PDA

View Full Version : Hampton not sweating release rumors, contract

mesaSteeler
09-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Hampton not sweating release rumors, contract

Posted September 1, 2009 5 :11 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/

There are rumors, apparently circulating over the Internet, which of course makes them true, that the Steelers are going to release veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton.

That is news to Hampton.

"Oh, they're going to cut me today?" Hampton said after practice.

If he didn't seem too concerned about such a silly notion, neither did inside linebacker James Farrior, who has long benefited from Hampton occupying multiple blockers up front.

"Been nice working with you, dawg," Farrior said with a laugh as he left the Steelers' locker room.

Unfortunately for Hampton, Farrior may say something similar to him in the not-so-distant future.

Hampton is one of a handful of starters going into the final year of his contract, and the Steelers may be finished doing business until after the 2009 season following the signing of defensive end Brett Keisel to a five-year deal Monday.

"If they let me get to free agency, everybody knows what it's going to be," said Hampton, who has made four Pro Bowls. "There ain't nothing to even talk about."

That might be another way of saying that Hampton is out of here if the Steelers don't sign him to a new deal prior to the regular-season opener on Sept. 10.

Hampton spouted the same company line that others in his position have said since preseason practice started sort of.

"I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me but that's part of the business," Hampton said. "But I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not going to make a grudge and say 'I can't understand why they didn't sign me.' I understand it's a business but being here this long ... I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't bother me because I do want to be here."

Of course, there is some risk for the Steelers to signing the 6-1 Hampton, who is listed at 325 pounds, to a long-term deal. He is on the wrong side of 30, and his weight is always going to be a concern.

The risk to not signing him, of course, is trying to find someone to plug into the middle of the Steelers' 3-4 defense. Those players aren't nearly as easy to find as, say, linebackers.

And Hampton, who turns 32 on Thursday, said he still has plenty of good years left in him.

"Ain't no question in my mind. I know what I'm capable of doing," Hampton said. "I was banged up all last year. Played through it, never complained. I'm feeling real healthy this year and I feel like when I'm healthy...we're going to see."

But, he added, his contract situation will not become a distraction or a problem for the Steelers.

"Just trying to win a Super Bowl," Hampton said. "Not trying to be complacent like we were last time, just trying to show these young guys to work to get back to where we were at."

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 05:19 PM
we don't need that fat loser

It's a proven fact we are better without him

sharkweek
09-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Of course he wants to be here, the question is will he still want to be here given how much we'd probably be willing to pay him.

steelreserve
09-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Since we saved a couple million from Keisel, and Hampton's making $6.6M ... maybe we hurry and offer him $8M or so for the next couple years? Otherwise that couple million is just wasted money.

If not, I see a franchise in Casey's future, and not of the fast-food variety.

BlastFurnace
09-01-2009, 05:34 PM
we don't need that fat loser

It's a proven fact we are better without him

You can't be serious.

There are no facts at all that prove that. If there are, show them.

steelreserve
09-01-2009, 05:36 PM
You can't be serious.

I think he's talking about the same "facts" that show we should cut Ben and make Redman the starting RB, and hang Arians at the 50-yard line at halftime of the home opener. That's about how serious it is.

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 05:37 PM
You can't be serious.

I wasn't. Just re-posting some of the garbage in the other Hampton thread

Hampton is one of my fav players

mesaSteeler
09-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Well if he follows Ward's example and gives the Steelers a hometown discount then he may stick around after next year. If not well then we will have to wish him well with his new team. Big Snack has been in Coach T's doghouse.

AllD
09-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Does Big Snack get any local commercials for restaurants? Endorsement money is good to offset a light contract.

Preacher
09-01-2009, 05:42 PM

We REALLY need a sarcasm smiley :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2009, 05:44 PM
He could get tagged next season for a year and a replacement found.

I was a fan of picking up Myron Pryor or Antonio Dixon late in the draft last year, but the Patriots(6th round) and Redskins (7th round) beat us to them.

Steeldude
09-01-2009, 06:33 PM

really? i don't see any posts saying we don't need that fat loser or It's a proven fact we are better without him

looks to me like you can't take the fact that he is overweight, over 30(better days behind him), wants more money and that there was no drop-off with hoke in during hampton's absence. you have to learn how to control your emotions when reading comments about a player you have grown attached to.

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
really? i don't see any posts saying or

looks to me like you can't take the fact that he is overweight, over 30(better days behind him), wants more money and that there was no drop-off with hoke in during hampton's absence. you have to learn how to control your emotions when reading comments about a player you have grown attached to.

sounds to me you don't know a thing about how the 3-4 defense works

Steeldude
09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
sounds to me you don't know a thing about how the 3-4 defense works

care to debate it? or would you rather make empty comments over and over? your choice.

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
care to debate it? or would you rather make empty comments over and over? your choice.

not really. not with someone like you making empty comments about how we dont need Hampton

onefortheotherhand
09-01-2009, 07:22 PM
why is there like always arguments on random threads? were all brothers in black and gold

Steeldude
09-01-2009, 07:25 PM
not really. not with someone like you making empty comments about how we dont need Hampton

well since that is false, i'll take your post as you being too cowardly to back your argument. you can go now.

but when you do gather the courage let me know. ok? :smile:

LVSteelersfan
09-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Hampton is being set up as the franchise player next year. If there is no CBA, I believe the rules are different any way. So it depends on how the CBA negoitations go. Hampton is good in there but Hoke fills in with little to no dropoff. Hoke is getting older as well so obviously the Steelers need to find the future NT. Could be Ziggy but somehow I don't think so.

BlastFurnace
09-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Ok. My bad.

:drink:

SteelersMongol
09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
why is there like always arguments on random threads? were all brothers in black and gold

Yeah, cut it out. Everyone has the right 2 express their opinions, (at least that's what U Americans trying let the rest of world understand, right? :chuckle: ) so even if u don't like what the other person is saying, please B respectful.

There is a lot of love out there, U know? :laughing:

tony hipchest
09-01-2009, 08:06 PM
HOLY SHIT... :jawdrop:

Casey Announces He is Retiring :banging:

http://twitter.com/jimwexell

Casey said if the Lions pick him up -- after he's cut of course -- he'll retire. Much more w Hamp later.

gotta love twitter news.

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 08:24 PM

yeah i know, i just lose it when people make ridiculous statements like we are better off without Hampton or Polamalu is not fast, etc

i need to remember the ignore function is my friend

Steel Head
09-01-2009, 08:30 PM
well since that is false, i'll take your post as you being too cowardly to back your argument. you can go now.

but when you do gather the courage let me know. ok? :smile:

it's not couragous to argue with simple minded folks imo

welcome to my ignore list, do not respond

lilyoder6
09-01-2009, 08:41 PM
well i don't think hampton will get his contract b4 the season opeaner.. unless they been talking 4 a while now...

maybe if douche bag max starks wasn't taking up 8 mill this yr.. we would have enough money 2 re-sign another player who is in there final yr of the contract

tony hipchest
09-01-2009, 08:42 PM
well i don't think hampton will get his contract b4 the season opeaner.. unless they been talking 4 a while now...

maybe if douche bag max starks wasn't taking up 8 mill this yr.. we would have enough money 2 re-sign another player who is in there final yr of the contractmax starks extended and restructured. he is no longer on a franchise tag.

SteelTalons
09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
HOLY SHIT... :jawdrop:

Casey Announces He is Retiring :banging:

http://twitter.com/jimwexell

gotta love twitter news.

I don't blame him! :toofunny:

In all serious though, Foote could use a little help up there. :scratchchin:

I think he's Oakland bound though if he goes into Free Agency.

stb_steeler
09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
It be real hard filling up that gap if he goes. Isnt it a problem every year hes overweight?. seems like every camp hes told to lose some pounds. He seems to scrimp by. Personaly id hate to see them let him go, i mean he is reliable.

GBMelBlount
09-01-2009, 10:23 PM
...he (hampton) is overweight, over 30(better days behind him), wants more money and there was no drop-off with hoke in during hampton's absence.

Hampton is a good player but these are legitimate and objective points.....

truesteelerfan
09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Hampton has been a real asset to us. But I think its safe to say his best days are behind him. See how he plays this year...if he's awesome, tag him...then he'll be what...32 or 33 and hopefully will take a reasonable offer from us if he wants to return 4-5M/year? If he's not, or if he's hurt, let him leave. I know a NT isn't an easy position to fill, but we can't pay everybody, gotta keep some young guys on the roster. We all know our coaches and FO do a great job of finding players who fit in right?

Steeldude
09-01-2009, 11:44 PM
it's not couragous to argue with simple minded folks imo

welcome to my ignore list, do not respond

steel head, you remind me so much of the kordell lovers back in the day. now run and hide. btw, thanks for proving your ignorance :thumbsup:

and the offer still remains. if you gather the courage to debate me on hampton i am always here :popcorn: otherwise continue hiding :wave:

Steeldude
09-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Hampton is a good player but these are legitimate and objective points.....

thank you. it's too bad some people can't get passed their personal feelings towards a player and see the whole picture. i have no problem if the steelers keep hampton, but there are some cons to re-signing him. it would be great if he could get his weight back to around 325-330.

tony hipchest
09-01-2009, 11:51 PM
it would be great if he could get his weight back to around 325-330.

why?

so he could be an interior lineman in a 4-3?

(i'll take 2 sb's @330+) :cheers:

but while were on the topic, i wish jerome woulda played the 05 season under 250 lbs.

we maybe coulda punched in a few more td's on top of that championship season.

:hunch:

SteelMember
09-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Since we saved a couple million from Keisel, and Hampton's making $6.6M ... maybe we hurry and offer him $8M or so for the next couple years? Otherwise that couple million is just wasted money.

If not, I see a franchise in Casey's future, and not of the fast-food variety.

Some interesting tibits here...I'm sure it will get it's own thread, but I'll post it here anyway. :noidea:

Hampton senses his time is up with Steelers
No contract talks in progress
Wednesday, September 02, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton is entering the final year of his contract.Casey Hampton laughed yesterday and so did coordinator Dick LeBeau over the "report" on the NFL Network that the four-time Pro Bowl nose tackle could be cut or traded before the start of the season.

That has as good a chance of happening as did the signing of Michael Vick by the Steelers.

What's not a laughing matter is that this could be Hampton's last season here and, the way he spoke yesterday, it likely will be his last with the Steelers.

Let Hampton connect the dots.

"Yeah, it's coming down to that," Hampton said. "If they don't do contracts during the season, then that'll make me a free agent."

And ...

"If I get to free agency, man, I mean everybody knows what it is. So I don't need to say something about that. If they let me get to free agency, everybody knows what it's going to be, so there's no need to even talk about it."

Did someone say talk? There has been nothing of the kind on a contract extension for Hampton, one of six starters who will play under their final contract year in 2009. He actually will earn less in salary this season than last, more than $700,000 less. His salary for 2009 is $3,075,000. It was $3.8 million last season.

At that, he looks like a bargain, even as he turns 32 years old tomorrow. He is one year older than defensive end Brett Keisel, who now makes more than Hampton after signing his new contract Monday for five years and nearly $19 million with a $5 million signing bonus.

The Steelers also could put the franchise tag on Hampton next season, which would require a one-year contract of more than $6 million.

"They ain't going to do that," Hampton insisted. "It ain't going to happen."

Hampton does not want to think about why the Steelers signed his linemate -- who has not made a Pro Bowl --and not him, and he does not want to think about what might happen after the season.

"All that don't matter, man," Hampton said. "My main focus is going back to the Super Bowl. I ain't no selfish guy, I've never been a selfish guy since I've been here. I've always been a team guy, and my main focus is to get back to the Super Bowl, helping these guys and showing them how to work and get back to it. We can't get complacent like we were last time. That's my goal."

Yet there are times he just cannot help himself.

"Being here this long and just being here and playing for them this period of time, I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't bother me because I do want to be here. You know what I'm saying? And I would like the security of being here, but I understand it's a business."

Hampton's role expands
Hampton might no longer have to carry around a tag as a two-down player because the Steelers have expanded his role.

Offenses long ago found a way to get the 350-and-something run-stopper off the field and thwart the Steelers' strategy with their nickel and dime defenses. They would send three receivers onto the field, the Steelers would respond with a nickel and dime defense, sending Hampton to the sideline, and then the offense would call a run.

LeBeau has put in a package in which Hampton stays on the field in some shorter passing situations.

"A lot of teams last year tried to put us in a nickel defense and stuff like that, run the ball on us," Hampton said. "So they have new packages where I play on third-down defenses a lot more, so I'm looking forward to it."

That does not sound like plans for a guy they want to get rid of.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09245/994809-66.stm#ixzz0PwzPxtOS

Steeldude
09-02-2009, 11:51 AM
why?

(i'll take 2 sb's @330+) :cheers:

but while were on the topic, i wish jerome woulda played the 05 season under 250 lbs.

we maybe coulda punched in a few more td's on top of that championship season.

:hunch:

he was a NT at that weight before. he wasn't being shoved around then. if anything he was actually more agile. do you think NT's in a 3-4 have to be 360+? also, the losing some weight would extend his career.

i'll take 2 sb's @330+

and i listed 330 :smile: would you rather have him at 330 or 360?

but while were on the topic, i wish jerome woulda played the 05 season under 250 lbs

well if that's what you wish. i don't see how weighing 249 or below would automatically equate to more TDs, but it could have helped his knees.

you aren't very good at playing devil's advocate :wink02:

steelreserve
09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
His salary for 2009 is $3,075,000. It was $3.8 million last season.

At that, he looks like a bargain, even as he turns 32 years old tomorrow. He is one year older than defensive end Brett Keisel, who now makes more than Hampton after signing his new contract Monday for five years and nearly $19 million with a $5 million signing bonus.

As I pointed out in the other thread, that's a horseshit figure that the guy put out there to make people go "OMG, Keisel is getting paid more!!" He included Keisel's signing bonus, but only Hampton's base salary, leaving out bonus or incentives. No. Hampton was $23 million over five years, $7 million signing bonus. He's not "making" $3.0 million unless you ignore all the money we already paid him up front, which is indeed very real money that definitely doe count toward our salary cap. He's making closer to $5 million, although I guess I was basing what I said on his $6.6M cap hit, which may not even be correct. At any rate, the poor guy isn't as underpaid as this clown would have you believe.

The Steelers also could put the franchise tag on Hampton next season, which would require a one-year contract of more than $6 million.

"They ain't going to do that," Hampton insisted. "It ain't going to happen."

Well, I was wrong about how much the franchise tag would cost. I thought they grouped all DLs into one bunch, which would've meant an $8M tag. But apparently they don't, which actually works in our favor.

So I don't see what the big deal is. Hampton's at $5M, franchise tag is $6M, we've already got $1-$2M in free cap space ... well, you do the math.