PDA

View Full Version : Top Selling NFL Jerseys

Dino 6 Rings
09-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Exclusive: Favre, Vick At Top Of Jersey List

Perhaps the most interesting jersey sales list of all time has hit our desk at CNBC. It's the NFLShop.com's best selling jersey list from April 1-August 28.

Brett Favre Vikings jerseys now top the list at No. 1, even though the jerseys only became available when Favre signed with the team a couple weeks ago.

And despite being passed over by big retailer Dick's Sporting Goods [DKS 21.60 -0.81 (-3.61%) ], Michael Vick's Philadelphia Eagles jerseys sold well enough to make their debut at No. 4.

Also of interest is the fact that Michael Crabtree jerseys are in the top 20 even though the Texas Tech wide receiver is still holding out.

Here's the entire list from sales on NFLShop.com from the NFL's first four months of the fiscal year.

1. Brett Favre, Vikings
2. Jay Cutler, Bears
3. Troy Polamalu, Steelers
4. Michael Vick, Eagles
5. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers
6. Tony Romo, Cowboys
7. Mark Sanchez, Jets
8. Tom Brady, Patriots
9. Adrian Peterson, Vikings
10. Eli Manning, Giants
11. Terrell Owens, Bills
12. Peyton Manning, Colts
13. Hines Ward, Steelers
14. LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers
15. Jason Witten, Cowboys
16. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
17. Joe Flacco, Ravens
18. Matt Ryan, Falcons
19. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
20. Michael Crabtree, 49ers

Update: Crabtree's holdout is hurting his jersey sales. He was No. 8 earlier this month.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32628362

Dino 6 Rings
09-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Couple things I find interesting. First is Troy is the ONLY defensive player on the top 20 list.

I figured McFadden Jerseys in Oakland would still be selling well but I guess they suck so bad even Raider nation is pinching its pennies this season.

Vick...There is a reason I find Philly fans to be the bottom of the barrell...and they continue to prove me correct.

Larry Fitz...PITT GRAD...just tossing that in for fun.

Ravnet
09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Dang.

Vick signed a month ago(?) and isn't picked up by Dicks yet still sells that many jerseys.

I guess it's a statement to wear his name on your back, which makes sense.

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Larry Fitz...PITT GRAD...just tossing that in for fun.

Fitz graduated from Pitt? I thought he got out of that $hithole as soon as he possibly could

Hammer Of The GODS
09-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Here's the way I see it...........

You take out the "player on a new team" thing ( as you should to be an honest list) and there are 3 Steelers in the top ten and 2 at the top 'O the list.

1. Troy Polamalu, Steelers
2. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers
3. Tony Romo, Cowboys
4. Tom Brady, Patriots
5. Adrian Peterson, Vikings
6. Eli Manning, Giants
7. Peyton Manning, Colts
8. Hines Ward, Steelers

And lets be honest. The whole staff at ESPN is keeping Marsha in the top ten!

steelreserve
09-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Couple things I find interesting. First is Troy is the ONLY defensive player on the top 20 list.

Doesn't Favre count? He plays a lot of defense on interception runbacks.

SteelTalons
09-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Who the hell buys the jersey of a bum who is so moody about not getting top 10 money, he is willing to sit out the entire year and reenter the draft?! Not to mention how stupid it is considering the guy is making it clear he wants nothing to do with the 49ers... And yet! People by the bums jersey. :doh:

Go figure, I can sorta understand Vick or Favre more than I can Crabby.

lilyoder6
09-01-2009, 08:56 PM
i doubt it's only philly fans are buying vick jerseys..

i mean shit... i was tempted 2 buy a vick jersey

SteelersMongol
09-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I think soon Sweed's jersey will B sold like crazy.

:toofunny: U'r bad. :laughing:

Galax Steeler
09-02-2009, 06:43 AM
My next one is going to be Ziggy.

revefsreleets
09-02-2009, 08:24 AM
I BET a lot of the fans buying Vick and Favre jerseys ALSO think THEY should be their respective team's OC...the best and the brightest they are not...

The_WARDen
09-02-2009, 09:12 AM
i doubt it's only philly fans are buying vick jerseys..

i mean shit... i was tempted 2 buy a vick jersey

taking the whole morality argument out of the equation..why would you buy the jersey of backup QB?

:noidea:

Dino 6 Rings
09-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Fitz graduated from Pitt? I thought he got out of that $hithole as soon as he possibly could

aww how cute, you're still mad that PSU doesn't send anybody worth a damn to the NFL these days.

Dino 6 Rings
09-02-2009, 10:10 AM

LOL!!!

RoethlisBURGHer
09-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Who the hell buys the jersey of a bum who is so moody about not getting top 10 money, he is willing to sit out the entire year and reenter the draft?! Not to mention how stupid it is considering the guy is making it clear he wants nothing to do with the 49ers... And yet! People by the bums jersey. :doh:

Go figure, I can sorta understand Vick or Favre more than I can Crabby.

I think a lot of fans bought his jersey after they drafted him, once numbers were picked the jerseys went on sale.

Now that he's holding out, and it's obviously going to last into the season (and I honestly think he will sit out ALL SEASON and then re-enter the draft), people have stopped buying, therefore the drop from #8 to #20.

steelreserve
09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I think a lot of fans bought his jersey after they drafted him, once numbers were picked the jerseys went on sale.

Now that he's holding out, and it's obviously going to last into the season (and I honestly think he will sit out ALL SEASON and then re-enter the draft), people have stopped buying, therefore the drop from #8 to #20.

At some point, someone REALLY needs to explain to him that sitting out a whole season is going to cost him a hell of a lot more money than he can expect to ever make out of it.

I mean, let me get this straight: He expects to sit out a whole year and then have someone spend a top-five pick on him AFTER he pulled a stunt like this? Fat chance, buddy. I don't care if you're the greatest receiver in the history of the game, you just knocked yourself out of the first round entirely, maybe the first day. No one is going to take a chance with a high pick on you after that. You'll be lucky to make $1 million a year, not $8-$10M. I'm just checking. I mean, that's seriously your plan? Because it sounds kind of like a joke.

You know what else I worry about if he does sit out the whole year? Everyone passes on him all day, and then the fricking Patriots snag him at like #25 and he miraculously shows up a changed man with a great attitude and everything. That IS something that would happen.

SteelTalons
09-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Maybe thats his plan? :noidea:

Be a complete ass, loss a little bit of money sure. But it will cause him to drop down out of the top 10 area into the bottom of the 1st at best, so he can go directly to a decent team instead of a rebuilding one. Doesn't have to the the Cheats, it could be anyone down there really.

lilyoder6
09-02-2009, 05:44 PM
taking the whole morality argument out of the equation..why would you buy the jersey of backup QB?

:noidea:

just b/c it's vick..
and u never know in philly.. i mean they did bench mcnabb at halftime against the ravens 1 game

Psyychoward86
09-02-2009, 05:47 PM
dam right. I'm not surprised Polamalu is up there, but it's nice to see Big Ben up there.

steelreserve
09-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Maybe thats his plan? :noidea:

Be a complete ass, loss a little bit of money sure. But it will cause him to drop down out of the top 10 area into the bottom of the 1st at best, so he can go directly to a decent team instead of a rebuilding one. Doesn't have to the the Cheats, it could be anyone down there really.

Somehow, that seems like a counterproductive plan. I mean, everyone likes winning, but voluntarily knocking yourself 20 places down in the draft is going to cost you about $30 million. I think he really believes he can get more money this way. Boy, is he in for a surprise.

SteelTalons
09-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Somehow, that seems like a counterproductive plan. I mean, everyone likes winning, but voluntarily knocking yourself 20 places down in the draft is going to cost you about $30 million. I think he really believes he can get more money this way. Boy, is he in for a surprise.

I guess it depends on what you value more... Money, ether way he's gonna earn a nice chunk. If not now, somewhere down the line. So while he might have to live modestly he will up his odds on getting some rings. But Id say your probably right, its about a 90% chance this bonehead actually thinks he can get top 10 money.

I was just fleshing out another possible reason for this idiotic move on his part.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-02-2009, 10:51 PM
I guess it depends on what you value more... Money, ether way he's gonna earn a nice chunk. If not now, somewhere down the line. So while he might have to live modestly he will up his odds on getting some rings. But Id say your probably right, its about a 90% chance this bonehead actually thinks he can get top 10 money.

I was just fleshing out another possible reason for this idiotic move on his part.

Is it possible? Yes.

What I don't get is the college QB that threw him all those balls that made him such a productive receiver is considered a system QB....but Crabtree isn't considered a system WR.

When you throw the ball all the time, receivers are going to put up big numbers like Crabtree did...especially in the Big 12 where nobody plays defense.

sharkweek
09-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Is it possible? Yes.

What I don't get is the college QB that threw him all those balls that made him such a productive receiver is considered a system QB....but Crabtree isn't considered a system WR.

When you throw the ball all the time, receivers are going to put up big numbers like Crabtree did...especially in the Big 12 where nobody plays defense.

I guess you never saw him actually play. The kid has a gift for catching the football. Its one thing to fake out inept college defenders and run for TDs all over the place and make yourself look like a god (see Vince Young or Reggie Bush) but when push comes to shove, skill and talent involved with catching a pass thrown your way is pretty undeniable whether it be college or NFL. Larry Fitzgerald for instance...every bit as dominant as he was in college. Even our own Santonio Holmes.

steelreserve
09-03-2009, 02:08 PM

I don't think there's any rookie in history who's held out for less money and the chance to go to a better team. Especially when his agent has publicly stated that the holdout is over money because he feels like he was slighted by Al Davis and should be the highest-paid receiver in the draft. The whole thing is a fricking fantasy football mock draft argument.

ricksteelers55
09-04-2009, 02:08 AM
At some point, someone REALLY needs to explain to him that sitting out a whole season is going to cost him a hell of a lot more money than he can expect to ever make out of it.

I mean, let me get this straight: He expects to sit out a whole year and then have someone spend a top-five pick on him AFTER he pulled a stunt like this? Fat chance, buddy. I don't care if you're the greatest receiver in the history of the game, you just knocked yourself out of the first round entirely, maybe the first day. No one is going to take a chance with a high pick on you after that. You'll be lucky to make $1 million a year, not $8-$10M. I'm just checking. I mean, that's seriously your plan? Because it sounds kind of like a joke.

You know what else I worry about if he does sit out the whole year? Everyone passes on him all day, and then the fricking Patriots snag him at like #25 and he miraculously shows up a changed man with a great attitude and everything. That IS something that would happen.

The funniest thing would be that the NFL and NFLPA sign a CBA before next year's draft with a rookie salary cap.Then he tries to sign the offer from the 49ers but they withdraw and he gets draft in the 2nd or 3rd day with a ridiculous base salary instead of what he would have got originally from the niners

steelreserve
09-04-2009, 11:53 AM
The funniest thing would be that the NFL and NFLPA sign a CBA before next year's draft with a rookie salary cap.Then he tries to sign the offer from the 49ers but they withdraw and he gets draft in the 2nd or 3rd day with a ridiculous base salary instead of what he would have got originally from the niners

With or without a rookie salary cap, unless he signs what the Niners put in front of him, Crabtree is probably costing himself a cool $30 million because his ego is so big he wants to haggle over $2 million. He's an idiot, and if that's what happens, he's getting exactly what he deserves.

It's a shame, too, because I thought he might finally be the kind of awesomely talented guy that could get the 49ers over the hump to at least being a serious football team again.