIOD!

Washington's only threats were "deep and sideline", and he was covered by the smaller NFL Corners. Washington's smaller size and route running limits also made Hines Ward the possession route runner.

With Sweed breaking into short routes this year, I think Hines Ward could very well get overlooked as the deep route runner.

I love Sweeeeed, but I do agree with this...and I think it locks his HoF admission!

sharkweek
09-01-2009, 06:16 PM
if teams keep stacking us against the run, all our WRs will have monster seasons:tt03:

revefsreleets
09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Could Sweed get more TDs than Holmes?

No.

(Unless Hines and Santo both get hurt...)

The_WARDen
09-02-2009, 10:09 AM
My take:

I think Hines already had his break-out season back in 2002:

112 recepts for 1329 yds and 12 TDs.

Steel5586
09-02-2009, 12:11 PM
There is always a chance that Sweed could enter the endzone more then Holmes. He is a big target and should not draw double coverage (at least early on), but who cares as long as the Steelers as a team score lots of TDs!