PDA

View Full Version : Hampton's days as a Steeler may be numbered after Keisel signing

mesaSteeler
09-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Hampton's days as a Steeler may be numbered after Keisel signing
August 31, 8:41 PMPittsburgh Steelers Examiner
Daniel Flickinger
http://www.examiner.com/x-14024-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner~y2009m8d31-Hamptons-days-as-a-Steeler-may-be-numbered-after-Keisel-signing#
The Steelers didnít draft defensive lineman Ziggy Hood to be a backup.

After todayís news of defensive end Brett Keisel signing a new five-year contract, many are left to wonder about the future of nose tackle Casey Hampton beyond this season.

Hampton, in the last year of a five-year 22 million dollar contract, can test the free agent market at seasons end and will get big offers from teams that could use a four-time Pro Bowler in the middle of their defensive line.

The Keisel signing could mean one of two things:

The Steelers will elect not to sign Hampton and move Hood to nose tackle or they will release defensive end Aaron Smith.

Both seem reasonable but the Smith option is not likely.

Even though the Steelers are using Hood as a defensive end, he played tackle in college. With his size and athletic ability, he shouldnít have a major problem taking over for Hampton if thatís what the Steelers decide to do.

If the team decides to say goodbye to the 33-year-old Smith next year, Hood could move into his starting spot. However, with Smith under contract for the next three years and his play not declining yet, it's doubtful that the Steelers will release him.

Consider too that Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert has done a great job by keeping the core of the team together with a slew of signings in the past year, but by doing so means thereís not much money left to go around.

Thereís also some big name players (Ryan Clark, Willie Parker, Jeff Reed) that will be free agents at the end of this season that the Steelers may try to resign.

They canít keep everyone.

Lets make it perfectly clear that the Steelers did not spend a first round draft pick on Hood so he could eventually be a starter in X amount of years.

They chose him because they thought he could make an immediate impact and itíd be foolish to sign both Keisel and Hampton with Hood waiting in the wings.

The 31-year-old Hampton could be the odd man out.

STAPLETON PLACED ON IR/FOUR PLAYERS RELEASED

- The team placed offensive lineman Darnell Stapleton on injured reserve. He will be gone for the season. Stapleton got surgery on his injured knee which was only supposed to sideline him for three or four weeks.

- Four players were also released Monday: center Alex Stepanovich, wide receivers Martin Nance and Steven Black and safety Derrick Richardson.

SteelMember
09-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Yet another writer that has put Hood in as a name to take Hamptons place. I can't believe that they are putting so much time and effort inot making him a 3-4 DE just to turn around and attempt to put him at nose. They will need to play Hoke and find yet another draft prospect, and/or develop Sonny Harris if they do not intend to resign Big Snack..

The Lakelander
09-01-2009, 08:24 AM
My take:

Keisel's contract is cap friendly, even for a veteran backup RDE.

The Steelers are not against rotating their high draft pick defensive players in and out of the lineup, as evidenced by Lawrence Timmons taking three years to finally crack the starting group, but contributing significantly as a rotation player his second year. I can see a scenario where Keisel and Hood are situationally alternated for the next two seasons while Hood develops, and then Keisel becoming a very capable (and cap-friendly) backup.

You build a franchise two deep at each position.

Right now the Steelers look like they will be two deep starter-capable at every position across the defensive line next season.

LDE - Aaron Smith and Sonny Harris
NT - Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke
RDE - Brett Keisel and Ziggy Hood

Casey Hampton came in this year ready to play. He is playing at a very high level this pre-season.

Hampton is a beast. He's the cornerstone of everything Dick LeBeau wants to do with his LB's in this defense. Hampton is a run-stuffer-extraordinaire! He plugs up the middle so rediculously well that finding a replacement for him is not going to be easy.

The Steelers will likely re-sign him.

And why would Hampton want to leave anyways?

Youngstown Steeler
09-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Lakelander, I think you nailed it. I agree with everything you said.

The Lakelander
09-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Lakelander, I think you nailed it. I agree with everything you said.

Thanks Youngstown ... !!!

So much for the Pittsburgh Steelers being "old and thin" across the D-Line! :chuckle:

... and who really knows what the next two drafts will behold ... ???? :tt02:

kirklandrules
09-01-2009, 10:03 AM
My take:

I'd say he would leave for money. The Steelers are going to be very cash strapped after this year and won't be able to provide the big payday for Big Snack. Hell, the Ravens would pay him $6-$7 million per year and a nice signing bonus just to get him out of Pittsburgh.

I believe he's gone after this year. I'm a huge fan of his, but this article did get one point correct ... we can't keep everyone and we're going to lose some talent we would really love to keep. But the team management has a core group in mind and have taken the steps to secure those players.

I'd also like to see them resign Ryan Clark as he's a real savage out there on the field. This is tough to say, but I think they will have a priority to sign Reed. Remember what a circus we had with kickers trying to make 35 yarders in the open end of Heinz? Now, Reed kicks 45-50 yarders into that end of the field on cold, snowy, windy December days and we're happy to have him. The guy's a mudder and plays on a field that can be more of a swamp than a pasture. God I hate kickers, but like Sepulveda, he's a Steelers kicker.

KeiselPower99
09-01-2009, 10:05 AM
If we dont get him signed then Hoke will be our NT next year and we will draft a guy this year.

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 10:06 AM
yeah good post Lakelander

Casey Hampton is quickly becoming the most underrated, unappreciated and forgotten Steeler. People criticize him for coming into camp out of shape but does his play on the field when it counts ever suffer??? Hell no.

As mentioned, since this was a contract year...Hampton came into camp ready to play and did finish the initial run test for the first time in a long long time. I expect a great year from Hampton and then hope we franchise him for 1 more year. It's too risky to extend him because of his age/size and knee problems

Bottom line is this #1 D would not be the same without Hampton just like it wasn't a couple years ago when A. Smith was out

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 10:06 AM
If we dont get him signed then Hoke will be our NT next year and we will draft a guy this year.

guys like Hampton are not so easily replaced

steelreserve
09-01-2009, 01:06 PM
The Steelers didnít draft defensive lineman Ziggy Hood to be a backup.

The Keisel signing could mean one of two things:

It means they drafted Hood to take over for Smith in a couple years, duh. That's all. It doesn't mean they're getting rid of anyone now, or reshuffling the line for no reason, and the sky isn't falling, and they're not bound to do something stupid, and they're not going to turn into a turkey, or anything like that.

They'll easily have the money to re-sign Hampton if they want, or they could always use the franchise tag. Between his own expiring contract, the dead money we'll get back, and finally getting rid of Parker, we should have something like $18 million to try and sign two or three guys. That ought to be easy.

I don't know where this nonsense comes in about if we keep Hampton, we have to release Smith, and vice versa. I mean ... sure, we could do that, if we had shit for brains. I'm thinking they keep Hampton as long as possible and Smith until his contract runs out, at which point he'll probably retire.

OneForTheToe
09-01-2009, 01:22 PM
guys like Hampton are not so easily replaced

Exactly. I don't see where these writers find their info. I like Hood. that said, if pro bowl voters really respected 3/4 defenses, Casey would have 6 or 7 pro bowl appearances instead of four, and might have been on his way to the Hall Of Fame. Could he be gone after next year? Sure ... but let's not act like a unproven rookie can just swoop in and take his place like nobodies business - especially when the rookie was drafted for another position. Also, I doubt we will be cutting Smith unless he becomes too injury prone.

Gnutella
09-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, introducing our future NT! (http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cody_terrence00.html)

#1 Big Ben Fan
09-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Hampton isn't going anywhere in 2009. The Steelers are stacked to repeat and cutting or trading your anchor of the 3-4 defense would be very foolish which Colbert/Tomlin or not.

Now will Casey be resigned next year? That is up to him and the Steelers.

steelreserve
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, introducing our future NT! (http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cody_terrence00.html)

More like introducing the future NT for the Jets or the Bengals or some team like that. I don't think we can finish much over .500 and get him unless we either trade up or he gets busted with weed.

Preacher
09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
My take:

The Steelers are not against rotating their high draft pick defensive players in and out of the lineup, as evidenced by Lawrence Timmons taking three years to finally crack the starting group, but contributing significantly as a rotation player his second year. I can see a scenario where Keisel and Hood are situationally alternated for the next two seasons while Hood develops, and then Keisel becoming a very capable (and cap-friendly) backup.

Right now the Steelers look like they will be two deep starter-capable at every position across the defensive line next season.

Casey Hampton came in this year ready to play. He is playing at a very high level this pre-season.

Hampton is a beast. He's the cornerstone of everything Dick LeBeau wants to do with his LB's in this defense. Hampton is a run-stuffer-extraordinaire! He plugs up the middle so rediculously well that finding a replacement for him is not going to be easy.

You know.. we rarely agree in here...

BUt that was a DANG good post and IMO, dead on. I didn't even think about it in those contexts.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2009, 03:32 PM
I think Hampton would take a hometown discount to stay in Pittsburgh and win rather than take a big contract like one the Broncos might give him to come play nose for them and lose.

Hampton is already a very rich man unless he has eaten away every penny he has been paid by the Steelers since he has been drafted.

And as for Big Snack being cut this year, that's not going to happen. If anything, he plays out the last year of his contract and then we let him walk away as a free agent.

The Steelers drafted Ziggy Hood to take over at defensive end, not for Hampton as nose tackle. I think he will be in the rotation this year to keep guys legs fresh and might crack the starting lineup next year or just be rotated.

Yeah the Steelers signed Keisel to a five year deal, but the last two years are probably very cap friendly that leaves no cap repercussions if he were to be cut after year three.

He's going to start this year, and then might find that he only takes fifty percent of defensive snaps next year. Year three, Hood takes over full time and Keisel rotates in to keep guys fresh.

Aaron Smith isn't being cut to make room to get Hood into the starting lineup either. He's been our best defensive end for years and is probably the most unappreciated player on the defense by the media.

Steeldude
09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
put it this way. when hampton(year he was injured) went down the steelers defense actually did better. there was no drop-off with hoke in.

hampton is overweight, old, costly and does not have the fire he once possessed. he'll stay for this year, but next year he will most likely be gone. although, 2010 is an uncapped year. so that might save him.

steelreserve
09-01-2009, 04:53 PM
I think Hampton would take a hometown discount to stay in Pittsburgh and win rather than take a big contract like one the Broncos might give him to come play nose for them and lose.

This IS the same Casey Hampton who said recently that the Steelers are "going to have to step up and pay me", correct? And who said in training camp that he doesn't give a shit about camaraderie or bonding with his teammates; he just hates the hard practices?

Just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same guy. Because, you know, that doesn't sound like a guy who's going to take a hometown discount. More like a guy who thinks he'd look good in a silver helmet with a blue star on the side.

revefsreleets
09-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I see Hampton testing the waters and some idiot team switching over to the 3-4 or failing at the 3-4 paying a trillion dollars to come in and anchor their D.

If the Steelers can sign him, they will but they WILL NOT OVERPAY for him...The decision is 100% Casey's: Take the money and run to a loser or stay at a discount and keep winning.

Steeldude
09-01-2009, 05:47 PM
.The decision is 100% Casey's: Take the money and run to a loser or stay at a discount and keep winning

i am guessing he will take the money because he has 2 SB rings already.

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 05:49 PM
put it this way. when hampton(year he was injured) went down the steelers defense actually did better. there was no drop-off with hoke in.

hampton is overweight, old, costly and does not have the fire he once possessed. he'll stay for this year, but next year he will most likely be gone. although, 2010 is an uncapped year. so that might save him.

that proves it!

Hampton sucks, let's cut him

please email Tomlin

ps - u da man

Steeldude
09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
that proves it!

Hampton sucks, let's cut him

please email Tomlin

ps - u da man

proves what? are you saying he isn't overweight? are you saying he isn't old? are you saying he isn't going to want a raise? are you saying the defense did worse when hoke was in?

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 07:30 PM
proves what? are you saying he isn't overweight? are you saying he isn't old? are you saying he isn't going to want a raise? are you saying the defense did worse when hoke was in?

wasn't last year's D one of the best ever?

how were they so good when they were stuck with fatboy Hampton and not superstar Hoke?

Steeldude
09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
wasn't last year's D one of the best ever

that still doesn't mean the steelers can't live without hampton or suffer a drop in effectiveness if he leaves. you have to weigh the pros and cons. if there is no cap then sign him, but if there isn't one then you might have to let him go.

how were they so good when they were stuck with fatboy Hampton and not superstar Hoke

huh? did hoke start in his place? no? did hoke take over when hampton was hurt most of the season a few years back? yes. did the defense improve during that time? yes. correct me if i am wrong, but isn't hampton a 2-down lineman?

i will take a fit hampton over hoke, but an old, overweight hampton is expendable if need be.

steelreserve
09-02-2009, 02:28 AM
huh? did hoke start in his place? no? did hoke take over when hampton was hurt most of the season a few years back? yes. did the defense improve during that time? yes. correct me if i am wrong, but isn't hampton a 2-down lineman?

i will take a fit hampton over hoke, but an old, overweight hampton is expendable if need be.

That's the thing of it. Whether we re-sign him or not, we'll probably have to find someone to take his place in two years, tops. Whether that's Hoke or Hood or someone else, who knows, but he can't keep this up forever.

HometownGal
09-02-2009, 06:39 AM
My take:

A-freakin'-MEN. You nailed it. :applaudit::thumbsup:

Fire Haley
09-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Casey thinks he might be gone too

Hampton senses his time is up with Steelers

No contract talks in progress

This could be Hampton's last season here and, the way he spoke yesterday, it likely will be his last with the Steelers.

"Yeah, it's coming down to that," Hampton said. "If they don't do contracts during the season, then that'll make me a free agent."

"If I get to free agency, man, I mean everybody knows what it is. So I don't need to say something about that. If they let me get to free agency, everybody knows what it's going to be, so there's no need to even talk about it."

Did someone say talk? There has been nothing of the kind on a contract extension for Hampton, one of six starters who will play under their final contract year in 2009. He actually will earn less in salary this season than last, more than $700,000 less. His salary for 2009 is $3,075,000. It was $3.8 million last season.

At that, he looks like a bargain, even as he turns 32 years old tomorrow. He is one year older than defensive end Brett Keisel, who now makes more than Hampton after signing his new contract Monday for five years and nearly $19 million with a $5 million signing bonus.

The Steelers also could put the franchise tag on Hampton next season, which would require a one-year contract of more than $6 million.

"They ain't going to do that," Hampton insisted. "It ain't going to happen."

Hampton does not want to think about why the Steelers signed his linemate -- who has not made a Pro Bowl --and not him, and he does not want to think about what might happen after the season.

"All that don't matter, man," Hampton said. "My main focus is going back to the Super Bowl. I ain't no selfish guy, I've never been a selfish guy since I've been here. I've always been a team guy, and my main focus is to get back to the Super Bowl, helping these guys and showing them how to work and get back to it. We can't get complacent like we were last time. That's my goal."

Yet there are times he just cannot help himself.

"Being here this long and just being here and playing for them this period of time, I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't bother me because I do want to be here. You know what I'm saying? And I would like the security of being here, but I understand it's a business."

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09245/994809-66.stm#ixzz0PwmJTOOy

SteelMember
09-02-2009, 08:14 AM
I really wish we didn't have multple threads on the same subjects...Does there need to be a new one for every single "article" that is written on the subject. :mad:

The Lakelander
09-02-2009, 10:14 AM
You know.. we rarely agree in here...

BUt that was a DANG good post and IMO, dead on. I didn't even think about it in those contexts.

Actually Preacher ... we started off on the wrong foot, but I've been reading your posts throughout the off-season and camp and I really respect your perspectives on this team. I agree with much of what you post.

The only thing I posted on here that was remotely controversial was my slant on Redman. I got (deservedly or not) lambasted for my perspective on this kid. Time will tell ...

PalmerSteel
09-02-2009, 11:50 AM
agree with everything except with that thing that is green called money and if someone offers him a boatload of it more somewhere else, it would be hard for him to resist, just like with %99.9 of humans. he will be overpaid by someone, same as parker. enjoy them both this year because more than likely its their last year here, unfortunately.

steelreserve
09-02-2009, 11:57 AM
He actually will earn less in salary this season than last, more than $700,000 less. His salary for 2009 is $3,075,000. It was $3.8 million last season.

At that, he looks like a bargain, even as he turns 32 years old tomorrow. He is one year older than defensive end Brett Keisel, who now makes more than Hampton after signing his new contract Monday for five years and nearly $19 million with a $5 million signing bonus.

See, I hate it when people talk about salaries this way, especially sports reporters, who ought to know better. Hey, just ignore the signing bonus when you want to make it look like a guy is underpaid, but count the signing bonus when you want to make it look like someone's making a shitload of money.

Hampton's deal was for five years and $23 million with a $7 million signing bonus. He makes more than Keisel, period. This idiot ignored Hampton's bonus and then counted Keisel's in the very next sentence. You have to do better than that, jerky.

Not to mention the fact that Hampton's deal was in 2005, when the salary cap was $85 million (two-thirds of today's cap). So by today's standards, that would be the equivalent of a $7-million-a-year deal, with $10.5 million coming in the signing bonus. Not too shabby.

The Steelers also could put the franchise tag on Hampton next season, which would require a one-year contract of more than $6 million.

"They ain't going to do that," Hampton insisted. "It ain't going to happen."

Why not, Casey? You going to hold out and bitch about being one of the highest paid linemen in the league, and maybe winning another Super Bowl?

I don't know about this one. Seems like he already sees himself in the silver and black. Or at least doesn't give a shit who he plays for, and cares a lot about who will give him the biggest wheelbarrow full of money. Hometown discount my ass.