PDA

View Full Version : A few observations ....


The Lakelander
09-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Game 4 preseason is tomorrow night against the Carolina Panthers.

The past two pre-seasons under Tomlin, the Steelers have focused on just two (2) RB's in those games.

The primary RB was Gary Russell (21 carries - 62 yards) in 2007 and Rashard Mendenhall (21 carries - 79 yards) last year.

The secondary RB was Verron Haynes (13 carries - 47 yards) in 2007 and Gary Russell (14 carries - 43 yards) last year.

Haynes and Russell were both capable special teamers, though Haynes was better.

It seems very scripted to me in terms of number of carries for the primary and secondary RB's.

In both cases the secondary runner made the 53 man roster.

Mendenhall should see 20 - 22 carries tomorrow night, while it would appear that Redman would get around 12-14 carries.

Unless, of course we see Logan get the secondary carries (which would be unprecedented).

If Vincent gets the secondary carries, then Redman is getting cut. If Redman gets those carries then Vincent is getting cut.

I feel strongly that the Steelers are going to find room for Logan as a "specialist" on this team and add an additional spot to the roster at the expense of an entirely different roster position for him.

Battles to watch tomorrow

> Redman vs. The Turk (if Redman shines with the rock, he's a tough cut)
> Summers vs. Davis (pay especial attention to Summers on special teams)
> Bruce Davis vs. Donovan Woods vs. Arnold Harrison vs. Patrick Bailey (this is a battle-royale brewing here ... the Turk is calling ... !!!)
> Urbik vs. Capizzi vs. Foster (this is a very close battle, but Urbik and Foster can both play T)
> Madison vs. Burnett vs. Roy Lewis (especially on special teams)
> Brandon Williams vs. Dallas Baker (both will see the Turk, one makes it back onto the practice sqaud)

Doggonit ... !!! The shut-out last week was bittersweet from the perspective that it limited the number of special teams chances these guys had.

Almost certain cuts

QB - Reilly
RB - Vincent
WR - Grisham
WR - Williams - PS recall
WR - Baker
TE - Sherrod
C - Shipley - PS recall
OG - Parquet
DT - McLendon
DT - Paxson - PS recall
LB - Shantz
LB - Korte
LB - Davis - PS recall
CB - R. Lewis - PS recall
K - Czech

The final 7 godawfully difficult cuts

Davis or Summers - The Tank turks then gets a PS recall
McHugh or Johnson - McHugh sees the Turk
Urbik or Capizzi or Foster - Capizzi sees the Turk, Urbik or Foster is too close to call, but my guess is Foster gets the Turk and then gets a PS recall
Burnett or Madison - Madison gets a very tough but cap-friendly Turk
Bailey or Woods or A. Harrison - OMG am I glad i don't have to make these calls.
Redman - unless somehow Mundy gets the Turk and then gets a PS recall and we use DeShea as the 4th safety ... ??? (which is being thrown around here alot).

steelreserve
09-02-2009, 11:36 AM
GDoggonit ... !!! The shut-out last week was bittersweet from the perspective that it limited the number of special teams chances these guys had.

Uhhh ... if you don't score, you punt, so there should've been roughly the same number of special teams chances. Turnovers and missed field goals are the only thing that would affect that.

That aside, I agree with most of your cuts, except I hope to God that instead of Summers, we cut Davis. And that afterward, he gets beaten up.

The Lakelander
09-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Uhhh ... if you don't score, you punt, so there should've been roughly the same number of special teams chances. Turnovers and missed field goals are the only thing that would affect that.

That aside, I agree with most of your cuts, except I hope to God that instead of Summers, we cut Davis. And that afterward, he gets beaten up.

I'd say about 95% of us wanted to see Tank beat out Davis. But Tank tanked due to an injury.

He needs a statement game tomorrow night.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I think its Tank vs. Redman. Davis has the team made as the FB and I think if Tank has a strong game he becomes the #4 RB and has the right to wear sweatpants most of the season. Logan may be kept if the Steelers only keep 7 D-linemen.

On the O line, Urbik, Hills, Legursky are locks...the final battle is between Foster and Capizzi.

Woods is the #4 ILB and will make it. He could push Bailey off the squad because he can play ST. I think Arnold Harrison becomes the #4 OLB and the question is between Davis and Bailey who makes it as the 9th LB.

IMO, both Burnett and Madison will make it. Mundy gets cut because both Townsend and Ratliff can play FS if needed.

WR's are gonna be Holmes, Ward, Sweed, Wallace, McDonald, Logan.

Indo
09-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I think its Tank vs. Redman. Davis has the team made as the FB and I think if Tank has a strong game he becomes the #4 RB and has the right to wear sweatpants most of the season. Logan may be kept if the Steelers only keep 7 D-linemen.

On the O line, Urbik, Hills, Legursky are locks...the final battle is between Foster and Capizzi.

Woods is the #4 ILB and will make it. He could push Bailey off the squad because he can play ST. I think Arnold Harrison becomes the #4 OLB and the question is between Davis and Bailey who makes it as the 9th LB.

IMO, both Burnett and Madison will make it. Mundy gets cut because both Townsend and Ratliff can play FS if needed.

WR's are gonna be Holmes, Ward, Sweed, Wallace, McDonald, Logan.

I agree with this---except maybe Capizzi beats out Foster
I was a "get rid of Burnett" dumbass several weeks ago (because of the drops), but he showed his real talent against the Bills and I agree he will make it
Logan makes it, IMO

Steely McSmash
09-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Have Urbik or Foster played OT in the preseason? I know that they have in college but I'm not aware that the Steelers have used them in this way.

Also you need to check on PS eligibility. Williams is a vet and not eligible, B. Davis probably not eligible since he's been on the 53 man roster for a full year.

McHugh may see IR instead of Turk also

steelreserve
09-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I think its Tank vs. Redman. Davis has the team made as the FB and I think if Tank has a strong game he becomes the #4 RB and has the right to wear sweatpants most of the season.

Unfortunately, that's probably right. In which case I'd give the edge to Tank, because let's face it, we could hide Redman on the practice squad for a year but probably not Summers.

I agree, Arnold Harrison seems to make the team every year and we know what we're getting, which is a solid backup and special teams player. So I don't see him going anywhere. Not holding out much hope for Bruce Davis. Just does not look like a good fit.

I'd be surprised if Capizzi beat out Foster ... seems like Foster has almost limitless potential, plus flexibility -- while Capizzi is kind of a known quantity, and that quantity is a stopgap guy whose potential tops out at barely making the team every year. At least that's the impression I've gotten.

It's too bad about Mundy, but I also doubt he makes the team. It doesn't sound like he had that kind of rapid development you look for. Maybe we try to give him one more year on the PS as an insurance policy against whatever happens next year, but we're too loaded at DB to carry him on the real roster.

I don't know about keeping Madison, either. We don't really need six cornerbacks, and his salary puts a bull's eye on his back. Heh, whether he stays or goes might depend on whether we're within $1 million a year of extending Clark or Holmes or someone like that.

Steely McSmash
09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Also I think McLendon might have a shot at the PS as a developmental NT project

The Lakelander
09-02-2009, 01:39 PM
I think its Tank vs. Redman. Davis has the team made as the FB and I think if Tank has a strong game he becomes the #4 RB and has the right to wear sweatpants most of the season. Logan may be kept if the Steelers only keep 7 D-linemen.



Logan's a lock in my estimation.

Let's see who gets the secondary carries tomorrow night. That will give us a big clue what the coaches are scripting.

I doubt it will be Tank because he has been looked at as direct competition with Davis as a lead blocker and special teams guy. I doubt it will be Davis because we already know what he's got. I doubt it will be Vincent because he has been unspectacular over two pre-seasons now.

My hunch is we'll see Tank leading Redman into the hole in the 2nd half tomorrow.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Logan's a lock in my estimation.

Let's see who gets the secondary carries tomorrow night. That will give us a big clue what the coaches are scripting.

I doubt it will be Tank because he has been looked at as direct competition with Davis as a lead blocker and special teams guy. I doubt it will be Davis because we already know what he's got. I doubt it will be Vincent because he has been unspectacular over two pre-seasons now.

My hunch is we'll see Tank leading Redman into the hole in the 2nd half tomorrow.
My hunch is it will be Dezmond Sherrod or David Johnson leading Redman. Summers is probably still bothered by the hammy and wont be pushed. The short yardage back is gonna be Mendenhall..........so both Redman and Summers might be relegated to PS.

Preacher
09-02-2009, 06:28 PM
My hunch is it will be Dezmond Sherrod or David Johnson leading Redman. Summers is probably still bothered by the hammy and wont be pushed. The short yardage back is gonna be Mendenhall..........so both Redman and Summers might be relegated to PS.


I was just going to ask if you have seen anywhere where Tank is playing today. I really want to evaluate him running with the first team.

You say he's not... is that something you read, or something you are thinking based on what his injury is?

BlastFurnace
09-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Logan's a lock in my estimation.

Let's see who gets the secondary carries tomorrow night. That will give us a big clue what the coaches are scripting.

I doubt it will be Tank because he has been looked at as direct competition with Davis as a lead blocker and special teams guy. I doubt it will be Davis because we already know what he's got. I doubt it will be Vincent because he has been unspectacular over two pre-seasons now.

My hunch is we'll see Tank leading Redman into the hole in the 2nd half tomorrow.

I'm curious what you think about this....

Some are down on Burnett because of the fumbles, but he has made two great plays this preaseason. Because of the fumbles, I believe it has skewed some people's belief that he shouldn't make the team.

If Logan fumbles anything tomorrow night, does it affect his status? Especially since he is primarily a player for one role.

Personally, I like Burnett alot as a player. I think he lasts less than 1 day unemployed if we cut him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I was just going to ask if you have seen anywhere where Tank is playing today. I really want to evaluate him running with the first team.

You say he's not... is that something you read, or something you are thinking based on what his injury is?

No, he will be playing on Thursday, but if you have ever had a hamstring injury, you will know that they dont get back to 100% in 2 weeks. Essentially Tank has to play on a bum hammy to try and make the team, but I dont think the coaching staff is gonna push him.

My guess is as another poster said, Redman is easier to hide on the PS and probably will end up there. Summers might get the #4 RB spot because of his draft status. Either way.......the #4 RB battle has never really interested me much.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I agree with Blast Furnace, Burnett got an INT that he almost took for 6 on a great read. He wont last if cut.

Likewise, Stephan Logan can fumble 3 punts tomorrow and he will make the roster. The guy has had 2 solid performances, a dominating year in the CFL returning kicks and any team needing a PR would pick him up. IMO, both will be Steelers on monday.

Preacher
09-02-2009, 06:40 PM
No, he will be playing on Thursday, but if you have ever had a hamstring injury, you will know that they dont get back to 100% in 2 weeks. Essentially Tank has to play on a bum hammy to try and make the team, but I dont think the coaching staff is gonna push him.

My guess is as another poster said, Redman is easier to hide on the PS and probably will end up there. Summers might get the #4 RB spot because of his draft status. Either way.......the #4 RB battle has never really interested me much.

Ok :thumbsup:

Thanks. Yeah, I know what a bad hamstring is like.... really messes with your explosion, both in running and blocking.

So tomorrow probably won't be a fair test if he does see the first string. However, if he impresses with a first string start on a bad hamstring....WATCH OUT!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok :thumbsup:

Thanks. Yeah, I know what a bad hamstring is like.... really messes with your explosion, both in running and blocking.

So tomorrow probably won't be a fair test if he does see the first string. However, if he impresses with a first string start on a bad hamstring....WATCH OUT!

I think Mendenhall and the 1st team get 1 series, then Moore might get a couple and Vincent, Redman and Summers are gonna get time with the 2nd and 3rd string teams.

Not gonna see Summers or Redman with the 1st string IMO. You can evaluate guys fine without having to play vs or with the 1's, because Carolina isnt gonna risk anybody on their 1st string defense playing too much either.

pancake
09-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Logan's a lock in my estimation.
Let's see who gets the secondary carries tomorrow night. That will give us a big clue what the coaches are scripting.

I doubt it will be Tank because he has been looked at as direct competition with Davis as a lead blocker and special teams guy. I doubt it will be Davis because we already know what he's got. I doubt it will be Vincent because he has been unspectacular over two pre-seasons now.

My hunch is we'll see Tank leading Redman into the hole in the 2nd half tomorrow.

I agree and don't see how anyone could predict different. If we could keep Rossum (sp?) on the 53, don't see why not the talented Logan.

I don't think Redman has much of a chance at this point, but we'll see.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Logan's a lock in my estimation.

. I agree, that is why I listed him as the #6 WR to be kept on the roster and the Steelers only keep 6 D linemen.

feuerstarta
09-02-2009, 07:09 PM
I agree with Blast Furnace, Burnett got an INT that he almost took for 6 on a great read. He wont last if cut.

Likewise, Stephan Logan can fumble 3 punts tomorrow and he will make the roster. The guy has had 2 solid performances, a dominating year in the CFL returning kicks and any team needing a PR would pick him up. IMO, both will be Steelers on monday.

As I showed with my stats in the post about final 53 roster. Burnett has a lot of pass breakups. I know the chargers are looking at him. also with his best friend/former roommate from school in K.Smith in det- they are looking too for a cb, he will not clear waivers.

everyone wants him cut because of two fumbles. holmes, ben, ward, bettis all had more than 2 their first season... did we cut them?