PDA

View Full Version : Peter King predictions

Vis
09-02-2009, 12:00 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/08/31/steelers/

11-5

Former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was a guest at the Pittsburgh camp for three days this summer and left raving about the team's stability. "The whole defensive staff has [coordinator] Dick LeBeau's system down to a T," Shanahan says. "They've all been here five, six years at least, every defensive coach. I can't tell you how important that is, to have every coach be able to teach the system just the way the boss wants it taught. That's part of why they win. Imagine having three [head] coaches in 40 years. That doesn't happen in this business. They pick coaches who fit their style."

Predictions aside, who on the staff takes over if LeBeau retires?

Vis
09-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Here's his total prediction page

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html?eref=sihpT1

truesteelerfan
09-02-2009, 12:43 PM
He's not allowed to retire....ever.

fansince'76
09-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Predictions aside, who on the staff takes over if LeBeau retires?

My money's on Keith Butler.

CanadianSteel
09-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Nut hugging the *Pats - what else is new

fansince'76
09-02-2009, 01:01 PM

Considering the source, that's what I figured it would be which is why I didn't even bother clicking on the link.

Jackal
09-02-2009, 01:25 PM

Apparently, all you need is Tom Brady to win a Super Bowl. I guess their so-so defense doesn't matter.

We thumped those douchebags last year, and I hope we get to do it again this year with Brady at the helm.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM

I would say the same. I hope we can keep him long enough.

He's going to get asked to be a defensive coordinator soon, and it might be after this season when the coaching changes happen.

Hell, he might even get a few head coaching interviews. Who thought Mike Tomlin would get hired by the Steelers or Harbaugh would get the job in Baltimore?

Steel Head
09-02-2009, 01:29 PM
we should fire Arians next year and hire Shanahan as offensive coordinator

that would be awesome

MACH1
09-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Just give the cheats the damn trophy already. No need to play the season, its over. :coffee:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-02-2009, 01:43 PM

that would be awesome

Are you being serious?

Shannahan isn't going to take an offensive coordinators job. He will be a head coach after this season, guaranteed.

fansince'76
09-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Shannahan isn't going to take an offensive coordinators job. He will be a head coach after this season, guaranteed.

Agreed - I've been hearing rumors about Dallas here locally, unless the Cowboys go deep into the postseason - NFCCG appearance at a minimum, or Jones gives Phillips his walking papers.

09-02-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm glad King picked the patsies. I hope NOBODY picks the Steelers to repeat. We all know Coach T, and the team likes it that way as well.

The more Tommy Brady man-love, the better. The only thing that would have made his predictions better, would have been if he picked the rats to win the division.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Agreed - I've been hearing rumors about Dallas here locally, unless the Cowboys go deep into the postseason - NFCCG appearance at a minimum, or Jones gives Phillips his walking papers.

I haven't heard Dallas, but I wouldn't be surprised. I was thinking more like Washington when the Redskins finish 8-8 at the bottom of the division again and Zorn gets fired.

The_WARDen
09-02-2009, 02:57 PM

Why would he do that? Didn't he learn his lesson the first time he worked for a lunatic owner?

Venom
09-02-2009, 03:12 PM
He picked the Steelers for 9-7 and not making it to the Super Bowl . All I can say is GREAT !! I dont want anyone picking the Steelers to win it all !!

Michael Keller
09-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Joe Paterno

sharkweek
09-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Considering the source, that's what I figured it would be which is why I didn't even bother clicking on the link.

From my experience, Peter King is actually one of the few journalists that actually tends to speak favorably of the Steelers when it might not be the trendy thing at the time.

that would be awesome

lol, the same pipe dream popped into my head when I read about how he was a "guest" at camp...

Are you being serious?

Shanahan isn't going to take an offensive coordinators job. He will be a head coach after this season, guaranteed.

Of course he wasn't being completely serious, he was just fantasizing. Although that doesn't mean its completely out of the realm of possibility. Why not work for an incredible organization where all he has to worry about is the offense (his specialty)? He'd get to do what he loves most likely with far less stress and expectation. The biggest obstacle would be money. Maybe he has a enough and wouldn't mind taking a pay cut if he feels the other benefits are worthwhile. Then again, who knows, maybe the Steelers would be willing to pay him a coach's salary if they think his services would be worth it. Being the headcoach isn't super desirable at all times. Heck, Shanahan getting fired from Denver was essentially the same thing as if we would have fired Cowher...and no other team or organization would be as patient or understanding. Look at Schottenheimer with the Chargers...but you are most likely correct, there are far too many factors for it to happen, and it is most likely he'll end up on another team as head coach.

It really is fun to think about though. LeBeau and Shanahan, two legends at what they do...

pancake
09-02-2009, 05:30 PM
From my experience, Peter King is actually one of the few journalists that actually tends to speak favorably of the Steelers when it might not be the trendy thing at the time.

lol, the same pipe dream popped into my head when I read about how he was a "guest" at camp...

Of course he wasn't being completely serious, he was just fantasizing. Although that doesn't mean its completely out of the realm of possibility. Why not work for an incredible organization where all he has to worry about is the offense (his specialty)? He'd get to do what he loves most likely with far less stress and expectation. The biggest obstacle would be money. Maybe he has a enough and wouldn't mind taking a pay cut if he feels the other benefits are worthwhile. Then again, who knows, maybe the Steelers would be willing to pay him a coach's salary if they think his services would be worth it. Being the headcoach isn't super desirable at all times. Heck, Shanahan getting fired from Denver was essentially the same thing as if we would have fired Cowher...and no other team or organization would be as patient or understanding. Look at Schottenheimer with the Chargers...but you are most likely correct, there are far too many factors for it to happen, and it is most likely he'll end up on another team as head coach.

It really is fun to think about though. LeBeau and Shanahan, two legends at what they do...

It's not about the money, he wants to be the head man again and he will get that opportunity. I have also heard the Dallas rumor...

MongoSteeler
09-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Shanahan got fired from Denver due to a poor defensive showing for a couple of years. If he has head coach aspirations for next year could his visit have been a scouting trip on our assistants?

alittlejazzbird
09-02-2009, 06:57 PM

Peter's wife is from western PA and she and her family are huge Steelers fans; he does indeed speak favorably of them often. And I'm relieved that he didn't pick the Steelers to win it all; his awfulness at preseason predictions is well-known, as even he admits. I feel much better knowing he's got it completely wrong once again!

GridironWarrior
09-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Peter King fails again.

feuerstarta
09-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Peter King fails again.

But it is a fail I can get behind.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2009, 07:47 PM

That's where my money is too. :thumbsup: Probably why he never left with Wiz and Grimm.

devilsdancefloor
09-02-2009, 07:48 PM

:iagree:

sharkweek
09-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Peter's wife is from western PA and she and her family are huge Steelers fans; he does indeed speak favorably of them often. And I'm relieved that he didn't pick the Steelers to win it all; his awfulness at preseason predictions is well-known, as even he admits. I feel much better knowing he's got it completely wrong once again!

yes, I remember him stating that his brother in law prefers him to pick against the Steelers because he usually gets it wrong when he does :laughing:

stb_steeler
09-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Just give the cheats the damn trophy already. No need to play the season, its over. :coffee:
Never Never Never......they want it come an get it the hard way.:mallet:

Steelers & I
09-03-2009, 04:08 AM
Ef the Patsies, bring em on.

Galax Steeler
09-03-2009, 05:56 AM
I guess King will be another complete failure again this year with his perdictions.

mmalone
09-03-2009, 07:50 AM

that would be awesome

This Week.
:drink:

scsteeler
09-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Here's his total prediction page

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html?eref=sihpT1

The Patty's are always the favorite. I think Steelers are more of a 13-3 or 14-2 team this year. We will just have to see.

SteelerEmpire
09-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Who takes over after LeBeau retires ?? How about "Mean Joe Green" ....?? He's been working with the defense for decades now.... I figure he pretty much must have LeBeau's tactics and strategies down.... I doubt if that will ever really happen, but it would be cool.... But seriously, I wonder if LeBeau does have an apprentice that will take over that dreaded day he does leave...??

http://soxanddawgs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/nfl_g_steelerscelebration_576.jpg

onefortheotherhand
09-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Who takes over after LeBeau retires ?? How about "Mean Joe Green" ....?? He's been working with the defense for decades now.... I figure he pretty much must have LeBeau's tactics and strategies down.... I doubt if that will ever really happen, but it would be cool.... But seriously, I wonder if LeBeau does have an apprentice that will take over that dreaded day he does leave...??

http://soxanddawgs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02 /nfl_g_steelerscelebration_576.jpg

yeah that's what i was thinking after reading a few articles on mean joe working with the D :tt03:

Psyychoward86
09-03-2009, 11:56 AM

i've heard this a lot.

Psyychoward86
09-03-2009, 11:58 AM

http://soxanddawgs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/nfl_g_steelerscelebration_576.jpg

A great player does not necessarily make a great coach. There are very few people who were successful as both a player and a coach. There's few exceptions like Dick Lebeau, Mike Ditka, etc., but he probably isnt the way to go imho.

revefsreleets
09-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Steelers fans unsatisfied with Arians would HATE Shanahan anyway...he runs a finesse West Coast offense...pure zone blocking, it's almost the antithesis of Steelers football.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
09-03-2009, 03:22 PM
I like the sleeper pick of the Texans to win the South. Otherwise, pretty much crap.

MDSteel15
09-03-2009, 11:09 PM

that would be awesome

Why not this year?